ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 1st oil change on a new car

Doteman

Senior
Mar 15, 2007
Just bought a 2014 Nissan Sentra last month, I'm up to 1000 miles on it, my father said you should change the oil on a new car at 500 miles on a new car, to clean out any shavings that came loose from breaking in a new engine, is that thinking outdated?

Originally posted by Doteman:
Just bought a 2014 Nissan Sentra last month, I'm up to 1000 miles on it, my father said you should change the oil on a new car at 500 miles on a new car, to clean out any shavings that came loose from breaking in a new engine, is that thinking outdated?
Yes.. it is.

Follow the manual or dealer instructions.

New car oil has special additives that are not included in oil change. You will cause damage to your engine without it.

Originally posted by jay_hq:

Yes.. it is.

Follow the manual or dealer instructions.

New car oil has special additives that are not included in oil change. You will cause damage to your engine without it.
+1

Many of the new cars don't require an oil change for about 10,000 miles. Engines and oil are improved from what they were 10 and 20 years ago. You should just follow your service manual.

As said above, do refer to the owners manual or the dealership as to the timeframe/mileage of when to do the first oil change. Also find out (if you don't know already) if your car is using regular ol' dino oil or synthetic. Most likely it's the former, but it does impact the frequency of oil changes. The tolerances on today's cars are so much tighter than in the past, and the filtration system so much better, that the 500/1000 mile oil change is really not necessary.

the logic for the first oil change still applies - the reason for it is that any metal filings from machining/building the engine will be expunge with the oil change. The dealers will tell you otherwise - no harm in doing an early ooil change.

10k for my two new jeeps. No need to waste your $$ doing it any earlier that what the manufacturer recommends

Originally posted by RUBigFrank:

the logic for the first oil change still applies - the reason for it is that any metal filings from machining/building the engine will be expunge with the oil change. The dealers will tell you otherwise - no harm in doing an early ooil change.
Uh there is very much harm caused by doing this in modern cars. Please dont supply wrong information.

The 500 or 1,000 mile oil change is old school mentality. Check the manufacture's manual for car. My 2014 Audi had its first oil change after 5,000 miles. It requires the high end synthetic oil.

My Honda has an oil gauge on it. I only bring it in when it says to and I ony bring it to the dealer. May be more expensive but has saved me in the long run.

Changing oil on a new car at 500 miles went the same way as rubbing whiskey on the baby's gums when he's teething. We all know, now, that you NEVER give a child whiskey, until they're at least 2.

Uh there is very much harm caused by doing this in modern cars. Please dont supply wrong information.
How does it cause harm? What are "special additives"?

Originally posted by RU4Real:
Changing oil on a new car at 500 miles went the same way as rubbing whiskey on the baby's gums when he's teething. We all know, now, that you NEVER give a child whiskey, until they're at least 2.
And you definitely don't waste the good stuff on 'em!

Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

I'd like to know this too.

Originally posted by DJ Spanky:
Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

I'd like to know this too.
Every manufacturer varies thats why they include a manual

For honda their break in additive is molybdenum sulfide that is an anti friction additive. they require it during the break in period of the engine. They are very strict in the manual about NOT changing the oil for thr first 5000 miles. are there metal fillings in new engines? Yes but its different i modern engines and they are small enough for the filter.

its up to you who you want to follow.

The "evil" engineers that know their product or people on thia board.

I totally agree that you need to get the correct answer from both the manual and somebody from the car's maintenance department. I would not take any salesmen's answer.

I did not know that there was a special oil developed for new engines until I took delivery of my new lawn tractor. I was specifically told to make sure I got it out after the break in stage which is measured in hours of operation in this case. My understanding was that it was lighter than normal and would make the break easier on the motor but break down faster.
I have no knowledge on what car manufacturers use, but I always got the original oil out early and then after 5,000 miles after that based on what Consumers Reports found in tests. Synthetics are different from regular oil,

This. The reason why they say don't change it early is so you don't waste oil and so your car will break down sooner giving them work. I would change it at 1000 miles. Also don't race it and drive at varying speeds for the first 1000 miles. If you change the oil yourself you will see that the oil has a dark sort of silvery look to it.

Originally posted by Extra Point:

This. The reason why they say don't change it early is so you don't waste oil and so your car will break down sooner giving them work. I would change it at 1000 miles. Also don't race it and drive at varying speeds for the first 1000 miles. If you change the oil yourself you will see that the oil has a dark sort of silvery look to it.
wait wut

If you love your car, always use the OEM oil filter. It will be a few bucks more but will work better. The frams and other filters may not filter adequately.

seems like some of the "experts" still adhere to the old rule......

Tom Torbjornsen | HighGearMedia.com
The only caveat comes with that first oil change. Make sure you change your new car's oil and filter for the first time at 1500 miles unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer. The reason? Metal has worn off while mating surfaces were established, and those metal scraps need to be removed from the engine before they cause long-term damage.

Washington Post

Follow the owners manual advice as to when to do the first oil change. And when you do change the oil make sure it is the correct viscosity as stated in the manual. If it calls for 5W-30 then don't put in 10W-30 or 40 etc. And every good mechanic will tell you to use synthetic oil like Mobil One. It's well worth the money and cost wise is the same as changing every 3-5,000 Mikes as people usually change synthetic oil at 8-10,000 with around 8k being best. And again be sure to use the recommended viscosity.

Wow, lots of difference of opinion, manual says change at 5k, thanks for the replies folks

The only caveat comes with that first oil change. Make sure you change your new car's oil and filter for the first time at 1500 miles unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer. The reason? Metal has worn off while mating surfaces were established, and those metal scraps need to be removed from the engine before they cause long-term damage.
Yup, I'm definitely gonna listen to some guy with a radio show. There is no way in hell some idiot metallurgy engineer who helped designed the thing has any idea what he's talking about.

yikes.

Make sure you don't mix Pop-Rocks and Coca Cola either. Could be deadly!

It's on the internet so it must be true.

Dude , just follow the manual. Or call the service depth of your dealer.

whatever you do, don't go by the stickers at the lube place. They always put the next visit at 3,000 miles in order to get more business. Their thinking is changing the oil too much can't hurt the vehicle. While correct, it will cost you a lot more money if you change at 3,000 miles while the vehicle can go 5,000 or 10,000 miles between changes.

Originally posted by RUfinal4:
whatever you do, don't go by the stickers at the lube place. They always put the next visit at 3,000 miles in order to get more business. Their thinking is changing the oil too much can't hurt the vehicle. While correct, it will cost you a lot more money if you change at 3,000 miles while the vehicle can go 5,000 or 10,000 miles between changes.
It depends on whether you are getting conventional or synthetic. Conventional oil should be changed every 3k. Synthetic oil can run longer, but if you aren't paying up for synthetic oil, recommendations of 10k between oil changes do not apply. That's why you need to pay attention to the manual to see what type of oil the engine calls for.

Isn't this exactly what everyone is saying about avoiding the old rule?

Wow, lots of difference of opinion, manual says change at 5k, thanks for the replies folks
If that's what it says, stick with it. I would run it by your dealership mechanics, though, just to find out if they agree with it.

Also, after your first oil change, the current rule of thumb is oil changes every 6000 miles (not 3000 - that's from the 1950's and 1960's) if you're running dino oil, and every 10K if you're running synthetic.

Do what the manual says. The car company doesn't want a reputation of having their vehicles breaking down early. I have heard the same thing about the additives initially added to the oil and I don't see a reason for the manual to lie about it.

Do what the manual says, granted a little earlier won't hurt you. If the manual says 5000 and you want to bring it at 4000, clearly that's not a bad thing. The old 3000 rule is largely out the window at this point even on conventional motor oil. I drive an '06 Honda Civic and they recommend a 5000 mile interval between changes using conventional motor oil. I typically go in every 3500 to 4000 (or when the oil life gauge says its below 40%, which with all the salt on the roads will come faster) and every time they remark at how the engine is in amazing shape. Bottom line: Do what feels right, but 1000 miles is likely too soon for a first oil change on a modern vehicle.

I wonder if the people here that advise going against the "evil" and "greedy" car manfacturers and thier a manual...

Are the same people that wont give their children the measles vaccination.

I cant believe people actually have to argue for following the manual.

the key part is bolded. reading comprehension is your friend

I wonder if the people here that advise going against the "evil" and "greedy" car manfacturers and thier a manual...

What's your problem? I see the majority of the people in this thread agreeing with going with the manual or dealer recommendation. So lighten up Francis.

What's your problem? I see the majority of the people in this thread agreeing with going with the manual or dealer recommendation. So lighten up Francis.
Where did i say everyone? Learn to read.

All cars are different. It doesn't hurt to change early if you want if your car doesn't use break in oil. See number 5 in attached:

5. When you buy a new car, change your oil at 3,000 miles to remove metal particles from the engine break-in process. There might be a grain of truth to this, according to the experts at Blackstone. Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."
However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil. The take-away? If there are any special break-in recommendations from the manufacturer, follow them. And consider analyzing the oil at 3,000 miles.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-7-urban-legends-about-motor-oil.html

Where did i say everyone? Learn to read.
The manual?

Missed reading the highlighted condition?

I just got a new car and they said 5k for the first change and then 10k after that. I would imagine all cars are different but there no longer is a "break in" period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT