ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had to laugh at the absurdity of Quinn putting out Blackwell and Trouba as 2/3 of their second OT unit last night. The puck barely got out to the faceoff circles in the Rangers' zone (let alone across the blue line) for over a minute as the Sabres dominated and the Rangers were lucky not to get scored on.

Quinn got bailed out by Fox/Panarin/Zbad putting together a goal, but his deployment is mind boggling. Blackwell has been a great signing but as a guy who is a good forechecker in the offensive zone and scoring goals set up by other people. Nothing about his game says he would be able to take advantage of extra space in OT like someone like a Chytil would.

I'm also pretty sure that in what is supposed to be a year the Rangers are developing their young players, Lafreniere broke his goal drought in a 3v3 OT and then hasn't gotten on the ice in most or all of the OTs the Rangers have had since then.

I just had to laugh at the absurdity of Quinn putting out Blackwell and Trouba as 2/3 of their second OT unit last night. The puck barely got out to the faceoff circles in the Rangers' zone (let alone across the blue line) for over a minute as the Sabres dominated and the Rangers were lucky not to get scored on.

Quinn got bailed out by Fox/Panarin/Zbad putting together a goal, but his deployment is mind boggling. Blackwell has been a great signing but as a guy who is a good forechecker in the offensive zone and scoring goals set up by other people. Nothing about his game says he would be able to take advantage of extra space in OT like someone like a Chytil would.

I'm also pretty sure that in what is supposed to be a year the Rangers are developing their young players, Lafreniere broke his goal drought in a 3v3 OT and then hasn't gotten on the ice in most or all of the OTs the Rangers have had since then.
I was screaming at the TV "Get Blackwell off the ice!" Quinn's decision-making is mindboggling.

I was screaming at the TV "Get Blackwell off the ice!" Quinn's decision-making is mindboggling.
The Laf-Chytil-Gaut line scored the go ahead goal in the third period last night(Chytil with the goal and the other two got assists).

That shift was the only time Lafreniere saw the ice in the 3rd period and OT.

Quinn’s decision making is atrocious. Aside from Blackwell/Trouba in OT like you mentioned, yet another game where Laf played a total of 8 minutes and Gauthier 7. Chytil only 10. Mika had 25, Panarin 24, and Strome/Kreisler 22 each. Now don’t get me wrong — Zib, Pan, Stromer, Kreider are a huge part of this team, but overworking them at the expense of developing our younger talent continues to be the way Quinn is managing this thing. Makes zero sense.

Quinn’s decision making is atrocious. Aside from Blackwell/Trouba in OT like you mentioned, yet another game where Laf played a total of 8 minutes and Gauthier 7. Chytil only 10. Mika had 25, Panarin 24, and Strome/Kreisler 22 each. Now don’t get me wrong — Zib, Pan, Stromer, Kreider are a huge part of this team, but overworking them at the expense of developing our younger talent continues to be the way Quinn is managing this thing. Makes zero sense.
He came right out and said it after the game that all that matters now is winning games and trying to make the playoffs.

The thing is, if the emphasis has changed to winning over development there are a bunch of guys they could hire who have proven they can win better than a mediocre NCAA coach (including guys like Gallant who are available right now).

He was hired under the misconception he could develop the young players. If he can’t, and now doesn't even want to try, why does he still have a job?

He came right out and said it after the game that all that matters now is winning games and trying to make the playoffs.

The thing is, if the emphasis has changed to winning over development there are a bunch of guys they could hire who have proven they can win better than a mediocre NCAA coach (including guys like Gallant who are available right now).

He was hired under the misconception he could develop the young players. If he can’t, and now doesn't even want to try, why does he still have a job?
Makes no sense. We’re likely not getting into the playoffs this year. If by some chance we do, we’re not sniffing any sort of run. Develop the freakin youth!

Makes no sense. We’re likely not getting into the playoffs this year. If by some chance we do, we’re not sniffing any sort of run. Develop the freakin youth!
The way he is going we are going to lose Kravstov as well because of Quinn. Regardless of what happened a year ago, Kravstov went back and busted his ass in the KHL and by all accounts showed big improvement towards becoming a more complete player.

Quinn is making no move to get him in the lineup and has made some very dismissive comments as if he just doesn’t like the kid.

Is Quinn actually doing something right? Kravstov in the lineup AND PDG is scratched, not Gauthier. Color me surprised.

Just saw news that about 15-16 Vancouver players are down with Covid -- the Brazilian variant. Not sure much else. Saw a Twitter thread by @eric feigl-ding that discusses a study re: the air in hockey rinks, and in particular the air that sits just above the ice surface, and how it may impact spread. Just FYI.

Just saw news that about 15-16 Vancouver players are down with Covid -- the Brazilian variant. Not sure much else. Saw a Twitter thread by @eric feigl-ding that discusses a study re: the air in hockey rinks, and in particular the air that sits just above the ice surface, and how it may impact spread. Just FYI.

The Devils had around the same amount of players out in February, the China Variant though.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Kravstov almost had a great goal in his debut for the Rangers with a diving shot, but Ullmark made a great save.

Ullmark may be a guy who a team cannot depend on to be durable and give them 50+ games, but I can't imagine that there isn't a bidding war for him between the good teams that need some goalie help (COL, TOR, etc.) this summer. He is really good and the Buffalo losing streak was caused in a large part by his absence.

As soon as I heard about Palms, today goes away from game, and toward the trade. From a Devils perspective it better be a good one. I want to see the trade go down. If we scratched him and he is not traded, which can happen, it always makes the GM look bad imo.

Jack Hughes has no puck luck right now! My Devils well on their way to losing every game against the Capitals.

Microcosm of the year, right there in one game. Actually outplayed Washington for most of the game.

As soon as I heard about Palms, today goes away from game, and toward the trade. From a Devils perspective it better be a good one. I want to see the trade go down. If we scratched him and he is not traded, which can happen, it always makes the GM look bad imo.
If we are not signing him, and I think that is clear at this point, then we are going to trade him no matter how little we get. Just hope it doesn't take too long.

Microcosm of the year, right there in one game. Actually outplayed Washington for most of the game.
I was just happy we pushed back after being down 5-2.

Unfortunate that we are again looking at draft positioning, but here we are, I'll take the moral victory and run with it.

It will be interesting to see what we get for Palms. The Devils were reporting looking for 2 1st round picks in the off season.

• Haha
Reactions: rurichdog
It will be interesting to see what we get for Palms. The Devils were reporting looking for 2 1st round picks in the off season.
Talk seems to be we won't get near that return.
Two first rounders is something that doesn’t happen often (last I remember is the Rangers’ Marty St Louis trade, and one was conditional). Word is that teams are more reluctant to trade firsts than ever knowing there will be a flat cap for a while.

Talk seems to be we won't get near that return.
Exactly. The Devils should have taken the best deal for Palms last year. We will be lucky to get a first or even second and a good prospect.

Of all the potential Isles pick ups, I think Palms fits as well as anyone with the possible exception of Foligno. I thought Lou gave up a lot last year to get Pageau but that was a different situation because they immediately signed him to a long term deal. They have no L/T cap space to extend Palms unless the Devils take some salary back. Thus they can only pay what they believe is a fair price for a rental that they will help them make a deep run. Not sure any of these guys are that much of a difference maker.

You would think the Sabres get more for Hall than the Devils would get for Palms but I am not sure about that and neither may yield a 1st round draft pick.

If you're not going to sign him, and the season is essentially over, best to get whatever value you can for him. Don't John Tavares yourselves.

The JT situation was exhibited A of the downside of Lou.
That downside of Lou is working out pretty well so far. Garth Snow didn't trade Tavares for multiple first rounders at the deadline, and didn't sign the guy up until the day he was fired. Lou brought in Barry Trotz, and Tavares still threw up the deuce. If you're not going to sign Palmeri, don't hold out for multiple firsts (teehee) because he'll walk.

38 gp, 6g 5a 11pt
37 gp, 5g 6a 11pt

One of these stat lines is Alexis Lafreniere.
One of these stat lines is Matt Martin.
There is a lot of disagreement on here between fans of the various area teams, but I think the one thing we have found consensus on is that except for some exceptional cases, it would be best to not start these top picks in the NHL in their post draft season.

The Rangers are a perfect example of that with Kakko and Lafreniere struggling while players like Fox and Miller step in at a completely different comfort level after a few years of seasoning in the NCAA.

I posted about what they were asking for Palms because I was surprised. Now the trade I saw yesterday proposed was from the Islanders. Bodies Wilde and a 2nd round pick, for Palms. Don't see it ever reported, but Devils brass will probably be kicking themselves as to the big difference between the bid and the ask.

There is a lot of disagreement on here between fans of the various area teams, but I think the one thing we have found consensus on is that except for some exceptional cases, it would be best to not start these top picks in the NHL in their post draft season.

The Rangers are a perfect example of that with Kakko and Lafreniere struggling while players like Fox and Miller step in at a completely different comfort level after a few years of seasoning in the NCAA.

Hughes, Kakko were not ready
I haven't seen much of Lauf to gauge yet.

I'd even say that Hughes and Kakko should have taken two years from their draft

I posted about what they were asking for Palms because I was surprised. Now the trade I saw yesterday proposed was from the Islanders. Bodies Wilde and a 2nd round pick, for Palms. Don't see it ever reported, but Devils brass will probably be kicking themselves as to the big difference between the bid and the ask.
It's also pretty tough considering last year was what it was, and this year being a condensed 60 game season, plus the looming flat cap with pretty much every team in their own personal cap hell. Weird things are going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT