ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 Golf Thread

Shaping up to be a fairly interesting back 9, but agree that it’s really down to maybe 4-5 guys, with Clark and Rory being the front runners. Clark having an ugly hole at 8 right now.

Also, I can’t stand NBC’s golf coverage, and Azinger in particular. Nothing redeeming about any of it at all.

Agreed but more specifically on this course I can see it. On either of those 300 yd par3's one shitty shot turns into a 5 minute decision. Than that short par4 same thing 1 bad shot and urs a shit show. Fowler & Clark waited for 15 minutes to tee off. That should never happen. Let them hit up

Oh yeah. If required to play that course I can see a very long round for some folks. I'd be longer than normal just because of all the extra shots 300y par threes and 500+y par fours require. But I also would be trying to play quick even with the extra shots. I hate slow golf. A buddy and I have played 18 in 1:59 and 9 in :59 - both on mostly empty courses.

Almost agree but it is still the "easy" front 9 but I think it can be said it's down to 4.
True and he made a birdie finally, while Clark almost imploded on 8 and 9, escaping with a bogey and a par, when it looked like he might blow another stroke or two after hitting into the fescue on 8 and the heavy rough on 9 by the greenside bunker. And Rory continues to singe the cup on his putts, but isn't making them. Back nine is so tough - going to be a war of attrition.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Shaping up to be a fairly interesting back 9, but agree that it’s really down to maybe 4-5 guys, with Clark and Rory being the front runners. Clark having an ugly hole at 8 right now.

Also, I can’t stand NBC’s golf coverage, and Azinger in particular. Nothing redeeming about any of it at all.
Not a fan since they lost Miller. Perfect case was Azinger guaranteeing Clark's shot after landing on the green on 9 wouldn't come back at all to the hole and then it slowly rolled 6 feet closer and Clark made the par putt from 7'. Made Azinger look like an idiot. We need CBS, lol.

Agree about azinger sucking. Not a huge fan of Immelman either, maybe its the accent, but at least he seems to know what hes talking about. Azinger normally just praises every shot he calls, drives me nuts.

Reactions: Section124
It's not out of the realm of possibility to see Cam Smith continue his hot play/putting and maybe posting -7 or -8 (at -6 now through 15) and have that maybe be a winning score if both Clark and McIlroy back up on the tough back nine.

Rory just got incredibly lucky with that embedded ball ruling...but didn't capitalize and make his par. Badly played hole for him.

Looked like an illegal drop as well. He kind of directed it further out than a straight drop. First one definitely was.

All sports broadcasting is so ****ing bad nowadays. Not a single good production effort left. Even the Master coverage is an abomination.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Great birdie by Clark on 14 and he's now up 3 on Rory. But the last 3 holes are brutal, so it's not over yet. Everybody else is out of it though now.

Great birdie by Clark on 14 and he's now up 3 on Rory. But the last 3 holes are brutal, so it's not over yet. Everybody else is out of it though now.
Wow, Clark bogeys the easy par 3 15th that nobody else bogeyed all day. Back to 2 up over Rory. It ain't over.

WTF was Clark thinking with that draw on 16 that went into the bunker? Why, with such a good, predictable fade?

Incredible 3rd shot to 7', but Clark missed his 2nd par putt in a row and is now only 1 up on Rory, who is putting for birdie on 17.

Last edited:
Rory with a nice birdie on the first and we now have a 3-way tie at -10. Game on folks. I could see -10 being the winning score. Hope it's Rory. Fleetwood just shot 63 to finish at -5, but he missed an easy birdie putt on 18; so low scores are possible, but average scoring today is about +1.
Well, -10 won, but not Rory. Nice win by Clark under immense pressure - seems like a good guy, so I'm happy for him. Another tough one for Rory, but he played well too - just about all the other contenders within shouting distance before the round faded.

A great Open! The clowns on the first day thinking this was going to set records should be banned from any golf thread
@WhiteBus

Let us know when you are ready to walk back this statement. Maybe do some critical thinking instead of parroting GC’s talking points about LACC.

These players are good. 😀
Are you walking back your nonsense??

A great Open! The clowns on the first day thinking this was going to set records should be banned from any golf thread

To be fair I think it did set the all time lowest scoring US Open record, but it was a nice tournament and the course is beautiful.

It did end up as a great Open, but personally I didn’t love LACC. Provided plenty of challenges for sure, but my biggest gripe was the number of holes where the fairway fed every tee shot into the exact same spot. Divots galore and little reward for placing the ball in the correct side of the fairway.

have to give credit to Clark. He had the magic this week. Some great shoots by him to hang on. His short game was on a different level. Rory just needed some magic with the flat stick. NBC jinx before his 3 putt was classic. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the last major.

The record was for the first round only.
Bus,

You seem like a good guy but I didn’t know that you’re such a delicate flower. Maybe that’s why you often respond with anger towards other posters?

My comment was that during the Thursday opening round the scores were on pace to be the lowest scoring average in any US Open. I heard that on the TV broadcast and assumed it was true.

Now can we go back to getting along ok?

Bus,

You seem like a good guy but I didn’t know that you’re such a delicate flower. Maybe that’s why you often respond with anger towards other posters?

My comment was that during the Thursday opening round the scores were on pace to be the lowest scoring average in any US Open. I heard that on the TV broadcast and assumed it was true.

Now can we go back to getting along ok?
Delicate flower? You still don't know why I tried to correct you after your "walk it back" comment?

Huh what ? Not even close. -16 at Erin Hills and at Pebble Beach and -13 .
Lowest aggregate scoring average which was 71 and change. But maybe it was just the first round I thought they said for the whole tourney at the end of the broadcast.

No it wasn’t.

Lowest scoring in US open history..per the USGA
Wasn't a fan of the programming ( late tee times for eastern audience, lack of grandstands and spectators). But didn't think anyone manhandled the course. Think it was fair for everyone. Early start late start, no real advantage. Marine layer first day is what lead to the low scores. And as I said after the first day, they would firm that thing up if it meant they had to set the greens on fire.

Surprised at the field for the Travelers, obviously a forced to play event. Terrible idea to have a forced to play event after a major especially when its played on the other side of the country! And if you don't make the cut you get $0.
Funny no updates on Monahan at all. Did he stroke out or just pushed out?
BTW the single day grounds only ticket is $92 this week 👀 Holy ship!

Oh yeah. If required to play that course I can see a very long round for some folks. I'd be longer than normal just because of all the extra shots 300y par threes and 500+y par fours require. But I also would be trying to play quick even with the extra shots. I hate slow golf. A buddy and I have played 18 in 1:59 and 9 in :59 - both on mostly empty courses.

I've played there many times. It wouldn't any slower than any other course you have to walk. You have caddy's who are great and tell you where to hit and are great at finding balls, which really isn't much of an issue outside of a few holes. The rough is much shorter typically.

Trying to get out there before they change the set up. They are keeping the Open set up for a few weeks so the members can see how they'd fare on an Open course.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Typical Rory, doing enough to come up barely short. Also, typical Fowler.

Fowler just doesn't have the fire power these guys have now. He has to play perfect golf to win a championship like a US Open. The other guys that had a chance can make a few mistakes due to their length. Fowler can't. British Open and maybe a Masters are Fowler's best chance for a major.

Fowler just doesn't have the fire power these guys have now. He has to play perfect golf to win a championship like a US Open. The other guys that had a chance can make a few mistakes due to their length. Fowler can't. British Open and maybe a Masters are Fowler's best chance for a major.

To add data to this, Fowler was 19th in driving distance out of the 65 who made the cut. Granted, some of these guys were banging three woods off tees where others were hitting driver still.

Reactions: Caliknight
I have the privilege of watching and playing with almost half of the top 50 players at my course in Jupiter. I can tell you first hand from track man…rickie’s swing speed is exactly the same as Justin Thomas and last years winner Matt Fitzpatrick.
The guy that bombs it 10-15 past Rory on the range is Cameron Young. He hasn’t won yet…but once he breaks through, he will be staple of the top 15.

It seems to me when Fowler was at his peak it was in large part due to his putter. Thursday he had the old magic back. The rest of the weekend he was only average or slightly above so when he had issues with other parts of his game, the short stick couldn't carry him.

Reactions: Caliknight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT