ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Bermuda recommendations

RRRRUUUU95

Redshirt
Sep 11, 2015
Planning a trip with friends (8-10 buddies, no couples this round) to Bermuda in October. Appreciate any recommendations from those who've been on where to stay, where to dine and drink, what to do during the day and at night. General and specific recommendations all welcome.

Ideally looking to rent out a house near the beach and close to restaurants and nightlife that can serve as a centrally located home base. Golf, jet skiing, snorkeling, beach bumming all part of initial thoughts.

Thanks in advance for sharing your insight.

Just yesterday I booked a trip there for October. Only me and my wife though so it will be a very different trip. We've been there before so I can offer a bit of advice though.

For nightlife you'll either want to be in/near downtown Hamilton or at a location that gives you quick access to it by ferry, bus, or taxi. Cabs are pretty expensive around there and the bus system is pretty awesome so while you'll likely have a bunch of guys splitting rides, taking the bus around isn't a bad alternative. If you're planning on spending a lot of time at the beach, you probably won't want to stay in Hamilton. Most of the hotels there either don't have their own beach, so you take shuttles and even ferries to other beaches, or have private beaches that are still a golf cart away.

From what I've seen, houses for rent tend to be far away from most things so maybe look more into villas/cottages at hotels than a VRBO type...but maybe you get lucky.

The Fairmont Southampton has a really nice par 3 course that can be played in about 2 hours apparently, and Port Royal is one of the best courses you can play.

We're staying at Elbow Beach...the public beach is pretty popular and a pretty frequent stop for tourists but they have their own private beach as well. It was expensive (as is everything on the island) but they have some good specials going, 3rd night free, etc (we're going 6 nights). We are going much more for beach and relaxing than nightlife so being at a nice resort right on the beach was more important.

If you end up looking more into hotels, Grotto Bay is a good lower cost option. Good location, has an all inclusive plan if you choose to do it. We stayed there our first time around.

I played Port Royal, it is really good.

Mid-Ocean is supposed to be even better, it is private but visitors can play, usually with help from the hotel.

Is it "$230 (greens fees plus rentals) and piss off your wife by being gone for 6 hours on vacation just to play as a single" good?

Asking for a friend.

I played there 22 years ago, it was considerably less than $230 to play. I played as a single and played with three locals who couldn't have been nicer, but that part could be hit or miss.

It all depends on the wife, my wife of less than a week at the time was fine with it.

Here is the 16th.

port-royal-golf-course-16-hole.png

Yeah that pic is basically why I would consider it. Otherwise I'm comfortable playing the par 3 and being back on the beach by 10am.

My favorite beaches are the ones without any facilities as they tend to be less toursity. I'm a big fan of the smaller beaches to the west of Elbow Beach. Be aware of the cruise ship schedules I think peak time is Tuesday - Thursday.

We were there in June and have been 8 or 9 times over the years. We love it but it is expensive. The last 5 or 6 times we've stayed at The Reefs, which is beautiful with its own private beach. Prepare to open the wallet. We've also stayed at Elbow beach, which has been rebuilt since the hurricane a few years back. Years ago stayed at Sonesta and Lantona Colony but the latter isn't open any more. The Reefs is small, which we like better than the Larger hotels. THe Mid-Ocean golf club is the best on the island and most of the better hotels can get you on (I think Monday, Wednesday and Friday). My son and I played and it ran $600 or a bit more. Hamilton is where there are lots of restaurants and bars. Taking the ferry there is pretty cool but you can grab a cab. We never got scoters but a lot of people do. If you like history, the Fort at the dockyard is well worth a few hours. Try to avoid beaches that the cruise ships use (if you aren't going to a place like the Reefs with its own beach). Great snorkeling right off shore or you can take a boat to one of the wrecks. You might take the ferry or charter a boat to see the island from offshore is really great. There are some interesting caves to explor around grotto bay if you like that. The island is just beautiful, no neon lights, Golden Arches, stupid colors, etc.

Depending on how much you'll want to move around, you might consider renting mopeds. Haven't been recently, but I recall moped rentals being pretty inexpensive as compared to many other things in Bermuda.

But if drinking a lot, leave the mopeds behind because the whole driving on the opposite side of the road thing can get tricky when going through some Bermuda intersections while drunk. Had a friend that wound up in the hospital there in an induced coma after a moped accident.

Depending on how much you'll want to move around, you might consider renting mopeds. Haven't been recently, but I recall moped rentals being pretty inexpensive as compared to many other things in Bermuda.

But if drinking a lot, leave the mopeds behind because the whole driving on the opposite side of the road thing can get tricky when going through some Bermuda intersections while drunk. Had a friend that wound up in the hospital there in an induced coma after a moped accident.
When my wife and I were there the first time in 2012, we had planned on renting a moped...until hearing that an American couple had died a couple weeks earlier when they made a turn but crossed over into the right side of the road out of habit. No thank you.

Appreciate the info. Hamilton appears to be the ideal place to stay as far as proximity to beaches, downtown, nightlife.

Wonderful island and beaches as nice as any I have ever been on. Nightlife is a bit of a haul from the cooler beaches. Almost killed myself on Moped. Luckily wound up in hedges. Would be very leary of whole Moped thing and avoid if you can.

here is my advice, don't go! I lived there for 3 years. there are much better places to go that have better hotels, restaurants, things to do at a much more affordable price.

That is the issue. It's trey pricey. Trade off is the close-ness, safe-ness and nice-ness. Are those words?

As mentioned above, the Reefs is a great property. The finest property I have ever experienced on any island is at Tuckers Point in Bermuda. Very expensive but less than a half mile from two great golf courses. Nearby, but with reasonable prices is Grotto Bay Resort.

http://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/tuckers-point-bermuda/gallery

Any of this board thinking of going to Bermuda next June should reconsider as the America's Cup sailboat races will be held off of the island in 2017.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rutgers81
Jet Blue just announced a 50% OFF both air & Hamilton Princess Hotel in Sept/Oct until Sunday. Watch out for hurricanes!

When my wife and I were there the first time in 2012, we had planned on renting a moped...until hearing that an American couple had died a couple weeks earlier when they made a turn but crossed over into the right side of the road out of habit. No thank you.
Might be an overreaction. People have accidents all the time. I'd be curious to see what the stats are on moped accidents in Bermuda.

Might be an overreaction. People have accidents all the time. I'd be curious to see what the stats are on moped accidents in Bermuda.

Dont rent a moped there....its way too dangerous with the traffic circles and opposite side driving.Water ferry is easy to get around the island..and safest.

Dont rent a moped there....its way too dangerous with the traffic circles and opposite side driving.Water ferry is easy to get around the island..and safest.
I've done it and didn't find it all that unsafe. Just go slow the first few times.

Speaking from experience, its no over reaction. I betcha under reported near misses. Opposite side of road, no shoulders, inexperienced drivers, etc. Thought very dangerous.

Last edited:
Jet Blue just announced a 50% OFF both air & Hamilton Princess Hotel in Sept/Oct until Sunday. Watch out for hurricanes!
Just a heads up that this place is a solid 20-30 minutes from their beach. You take a ferry and then a shuttle.

Reactions: RAA-1
No The offer also is good for the Southampton location which is a 3-4 minute walk or a free ride on the hotel van to the beach.

If you got the cash, then is only the Reefs.

golf courses near by. Private beach. Cab it to town.

(Bermuda doesn't sound like the place for 8 to 10 guys looking to get after it though. Its a couple island if you ask me)

Reactions: ScarletNut
If you got the cash, then is only the Reefs.

golf courses near by. Private beach. Cab it to town.

(Bermuda doesn't sound like the place for 8 to 10 guys looking to get after it though. Its a couple island if you ask me)
Reefs has a great beach with a big rock to swim to and coves you can dive off rocks into, really cool.
Your Caesar Salad lunch with one beer will cost you 35 sheets...lol

Last edited:
Reefs has a great beach with a big rock to swim to and coves you can dive off rocks into, really cool.
Your Caesar Salad lunch with one beer will ciost you 35 sheets...lol

We were there in June with the kids (going to be juniors at RU) and of course it was expensive but nothing like two years ago when we took the kids for high school graduation and they each brought a friend. They were 18 (drinking age there)... Four figure bar tab...

Reactions: zappaa
main-500.jpg

Anyone going with the Mrs can try Cambridge beaches, it cottage colony in Somerset and near the Dockyard ferry. We stayed in the Pegem cottage last year, its the signature accomodation, a 2100'sq ft home. Team Oracle will use it as the base for the 2017 Americas cup. It runs between $800-1200 a night though

Regular suites can run in the 400 range though

Btw reefs is excellent, they closed the main dining room for dinner a few years ago. We were there in the 90's and had dinner at the table next to Steve Tyler and his then current wife

I just got back from staying at the Reefs with my girlfriend two days ago. It was expensive but amazing, probably the best resort I've ever been to. Overall, I agree that Bermuda is not really where I'd go for a guys trip, it's more a place to spend time with the wife/gf, unless you are really, really into golf. As far as nightlife goes, I heard Calico Jacks is a decent party spot down in Somerset, it's basically a party on a pirate ship looking thing.

Btw reefs is excellent, they closed the main dining room for dinner a few years ago. We were there in the 90's and had dinner at the table next to Steve Tyler and his then current wife
Just to clarify, the main dining room is open.

Tucker's Point (tell Roger his pals from MN say hi), and get the rockfish at Wahoo's. Pricy locale. I stayed clear of the mopeds too - didn't trust those circles going the wrong way at all.

Just to clarify, the main dining room is open.

Just to fully clarify Ocean Echo which used to be the main restaraunt with a great dinner is now only open for breakfast and Sunday Brunch and no longer serves dinner. But yes the former bar restaraunt Auqa now serves a very nice dinner, and is the "new" main dining room

Just to fully clarify Ocean Echo which used to be the main restaraunt with a great dinner is now only open for breakfast and Sunday Brunch and no longer serves dinner. But yes the former bar restaraunt Auqa now serves a very nice dinner, and is the "new" main dining room
I guess semantics and the name change. The same physical areas are open. They just changed the name.

Negril, Jamaica would be great and a lot cheaper, just not many good golf courses. Reasonable booze and Ganga though ! Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT