ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Eternal Lawn Care Thread

Any experts here have thoughts on when I should be putting down Spring crabgress preventer. That was a huge issue of mine last year. I wound up killing my entire lawn last Sept and reseeded. Everything took well. Im hopefully to get ahead of crabgrass this year.
Any insight on products or when to put down would be appreciated.
I put it down when the forsythia blooms. That’s generally been March 15 to April 10. I like Dimension, but Baricade is excellent too and lasts a bit longer.

I put it down when the forsythia blooms. That’s generally been March 15 to April 10. I like Dimension, but Baricade is excellent too and lasts a bit longer.
"When the forsythia blooms" is a great visual indicator and good rule of thumb. I'm a lawn care nut so I throw down prodiamine or pendimethaline (rotate from year to year) when soil temps are consistently 50 degrees for a few days. Which usually coincides with forsythia blooming around the neighborhood.

Any experts here have thoughts on when I should be putting down Spring crabgress preventer. That was a huge issue of mine last year. I wound up killing my entire lawn last Sept and reseeded. Everything took well. Im hopefully to get ahead of crabgrass this year.
I'm going to try something different this season since crabgrass has been an ongoing issue since I've been down in Delaware with this clay soil. I'll be putting preventer down around the beginning of the month after I aerate but i'm also going to put down another batch in early June to help prevent the late season infestation I normally get.

Have any of you fellas paid attention to the price of fertilizer this spring???????/ Mind-blowing how much the prices have gone up....

Have any of you fellas paid attention to the price of fertilizer this spring???????/ Mind-blowing how much the prices have gone up....
Yes I have. Was doing a loading dock for Twin Pond's farm. I know them, we were bullshitting about inflation and at the time 2 months ago fertilizer had gone from $400 a ton to over a $1000. Now add in the newfound increase in gas/diesel and I can't even imagine the price. Expect all produce prices to sky rocket this spring.

I'm hoping those who sell local won't try to jack there prices up...
He’s local and sells to Delicious Orchards and places like that. They tried to eat the costs for a while but prices have gotten so bad they have no choice but to raise theirs.

Which Dimension product. Google search shows different kinds with numbers at the end. Is the stuff from HD ok, lesco 19 0 7?

Fellas I've also noticed many more weeds in my yard for this time of year and was really thinking about using the Scott's triple threat product. Any other suggestions for weed & crabgrass control non liquid?????

Which Dimension product. Google search shows different kinds with numbers at the end. Is the stuff from HD ok, lesco 19 0 7?
I use a liquid, Dimension 2ew. Dimension is actually a brand, the active ingredient is Dithiopyr, which is in many brands. Lesco 19 0 7 is fine if you want to fertilize too. The numbers are nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium (fertilizer).

Last edited:
Fellas I've also noticed many more weeds in my yard for this time of year and was really thinking about using the Scott's triple threat product. Any other suggestions for weed & crabgrass control non liquid?????
Scott’s Triple Action is both a weed killer and preemergent. It’s fine. Lesco or others with preemergent are fine too, but most aren’t both a killer and preM.

I'm going to try something different this season since crabgrass has been an ongoing issue since I've been down in Delaware with this clay soil. I'll be putting preventer down around the beginning of the month after I aerate but i'm also going to put down another batch in early June to help prevent the late season infestation I normally get.
Good plan. I always do split applications, about 4 mo this apart. The label with generally give you dosages for single and split applications.

Best electric mower out there?
My boys bought me a Ryobi 40V HP for Father's Day last year and I love it. It's also a great way into that whole 40V ecosystem as mine came with 2 large capacity batteries and a charger. I only ever need one battery for the cutting and standard weed wacking but will dip into the second if I'm edging. My property is admittedly small though. Also made in the USA from imported parts if that has meaning for you (it does to me). Ryobi makes surprisingly resilient and powerful machines.

Reactions: rurichdog and Zak57
My boys bought me a Ryobi 40V HP for Father's Day last year and I love it. It's also a great way into that whole 40V ecosystem as mine came with 2 large capacity batteries and a charger. I only ever need one battery for the cutting and standard weed wacking but will dip into the second if I'm edging. My property is admittedly small though. Also made in the USA from imported parts if that has meaning for you (it does to me). Ryobi makes surprisingly resilient and powerful machines.
Thanks! My property isn't too large so was thinking of a 40V but have heard some differing reviews of the Ryobi.

Thanks! My property isn't too large so was thinking of a 40V but have heard some differing reviews of the Ryobi.
So far, I really like mine a lot and even bought myself a 40V powerhead to replace the gas powerhead I've had for over 10 years for the Expand-it attachment line. Seamless transition. That's another good thing about Ryobi I've found. Once they create a specific line (40V, 18V etc.) everything is compatible going forward. Old batteries work with new machines and vice versa. Granted, I'm really not that tough on my equipment but it seems to hold up well.

Yes I have. Was doing a loading dock for Twin Pond's farm. I know them, we were bullshitting about inflation and at the time 2 months ago fertilizer had gone from $400 a ton to over a $1000. Now add in the newfound increase in gas/diesel and I can't even imagine the price. Expect all produce prices to sky rocket this spring.
My lawn fertilization guy is out of Farmingdale, and he said a good chunk of the fertilizer raw materials are made in Russia/Ukraine.

I put mine down last Thursday.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Still didnt see much on which product people really like. Any more insight would be much appreciated

My lawn fertilization guy is out of Farmingdale, and he said a good chunk of the fertilizer raw materials are made in Russia/Ukraine.

Oceangro is organic and made in Ocean County NJ. A bit more expensive than synthetic but a great product.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Still didnt see much on which product people really like. Any more insight would be much appreciated

Here is liquid Dimension and a granular pre emergent with the same active ingredient (Dithiopyr). Both are good as are some others mentioned earlier.

Good plan. I always do split applications, about 4 mo this apart. The label with generally give you dosages for single and split applications.
I never understood the breakdown for single applications or applications in general. I've always went by what the settings for the droppers are. I have about .70 of an acre but don't understand the math..

I never understood the breakdown for single applications or applications in general. I've always went by what the settings for the droppers are. I have about .70 of an acre but don't understand the math..
The label should tell you the setting and amount to put down per 1000 sq ft. It also likely says how long the coverage will be a a specific rate. They’ll also e max amount per year. So I think you could do an application soon, then again in about 4 months and a fall application if you want—subject to label directions.

So I put down my Prodiamine today. It was my first time using a liquid pre emergent and my sprayer. I calibrated it with just water beforehand. I broke my property up into 4 sections, used 1 gallon of liquid per 1000sq ft. I did ok but seemed to have about 12oz of liquids left in my sprayer for the first 3 sections. Guess I walked too fast. With the rain forecast for tomorrow and Saturday mother nature will water it in for me.

As for the spring fertilizers here is a interesting video from Ryan Knorr. Last season I used a Lesco product that contained Dimension. It was a 30-0-5 and my grass grew like crazy. Almost too fast. I applied it in late March I believe. I'm looking for something with a little less N this year and without the pre emergent as I already used Prodiamine today. Yard Mastery has their Flagship that is 24-0-6 but even that may be too much N? I think Im gonna wait till mid April this year for my first fertilizer application. Maybe a product with a slower release N would be better.

Oceangro is organic and made in Ocean County NJ. A bit more expensive than synthetic but a great product.
We use Oceangro when starting new pastures great organic stuff. It's cheap and I love that my own sh*t becomes fertilizer. My wife actually called them to see how long till animals can graze on it. They recommended 30 days as it's slow release.

The race over here continues to get topsoiled, fertilized and seeded by the end of March. Fences just finished up yesterday and topsoil delivered. Just some slight grading left to do, then it's top soil, Oceangro harrow raked in and topped with pasture seed which gets harrow raked. Finally it's pray for rain.

Last edited:
So I put down my Prodiamine today. It was my first time using a liquid pre emergent and my sprayer. I calibrated it with just water beforehand. I broke my property up into 4 sections, used 1 gallon of liquid per 1000sq ft. I did ok but seemed to have about 12oz of liquids left in my sprayer for the first 3 sections. Guess I walked too fast. With the rain forecast for tomorrow and Saturday mother nature will water it in for me.

As for the spring fertilizers here is a interesting video from Ryan Knorr. Last season I used a Lesco product that contained Dimension. It was a 30-0-5 and my grass grew like crazy. Almost too fast. I applied it in late March I believe. I'm looking for something with a little less N this year and without the pre emergent as I already used Prodiamine today. Yard Mastery has their Flagship that is 24-0-6 but even that may be too much N? I think Im gonna wait till mid April this year for my first fertilizer application. Maybe a product with a slower release N would be better.

i do a winterizer fert in November so don’t do a spring until Memorial Day. I tend to focus on total nitrogen through the year rather than one application but there is not one single way. I like slow release (Oceangro or Miloganite).

Reactions: Postman_1

Yard Mastery had a Freedom product that was 17-7-6. I don't know if they are selling it this year.

My neighbors Forsythia starting blooming on Friday and Greencast has the avg soil temp for my area being 57 the last 5 days. Glad I got my pre emergent down on Wednesday.
Im looking to upgrade my spreader. I currently have the Scotts Edgeguard one from one of the big box stores. I know alot of people complain about it because it distributes the fertilizer unevenly and can lead to striping. I was looking at the Earthway 2600a or Echo RB60. Both are made in the USA. Im looking for one hopefully under $200. It seems finding these in stock is tuff nowadays. The Earthway has a few week backup on some sites I looked at. I was able to find the Echo in stock online somewhere. Any suggestions?

My neighbors Forsythia starting blooming on Friday and Greencast has the avg soil temp for my area being 57 the last 5 days. Glad I got my pre emergent down on Wednesday.
Im looking to upgrade my spreader. I currently have the Scotts Edgeguard one from one of the big box stores. I know alot of people complain about it because it distributes the fertilizer unevenly and can lead to striping. I was looking at the Earthway 2600a or Echo RB60. Both are made in the USA. Im looking for one hopefully under $200. It seems finding these in stock is tuff nowadays. The Earthway has a few week backup on some sites I looked at. I was able to find the Echo in stock online somewhere. Any suggestions?
Chapin or Lesco are great. If you want to go crazy, the Anderson 2000 is super, but $900…

• Wow
Above every acre of land on the planet is 35,000 tons on atmospheric nitrogen. Why buy expensive nitrogen fertilizer, most of which will end up in your local watershed? Every possible nutrient your plants need is currently in your soil....guaranteed. The trick is making those nutrients plant available.
Get your soil biology correct and let microbes take care of all of your nutrient cycling. Soil is alive and should be managed as such. Soil biology and plants have an established ~500 million year old symbiotic relationship. Let nature do nature.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Above every acre of land on the planet is 35,000 tons on atmospheric nitrogen. Why buy expensive nitrogen fertilizer, most of which will end up in your local watershed? Every possible nutrient your plants need is currently in your soil....guaranteed. The trick is making those nutrients plant available.
Get your soil biology correct and let microbes take care of all of your nutrient cycling. Soil is alive and should be managed as such. Soil biology and plants have an established ~500 million year old symbiotic relationship. Let nature do nature.
Bingo. Take a ride out to Lancaster, PA and you’ll see the greenest, most lush lawns you’ll ever see. Those guys aren’t using anything that sounds like a transformers villain on their lawns

• Haha
Reactions: koleszar and RUDead
I haven't put down my crabgrass yet even though i'm seeing several plants/trees start to bud and with the weather being as warm as it was over the past several weeks I was thinking I would need to fert before my planned Apr 1 but it seems like temperatures will begin to get back to normal for the rest of the month starting Wednesday so I will have time to thatch then aerate my lawn.

Bingo. Take a ride out to Lancaster, PA and you’ll see the greenest, most lush lawns you’ll ever see. Those guys aren’t using anything that sounds like a transformers villain on their lawns
Transformers Villian had me rolling 🤣. Thanks for the laugh. We only use Oceangro to start up our pastures then it's the animals that fertilize. We put down wood ash from the stoves mixed with lime every few years to lessen the acidity.

Last edited:
Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I haven't put down my crabgrass yet even though i'm seeing several plants/trees start to bud and with the weather being as warm as it was over the past several weeks I was thinking I would need to fert before my planned Apr 1 but it seems like temperatures will begin to get back to normal for the rest of the month starting Wednesday so I will have time to thatch then aerate my lawn.
Just a reminder but you probably already know, don’t aerate after pre-emergent or it will break the barrier and not prevent weed germination.

Just a reminder but you probably already know, don’t aerate after pre-emergent or it will break the barrier and not prevent weed germination.
I did that very thing a few years ago with dreadful results.
Our service came back a week or two ago, and we still have a lot of thistle and those weeds with small white flowers that seem to be in a lot of lawns. Patience, I guess.

They're calling for rain wed/thur so I want to thatch & aerate on Friday so I can put the pre-emergent down after. I was just worried with how warm its been the past several weeks...

And advice for keeping these weeds out of the flower beds? I try to keep up with pulling them but it becomes a daily activity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT