ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are, of course entitled to your opinion. With Hall I was referring to getting beaten up in the playoffs only. He is the king of the NHL Lottery, and has seldom been in the playoffs.
As far as TZ, I now put him into my John MacLean file. You could very well be correct. I'm sure that is what he would say. I was just giving my fanatical (fan) opinion. Zajac's era with the Devils was, for the most part, very disappointing. It would have been nice for him to except the trade last year, as I feel the return would have been better.
Lastly, let me explain why I said that about JM. It goes back to 97-98, the Devils were rolling. He started to "act up" and shortly there after demanded a trade publicly. The team took a downturn, and all we got back was washed up Doug Bodger from the SJS.
The season ended on a whimper, and JM signed with our most hated rival, NYR. If he had privately gone to Lou, as soon as he wanted out, instead of acting up, I think the team could have had a special run in the playoffs. As well as the trade return being much better!
I don't know what you mean by Hall getting beaten up in the playoffs. This was the first time he didn't lead his team in playoff scoring. He has seldom been in the playoffs because he's been on such bad teams. This isn't basketball where one guy can take a bottom-feeder to a championship contender, although he came as close to doing so as you can when he pretty much took the Devils to the playoffs by himself that one year, but even the most elite players still need a supporting cast to go the distance.

With Zajac, yeah maybe he would have yielded a bigger return last year, but why should that be his concern? The Devils gave him a no-trade clause, so he has every right to decide if he wants to leave or not. Last year he obviously didn't want to leave, and it's very unreasonable to expect that his thought process should have been, "I don't want to leave, but I am going to so that I can help the team trading me away get a better return." We also don't know what the destination would have been, you are just assuming it was the Islanders.

As for MacLean, he did go to Lou privately first, but a week and a half went by and they hadn't acted on it. Another way to look at it is that once he knew he wouldn't re-sign with the Devils, he let Lou know, which allowed him to trade him and get at least something for him. If he kept his mouth shut, the Devils probably would have gotten no return for him at all. They weren't going to get a much better return than what they got, MacLean had only 3 goals so far that season and was going to be a free agent at the end of the year. That kind of player is never going to get you such a big return that it would make the difference between winning 2 playoff games and going on a long run.

I understand this is your "fan" opinion, I am a fan too, but that doesn't mean you can't be objective about it and think about it from the players' perspectives.

Reactions: TM94goRU
I don't know what you mean by Hall getting beaten up in the playoffs. This was the first time he didn't lead his team in playoff scoring. He has seldom been in the playoffs because he's been on such bad teams. This isn't basketball where one guy can take a bottom-feeder to a championship contender, although he came as close to doing so as you can when he pretty much took the Devils to the playoffs by himself that one year, but even the most elite players still need a supporting cast to go the distance.

With Zajac, yeah maybe he would have yielded a bigger return last year, but why should that be his concern? The Devils gave him a no-trade clause, so he has every right to decide if he wants to leave or not. Last year he obviously didn't want to leave, and it's very unreasonable to expect that his thought process should have been, "I don't want to leave, but I am going to so that I can help the team trading me away get a better return." We also don't know what the destination would have been, you are just assuming it was the Islanders.

As for MacLean, he did go to Lou privately first, but a week and a half went by and they hadn't acted on it. Another way to look at it is that once he knew he wouldn't re-sign with the Devils, he let Lou know, which allowed him to trade him and get at least something for him. If he kept his mouth shut, the Devils probably would have gotten no return for him at all. They weren't going to get a much better return than what they got, MacLean had only 3 goals so far that season and was going to be a free agent at the end of the year. That kind of player is never going to get you such a big return that it would make the difference between winning 2 playoff games and going on a long run.

I understand this is your "fan" opinion, I am a fan too, but that doesn't mean you can't be objective about it and think about it from the players' perspectives.
Very nice write-up. Yes I could be more player friendly. I'm not objective when it deals with my team. All fair points. I guess I'm a bit of a hot head here. At least I don't pretend to be objective in this thread! Especially when it is posted in real-time as a hot take.

Hey watching the NYI run, I understand better why some businesses move management around every so often.
The old man Lou, or Yoda for syfy fans is having a renaissance. I can trace how Lou and his Player Personnel guy lost their mojo, from about 2001, when they drafted Adriane Foster in the 1st round.
He was relieved of his duties because the farm system was bare, and the NJD were the oldest and slowest team in the NHL. Due to Lou building the team in free agency. I now think Lou just got "burned out" running the NJD, and needed a new challenge.

I think it goes 6 games. Tough series.
It's going to be an interesting dynamic, facing not only a team we haven't faced yet all year, but the best possible team out of all the teams we haven't faced yet. It's like a mini-Cup series. Then the winner gets to do it all over again.

It's going to be an interesting dynamic, facing not only a team we haven't faced yet all year, but the best possible team out of all the teams we haven't faced yet. It's like a mini-Cup series. Then the winner gets to do it all over again.
I actually liken this upcoming series to Devils vs. Rangers in '94. Like that series, I think whoever wins, will win the SC. It is a tough one to forecast, I think your team could very much win.

It looks like Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald is getting what he wished for. It already is the worse scenario for NJD. All I can say is, he better take these lemons and make lemonade!

Nice start for the Isles. Give them some credit for making the Bolts look out of sync. The arena seemed dead and certainly did not provide a spark for the team.

Nice win for the NYI. They played hard, it looked to me like they wanted this more, a very good sign for them. It is very hard to repeat.

Well, it was fun to win 1 game. In 10 years we'll be looking back fondly on reaching the semis two years in a row like Jets fans. F tampa bay.

Well, it was fun to win 1 game. In 10 years we'll be looking back fondly on reaching the semis two years in a row like Jets fans. F tampa bay.
Hey relax. I think this will be a long series. Even though it is a tough night for you.

They're still head-and-shoulders above the Islanders. TB in 5
Hey, I picked Tampa, but the Isles now go home. In my mind, this is a 6 or 7 game series, hang in there. Depending how on point Tampa is, this could go either way. I remember, all too well, the Devils were up 3 to 2 to Colorado in '01.
Next thing I know, they spit the bit, and Ray Borque wins his SC. It is hard to repeat.

TB may have more talent but I thought we were right there for five of the six periods in Tampa. I came away more confident we can hang with the Bolts. It may come down to who gets better goal tending and the Isles need to stay out of the penalty box.

TB may have more talent but I thought we were right there for five of the six periods in Tampa. I came away more confident we can hang with the Bolts. It may come down to who gets better goal tending and the Isles need to stay out of the penalty box.
I am the farthest thing from an Islander fan, but it is frustrating to see Tampa win because of the dominant performance of their “extra” player Kucherov.

Hey good news Islander fans, the Jets are back. They have "flown" in tonight.

Edit: that was dumb. I'm sorry.
No more beer for me.
Tonight.
Can not read, what you think is dumb, however no need to apologize for a hot take. Your team is close to partying like it is 1984. It hurts to give up the late goal, but there is a whole period to play.

The Isles were down 2-1 against Pittsburgh and Boston, so that doesn't bother me. What scares the s--- out of me is that Tampa beat the Islanders at their own game last night. That was the type of game that the Islanders won in the two previous series. Tomorrow night is as close as you can get to "must win" without it being an elimination game. And, yes, @rurichdog. I'll be drinking tomorrow as well, so this thread might get interesting depending on how things go.

Yeah, that was insane. Great playoff hockey game with an ending for the ages. And again, I friggin HATE the Islanders.

Need to win the next two because I want to go to the Phillies-Mets doubleheader at Citi Field Friday,but there's no way that I miss a Game 7.

great win, in a must win spot. Now we have a best of 3.

This was something I had not considered but Evan Roberts was talking about it, and that being the Nets and the Isles had been playing on the same night, thus they were stealing a bit of each others spotlight(and the Nets were probably getting the Lions share). But with the Nets now out does the NY/Metro area turn it's focus on the Isles for the final 3 games here, and perhaps, into the Cup finals?

Yeah, that was insane. Great playoff hockey game with an ending for the ages. And again, I friggin HATE the Islanders.
So many elements of the Islanders game is missing from the Rangers it’s disheartening.
You can start with outside of Barzal and Beauvillia, neither of whom anyone can catch….every player is powerful and strong on their skates.
Pelech, Pulock, Mayfield and Lette, are all better players than any D men we have outside of Fox.

So many elements of the Islanders game is missing from the Rangers it’s disheartening.
You can start with outside of Barzal and Beauvillia, neither of whom anyone can catch….every player is powerful and strong on their skates.
Pelech, Pulock, Mayfield and Lette, are all better players than any D men we have outside of Fox.
And they have more 😈's on the roster too. 😁

Pulock and Pelech are two of the most underrated players in the league. Don’t get carried away with the others.

After a very strong second period, they were holding on during the third. After seemingly settling down when TB got to 3-2, things got very chaotic at the very end when the Isles essentially needed to play keep away with a man advantage. Heck of a move by McDonagh but an even nicer response from Pulock.

While it would be nice to take the next two, I would be fine with having a chance in a game 7 situation. I was very surprised Trotz did not bring Wahlstrom back last night. Don't see happening now unless there is any injury. He did mix up the lines and moving Palms up to play with Barzal and Eberle has seemed like a no brainer for awhile.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Brutal game for Islanders. And no, I don't subscribe to the theory that blowouts are easier to stomach than last second defeats.

Everything has gone right for the Lightning. They have a force field around AV tonight. The NYI better 🙏 Barzal is not suspended!

The idiot Komarov needs to put a hurting on someone in the third. His days as an Islander and NHLer are quickly ending.

Got to love Game 7's! Gee, I wonder how things would have been, if the TBL had not been able to legally circumvent the salary cap?

Islanders fans doing the Rutgers band chant ?????
Gooooooooo
Gooooooooo
Gooooooooo
Scarlet Knights
Goooooooooo
Goooooooooo
Goooooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT