ADVERTISEMENT

NJ HS LAX Sectional Finals

RU23

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2010
I know all eyes will be on RU tomorrow, but I thought the NJ high schoolers playing for sectional titles tomorrow deserved some love. Lots of perennial powers will be in action

Bridgewater-Hunterdon Central in North Group 4 is my game of the day. HC is 18-0 but Bridgewater just took out the #1 seed Ridgewood and has some storied history and at least two Rutgers commits to my knowledge (the Kurdyla brothers).

Summit-West Essex in North Group 2 should also be a heckuva matchup - they both just have just 2 losses on the season to state powerhouses.

Both Non-Public A semis are also excellent - Don Bosco vs Delbarton and Seton Hall Prep vs St. Augustine are filled with studs.

Rumson DESTROYED Manasquan in the South Group 2 final today. Rumson has an incredible team and played a national schedule including IMG and New Canaan.

Plenty of other good games on tap too!

I know all eyes will be on RU tomorrow, but I thought the NJ high schoolers playing for sectional titles tomorrow deserved some love. Lots of perennial powers will be in action

Bridgewater-Hunterdon Central in North Group 4 is my game of the day. HC is 18-0 but Bridgewater just took out the #1 seed Ridgewood and has some storied history and at least two Rutgers commits to my knowledge (the Kurdyla brothers).

Summit-West Essex in North Group 2 should also be a heckuva matchup - they both just have just 2 losses on the season to state powerhouses.

Both Non-Public A semis are also excellent - Don Bosco vs Delbarton and Seton Hall Prep vs St. Augustine are filled with studs.

Rumson DESTROYED Manasquan in the South Group 2 final today. Rumson has an incredible team and played a national schedule including IMG and New Canaan.

Plenty of other good games on tap too!
Saw Rumson early in the season, very good team but I am not sure they can handle Summit's zone. I think this is another team that dominates in the south and then comes up to play a traditional power in NJ and comes up short.

I actually think that Scotch Plains and Chatham will be a good game. Chatham has found itself since it fired its head coach and replaced him with, Former Scarlet Knight, Christian Scarpello. Scotch Plains has gone from a scrappy hard working team to a team that exudes talents and confidence. I would not be surprised to see Scotch Plains in the TOC this year.

I do not actually think that the Non-Public A games will be that close, DBP and SHP are both really good and should win by a couple. This sets up for an amazing matchup of teams that could be favored to win the last TOC ever.

Central and BR are long and storied rivals. Central has won the last three meetings including two one-goal games and last year's playoff meeting. BR needs to find a way to win face-offs, they could not last year and had to depend on unbelievable goalie play to keep them in the game. The matchup of Creter at the X vs. the BR faceoff guys will be important. I think if BR can win FO's and give the Kurdyla's and company the ball a few more times they can come away with a win. Central's game plan will be to control the ball and the clock.

Saw Rumson early in the season, very good team but I am not sure they can handle Summit's zone. I think this is another team that dominates in the south and then comes up to play a traditional power in NJ and comes up short.

I actually think that Scotch Plains and Chatham will be a good game. Chatham has found itself since it fired its head coach and replaced him with, Former Scarlet Knight, Christian Scarpello. Scotch Plains has gone from a scrappy hard working team to a team that exudes talents and confidence. I would not be surprised to see Scotch Plains in the TOC this year.

I do not actually think that the Non-Public A games will be that close, DBP and SHP are both really good and should win by a couple. This sets up for an amazing matchup of teams that could be favored to win the last TOC ever.

Central and BR are long and storied rivals. Central has won the last three meetings including two one-goal games and last year's playoff meeting. BR needs to find a way to win face-offs, they could not last year and had to depend on unbelievable goalie play to keep them in the game. The matchup of Creter at the X vs. the BR faceoff guys will be important. I think if BR can win FO's and give the Kurdyla's and company the ball a few more times they can come away with a win. Central's game plan will be to control the ball and the clock.
I tend to agree about the non-publics, Delby and St. Augustine are really, really good and will put up a fight but should lose……..ehhh on second thought St. Augustine can definitely pull the upset.

Disagree about Rumson - they played a tough schedule including teams up north and out of state. Beat Bridgewater by 8 goals! Lost to SHP, St. Augustine and IMG by just one…

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Checked some scores while we're in the delay:

Scotch Plains/Chatham was an awesome game. Scotch Plains pulled off an OT thriller 10-9 and will face Shawnee in the Group 3 Finals who beat Clearview today 14-11.

Bridgewater took care of Hunterdon Central 10-6 - RU 2023 commit Colin Kurdyla really came alive in the 4th and finished with 5 goals and 2 assists. His older brother/2022 RU commit Brady had a goal himself. Bridgewater will face Southern next who beat Lenape 7-4 today to win South Group 4.

As expected, Mountain Lakes destroyed Glen Rock to win North Group 1. Can't find the winner of South Group 1 between Caldwell and Haddonfield but Mountain Lakes shouldn't have much trouble with either of them in the Group 1 Final.

Summit won 10-6 against West Essex and as mentioned earlier will face Rumson in the Group 2 Final - I think that'll be a dogfight. Winner of that might be the favorite to win it all along with.....

St Augustine who knocked off Seton Hall Prep 9-8 in a thriller! Told ya St. Augustine had a chance....but who could've expected this......

....in the other Non-Public A semi, but it looks like Delbarton was up on Don Bosco 9-2 about 3 hours ago....I'm assuming they might be in a lightning delay there now? Don't see any updates. EDIT: the game was suspended at 9-2 with a quarter to go, will resume tomorrow.

And finally in Non-Public B, Rutgers Prep will take on Montclair Kimberly in the final.

All that's to say this will be a really fun last TOC - plenty of perennial powers have their usual solid teams - Mountain Lakes, Summit, Delbarton, Bridgewater, St. Augustine, even Rumson in my opinion has an excellent chance to win it all. A lot of parity across the state this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: jreinsdorf
I tend to agree about the non-publics, Delby and St. Augustine are really, really good and will put up a fight but should lose……..ehhh on second thought St. Augustine can definitely pull the upset.

Disagree about Rumson - they played a tough schedule including teams up north and out of state. Beat Bridgewater by 8 goals! Lost to SHP, St. Augustine and IMG by just one…
Nothing against Rumson and if they were group 3 or 4 I’d say you were right but Summit’s zone is tough to get ready for in 2 days. But, the would be the one southern team that I could see winning in there group

Scotch Plains/Chatham was an awesome game. Scotch Plains pulled off an OT thriller 10-9 and will face Shawnee in the Group 3 Finals who beat Clearview today 14-11.

Bridgewater took care of Hunterdon Central 10-6 - RU 2023 commit Colin Kurdyla really came alive in the 4th and finished with 5 goals and 2 assists. His older brother/2022 RU commit Brady had a goal himself. Bridgewater will face Southern next who beat Lenape 7-4 today to win South Group 4.

As expected, Mountain Lakes destroyed Glen Rock to win North Group 1. Can't find the winner of South Group 1 between Caldwell and Haddonfield but Mountain Lakes shouldn't have much trouble with either of them in the Group 1 Final.

Summit won 10-6 against West Essex and as mentioned earlier will face Rumson in the Group 2 Final - I think that'll be a dogfight. Winner of that might be the favorite to win it all along with.....

St Augustine who knocked off Seton Hall Prep 9-8 in a thriller! Told ya St. Augustine had a chance....but who could've expected this......

....in the other Non-Public A semi, but it looks like Delbarton was up on Don Bosco 9-2 about 3 hours ago....I'm assuming they might be in a lightning delay there now? Don't see any updates. EDIT: the game was suspended at 9-2 with a quarter to go, will resume tomorrow.

And finally in Non-Public B, Rutgers Prep will take on Montclair Kimberly in the final.

All that's to say this will be a really fun last TOC - plenty of perennial powers have their usual solid teams - Mountain Lakes, Summit, Delbarton, Bridgewater, St. Augustine, even Rumson in my opinion has an excellent chance to win it all. A lot of parity across the state this year.
was at the HC - Bridgewater game...Colin Kurdyla complete player, HC forgot to cover him in second half. Creter dominated FO, yet HC didnt capitalize in transition..

Glad to SPF get it. They punched us in the mouth 2nd round of states. Glad HC and Bridgewater made it to the finals. Two very good teams.

Reactions: RU-Hunter
The Kurdyla bros are going to get be something to watch. Huge recruits for the program. Those kids as developed juniors and seniors have a chance to be elite.

Reactions: Leonard23 and gef21

Thanks for the updates

Just to add some more info regarding Rumson. Even though this is a HS thread I gotta add that they have crazy talent coming up behind that. They are dominating the REC leagues in Monmouth and Ocean county from grades 3-8 basically. That town is all in on lax and its only going to continue.

The Kurdyla bros are going to get be something to watch. Huge recruits for the program. Those kids as developed juniors and seniors have a chance to be elite.
Colin had a step down from 14 against us into the top corner that was an absolute piss missile. My goalie is a solid goalie, going to a good NESCAC, and he got smoked by it. I will be happy when they are both graduated and I just get to watch them play and not have to prepare for them.

Reactions: Caliknight
Colin had a step down from 14 against us into the top corner that was an absolute piss missile. My goalie is a solid goalie, going to a good NESCAC, and he got smoked by it. I will be happy when they are both graduated and I just get to watch them play and not have to prepare for them.
Curious about your take on them. From afar it looks like Colin is the real prize - 63 goals and 23 assists (so far) as a junior middie, compared to 59 goals and 38 assists for Brady as a senior attack. Colin also led the team in scoring last year as a sophomore (by just one goal over Brady).

Is Colin definitely better or are the stats misleading? Brady more well-rounded as a passer?

Curious about your take on them. From afar it looks like Colin is the real prize - 63 goals and 23 assists (so far) as a junior middie, compared to 59 goals and 38 assists for Brady as a senior attack. Colin also led the team in scoring last year as a sophomore (by just one goal over Brady).

Is Colin definitely better or are the stats misleading? Brady more well-rounded as a passer?
Was at the game yesterday. Friends kid is on BR. Brady hurt his hamstring against Ridgewood. He was not very mobile yesterday and did not play much if at all in the 2nd half. From parents on team think Colin is the better of the 2.

I’ll leave it for someone else to say who is better. Both were highly coveted by the very top programs in the sport. Maryland’s head coach sat in their living room and told Colin he was the top recruit in his class they wanted. Maryland doesn’t lose too many of those battles. Both of them could be playing for any team in the country. It’s going to be fun seeing them play and evolve. Spent a little time with them at the Penn St game. Great kids. Rutgers kids.

Both are phenomenal players and terrific young men. I hate having to prep for either of them. They do different things but both are very dangerous from multiple places.

As a Rutgers fan I am extremely excited that they are going to RU.

Just another note UMD staff ( Tillman and Bernhardt) came to see Colin play football the day before he went to. Is it Maryland. Literally, drove 3 hours to watch him play even though they were goi g to see him the next day. I am not sure that UMD Recruited Brady

Not sure if Maryland did but he definitely got recruited by Acc/Ivy teams.

First off these two kids are absolutely great gets by BB, great players but better kids from a great family, both stories above are true. It is hard to say which one will be better in college,
Brady is a little more of the QB type and tends to want to be a pass-first kid but he is big and strong enough to beta his guy and get to the front of the cage. Brady has seen a lot of early doubles and soft shuts to try and limit his touches. I could see Brady getting some early run at midfield next year he is a really good dodger from X and a very hard cover for a short stick.
Colin may be the best middie in NJ right now, he is an impossible cover for a short stick. He is long and fast with excellent COD which allows him to get his shot against almost anyone. Colin's first goal against Central he beat their pole and beat the slide who was also a pole and got to the front of the net. Like I said he is very hard to cover. Colin is also a Plus defender Colin plays with a little edge, You will not see him for 2 years and by then he will simply be a man amongst boys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT