ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For the cordcutters - Sony Vue rolls out nationally.

I wasn't clear here, but I'm bundled now. If I go to Vue I'd obviously be unbundled and there's a VASTLY better deal from WOW than Time Warner for unbundled internet. So, by default, I'll be bumping up at least 5mpbs and can go up 35mbps and still save money.

So...results! Or first impression at least. I spent about 2 hours with it last night, turning it off around 8:00 because I wanted to flip over to the Indiana game on CBS, which is not included on Vue. The guide takes some getting used to, the channels are across the top, the time is down the left side, opposite of about every other guide out there. I think I like it, there's a red line running across the middle for the current time and it pops out or highlights which show is currently airing on that channel. By default the channels are in alphabetical order, but you can mark channels as favorites and have those show up first (also in alphabetical order).

The picture took somewhere between 10-30 seconds to clear up after changing channels. During that time it looked like old standard definition TV. Once it cleared up, the picture looked great for the most part, though it did seem to struggle a little as the pace picked up in the games I was watching. There was one moment around 6:30 pm or so when the signal dropped for not more than 5-7 seconds and then we got the standard definition look for another 10 or 15 seconds.

My connection is currently a 25mbps download and I'm running on Time Warner's modem and a 5 year old Netgear router. My Playstation is connected wireless. Recent tests I've run with no streaming or any other internet use have resulted in:

25.36 mbps down/2.62 mbps up/10 ping (run at 12:07pm)
24.69 down/2.75 up/17 ping (run at 6:53pm)
24.75 down/2.58 up/16 ping (run at 8:54 pm)

Pretty consistent. I ran 4 tests in the 2ish hours I had it on last night:

5.66 down/2.68 up/43 ping (5:39 pm - yikes)
23.36 down/2.47 up/31 ping (5:43 pm)
20.89 down/2.44 up/17 ping (6:51 pm)
23.30 down/2.62 up/17 ping (7:46 pm)

The first one surprised me, which is why I ran it again shortly after. It seems to be a flyer but I'll keep checking throughout the weekend.

I spent about 10 minutes running another channel on my iPad. I didn't do any tests during that, but they both looked clear and I didn't notice any additional buffering or delays. There are some channels (Bravo, USA and a few others) that are not available on "mobile", so anyone interested with multiple TV's will need a Fire TV or another Playstation to have full access to all channels.

Overall, I would say I am pleasantly surprised with the picture and the UI so far. There's some awkwardness because it's different and because I'm using a Playstation controller to pull up the guide, change the channel, etc. If I see the same experience throughout the week I could see using this, though I'll have to sell my wife who already doesn't like it because the interaction is so different than what you get from cable or satellite TV, though if local channels were included I think she'd be on board. I may have to spreadsheet the costs if I continue to like it and see if hard dollars have some sway.
Thanks for that. If time permits, II will try when we are in our vacation house in Arizona with the DSL 2-3 Mbs. That would be the ultimate cheapskate cordcutting move--using DSL and watching SonyVUE. Our DSL runs $24/month in Arizona.

Update after a weekend of use.

Trying to switch between Vue and local channels (here represented by switching between Vue and my cable subscription) is a pain. Whenever there was a game on CBS I wanted to watch, I ended up just sticking with the cable feed because it was easier to flip to the other 3 games. Part of that is my setup, (my TV only has 2 HDMI inputs and I have more than 2 devices hooked up, my temporary solution was this switch, so I can't just change the TV input from my remote. I'd change that setup to make it a button push to change inputs instead of turning off the PS4 or getting up to hit the button on the switch), but part of that will be the fact that local channels will be on a different input than the rest.

I did run it for a good amount of time over the weekend though, with one or two streams going. It held up fairly well, though I did get some occasional pixelation.

Using speed test I consistently had 20-22 down/2.25-2.75 up with one or two streams going throughout the day.

The end result later this week is likely to be that we're not quite ready to cut the cord. If it were just me, I'd almost certainly do it. My wife is a harder sell because it's more complicated than a straight DVR box from your cable/satellite provider.

In the end, it's just not quite easy enough yet. Vue doesn't integrate with local channels (or though OTA DVR's like Sling TV does with ChannelMaster DVR+). Vue doesn't play with Roku or Apple TV. Sling doesn't have all the channels we'd want or more than one stream. The best OTA DVR's don't play natively with Playstation (Tablo) and/or require a subscription or large upfront cost for a "Lifetime" subscription (Tablo and TiVo).

I'm going to spreadsheet the numbers and see where the total cost of ownership over several years comes out, since Vue would require some upfront hardware costs to set it up how we'd like, but I think we're likely to see how Vue and Sling evolve over the next year or so before making the jump.

Reactions: jonRU09 and jay_hq
Just DVR it.

I set the DVR and typically do the house/yard work that wifey is constantly bugging me about in the spring/fall.

I figure I've got a good 1.5 hours to put in solid work.

Then I shower, grab a beer, and park myself in front of the TV.

By the time I'm "caught-up" to the live action, it's usually the 4th quarter.

2 bonuses:
  1. If the game sucks -- like we're down 40 -- I didn't invest too much time in it. You can even just skip through most of the rest of the action.
  2. Your chores are done.
This is exactly what we (my wife and I) have done the last 5 years. The only time we watch a game live is when RU and her team (UGA) play at the same time. We then alternate games. Start off watching one game until each team had a possession and switch at the commercial break and watch game 2 from the opening kick-off. Watch this game until it is past the first game and switch at the next commercial. We'll end up being done with both games about an hour after the games end without the "spoilers" of watching highlights / the score feed. The only thing we "miss" is the commercials and the studio shows, which add nothing to the viewing experience.

Update after a weekend of use.

Trying to switch between Vue and local channels (here represented by switching between Vue and my cable subscription) is a pain. Whenever there was a game on CBS I wanted to watch, I ended up just sticking with the cable feed because it was easier to flip to the other 3 games. Part of that is my setup, (my TV only has 2 HDMI inputs and I have more than 2 devices hooked up, my temporary solution was this switch, so I can't just change the TV input from my remote. I'd change that setup to make it a button push to change inputs instead of turning off the PS4 or getting up to hit the button on the switch), but part of that will be the fact that local channels will be on a different input than the rest.

I did run it for a good amount of time over the weekend though, with one or two streams going. It held up fairly well, though I did get some occasional pixelation.

Using speed test I consistently had 20-22 down/2.25-2.75 up with one or two streams going throughout the day.

The end result later this week is likely to be that we're not quite ready to cut the cord. If it were just me, I'd almost certainly do it. My wife is a harder sell because it's more complicated than a straight DVR box from your cable/satellite provider.

In the end, it's just not quite easy enough yet. Vue doesn't integrate with local channels (or though OTA DVR's like Sling TV does with ChannelMaster DVR+). Vue doesn't play with Roku or Apple TV. Sling doesn't have all the channels we'd want or more than one stream. The best OTA DVR's don't play natively with Playstation (Tablo) and/or require a subscription or large upfront cost for a "Lifetime" subscription (Tablo and TiVo).

I'm going to spreadsheet the numbers and see where the total cost of ownership over several years comes out, since Vue would require some upfront hardware costs to set it up how we'd like, but I think we're likely to see how Vue and Sling evolve over the next year or so before making the jump.
I take it you live outside 1 of those 7 markets with local channels thru Vue? Doesn't Vue have cloud DVR? You can get an a/v receiver with more HDMI inputs to help with your switching issue.

I take it you live outside 1 of those 7 markets with local channels thru Vue? Doesn't Vue have cloud DVR? You can get an a/v receiver with more HDMI inputs to help with your switching issue.
Yes, I live in Columbus, so no live local channels and no CBS whatsoever in our package. ABC, NBC and Fox have OnDemand channels however.

Vue has a Cloud DVR, and the episodes for the shows would show up OnDemand 24 or 48 or however many hours after they air. However, the Vue DVR only saves shows for 28 days and sometimes my wife does not get to her shows, especially things like the Amazing Race or So You Think You Can Dance or whatever, within that time. And it wouldn't be helpful for any sports on local channels either.

Yeah, I was thinking of that or running it all through Fire TV so Fire TV would be HDMI 1, everything else would be HDMI 2 and local channels would be antenna. Then we'd mostly be switching between HDMI 1 and antenna unless I wanted to play games on the PS4. We also have a WDTV with a hard drive full of movies hooked up that I want to move to a Plex server, so that would eliminate one of the HDMI hookups I have right now as well.

Reactions: Leonard23
Thanks for that. If time permits, II will try when we are in our vacation house in Arizona with the DSL 2-3 Mbs. That would be the ultimate cheapskate cordcutting move--using DSL and watching SonyVUE. Our DSL runs $24/month in Arizona.

Interested to see how this works out for you, I'm stuck with comcast cable because it's the only option I have to watch CSN-Philly but it seems Playstation Vue has the channel. I'd potentially switch over to comcast internet to get faster speeds but interested to see how it would work with my 7Mbs DSL

Interested to see how this works out for you, I'm stuck with comcast cable because it's the only option I have to watch CSN-Philly but it seems Playstation Vue has the channel. I'd potentially switch over to comcast internet to get faster speeds but interested to see how it would work with my 7Mbs DSL
Thanks for the reminder! We will be out there tomorrow but we rarely watch TV when we are in Arizona, especially this time of year when the weather is spectacular. I will try to remember to give this a shot, as we do watch a lot of TV in December.

Bumping this due to new streaming news today. VIDGO is really turning into the leader of the type of television that will be the future and the type that millennials are looking for. They haven't announced specifics yet, but are pursuing with the impression of being the first streaming service to let viewers pick out their own channel line up. They also are offering NFL network and MLB network, which is hopefully a sign that sports networks are willing to listen and be a part of the movement.

http://www.cutcabletoday.com/what-is-vidgo/

Bumping this due to new streaming news today. VIDGO is really turning into the leader of the type of television that will be the future and the type that millennials are looking for. They haven't announced specifics yet, but are pursuing with the impression of being the first streaming service to let viewers pick out their own channel line up. They also are offering NFL network and MLB network, which is hopefully a sign that sports networks are willing to listen and be a part of the movement.

Sounds like a slam dunk if you'll also be able to get BTN. Make that a 360, windmill slam.

How can they be a leader of the future of tv when they haven't even launched a product yet & we haven't seen pricing?
I wouldn't call this cordcutting, but not going to be that guy. For the Apple folks, Sling TV is coming to Apple TV 4.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/06/14/sling-tv-hits-apple-tv-with-a-new-interface-more-channels/

Paying less than $50 for Basic Cable plus Sports, so don't really see this as a better option.
It's cordcutting but expensive so you don't see the huge cost savings you see when people steal it through Kodi. What do you use?

I've had Vue for over a month & it sucks. Slow & drops all the time. Says my internet is down but my computer says it isnt

How can they be a leader of the future of tv when they haven't even launched a product yet & we haven't seen pricing?

I'm sorry have you heard anything like this from any other streaming provider? That answer is NO. It is currently in consumer beta testing which means there is a product and it is live.

Prices will be competitive which means it will be between the range of the current market, Sling TV is $20 - Vue is $45

The point of this is so people can realize sports are joining the streaming providers and it is starting with NFL network and MLB network becoming available on VIDGO for the 1st time. This has a huge potential to have a domino effect and can be what cordcutters and future cordcutters have wanted for live sports.

I'm sorry have you heard anything like this from any other streaming provider? That answer is NO. It is currently in consumer beta testing which means there is a product and it is live.

Prices will be competitive which means it will be between the range of the current market, Sling TV is $20 - Vue is $45

The point of this is so people can realize sports are joining the streaming providers and it is starting with NFL network and MLB network becoming available on VIDGO for the 1st time. This has a huge potential to have a domino effect and can be what cordcutters and future cordcutters have wanted for live sports.

Leonard was right to be skeptical. It sounds great, and thanks for the link, but I'll believe it when it's available. They haven't even released pricing yet, so how can you be excited? Also, the article author doesn't have a clue what 'building your own packages' actually means but does seem more confident that Vidgo will be offered in three tiers. So it'll probably be in the same price range as the other services discussed here. In fact, "most comprehensive content at the most affordable prices possible" sounds a lot like "more channels, more price."

Hard to get excited about MLB and NFL networks, two of the most useless channels in sports, especially given that the MLB is a streaming pioneer and has been available in various capacities for over a decade. ESPN is available through Sling TV. Nothing so groundbreaking here ... yet.

Believe it when you see it.

Reactions: Leonard23

Hyperbole much? They have no product launched so we have no idea what "this" is. To me, it sounds like Vue, yet some blogger dreams it will be true a la carte, which I doubt. Vue has had local channels in certain markets since launch. NFLN & MLBN are the key differentiators that make this revolutionary to you? They're pretty weak channels, especially since Thursday night NFL games are available on a broadcast network & most of those games have been pretty lackluster.
I've had Vue for over a month & it sucks. Slow & drops all the time. Says my internet is down but my computer says it isnt
Where & who is your internet provider & what speeds do you get, as bad internet has been mentioned online as a problem?
Leonard was right to be skeptical. It sounds great, and thanks for the link, but I'll believe it when it's available. They haven't even released pricing yet, so how can you be excited? Also, the article author doesn't have a clue what 'building your own packages' actually means but does seem more confident that Vidgo will be offered in three tiers. So it'll probably be in the same price range as the other services discussed here. In fact, "most comprehensive content at the most affordable prices possible" sounds a lot like "more channels, more price."

Hard to get excited about MLB and NFL networks, two of the most useless channels in sports, especially given that the MLB is a streaming pioneer and has been available in various capacities for over a decade. ESPN is available through Sling TV. Nothing so groundbreaking here ... yet.

Believe it when you see it.
I agree with this.

You guys dont understand the big picture at all. Really pointless explaining again this is about the domino effect and compitition it will bring. More than about the article too.

You guys dont understand the big picture at all. Really pointless explaining again this is about the domino effect and compitition it will bring. More than about the article too.

So, do you get paid up front ... or just in stock options? My guess is the latter.

Way to keep digging. I understand the big picture perfectly. Vue is the best streaming service (content, functionality & features) but costs are higher than people want & it still isn't a la carte. Vue has had some regional sports networks like YES & Comcast Sports Net & pretty much all of the national sports channels like BTN, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, FS1, FS2, 3 different FCS, beIN, SECN & GolfC. Sling has very few of these but has a sports package with ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Buzzer Beater & ESPN Goal Line. NFLN & MLBN are the catalysts for massive change in your opinion? I think you've significantly overvalued those 2 networks as you can get the Thurs night NFLN games on broadcast (& twitter) & MLB out of market games are available online, on roku, iOS Android, PS, XBOX & possibly other streaming boxes for a fee, just like NFL Sunday Ticket.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT