ADVERTISEMENT

No. 16 Rutgers Wrestling Treks to No. 1 Penn State for Sunday Dual / Match Thread

Well … hated to see losses in last 5 and ending the match on a pin … but still a very solid performance.

RS'ing someone who is already one of the best in the country because of an inability to beat one wrestler seems a bridge too far and a bit of an overreaction. Let's not forget the kid from UNI who beat Poz last year is only a freshman. Lot's of assumptions and unknown variables here.
While I don't agree with it, there's a reason many of these kids repeat 5th and/or 8th grade, prep or grey shirt a year or 2 after HS, and then RS in college...

While I don't agree with it, there's a reason many of these kids repeat 5th and/or 8th grade, prep or grey shirt a year or 2 after HS, and then RS in college...
Yeah for sure. I just dont think the reason would be because of an inability to beat one person, especially when you are talking about kids in junior high/high school. There's usually a myriad of reasons and factors that go into a decision like that.

Reactions: Leonard23
RS'ing someone who is already one of the best in the country because of an inability to beat one wrestler seems a bridge too far and a bit of an overreaction. Let's not forget the kid from UNI who beat Poz last year is only a freshman. Lot's of assumptions and unknown variables here.
You may be correct, but in my humble opinion the goal of the coaches and Poz is to put him in the best position to win a National title. He is that good. He just might be behind a guy at PSU that could win 4. Next years team without Rivera and Bulsak is going to rebuilding a little, might be the right time to redshirt him.

You know given the family pedigree of Dean, against Buldak's, I think Bulaak is the better wrestler. Max's father Dave, has given both his boys every advantage to be great wrestlers. On the opposite end you got Bulsak who doesn't come from that lineage. There's something to be said about that.

You may be correct, but in my humble opinion the goal of the coaches and Poz is to put him in the best position to win a National title. He is that good. He just might be behind a guy at PSU that could win 4. Next years team without Rivera and Bulsak is going to rebuilding a little, might be the right time to redshirt him.
Would be a good question for Lex or another reporter to ask Goody what his thoughts are about that. Would genuinely be curious on his answer.

Poz is not even the clear #2 guy behind brooks.. would seem a bit extreme to rs mainly to avoid one guy.

Poz is not even the clear #2 guy behind brooks.. would seem a bit extreme to rs mainly to avoid one guy.
Like I said, my opinion. Amine is a 6 year senior at #2, Hidlay is a soph then the UNI wrestler at #4. Poz is right there with 3 and 4, razor thin difference.
The question is do you think Poz can win a title with Brooks in the way? I dont. I think he can win a title if Brooks is not in the weight class. I would give him two chances to win a title rather than one.
I am not worried about the team in the next two seasons, do not think we will be as good without Rivera and Bulsak. I would redshirt Poz and build the team for the 23/24.

If you RS Poz, you would create a spot for Janzer next year.
I am not sure Poz would want to be redshirted.
It looks like he lives and breathes wrestling.
I would rather hold the redshirt in the event he gets injured the next 3 years...
But, I am not a parent or coach.

I think POz did better against Brooks this year (even thou the score was the same). He got in on 2 shots, but lost the scrambles.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Rivera is on a mission. Even though he wrestled a backup, there is nothing stopping him. Can easily be a NC. MVB - what a gutsy performance. We all should be proud of him. Kanniard beat a non-scholarship kid. He didn't quit when down 4-1. We beat two of their back-ups and they beat 2 of our back-ups. All in all the team looked good. Just not at the level of the top teams. Our # 15 or # 16 ranking is about right.. Not sure about a redshirt for Poz. Would have kept Oliveri in redshirt. Ashnault wasn't ready his freshman year and took some poor losses. After his redshirt season, he was a 4 time AA.

Reactions: mikemessner
If you RS Poz, you would create a spot for Janzer next year.
I am not sure Poz would want to be redshirted.
It looks like he lives and breathes wrestling.
I would rather hold the redshirt in the event he gets injured the next 3 years...
But, I am not a parent or coach.

I think POz did better against Brooks this year (even thou the score was the same). He got in on 2 shots, but lost the scrambles.
No one is even close to Brooks so why wouldn't you RS?

Like I said, my opinion. Amine is a 6 year senior at #2, Hidlay is a soph then the UNI wrestler at #4. Poz is right there with 3 and 4, razor thin difference.
The question is do you think Poz can win a title with Brooks in the way? I dont. I think he can win a title if Brooks is not in the weight class. I would give him two chances to win a title rather than one.
I am not worried about the team in the next two seasons, do not think we will be as good without Rivera and Bulsak. I would redshirt Poz and build the team for the 23/24.
Good point. If Poz wanted his best chances at a title then maybe he should have RS this year to miss Amine too. I don’t think Poz can beat Brooks this year.. only maybe Amine can. Even if Poz rs though u never know, maybe Brooks get a medical year or another freshman phenom comes in the picture. Even if Brooks/Amine wasn’t in this year. Poz is in the title hunt but would still be an underdog vs the field to win.

Bulsak is so dominant when he gets the legs in and pounds them on top but the top guys like Dean know its coming and are prepared for it. Did you see how quick Dean got out of it both times Bulsak was on top. You could see Dean just waiting for it ready to counter. Not sure what you do about that if your Bulsak though I guess you have to keep doing what got you here.

No one is even close to Brooks so why wouldn't you RS?
The simplest answer is we don't know it would address or accomplish the stated goal of avoiding Brooks. We're assuming Brooks wrestles straight through his full eligibility w/o taking a year off. There's a not insignificant chance Brooks qualifies for and takes an Olympic redshirt for the 2024 cycle. He is on record saying 2024 is a goal of his. And the kid is a Cadet World Champ and Junior World Silver.

Bulsak is so dominant when he gets the legs in and pounds them on top but the top guys like Dean know its coming and are prepared for it. Did you see how quick Dean got out of it both times Bulsak was on top. You could see Dean just waiting for it ready to counter. Not sure what you do about that if your Bulsak though I guess you have to keep doing what got you here.

He's the man. Wish we had him all along or for a few more seasons. Though, he needs a few more moves on top. He's very strong and has the ability to do some damage. I said it a week or two ago, his opponents will be ready for the boots and they already are. Yet, hes still good enough to get them in! Also, he needs to work on taking more shots. He's right there with all the top wrestlers. Glad he's in the Big10 and in our room. He's got a lot of quality opponents coming up and it will all prepare him for the big show.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I kind of wondered the same thing when I saw that. Brandon Meredith is our backup 133, with 8 of 10 of his matches this year at 133. If Rivera hadn't done what he did yesterday, it would have been pretty concerning.
He may or may not have been doing some extracurricular activities yesterday

• Haha
Reactions: PSUer1989
I don’t believe in redshirting to avoid one wrestler. To me that’s no different than ducking.

There are also injuries, Olympics, other redshirts, weight changes, transfers, etc annually. Isn’t Poz expected to go 197 in the future?

Yeah OK but once you were able to buy anyone and everyone worth note for your wrestling club is when everything took off. What was that gift again $6 mil.? Money is more important otherwise the SKWC wouldn't be asking for it from me every month.
Cael came to PSU in 2009. The gift to the NLWC that you're discussing was in 2014, five years later. By the time they received that gift, PSU had already won four titles. And, winning titles allowed the recruitment of Retherford, Nickal, Nolf, and other top tier wrestlers.

You can't assume Brooks will stay at 184, either.
True, but it’s also not like Ferrari is a nobody either. The point is there is always going to be a top guy somewhere. You redshirt to avoid one guy and then another one will pop up. It’s rare that you get a weight class that doesn’t have at least one standout with multi champ potential. If Poz or whoever is ready to compete now, let him wrestle. It can’t be easy to sit on the sidelines.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I kind of wondered the same thing when I saw that. Brandon Meredith is our backup 133, with 8 of 10 of his matches this year at 133. If Rivera hadn't done what he did yesterday, it would have been pretty concerning.
Same guy who claimed Starocci has a “stupid face” and upset he trying to beat up a backup but celebrated SeaBass for doing the same thing.

Same guy who says Dean won because of his lineage compared to Bulsaks

Comical and pure entertainment

If you win you can do whatever you want, short of taunting your opponent. You want to do a backflip? Fine by me. Dumb faces? Who cares. Choreograph a dance number, doesn’t bother me. Best way to stop the showboating is to beat the guy that does it

Reactions: pish69
If you win you can do whatever you want, short of taunting your opponent. You want to do a backflip? Fine by me. Dumb faces? Who cares. Choreograph a dance number, doesn’t bother me. Best way to stop the showboating is to beat the guy that does it
Get a clue. If your going to showboat do it when you beat a rival or ranked opponent.

Reactions: mikemessner
True, but it’s also not like Ferrari is a nobody either. The point is there is always going to be a top guy somewhere. You redshirt to avoid one guy and then another one will pop up. It’s rare that you get a weight class that doesn’t have at least one standout with multi champ potential. If Poz or whoever is ready to compete now, let him wrestle. It can’t be easy to sit on the sidelines.
Yep. Agreed.

Same guy who claimed Starocci has a “stupid face” and upset he trying to beat up a backup but celebrated SeaBass for doing the same thing.

Same guy who says Dean won because of his lineage compared to Bulsaks

Comical and pure entertainment
And what's your pedigree with wrestling, that affords you the privilege of being the Scarlet Nation wrestling board armchair guru? Let's hear it.

Get a clue. If your going to showboat do it when you beat a rival or ranked opponent.
This is a ridiculous take. So he can’t celebrate because he’s too good? These guys put thousands of hours into their craft. They can do whatever they want when they win.

He literally ran to the middle of the mat, had his hand raised, shook hands and ran off the mat. You don’t like he tech called your guy- fine. But all he did was compete- just like SeaBass
You sound like the type of guy that has that stupid and fruity Nittany Lion roar as the ringtone on your phone.

Reactions: njsportsphan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT