ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada is allowing teams to travel back and forth across the border for the Cup Semis.

How many of the US teams' stars will suddenly test positive and be unable to play in Montreal?

Reactions: TM94goRU
That's all I care about, any other playoffs I'd be fine with Islanders winning.
Totally agree. I think if they win this round the best we can do is 29th. If they lose it will be around 22, that is too big of a difference.

Canada is allowing teams to travel back and forth across the border for the Cup Semis.

How many of the US teams' stars will suddenly test positive and be unable to play in Montreal?
Most definitely! Think back to Marty Mcsorely's stick in '93.

Totally agree. I think if they win this round the best we can do is 29th. If they lose it will be around 22, that is too big of a difference.
Actually I think it goes lower than 22, but if they win this series I hope they get the cup, by then there is really no big difference between 28 or worse.

Damn, my earlier attempted jinx almost worked, but not quite. If the NYI win this series, I too hope they win the SC. 1984 is a long time to wait. Remember, I said the NYI had it in them to make a run. I'm not surprised.

Montreal gets the sweep. Now who do the Jets blame now, with Patrick Laine gone?

Well I guess the league doesn’t have to worry about Scheifele coming back in this series. Habs complete the sweep and get to sit back and put their feet up for awhile watching Vegas and Colorado beat each other up.

I'd bet money that number will be zero because such a conspiracy would be easily exposed when those guys get tested outside of Montreal and their tests are negative.

Most definitely! Think back to Marty Mcsorely's stick in '93.
I really don't think you can equate getting a powerplay by catching someone using an illegal stick with preventing people from playing at all by fraudulently diagnosing them with a medical condition. One is gamesmanship by a trainer or equipment manager that is actually on the opposing team, and the other would be an illegal act by an independent lab worker.

Sounds like the B's coach went off on the officials big time after the game last night. While he appeared to be hot during the game about penalties called on the B's, after the game, it was about how the Isles are not "saints" and commit just as many penalties. Sounded like some real fine whining going on.

Of course it hurts more when the normally ineffective Islander PP goes 3 for 4. The B's had the better of the play most of the night, but Rask was not as strong although I did not see the point of pulling him unless he was truly unable to play. Isles defense was vulnerable, particularly Leddy and Dobson.

After not doing that much during the end of the regular season, Palms is winding up in the right place at the right time to knock them in the net. Overall another nice collective effort by the Isles. Expect game 6 to be the most competitive yet and that is saying something given how tight this series has been. Nice to have an opportunity to close out another series at the Nassau Coliseum but its not going to be easy.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
I really don't think you can equate getting a powerplay by catching someone using an illegal stick with preventing people from playing at all by fraudulently diagnosing them with a medical condition. One is gamesmanship by a trainer or equipment manager that is actually on the opposing team, and the other would be an illegal act by an independent lab worker.
I merely used the example because it is the closes thing I can think of. Marty and the Kings always have maintained Montreal did something nefarious. Thus, I think it fits.

Sounds like the B's coach went off on the officials big time after the game last night. While he appeared to be hot during the game about penalties called on the B's, after the game, it was about how the Isles are not "saints" and commit just as many penalties. Sounded like some real fine whining going on.

Of course it hurts more when the normally ineffective Islander PP goes 3 for 4. The B's had the better of the play most of the night, but Rask was not as strong although I did not see the point of pulling him unless he was truly unable to play. Isles defense was vulnerable, particularly Leddy and Dobson.

After not doing that much during the end of the regular season, Palms is winding up in the right place at the right time to knock them in the net. Overall another nice collective effort by the Isles. Expect game 6 to be the most competitive yet and that is saying something given how tight this series has been. Nice to have an opportunity to close out another series at the Nassau Coliseum but its not going to be easy.
Cassidy should have been complaining about the knee to knee hit on Pastrnak in the 3rd period. Despite Michelletti's fawning over a great " shoulder to shoulder hit" it was a dirty play.

Cassidy should have been complaining about the knee to knee hit on Pastrnak in the 3rd period. Despite Michelletti's fawning over a great " shoulder to shoulder hit" it was a dirty play.
Bottom line is the B's were the most penalized team in the league during the regular season and the Isles were one of the least. Maybe he ought to focus on getting his team to play with more discipline. Ritchie was a borderline goon last night and his elbow to Mayfields head was glaring miss by the officials. PP disparity is not that great at 15-11 thus far. While there were some marginal calls they went both ways.

He is also pissed at Trotz pointing out before the game that Bergeron like many other good face off guys does like to put his stick on the ice like he is supposed to before the puck is dropped. The Isles did very well on face offs last night. The crowd is going to have some fun with his Saints reference Wednesday night.

Reactions: rurichdog
Bottom line is the B's were the most penalized team in the league during the regular season and the Isles were one of the least. Maybe he ought to focus on getting his team to play with more discipline. Ritchie was a borderline goon last night and his elbow to Mayfields head was glaring miss by the officials. PP disparity is not that great at 15-11 thus far. While there were some marginal calls they went both ways.

He is also pissed at Trotz pointing out before the game that Bergeron like many other good face off guys does like to put his stick on the ice like he is supposed to before the puck is dropped. The Isles did very well on face offs last night. The crowd is going to have some fun with his Saints reference Wednesday night.
I guess I'm just pissed that Michelletti is so pro-Islanders. As a Rangers announcer I'd think he'd be a little more impartial.

The Isles have done a great job on faceoffs, and also they play such a great system it's been tough for the Bruins to get much going. We were screaming at the TV late when the Bruins were just dumping the puck-basically handing possession over to the Isles.

I merely used the example because it is the closes thing I can think of. Marty and the Kings always have maintained Montreal did something nefarious. Thus, I think it fits.
Yeah but the Kings' sticks were measured by someone who was on the Montreal Canadiens, and McSorley was fully deserving of that penalty. The people at the labs processing the covid tests aren't part of the team, and the players being kept out in that scenario would not be deserving of it, and that is beside the fact that the Canadiens didn't even break any hockey rules in measuring the sticks while a lab fraudulently diagnosing someone would be beyond hockey and is against the law. I see the point you're trying to make but they really aren't similar.

Yeah but the Kings' sticks were measured by someone who was on the Montreal Canadiens, and McSorley was fully deserving of that penalty. The people at the labs processing the covid tests aren't part of the team, and the players being kept out in that scenario would not be deserving of it, and that is beside the fact that the Canadiens didn't even break any hockey rules in measuring the sticks while a lab fraudulently diagnosing someone would be beyond hockey and is against the law. I see the point you're trying to make but they really aren't similar.
My response was always tongue in cheek, hockey means so much in Canada. Remember when Greztky buried the puck to give Canada luck against the US? No one is saying 100% hanky panky will happen, just that it is technically possible. So many Canadians feel snakebite, it has been so long since a Canadian team won a Stanley Cup.

My response was always tongue in cheek, hockey means so much in Canada. Remember when Greztky buried the puck to give Canada luck against the US? No one is saying 100% hanky panky will happen, just that it is technically possible. So many Canadians feel snakebite, it has been so long since a Canadian team won a Stanley Cup.
Ah yeah the "lucky loonie." It was a $1 coin, colloquially referred to as a loonie in Canada. It was placed in the ice by Trent Evans, a Canadian who was a member of the ice crew. Having built and painted ice surfaces before, it's common to use coins to mark off spots for the faceoff dots and lines. He put a dime down originally and then put a loonie on top of it. Of course this is just superstition anyway and didn't really have any impact on the games.

It's been a while since a Canadian team has won a Cup, but I don't think they're going to have the whole country behind them just because they're a Canadian team. I don't remember that being the case for Vancouver in 2011, Ottawa in 2007, Edmonton in 2006, or Calgary in 2004. Certainly no Leafs fan will be pulling for Montreal, that would be even more sacrilegious than a Devils fan rooting for the Rangers.

I guess I'm just pissed that Michelletti is so pro-Islanders. As a Rangers announcer I'd think he'd be a little more impartial.

The Isles have done a great job on faceoffs, and also they play such a great system it's been tough for the Bruins to get much going. We were screaming at the TV late when the Bruins were just dumping the puck-basically handing possession over to the Isles.
Micheletti was the Islanders color commentator from 98 to 06. Regardless, he is tough to listen to and I don't understand how NBC decided to choose him for the playoffs. I don't watch a ton of Rangers games, but he does seem to rave about players making routine plays as if a D-to-D pass is some never-seen-before stroke of genius.

Ah yeah the "lucky loonie." It was a $1 coin, colloquially referred to as a loonie in Canada. It was placed in the ice by Trent Evans, a Canadian who was a member of the ice crew. Having built and painted ice surfaces before, it's common to use coins to mark off spots for the faceoff dots and lines. He put a dime down originally and then put a loonie on top of it. Of course this is just superstition anyway and didn't really have any impact on the games.

It's been a while since a Canadian team has won a Cup, but I don't think they're going to have the whole country behind them just because they're a Canadian team. I don't remember that being the case for Vancouver in 2011, Ottawa in 2007, Edmonton in 2006, or Calgary in 2004. Certainly no Leafs fan will be pulling for Montreal, that would be even more sacrilegious than a Devils fan rooting for the Rangers.
I definitely agree. I would just reserve a little chance of a Montreal fan, being cut from the same cloth as Harvey Updike, I think this is the name of the smuck, Alabama fan who poisoned and killed the 2 big trees at Auburn! There are some warped people out there. Which gives great fodder for a good joke.

Micheletti was the Islanders color commentator from 98 to 06. Regardless, he is tough to listen to and I don't understand how NBC decided to choose him for the playoffs. I don't watch a ton of Rangers games, but he does seem to rave about players making routine plays as if a D-to-D pass is some never-seen-before stroke of genius.
Those two calling this series have been beyond bad. I don't think many Islander fans believe he has been partial to us this series. The Isles play by play guy was calling the Canadiens/Jets series.

It's funny how the mind works (or doesn't). When I hear Joe Micheletti's voice, I immediately think of him as the Rangers color commentator, not the Islanders color guy. The Islanders broadcast team will always be Jiggs McDonald and Eddie Westfall, plus Howie Rose in later years. I've completely blocked out Micheletti.

Reactions: mdh2003
It's funny how the mind works (or doesn't). When I hear Joe Micheletti's voice, I immediately think of him as the Rangers color commentator, not the Islanders color guy. The Islanders broadcast team will always be Jiggs McDonald and Eddie Westfall, plus Howie Rose in later years. I've completely blocked out Micheletti.
Yeah, Jiggs and Eddie made up for the awful Sportschannel production. It looked like my uncle trying to work the first ever camcorder. There were so many NYR/NYI series back then, and I think only the home team’s crew worked the games. There was a stark difference going back and forth from Sportschannel to MSGNetwork. MSG’s quality was always so much better. Then Dipshit Dolan bought the place, lol.

As a Rangers fan I never noticed his exuberance until now-it's over the top. It will be a tall task for the Bruins tonight-Carlo and Miller out, and Tuukka might not be 100%.

I've held my thoughts in until now, TZ has touched the puck too much. In short, Travis, if that is how you felt, why the hell didn't you agree to the trade last year. I believe it is a safe bet it was to the NYI because Lou loves you.
Just stay on a team you can disappear into the woodwork with. You TZ are not a leader. Ding ding the dweeb scored 1-0 NYI.

Congratulations Islander fans! Let me be the first one to coin this the curse of Taylor Hall. Now 🌴's is very lucky that elbow was not seen. If penalized, I think he gets suspended for the next game.
I thought Boston might jettison Tuuka last year, I think he will be gone after this injury riddled embarrassment. See I knew with that 1st rd draft pick the Islanders would make a run!

I frigging love the marching band playing "When The Saints Go Marching In" at the tailgate lot. This is something that Rutgers fans would do to troll the opposing team.

I’m not worried about NYI. This is a team that is built for the playoffs. When the O drys up in the reg season, you get these ugly games. But, it translates wonderfully to playoff hockey. I predicted a final four last year and will again this year.
Ahem.

Yes Yes Yes K 🌴's elbow was right out of the WWE, but was not Kay Fabe! Taylor Hall proves once again he is not a money player in the playoffs. Bold Prediction, Bruce Cassidy will not be the Bruins coach next year. Both Washington and Boston looked old in these playoffs.

Yes Yes Yes K 🌴's elbow was right out of the WWE, but was not Kay Fabe! Taylor Hall proves once again he is not a money player in the playoffs. Bold Prediction, Bruce Cassidy will not be the Bruins coach next year. Both Washington and Boston looked old in these playoffs.
Palmeri and Zajac paying more dividends than Hall. It's almost like the old man knows what he's doing.

Hall has only been to the playoffs 3 times. The first time he led his team in points, and the second time he was one point behind the guy who led his team in points so I'm not sure it makes sense to say that he "proves he is not a money player in the playoffs." When he got traded to Boston and was scoring left and right as soon as he got there, some people bashed him saying it showed that he wasn't trying with Buffalo. Seems like whether he plays well or not, some bitter fans will criticize his play.

I'm also not sure what to make of your criticism of Zajac. The guy was a loyal Devil for 14 years and has endured a bunch of really bad teams for the past 9. He's 36 years old, I'm glad to see him finally getting another shot at the Cup before his career ends.

Hall has only been to the playoffs 3 times. The first time he led his team in points, and the second time he was one point behind the guy who led his team in points so I'm not sure it makes sense to say that he "proves he is not a money player in the playoffs." When he got traded to Boston and was scoring left and right as soon as he got there, some people bashed him saying it showed that he wasn't trying with Buffalo. Seems like whether he plays well or not, some bitter fans will criticize his play.

I'm also not sure what to make of your criticism of Zajac. The guy was a loyal Devil for 14 years and has endured a bunch of really bad teams for the past 9. He's 36 years old, I'm glad to see him finally getting another shot at the Cup before his career ends.
Yes, I admit I'm not objective when it comes to Hall. There just were too many times I forgot he was on the team in these playoffs, and his year with my Devils.
My comments about TZ are a direct result of his recent comments about the Devils. I noticed as soon as he was traded young players seemed more at ease. His comments confirmed to me, he sulked rather than lead.
Yes he was a Devil along time. Lou signed him to that redicluous contract and cemented that. That said, I will never look at him like I look at many other long-term Devils especially now! Many of those seasons, his output, especially offensively, was like TZ stealing money.
Again, just using his words, if this is how he felt, feels, about his former team, don't turn down the trade last year! It most likely would have been to the same place. As well as put your sorry ass in the playoffs!

Yes, I admit I'm not objective when it comes to Hall. There just were too many times I forgot he was on the team in these playoffs, and his year with my Devils.
My comments about TZ are a direct result of his recent comments about the Devils. I noticed as soon as he was traded young players seemed more at ease. His comments confirmed to me, he sulked rather than lead.
Yes he was a Devil along time. Lou signed him to that redicluous contract and cemented that. That said, I will never look at him like I look at many other long-term Devils especially now! Many of those seasons, his output, especially offensively, was like TZ stealing money.
Again, just using his words, if this is how he felt, feels, about his former team, don't turn down the trade last year! It most likely would have been to the same place. As well as put your sorry ass in the playoffs!
How did you forget Hall was on the team when he was on the Devils? He was the leading scorer on the team his first two years, his 3rd year he wasn't because he only played 33 games but averaged over a point per game, and then in his 4th year he was leading the team in scoring at the time he was traded. If Hall was invisible to you, who wasn't? If you're talking about his one playoff appearance with the Devils, he led the team in points there too, after pretty much single-handedly carrying the team to the playoffs with his Hart Trophy 93-point regular season performance.

I had to look up the Zajac comments you're talking about and I think you're severely overreacting. I think any veteran in his shoes would be happy to make the jump from a rebuilding team of guys fresh out of juniors to an older team competing for the Stanley Cup. I'm sure he intended it to be more of a compliment to his current team rather than bashing the Devils. The fact that he didn't waive his no-trade clause last year shows he must have been at least somewhat happy here.

How did you forget Hall was on the team when he was on the Devils? He was the leading scorer on the team his first two years, his 3rd year he wasn't because he only played 33 games but averaged over a point per game, and then in his 4th year he was leading the team in scoring at the time he was traded. If Hall was invisible to you, who wasn't? If you're talking about his one playoff appearance with the Devils, he led the team in points there too, after pretty much single-handedly carrying the team to the playoffs with his Hart Trophy 93-point regular season performance.

I had to look up the Zajac comments you're talking about and I think you're severely overreacting. I think any veteran in his shoes would be happy to make the jump from a rebuilding team of guys fresh out of juniors to an older team competing for the Stanley Cup. I'm sure he intended it to be more of a compliment to his current team rather than bashing the Devils. The fact that he didn't waive his no-trade clause last year shows he must have been at least somewhat happy here.
You are, of course entitled to your opinion. With Hall I was referring to getting beaten up in the playoffs only. He is the king of the NHL Lottery, and has seldom been in the playoffs.
As far as TZ, I now put him into my John MacLean file. You could very well be correct. I'm sure that is what he would say. I was just giving my fanatical (fan) opinion. Zajac's era with the Devils was, for the most part, very disappointing. It would have been nice for him to except the trade last year, as I feel the return would have been better.
Lastly, let me explain why I said that about JM. It goes back to 97-98, the Devils were rolling. He started to "act up" and shortly there after demanded a trade publicly. The team took a downturn, and all we got back was washed up Doug Bodger from the SJS.
The season ended on a whimper, and JM signed with our most hated rival, NYR. If he had privately gone to Lou, as soon as he wanted out, instead of acting up, I think the team could have had a special run in the playoffs. As well as the trade return being much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT