ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Cape Cod suggestions

RUDutch

Junior
Nov 18, 2006
Leaving for Cape Cod tomorrow for the week (with wife and some extended family). I plan on playing some golf and hitting the bike trail and beach. Any suggestions for other things to do or good mid-priced restaurants. We'll be in the Barnstable area.

Baxter's (Boathouse side) - Fun casual w/ good atmosphere on water
Black Cat Hyannis - right off harbor, great food
Trader Ed's Hyannis - younger crowd, fun bar
Pain d'Avignon and Naked Oyster Hyannis - both great food
In Osterville, 5 Bays is really good, Crisp is fun/casual. The Islander is a cool spot, but it's changed hands/formats so not sure on food

Good day trips - Skaket Beach in Orleans. Interesting tide going in/out. Cahoon Hollow - gorgeous beach on National Seashore. Beachcomber is good spot for lunch or end of day drinks.

Whale watch tours out of Barnstable harbor are unreal experience.

Last edited:
Take a day trip to Provincetown, walk the length of Commercial St , or at least part of it, some fantastic indoor/outdoor bars and restaurants, and a nice Art District on the West End. Beautiful harbor views everywhere.
Favorite outdoor bar /restaurant-
Nor'East
http://www.thenoreastbeergarden.com/

Favorite Restaurant- The Mews or Red Inn

Walk the length of the big commerical Wharf and check out the yachts and working boat.

Giant Sand Dunes at Race Point beach, with nice , paved , pine tree lined, bike trails going through many of the dunes.

Rent a pontoon boat and go around P'town harbor, see lots of seels, birds, and occasional whale (terrific whale watching further out on The Banks, check Dolphin Tours )

Did you know the Mayflower originally landed at Provincetown ?, winter was too harsh, so they moved a bit west towards Plymouth Rock.

Next weekend is the big Festival of the year on P'town so the town will be hopping.

My sister lives there , so I get to go up about once a summer with my family. There is a large, gay population in P'town so hopefully your entourage won't have any issues. Think of Key West North.
Enjoy your vacation.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeyHuey
Leaving for Cape Cod tomorrow for the week (with wife and some extended family). I plan on playing some golf and hitting the bike trail and beach. Any suggestions for other things to do or good mid-priced restaurants. We'll be in the Barnstable area.
I used to live down there but I'm not super current on what the best places are. However if you have time for a day trip, I always liked running off to Nantucket for the day. http://www.hyannistonantucket.com/

Take a day trip to Provincetown, walk the length of Commercial St , or at least part of it, some fantastic indoor/outdoor bars and restaurants, and a nice Art District on the West End.
Favorite outdoor bar /restaurant-
Nor'East
http://www.thenoreastbeergarden.com/

Favorite Restaurant- The Mews or Red Inn

Walk the length of the big commerical Wharf and check out the yachts and working boat.

Giant Sand Dunes at Race Point beach, with nice , paved , pine tree lined, bike trails going through many of the dunes.

Rent a pontoon boat and go around P'town harbor, see lots of seels, birds, and occasional whale (terrific whale watching further out on The Banks, check Dolphin Tours )

Did you know the Mayflower originally landed at Provincetown ?, winter was too harsh, so they moved a bit west towards Plymouth Rock.

Next weekend is the big Festival of the year on P'town so the town will be hopping.

My sister lives there , so I get to go up about once a summer with my family. There is a large, gay population in P'town so hopefully your entourage won't have any issues. Think of Key West North.
Enjoy your vacation.
Doing a long weekend in Boston next week and was considering taking the ferry to P-town. Thanks for the tips.

Reactions: Abro1975
If you go up to Provincetown try Art's Dune Tours.
Also if still playing, catch a Cap Cod league baseball game.

On the way to ptown, go to wellfleet harbor, sit on the pier and eat...whatelse wellfleet oysters! There is a drive in theater in wellfleet. Look for a Sundae School for ice cream. Chathman is a good place for the mrs to shop on a cloudy day, nice light house and fishing pier there fun to watch the commercial boats off load.. We always stay in east orleans and go to nausett beach.

Chatham bars in if you want a high end dinner. If you golf go to the captain in Brewster, play the "port" if you can. Sunsets on the bayside are always great.

Already mentioned..cape league game (playoff may be over already though), the bike trail is great, and skaket is interesting. Kayaking is fun on both sides of the cape as well.

Lobster roll is the thing to eat too.

Oh and bring your yankee gear....

I live 30 miles north of Boston and spend summers every year in Orleans. Day trips should include Wellfleet--some very nice art galleries if that's your thing . P-town also has some very nice galleries. Bring bikes if you enjoy cycling--the rail trail runs throughout the cape. Favorite beach area is Nauset Beach in Orleans although Light House beach in Chatham is very nice and you can be ferried ( small power boat) to a small sand bar off shore that's great for swimming. Impudent Oyster in Chatham is very good and the Brewster Fish house is even better. My favorite restaurant is Abba in Orleans . It's excellent and the chef is Israeli. You can go on a day or half day party boat from Orleans and fish for stripers and blues --great take for party of 6 but expensive. Plenty of very nice public golf courses--my favorite is Captains in Brewster. Beautiful well-kept public course. If you're a golfer and don't mind driving a little farther , drive off-cape to Plymouth and play Pine Hills. One of the only 5 star public golf courses in New England. Terrific two 18hole courses . Favorite evening things include Cape cod league baseball --great baseball but I believe the season may be over by now . If not , bring lawn chairs and get there early. Also if you have young kids , take in the Chatham music outdoor sing/dance along on Friday nights --also bring a lawn chair. Great family fun that brings back memories of days long ago when everything about this country seemed better....

Never would have thought of Abro1975 as a Provincetown type of guy.

I've spent lots of time over the years in Falmouth on Cape Cod. Great area.

Never would have thought of Abro1975 as a Provincetown type of guy.

I've spent lots of time over the years in Falmouth on Cape Cod. Great area.

I go to visit my sister , lol. She plays for that other team, God bless her. Been up there so many times I can give some pointers. 'Bear' week in P'town was a real eye opener , LOL. Hey , even Archie Bunkers can become a bit open minded .

Reactions: Knightmoves
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. I'll let you know which ones I took after the week is over. I was going to visit P'Town but the LGBLT Carnival week doesn't sound like my thing (not so much the gay aspect, but crowds are not my thing). If I wanted crowds I could go to Point Pleasant.

Used to spend a week every summer in North Truro, near P-town from the late 80s until about 5-6 years ago (father-in-law used to get a place for the month, but he's too old now) and always loved it up there. A whale watch is a must. A visit to P-town is also a must, if you like great restaurants, art galleries and cool bars. Highly recommend the Mews, Ciro and Sal's and the Lobster Pot in town and in Truro, try the Blackfish, as well as Jam's general store, for the best cinnamon raisin swirls on the planet.

Wellfleet is also very nice (a little more upscale) with several good restaurants and my favorite beach and divebar, the Beachcomber - they have national acts and great bar food, right on a big dune overlooking the ocean. Our kind of joint. Several great lighthouses on the peninsula and a day trip to Nantucket is worth it, as is a trip to Woods Hole if you like marine science (like George Costanza, lol). Just don't drive there or back during the busy times, as it can be a nightmare at the wrong time.

I live in Mashpee, all great suggestions. P-town is beautiful, but it will be butts to nutz packed this weekend. The Beachcomber in Wellfleet is nice, great beach bar. Tons of bike paths, both paved and off road. If you have any questions when you get here, post em here. Enjoy the stay,

Truth be told one of my favorite days of the year is the first Tuesday after Labor Day when all you people leave this little slice of heaven. No more traffic, no more people fishing in my spot, no more crazies in the rotary and Stop and Shop!

Just got back from a week in Ptown. Great week. We rent an apartment every year on Commercial Street right off the bay. The dog has an awesome time walking the beach and swimming. One of the best dog friendly towns I've been to. Would start my mornings off by going for a long walk and hitting up the Portuguese Bakery and Wired Puppy for my breakfast. Could not get enough of lobster rolls. The Box Lunch has a delicious warm lobster roll with melted swiss cheese and avocado in a wrap. Best part of the trip is I never had to get into the car after we arrived. Would walk into the center of town 3 times a day

Just got back from a week in Ptown. Great week. We rent an apartment every year on Commercial Street right off the bay. The dog has an awesome time walking the beach and swimming. One of the best dog friendly towns I've been to. Would start my mornings off by going for a long walk and hitting up the Portuguese Bakery and Wired Puppy for my breakfast. Could not get enough of lobster rolls. The Box Lunch has a delicious warm lobster roll with melted swiss cheese and avocado in a wrap. Best part of the trip is I never had to get into the car after we arrived. Would walk into the center of town 3 times a day

Sorry, but that's not a lobster roll. :>) I remember when Clem and Ursie's closed several years ago - they were a P-town institution and had the best lobster rolls I've ever had. Not sure where I'd go for one now - maybe the Lobster Pot.

Completely agree on P-town being a great town for just walking around with everything close by. Used to always visit the marine supply/salvage store, which was loaded with cool stuff and there were always lots of cool, offbeat shops, toy stores, art shops, etc.

Reactions: RUtix4me and RURM85
Sorry, but that's not a lobster roll. :>) I remember when Clem and Ursie's closed several years ago - they were a P-town institution and had the best lobster rolls I've ever had. Not sure where I'd go for one now - maybe the Lobster Pot.

Completely agree on P-town being a great town for just walking around with everything close by. Used to always visit the marine supply/salvage store, which was loaded with cool stuff and there were always lots of cool, offbeat shops, toy stores, art shops, etc.

Lobster Pot is one of my favorite restaurants. I like the Lobster rolls there, just not great. I also found Youngs Fish Market in Orleans to have great lobster rolls. It's right off the docks in Rock Harbor.

Yeah, yeah, I get the Lunch Box's lobster meat is not on the hot dog bun and it's a wrap. Still real tasty.

I am on CC every weekend and vacations. Eastham.

P-Town is so worth the drive, but I would suggest to go for the evening. The vibe is great. Really great places to eat along the main drag.

My wife's cousins own Mac's Shack and Mac's Pier in Wellfleet. If you go to the cape enough and haven't eaten at Mac's Shack (and its no shack), your doing yourself a major disservice. The outdoor bar is amazing.

Last edited:
When you leave the cape, use Google maps or similar to get around rt 6 bridge traffic. Saved 28 minutes last night coming back. Find a Cuffy's for shirts when you explore. Hard to beat 9.99 for family t-shirts. The sweatshirts are going to cost you. Learn the tides for the week. Catch an outgoing low tide on bay side for a good beach walk. Skaket is a favorite, but lots of other bay side beaches closer to you have a similar experience. Happy Fish Bakery in Yarmouth is sparse but good for croissants (open thu-sun). Water cleared on beaches in Chatham yesterday due to great white sighting. Cape Cod Waterways boat rental in Dennisport on 28 has a good river to kayak.

I grew up in Barnstable! Have fun... nowhere I'd rather be in the summer than on Cape.*

*Which is actually a good point. You will be "on Cape Cod", not "in Cape Cod."

I grew up in Barnstable! Have fun... nowhere I'd rather be in the summer than on Cape.*

*Which is actually a good point. You will be "on Cape Cod", not "in Cape Cod."

Yep - just like in Jersey, where you go "go down the shore" not "go to the shore."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT