ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Burned Out Teachers in Here?

I don’t think in many elementary schools (k-5) that is the case . The health lessons are done by the classroom teacher. The elementary gym teachers I know do not teach health.
That is why I limited the “good gig” to being exclusive to elementary gym (k-5 schools)
Once you get into middle school grades and above the gym teachers might do health too
Nope I work in a 3-6 grade school. 5th grade health taught by the gym teacher, I have first hand knowledge of it as I have painfully sat thru it as a 1-1 aide many years. Last year I had to try not to burst out laughing when during a film of the different cycles of a baby development, I had a boy ask the gym teacher…….how does the baby breathe is it like Aquaman?

Nope I work in a 3-6 grade school. 5th grade health taught by the gym teacher, I have first hand knowledge of it as I have painfully sat thru it as a 1-1 aide many years. Last year I had to try not to burst out laughing when during a film of the different cycles of a baby development, I had a boy ask the gym teacher…….how does the baby breathe is it like Aquaman?
Ha

It’s the same for student physical therapists. They don’t get paid when they are doing their clinical rotations and are paying tuition as well.
The clinical rotations are part of their "classroom" education and minimum hours are needed for certification. They do not act independently and are under the supervision of a staff PT who is taking just about all the clinical responsibility/liability on their own shoulders. The student is there for the hands on, learning experience (ie, the out in the field classroom). It's the same with nursing, respiratory therapy, xray/ultrasound/MRI technicians, etc. Exposure to the field, practical experience and limited liability while the full time staff bears the brunt of responsibility for care and most of the potentail liability.

I don’t think in many elementary schools (k-5) that is the case . The health lessons are done by the classroom teacher. The elementary gym teachers I know do not teach health.
That is why I limited the “good gig” to being exclusive to elementary gym (k-5 schools)
Once you get into middle school grades and above the gym teachers might do health too
In my school the Gym teachers teach health as well. PreK-2.

New Jersey​

• Annual income needed to live comfortably: $103,002

30% discretionary spending? That's VERY comfortably. 20% retirement savings is a great goal but not something that a person just out of school has to do. I'll bet housing is the real issue in NJ. Again, for the young, get a roommate.

30% discretionary spending? That's VERY comfortably. 20% retirement savings is a great goal but not something that a person just out of school has to do. I'll bet housing is the real issue in NJ. Again, for the young, get a roommate.
all about goalposts

I'm not a teacher, but I know many of them. Are there any here?

It seems that so many are leaving the profession. From what I know (anecdotally), it's hard to blame them. It's becoming an undoable job. Administrators are forced to weigh them down with non-teaching, time-wasting activities according to the latest trends, state regulations, and whatever the current buzz words are. In many cases, actual teaching time is being slashed via trendy scheduling models, constant drills and assemblies and so much other stuff. More and more students do nothing in class except raise their hands to be excused to fill their water bottles and go to the bathroom. Many can't be bothered to do anything except stare at their phones during class time, and when phones are taken away, they go berserk (as do many parents). There have been some impressive methods for cheating devised, using the latest technology. For a teacher who is truly interested in educating kids, I can see how frustrating that would be.

There are plenty of excellent schools, sensible administrators, solid teachers, and kids who are there with the intention of learning. But it seems like it's getting less so.

Hopefully, if this post isn't deleted, it won't be barraged by "Teachers are commie libs!" or "kids today suck!" responses, which can be tiresome. Just wonder if there are any frustrated teachers here, and if anybody agrees with me about some of the ways we may have made a wrong turn in education.

FYI, I am a nerdy computer programmer, although it may sound like I'm a teacher based on this...
Couldn’t agree more. Add in “balanced literacy“ where if a kid reads a book and writes a report on it you should not be using red ink to correct spelling, punctuation, capitalization, run on sentences. Ect ect.
It should be enough that he/she/cat is being creative, don’t stifle that! I’ll end it right there.

Ironic that the idiots screaming about how lazy teachers are, how easy they have it, etc are the same moron’s with a ‘Back the Blue’ bumper sticker on their cars….

Now I’m not at all suggesting we don’t need police, more so pointing out the unbelievable hypocrisy among this special group of individuals… caring so deeply about one public service while shitting on another.

• Haha
Reactions: Ronnie_B
Ironic that the idiots screaming about how lazy teachers are, how easy they have it, etc are the same moron’s with a ‘Back the Blue’ bumper sticker on their cars….

Now I’m not at all suggesting we don’t need police, more so pointing out the unbelievable hypocrisy among this special group of individuals… caring so deeply about one public service while shitting on another.
congrats, you got the 'moron button' as well. people like you derail these discussion in a negative way

I'm not a teacher, but I know many of them. Are there any here?

It seems that so many are leaving the profession. From what I know (anecdotally), it's hard to blame them. It's becoming an undoable job. Administrators are forced to weigh them down with non-teaching, time-wasting activities according to the latest trends, state regulations, and whatever the current buzz words are. In many cases, actual teaching time is being slashed via trendy scheduling models, constant drills and assemblies and so much other stuff. More and more students do nothing in class except raise their hands to be excused to fill their water bottles and go to the bathroom. Many can't be bothered to do anything except stare at their phones during class time, and when phones are taken away, they go berserk (as do many parents). There have been some impressive methods for cheating devised, using the latest technology. For a teacher who is truly interested in educating kids, I can see how frustrating that would be.

There are plenty of excellent schools, sensible administrators, solid teachers, and kids who are there with the intention of learning. But it seems like it's getting less so.

Hopefully, if this post isn't deleted, it won't be barraged by "Teachers are commie libs!" or "kids today suck!" responses, which can be tiresome. Just wonder if there are any frustrated teachers here, and if anybody agrees with me about some of the ways we may have made a wrong turn in education.

FYI, I am a nerdy computer programmer, although it may sound like I'm a teacher based on this...
my earlier post touched on this and it's definitely an issue. Teaching is becoming less about the teacher in the room and more about the teaching to a curriculum and to the lower end of the mean.

phones!!!!!! kid you not, my district was afraid to ban phones from middle school due to parent outrage. the typical nonsense, 'how will I know where my kid is' and the like and when I responded to the room to the lady who said this with accompanying nods from Starbucks moms, 'if you need a phone to know where your 11yr old kid is, you're the problem and parenting is an issue'. half the room cheered, the moms sulked away

admins cowered

Reactions: newell138

I'm sure exhaustive research backs your conclusion. Or did you just cherry-pick a few individuals and then extrapolate?

I'm sure exhaustive research backs your conclusion. Or did you just cherry-pick a few individuals and then extrapolate?
No exhaustive research needed. Simply common sense. Now if you wanna insult your own intelligence by ignoring or not recognizing the incredible hypocrisy among this group that’s on you. Don’t see any ‘Mom’s for Liberty’ who are liberal👍

Honestly, our whole quality of life in most regards , has went downhill. You can run but cant hide--- things are tougher than even 5 years ago .
Quality of life is what you make of it. Today is a cakewalk compared to the entirety of human history. If you want to say things were better for a ten year window somewhere around the 90s I could get on board, but in general life in the USA in 2024 is among the gentlest, softest spaces to exist in human history. Today's societal failures are of a corruption within, not from without.

We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful. - CS Lewis

Tennessee passed a bill allowing teachers to be armed. I can understand the sentiment, but man, has the expression "What can go wrong?" ever applied more aptly? They are probably thinking of repelling randos with guns shooting up schools, who deserve to be at the business end of one of those guns. But what's going to happen when an armed teacher gets physically pushed to the limit by an abusive student for taking his phone? Adding lethal weapons to a building full of adolescents?" Burn out" might take on a new connotation in Tennessee.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/23/us/tennessee-teachers-gun-carry-bill/index.html

The need (perceived or real, that's another thread) and creation of such legislation is another sign that society is breaking down. Maybe everybody in every generation says that when they reach a certain age. I hope so. Or maybe we are reaching uncharted territory living in a free society where everything is available to everybody, and people learn year by year that it's impossible to enforce rules and laws if too many people refuse to follow them.

Tennessee passed a bill allowing teachers to be armed. I can understand the sentiment, but man, has the expression "What can go wrong?" ever applied more aptly? They are probably thinking of repelling randos with guns shooting up schools, who deserve to be at the business end of one of those guns. But what's going to happen when an armed teacher gets physically pushed to the limit by an abusive student for taking his phone? Adding lethal weapons to a building full of adolescents?" Burn out" might take on a new connotation in Tennessee.

The need (perceived or real, that's another thread) and creation of such legislation is another sign that society is breaking down. Maybe everybody in every generation says that when they reach a certain age. I hope so. Or maybe we are reaching uncharted territory living in a free society where everything is available to everybody, and people learn year by year that it's impossible to enforce rules and laws if too many people refuse to follow them.
I just hope they are making those teachers carry insurance. I would want to a resident of that town and have to pay for a wrongful death suit the first time one if these teachers shoots someone by accident.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

I’m not going to say whether it’s a good idea or not, but I’d imagine every teacher who is going to be armed is already walking around town armed. Are there that many more random , for no good reason, shootings in open carry states vs non open carry states?

no that is not how it works with ccw. gun owners are actually 1 standard deviation 'safer' 'more adherent to laws' and 'less likely to commit crime' than the general public. For a CCW (which is what you have here), it's 2 standard deviations.

FBI has wonderful stats on all of this

Teachers should be armed to protect our kids although statistically, it's safer sitting in class than actually driving to school

my earlier post touched on this and it's definitely an issue. Teaching is becoming less about the teacher in the room and more about the teaching to a curriculum and to the lower end of the mean.

phones!!!!!! kid you not, my district was afraid to ban phones from middle school due to parent outrage. the typical nonsense, 'how will I know where my kid is' and the like and when I responded to the room to the lady who said this with accompanying nods from Starbucks moms, 'if you need a phone to know where your 11yr old kid is, you're the problem and parenting is an issue'. half the room cheered, the moms sulked away

admins cowered
I don't think there are many districts that have banned phones, amazingly. Somehow a lot of the parents of today, who attended schools that didn't even have landlines in classrooms, have convinced themselves that in today's world they need their kids to have phones. Meanwhile, the kids are in class texting, watching videos, playing angry birds, sending photographs of tests and answers to other students, and everything except learning.

It seems that we have set up a system where teachers and administratrors don't have much choice but to cower. If they stand up and speak the truth, there is little chance for change but a lot of chance for blowback in their faces.

In my town (the other one, not Atlantic City), the teacher who ran the drama club was forced out of that job because two parents were angry that their daughters did not get the lead role in the play. One of them ran for the school board, was elected, and forced this woman out last summer. (Not sure what they will do next year when these two girls are competing for the one lead role, ha ha.) I swear to God that I'm not making this up. I know firsthand that this happened. It's just another world now...

I don't think there are many districts that have banned phones, amazingly. Somehow a lot of the parents of today, who attended schools that didn't even have landlines in classrooms, have convinced themselves that in today's world they need their kids to have phones. Meanwhile, the kids are in class texting, watching videos, playing angry birds, sending photographs of tests and answers to other students, and everything except learning.

It seems that we have set up a system where teachers and administratrors don't have much choice but to cower. If they stand up and speak the truth, there is little chance for change but a lot of chance for blowback in their faces.

In my town (the other one, not Atlantic City), the teacher who ran the drama club was forced out of that job because two parents were angry that their daughters did not get the lead role in the play. One of them ran for the school board, was elected, and forced this woman out last summer. (Not sure what they will do next year when these two girls are competing for the one lead role, ha ha.) I swear to God that I'm not making this up. I know firsthand that this happened. It's just another world now...
I agree with you 100%

we have allowed a very juvenile but vocal minority of parents and amins to allow for some absurdities in the schools

looking at the horrific scores throughout the state, it's apparent that we need MORE REMOTE LEARNING to keep the kid safe!! somebody needs get on the phone with the Teachers Union and let them know we need to stay closed LONGER the next time we have a 0% risk to children virus going around.

Reactions: MulletCork
how does a school score a ZERO? so many questions

It gets worse some of the poorest performing school districts get the most money. Not really a shocker but this is all state money
Newark 1.2 billion
Camden 333 million
Bayonne 129 million
Trenton 377 million
Paterson 550 million.

Imagine we asked for a line item budget for all This money

It gets worse some of the poorest performing school districts get the most money. Not really a shocker but this is all state money
Newark 1.2 billion
Camden 333 million
Bayonne 129 million
Trenton 377 million
Paterson 550 million.

Imagine we asked for a line item budget for all This money
they used some of the money to create fairyland positions of "Parent/Teacher Liaison", "Diversity Liaison", DEI Counselors (Diversity, Equality, Inclusion), Inclusion Access and Belonging Officers, ETC ETC. basically jobs created for the districts to use vs potential lawsuits or accusations of not doing enough when a shithead kid and his/them/they/thus/thing/it shithead parents (or singular) wants to blame EVERYBODY ELSE BUT THEMSELVES

I just saw this thread and I just want to express my appreciation of teachers. My viewpoint changed during the pandemic, and given everything they have to deal with, and the importance of the jobs, they should be paid more...and be given more respect.

I just saw this thread and I just want to express my appreciation of teachers. My viewpoint changed during the pandemic, and given everything they have to deal with, and the importance of the jobs, they should be paid more...and be given more respect.
Honestly can’t tell if you are serious or not.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
What I learned as a teacher in the pandemic is that when given the option of keeping their difficult kids at home with them to learn virtually or send them to school to an unknown situation, every parent in my school district chose the send to school option. It was quite the experience.

I've never before, or probably ever again, see the circus that was my students during that year. It was nuts but I have A LOT of great stories from it!

From actual first hand experience in public schools we had more teachers mail it in during and after pandemic vs teachers going above and beyond
As did I.

Which is why I said what I said.

I can’t and won’t speak for others. But that was my experience.

From actual first hand experience in public schools we had more teachers mail it in during and after pandemic vs teachers going above and beyond
I'm curious, what was your first hand experience? Parent? Administrator? Teacher?

As did I.

Which is why I said what I said.

I can’t and won’t speak for others. But that was my experience.
We had teachers (multiple) who would put out pre-recorded videos on a regular basis during remote schooling.

• Wow
We had teachers (multiple) who would put out pre-recorded videos on a regular basis during remote schooling.
I think the admins set crappy expectations for your school district. Mine immediately invested millions in technology, hardware and apps to support learning. They also established standards as to what was acceptable teaching and not. Our expectation was 100 percent live teaching lessons with the usual amount of support. It's a shame that you are your kids had to experience a crappy situation that like. There were districts that did much better though.

I think the admins set crappy expectations for your school district. Mine immediately invested millions in technology, hardware and apps to support learning. They also established standards as to what was acceptable teaching and not. Our expectation was 100 percent live teaching lessons with the usual amount of support. It's a shame that you are your kids had to experience a crappy situation that like. There were districts that did much better though.
Are you in public or private, if you don't mind me asking

In our district (Township, not Atlantic City), which is probably one of the larger ones in South Jersey, teachers had no choice but to do this. The technology and internet bandwidth did not exist/was not available for every teacher to go live every period. Preparing videos and getting them online was at least as much work as doing the class sessions live, as the teachers were used to doing. I'm not sure why this is being portrayed as horrifying behavior during the pandemic. It's not like they assigned the same video all semester. They had to regularly create and upload new ones, to advance through the curriculum with new video lessons every day, same as when they were doing the lectures live.

I'm pretty sure the technology and bandwidth are available now. One of the many changes from the Covid period.

Everybody else's job is always easy, it seems (sarcasm). I'm guilty of having that attitude sometimes myself. Then I imagine how somebody might describe my programming job as a piece of cake, because all they see is me sitting on my arse at a computer. And I know it's not.

Last edited:
Reactions: RuBird
Are you in public or private, if you don't mind me asking
Public. West Windsor-Plainsboro. One of the best due to all facets (administration, parents and teachers) working together in a cohesive and similar way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT