ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019-20 NY Yankees Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

Did Zap say it specifically about deGrom or more in general? because he is right in the general statement but find it hard that even Zap could find a single fault or red flag with deGrom...I do know that Zap is a Yankee fan so may not have seen each of deGrom's games, the circumstances and how the guy reacted each time his idiot manger took him out of a game after dominating the previous inning.
And again- you are arguing as if you really do have red flags with deGrom and don't consider him in Cole's league. I love both pitchers and over the past 2 years- they are 1 & 1a at the top of the league.
I know how you tend to argue and is why I have tried to put in the disclaimer that both are very very good each time I say anything. As I would look VERY stupid to try to say that Cole is not at the top and that the Yankees made a mistake in signing him. I would be happy with either guy on my team. I just happen to be happier with deGrom and his contract.
I'm way to lazy to look it up, but I think it was directly about DeGrom and the recent CY award. If not, I guess I'm misremembering to fit my needs. HA!

Reactions: yesrutgers01
The concept of “winners find a way to win” and preferring the proven postseason performer are #fakenews and bad arguments.

Everyone knows that individual players, regardless of skill level - even if they are the best player in MLB, have little to no effect on team performance.
Can’t fault a player for his team consistently finishing in last place and missing the playoffs.

Did I adequately cover all the Mike Trout defenses?

Reactions: yesrutgers01
There is still a wait and see in my book in what happens performance wise between the two. First, I will say the past two years have put these two guys up on top of the pitching mountain so all of this is kind of stupid to argue going into the next couple of years. Met's and Yankee's most likely have the two best pitchers in baseball.
Why I have a bit of a wait and see. While I recognize the arguement of the DH in the American league, it has made the difference of .29 runs scored per game in advantage of american league since 1997. The strange thing is how much better Cole got once he got to the AL and it happens to be on the same team that at the same time made Verlander Clemons 2.0 . I need to see Cole keep it up elsewhere. And it wasnt just a minor change. He was a 8.4 K per 9 inning guy that went to 13 k per 9. 8.6 H per 9 to 6.2 H per 9...And it magnifies because he supposedly got this drastically better in the superior hitting league.
And BTW- outside of K's - his last 2 years are nowhere close to deGrom who pitched to a 2.05 era to Coles 2.69 . That IS NOT do to a DH.
Now- again, both teams have amazing guys going into 202.
As for contracts- yes, deGrom is older but during is ages of 31-35 - Met's will pay him an average of $32mil per year. And contract over. Cole, on the other hand- during his age of 31-35, Yankees will pay him an average of $36mil and still be on the hoof for 2 more years.

You guys did what you did have to do. You paid a price for it and there are more questions about Cole than deGrom.
I would take both but I would take deGrom and his contract and past performance over Cole, any day of the week.
Go back to Mets board,

Interesting article from the LA Times:

Dodgers - 8 year, 300 million offer for Cole w/ deferred money
Angels - 8 years, under 300 million offer w/ deferred money

Yankees won with a 9 year, 324 million dollar offer. Don't think there's any deferred money either. Yankees deep pockets and revenue streams definitely won this one.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodg...hk34METfh-VoUu2_3p3yEXZ7zoG4xp4_9li77wRvB5InM

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Interesting article from the LA Times:

Dodgers - 8 year, 300 million offer for Cole w/ deferred money
Angels - 8 years, under 300 million offer w/ deferred money

Yankees won with a 9 year, 324 million dollar offer. Don't think there's any deferred money either. Yankees deep pockets and revenue streams definitely won this one.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodg...hk34METfh-VoUu2_3p3yEXZ7zoG4xp4_9li77wRvB5InM
Yankees waited for a whale to hit the open market and then they went Yankees. Best organization in sports.

Go back to Mets board,
Why? I am discussing Cole and never once said a bad thing about the Yankees. Actually, even as a Met's fan, I have posted on the different Yankee threads pretty much all year and almost always have good things to say and if I don't, it isn't usually a trol but an actual concern I see and have a discussion about it.
If that threatens you or anyone else, that is your problem.

As for Cole- if you had him this past year, you would have been a much better team suited for the playoffs. Said that before, during and after the season.

Agree
Betts is on top of his list too- (gut feeling he does end up a Met next year) would love to see them steal Realmuto from the phillies too.
I don't think it's worth it to spend premium money on the catcher position so I would avoid Realmuto. The Yankees bank on Sanchez being a strong hitter at a premium position. Because he's so cheap on the books, it's easy to overlook his poor defense. Due to the rapid decline in catchers offensive production as they age, there's no way I would want to see my team dump huge money into the catcher position unless we're talking sure fire hall of famer and they don't come around more than once a decade.

Sevi and Tanaka are proven big game/playoff pitchers. I'm happy with them.

As Zap says, winners find a way to win. An elite pitcher whose bullpen sucks will find a way to go deeper in games. Stop trying to pad your K stats, save your pitches and get into the 9th. We haven't seen this quality with DeGrom, which is a big red flag.
DeGrom has given up 1 or no runs in 79 starts, roughly 40% of his starts, and Mets have losing record. That is not on DeGrom.

He struggled in the past even before his surgery. I guess they hope he would add dept to the bullpen. Questionable pick-up.

He struggled in the past even before his surgery. I guess they hope he would add dept to the bullpen. Questionable pick-up.
Every good year in his career was in NY. None of those were coming off of TJ surgery though. He's definitely worth a flier.

Everyone should be happy to know that the Yankees canned their strength and conditioning guy today. It's a close call which is more important, Cole or this. I guess I'll go with Cole. :Sly:

How are the Yanks planning on replacing Betances ?
The good news is that he was injured pretty much all year so you really arent replacing him. But...knowing how RP's tend to be so up and down from year to year, if healthy, he would have helped a lot.
I still think the Yankees have to do a least something else in the off season besides just get Cole. Last year, it seemed that no matter who was put in the lineup, did very well. Not sure if that can happen again.

They already have. He barely pitched last year and won 100+ games. He was not missed.
Do you think adding Cole only is enough to get the Championship?
Big questions are if you guys get same production at 1B/3B you did last year and if Stanton in lineup everyday hurts or helps? His power is always good but there were a lot of clutch hits by his replacements.

Do you think adding Cole only is enough to get the Championship?
Big questions are if you guys get same production at 1B/3B you did last year and if Stanton in lineup everyday hurts or helps? His power is always good but there were a lot of clutch hits by his replacements.
As you know I'm not a Stanton fan.
And as you know I never believe you can have enough starting pitching.

As you know I'm not a Stanton fan.
And as you know I never believe you can have enough starting pitching.
It is why I am surprised no additional moves unless Cashman feels like he can make a deadline trade if needed.
Here is my concern with just Cole. Will German come close to 18 wins again. If not, it sort of takes away from Cole’s impact.

It is why I am surprised no additional moves unless Cashman feels like he can make a deadline trade if needed.
Here is my concern with just Cole. Will German come close to 18 wins again. If not, it sort of takes away from Cole’s impact.
Montgomery is back this year too. So they have Cole, Sevy, Tanaka, Paxton, Happ, Monty and German after reinstatement. They'll be looking to shed a starting pitcher.

Montgomery is back this year too. So they have Cole, Sevy, Tanaka, Paxton, Happ, Monty and German after reinstatement. They'll be looking to shed a starting pitcher.
I forgot about the German suspension
Hopefully Montgomery has a good comeback year

And Garcia is ready for the big league, so on paper, we have too many SPs. But this is something that normally works itself out. I want another reliever.

Reactions: czxqa
And Garcia is ready for the big league, so on paper, we have too many SPs. But this is something that normally works itself out. I want another reliever.
I think Garcia makes his debut this year in the bullpen and eventually transfers to the rotation down the line. I doubt he makes the opening day roster though.

I expect a trade before the season for a left handed hitter. They can also pick through the bargain bin at the end of spring training if they want but I think it's taken care of before then.

I think Garcia makes his debut this year in the bullpen and eventually transfers to the rotation down the line. I doubt he makes the opening day roster though.

I expect a trade before the season for a left handed hitter. They can also pick through the bargain bin at the end of spring training if they want but I think it's taken care of before then.
Looks like Ron Riveria's career is coming to an end soon.
:)

Reactions: Rhuarc
I forgot about the German suspension
Hopefully Montgomery has a good comeback year
Usually pitchers struggle in the first half season back after Tommy John. Hope it's not the case, but he can always spend time in SWB to start the season.

The suspension is for a total of 81 games, but it is retroactive to Sept. 19 when he was placed on administrative leave for an incident that occurred earlier that week, so he is getting credit for the 18 games he missed at the end of the 2019 regular season and playoffs. He'll miss the first 63 games of this season. A strong message.

The suspension is for a total of 81 games, but it is retroactive to Sept. 19 when he was placed on administrative leave for an incident that occurred earlier that week, so he is getting credit for the 18 games he missed at the end of the 2019 regular season and playoffs. He'll miss the first 63 games of this season. A strong message.
Was it ever reported on exactly what he did? I must have missed it.

He slapped his girlfriend at CC's retirement party. Idiot.

Edit: bunch of people saw it. Open and shut case.
Yes, I remember that now. Well deserved suspension. I want to see some action and personally accountability before the Yanks welcome him back.

Yes, I remember that now. Well deserved suspension. I want to see some action and personally accountability before the Yanks welcome him back.
Oh he absolutely will or he's not coming back. They may need convincing not to trade him anyway.

Reactions: Kbee3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT