ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 12/16/20 Snowstorm Thread: First Significant Winter Storm of the Season - Major Snow/Sleet/Rain

Today's 12Z global model runs just came out and not much change. All of them show at least 8-12" from Philly to NYC (along 95 and anywhere NW of there and even 20-30 miles SE of 95 for all but one model) with a couple showing up to 18" (and even more in some spots) for many and only one showing a sharp cutoff from snow to rain just SE of the NJ TPK in NJ, such that areas ~20 miles SE of 95 and towards the coast would get mostly rain. That model is the UK; last night the only one showing that cutoff was the Euro, which now shows the transition to some/mostly rain from about Vineland to Belmar, with even the coast getting several inches.

While these are just models and not forecasts, the forecasters do rely more heavily on models these days (mostly because they're much better than 20 or even 10 years ago). We're now just 78 hours from the start of the event (vs. the 7 am EST model initialization this morning), so this is certainly shaping up to be at least a major snowstorm from Weds afternoon through early Thursday (8" or more) for most. Wasn't going to post maps every time, but if anyone wants to see them, they're in the thread below or you can go to the model link below.

https://www.pivotalweather.com/mode...10_acc&rh=2020121312&fh=102&r=us_ma&dpdt=&mc=

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/1998-dec-16-18-possible-major-ec-snowstorm/page/74/

Edit: if the 40+ mph wind gusts inland and 50 mph+ gusts at the coast verify early Thursday, while it's still snowing heavily, which is likely before sunrise, that would be a blizzard. The one "nice" thing for many, especially N/W of 95, is that with temps in the low/mid 20s, this would be a dry, powdery snow that would be less likely to cling to trees/powerlines (especially with the wind), which might reduce power outages - and would make for some cool drifts. A powdery snow with a snow/liquid ratio of 20:1 is quite possible for those areas, meaning they could easily get 20" or more, while areas near 95, with the same mass of snow, might only get 10" if the snow/liquid ratio is a more typical 10" per 1" liquid.
@e5fdny , @knightfan7 , hopefully, we are in the clear. The latest graph for 08736 zip code (Wall) has us at all rain.

@e5fdny , @knightfan7 , hopefully, we are in the clear. The latest graph for 08736 zip code (Wall) has us at all rain.
If you're talking about Monday, you're likely all rain, but for the big storm, why would you think you're in the clear? I'd be surprised if you don't get at least 3-6" and more is possible. Unlikely to be all rain. The 18Z GFS just came out and gives you 15", while the 18Z NAM gives you 6" through 1 am Thursday, with 6 more hours of snow likely (the model ends at 1 am). The NWS graphic gives you 1.2" of rain followed by 6" of snow.

NTkuVAR.png

Reactions: Knight Shift
18z GFS woofing on 12-18 inch totals similar to Euro...its the Ukie vs the rest, the 18zNAM was warmer and not the best solution but way out of range

18z GFS woofing on 12-18 inch totals similar to Euro...its the Ukie vs the rest, the 18zNAM was warmer and not the best solution but way out of range
FYI, WW's first report shows the storm going more west and north. Most likely outcome for us is 3-6 inches.

If you're talking about Monday, you're likely all rain, but for the big storm, why would you think you're in the clear? I'd be surprised if you don't get at least 3-6" and more is possible. Unlikely to be all rain. The 18Z GFS just came out and gives you 15", while the 18Z NAM gives you 6" through 1 am Thursday, with 6 more hours of snow likely (the model ends at 1 am). The NWS graphic gives you 1.2" of rain followed by 6" of snow.

NTkuVAR.png
OK. I no longer have your back. I have bac's back, and we are coming for you. [roll]
Just realized the forecast graph I have been looking at is for Sea Girt, and not "Allenwood," which is the closest choice from NWS. You are correct.

But @knightfan7 and @e5fdny look to be in the clear. Remember last week when there were flurries a few miles west over here in Wall, @e5fdny did not have snow. We have a beach rental in Belmar, and we will go there Wednesday.

It's still early, it's clear a big storm is coming, very unclear the rain/snow line.

OK. I no longer have your back. I have bac's back, and we are coming for you. [roll]
Just realized the forecast graph I have been looking at is for Sea Girt, and not "Allenwood," which is the closest choice from NWS. You are correct.

But @knightfan7 and @e5fdny look to be in the clear. Remember last week when there were flurries a few miles west over here in Wall, @e5fdny did not have snow. We have a beach rental in Belmar, and we will go there Wednesday.
No, that's wrong - the NWS forecast is not going to have more than minor differences over 3-4 miles. In fact the graphic for Pt. Pleasant Beach shows 1.3" rain and 4" of snow, which is not that much different (yes 2" less snow, but it's not going to go from 6" to 0" over 4 miles). Are you looking at the right dates? The NWS point and click forecasts for any location default to the next 48 hours, which will show no snow for anyone SE of 95. To get the graphic I pasted for you, you need to click on the "hourly weather graphic" (once you've clicked on your location) and then near the top of the graphic you get, you need to click on the "48-hour period starting..." and select the time you want from the drop down, i.e., sometime Weds am to get the whole storm.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-74.04920&lat=40.11275#.X9ac09hKiMo

No, that's wrong - the NWS forecast is not going to have more than minor differences over 3-4 miles. In fact the graphic for Pt. Pleasant Beach shows 1.3" rain and 4" of snow, which is not that much different (yes 2" less snow, but it's not going to go from 6" to 0" over 4 miles). Are you looking at the right dates? The NWS point and click forecasts for any location default to the next 48 hours, which will show no snow for anyone SE of 95. To get the graphic I pasted for you, you need to click on the "hourly weather graphic" (once you've clicked on your location) and then near the top of the graphic you get, you need to click on the "48-hour period starting..." and select the time you want from the drop down, i.e., sometime Weds am to get the whole storm.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-74.04920&lat=40.11275#.X9ac09hKiMo
Maybe I need to do an update. This is what I have for Sea Girt.

Plotter.php

When I re-ran it fresh, it matches what you have. Foiled again!!!!

Awesome weather today. Took a third long drive in a span of four days. I don’t remember December being this warm when I was young.

Anyway...

The good news for everyone is that I took out my snowblower today to check it out and it fired right up; engine ran flawlessly. That strongly counters both my lack of a vehicle for snowy conditions and my nonfunctional generator, I think.

Had the snowblower failed to start, we would’ve been looking at a solid 5 feet across all of NJ. But it did. So I’m now thinking we will only see maybe 1 foot or less.

All these weather models are interesting, but clearly the weather hinges entirely on a combination of reverse preparedness and deep irony.

Awesome weather today. Took a third long drive in a span of four days. I don’t remember December being this warm when I was young.

Anyway...

The good news for everyone is that I took out my snowblower today to check it out and it fired right up; engine ran flawlessly. That strongly counters both my lack of a vehicle for snowy conditions and my nonfunctional generator, I think.

Had the snowblower failed to start, we would’ve been looking at a solid 5 feet across all of NJ. But it did. So I’m now thinking we will only see maybe 1 foot or less.

All these weather models are interesting, but clearly the weather hinges entirely on a combination of reverse preparedness and deep irony.
Washed my car on that warm sunday 2 weeks back. Today I did that headlight rejuvation thing, which worked great. Had to take off a layer too, working in a t-shirt.

Reactions: mildone
The NWS is pretty much all-in for a major snowstorm at least from Philly to NYC and all points NW of that line. My NWS point-and-click gives me 15" of snow in the Edison area and for Montgomery it's 14" and it's 15" for the Hoboken/JC/Manhattan area. They could be wrong, but they're fairly bullish as am I. Just too much cold air in place to get rain too far inland, according to most of the mets I've been reading.

From the NWS-NYC:

Given the supply of low level cold air and unlikelihood of
warmer air intruding aloft, this event looks to be all snow for
just about the entire region, except maybe the south shore of
eastern Long Island for a time. Too early to get into the
mesoscale details here, but confidence in significant snowfall
amounts over 6 inches continues to increase, with potential
for over a foot of snow in areas that experience the best
mesoscale lift and snow growth NW of the low track.

NE winds should also be quite strong along the coast due to the
pressure gradient between the strong high to the north and the
developing low, as high as 25-35 mph with gusts up to to 45
mph, causing considerable blowing and drifting of snow and at
least near blizzard conditions.

From the NWS-Philly (their comment about "NWNJ" below includes Mercer/Somerset/Middlesex, as all of their point and clicks give all snow; need to get towards Freehold up to Keansburg and east of there to get into a fair amount of rain, followed by a lot of snow):

In terms of the sensible weather and impacts with the storm,
again, still early to be confident in the details but expect
precip to develop SW to NE around the late morning early
afternoon time frame. Most areas should at least start as snow
due to the cold airmass in place with the possible exception
being southern Delmarva east toward south coastal NJ where it
should be mostly rain. In fact a period of at least a few hours
of snow, possibly moderate to heavy at times is likely near and
especially north of the urban corridor by the latter part of
the afternoon. The challenge then becomes by around the early
evening time frame...if the low tracks farther north/west along
the coast then over over Delmarva mixed precipitation and rain
could make it into SE PA east through Ocean County...basically
through the I-95 corridor including Philly and possibly even a
bit farther north. This would limit storm total snow. A track
farther south could mean snow amounts well over 6 inches even
into places like Philadelphia. Again confidence on these details
is low but one way or another it will be quite messy. To the
north though through the northern and western Philly suburbs
through the remainder of eastern PA and NW NJ confidence is
higher in larger snow amounts. Amounts cold potentially
exceeding a foot in places.
The other concern that needs to be
highlighted with this storm is winds. NE winds gusting 40 to 50+
mph look increasingly likely near the coast and this could be
enough to result in some power outages.

Reactions: Cabana Man
Maybe I need to do an update. This is what I have for Sea Girt.

Plotter.php

When I re-ran it fresh, it matches what you have. Foiled again!!!!
Dude, you're not even showing the snow section in what you pasted. Sea Girt is showing over 5" of snow after that 1.3" of rain. The immediate coast is where the variability is likely to be highest - you guys could see almost all rain and you could also see over a foot of snow (models show both).

Dude, you're not even showing the snow section in what you pasted. Sea Girt is showing over 5" of snow after that 1.3" of rain. The immediate coast is where the variability is likely to be highest - you guys could see almost all rain and you could also see over a foot of snow (models show both).
There was no snow there, because the data was not updated. When I closed the graph, and did the search again, it matched the graphic you posted.

Reactions: RU848789
Show me the snowwww , since this is my last 6 or less months before I head to my farm in the highlands of Colombia / coffee region , throw all the snow you want at me you weather weenies 😘

Reactions: thegock and RUpop
So has The Weather Channel named this storm yet? If not, it ain't gonna happen!

Show me the snowwww , since this is my last 6 or less months before I head to my farm in the highlands of Colombia / coffee region , throw all the snow you want at me you weather weenies 😘
I hope you recall that I volunteered to be your coffee taster!

Reactions: Zimm80
the 0Z NAM is way different than the other models...more sleet and more snow north of 80...verbatim it isnt what those who want a big storm want to see

the 0Z NAM is way different than the other models...more sleet and more snow north of 80...verbatim it isnt what those who want a big storm want to see
It's at the end of its accuracy range and is the only one showing mid-level warmth leading to sleet. Would still be the same frozen mass, but just half sleet/half snow for many along 95. If it shows this within 48 hours, I'd say it might be onto something, but we'll see.

It's at the end of its accuracy range and is the only one showing mid-level warmth leading to sleet. Would still be the same frozen mass, but just half sleet/half snow for many along 95. If it shows this within 48 hours, I'd say it might be onto something, but we'll see.

you know if it should 18 inches plus everyone would be clinging to it. but I agree its a bit out of its range

going to see if the Ukie holds with its outlier solution tonight

The NWS-Philly issued Winter Storm Watches a few hours ago. They split them into two camps: 5" or more (since sleet/rain might intrude) for W. Monmouth, Middlesex, Mercer, and the counties in SEPA/SNJ bordering the Delaware and 12" or more (where all snow is forecast) for Somerset, Hunterdon, Upper Bucks/W. Montco and all the E-PA and NWNJ counties NW of those counties. Pretty early to issue a watch Sunday evening for an event starting Wednesday afternoon - that's pretty high confidence in having an impactful storm.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=phi&wwa=winter storm watch

and model mayhem starts...GFS is not line with the RGEM at all....its scaring all those northern NJ and southern NY peeps because it really cuts their totals as its more suppressed leaving the heaviest amounts around a foot in central jersey to philly

Snowblower started right up, even though did not drain the gas from last winter. It's ready for lots and lots of snow.
I forgot to run my snowblower dry last winter and now it will not even start. It is only 2 years old. But!!!!!! Against my wife's wishes, I kept our original snowblower from 1995. It has not been run in 3 years and has 3 yr old gas in it....started right up (yeah it blew quite a cloud of smoke for the first minute), so now tomorrow I will be draining and cleaning the carburetor on our new snowblower.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT