ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 12/16/20 Snowstorm Thread: First Significant Winter Storm of the Season - Major Snow/Sleet/Rain

Thanks Numbers, really appreciate these threads. I am a snow weenie so a nice snowfall would be fun since I'm working from home and my 2 yr old daughter would love it I think. When are the next model runs?

Thanks Numbers, really appreciate these threads. I am a snow weenie so a nice snowfall would be fun since I'm working from home and my 2 yr old daughter would love it I think. When are the next model runs?
I agree . It’s a good premium site level information provided here .

Reactions: RU848789
this is a good first call for now and can be adjusted as the mesoscale models come into range

image.png.751fc3cba5edc082303c26c2a362f392.png
bac posting some wishcasting!

Reactions: RU'70
dude its freaking Lee Goldberg meteorologist on Channel 7..you just embarrassed yourself

its one of many different forecasts that will be out until the final model runs in the next 36 hours. Its a pretty good way to start until we see what the NAM does

Reactions: MulletCork
12z Euro is in and it has a slight shift south with 12-18 inches of snow over the following areas: North-Central MD, most of central and eastern PA, CNJ & NNJ, all of Connecticut, NYC, Long Island, Rhode Island, southeast Mass and Westchester, NY region. Southern NJ is mostly rain. It's currently the most aggressive of all models with the expansive snow shield.

131294208_3695043727205853_7139037026011695342_o.png

12z Euro is in and it has a slight shift south with 12-18 inches of snow over the following areas: North-Central MD, most of central and eastern PA, CNJ & NNJ, all of Connecticut, NYC, Long Island, Rhode Island, southeast Mass and Westchester, NY region. Southern NJ is mostly rain. It's currently the most aggressive of all models with the expansive snow shield.

From that it looks like at least 50% of "Southern NJ" is snow. Looks like Cape May and Atlantic and southern Ocean County and extreme SE Burlington rain, with most of Camden, Gloucester, Burlington, Salem and Cumberland getting some sort of snow.

Unless I am reading the map wrong.

this is a good first call for now and can be adjusted as the mesoscale models come into range

image.png.751fc3cba5edc082303c26c2a362f392.png
Agreed, good call - always liked Lee Goldberg. Leaves room to go up or down if it goes either way. Pretty similar to what I was saying (roughly 8-12" for the 95 corridor).

Actually both the GFS is more expansive with snowfall amounts SE of 95 and the CMC is about the same - look at my post above with all 4 global models.

I’m supposed to fly out of Philly at 3pm on Wednesday. Odds of that happening?

I’m supposed to fly out of Philly at 3pm on Wednesday. Odds of that happening?
Shouldn't be that heavy at 3 pm yet and it might be rain or a mix at that point, so decent chance of getting out; flights after 5-6 pm from Philly/NYC region (and especially after 8 pm) will likely see a lot of cancellations.

DT/WxRisk has been on this since last weekend - he's very good in the 7-10 day range and he's been calling for a big I-95 snowstorm since I started posting on this on Friday morning (part of why I started the thread, actually). Here's a wider view of the map.

EpOpQ0MXEAQ54iV

NAM starts to come aboard...still a funky warm nose in the Philly Trenton area so that will have to be ironed out

sn10_acc.us_ma.png

Very doubtful that warm nose verifies - or at least not that far NW of 95. Also, a big part of why eastern Monmouth into Ocean has a lot more snow than before is the extended backend snowfall from the deformation zone as it pivots, which likely won't hit further west - we often see the coast getting a bunch of backend snows on the big storms.

GFS continues to bullseye central jersey keeping the storm the furthest south and really slicing totals in NW Jersey and southern ny

sn10_024h.us_ne.png

these guys are usually good, I like their call at the moment for NJ, except for NW, I think they will have to adjust their numbers in PA and NY downward though

image.png.d6e9b22d93a46982a8333e2ac3571fb8.png

Reactions: RU848789
I was worried about Claire in July went she went AWOL but found out from other patrons she had a virus but not Covid-19. Those masks are great...little expensive but worth it. I like the little sayings on them beside the Hillsborough Deli logo. Our fish don't smell, thickest sausage in town, our bologna is round ready and right, we don't do 4" we do 12".
Claire; Jen and the 2 Karen(s) emphasized the masks with the thick sausage and 12" slogan were selling the best and they're almost out of stock.
Maybe he thought it was Heidi Freeze forcast.
I think I saw Amy freeze at the Hillsborough Deli. She’s good friends with Karen

Reactions: RocktheRac
Updated NWS-Philly snowfall map. Still a sharp cutoff from 95 towards the coast, but starting to look like Trenton to NB to SI are in for at least a foot and up to 18".

Edit - and NWS-NYC watches up for all of NENJ/NYC/LI/SECT/LHV for the potential of 12-17" of snow...

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=phi&wwa=winter storm watch

8F9814FA-6178-4670-AE18-BF40CE87529F.thumb.png.b067deed4d6eb81172521f67ad6a4a2c.png

NWS-NYC updated their map - 12-16" everywhere, except down to 6-8" for the far east end of LI, but I guarantee you they get more than that - they always cash in at the end of these storms.

131229987_10220610732132285_8012529545114861128_o.jpg

Important PSA:

Listen up, New Jersey: Don’t trust all those wild snowfall predictions flooding social media

It's pretty funny that N.com is posting this, because it is a leader in hyping snow storms. If the northwet corner of the state gets snow, nj.com acts as though all of NJ is going to get socked.

Claire; Jen and the 2 Karen(s) emphasized the masks with the thick sausage and 12" slogan were selling the best and they're almost out of stock.

I think I saw Amy freeze at the Hillsborough Deli. She’s good friends with Karen

They got a special Wednesday. 12 inches gets u additional 6" sub.

Forecast from TWC, which has been pretty good the past few years with snowfall forecasts - they were almost the only ones who called the big bust for Jan-2015.

1GA24Cm.png

Don’t see Nebraska flying in on Thursday.
Maybe they fly in Wednesday morning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT