ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jersey Cyclone Brewery opening in Somerset May 4 - Ribbon Cutting 12 noon

BBC ain't gonna just get rid of Dogfish Head. Sam's on the board for ten years and one of the big points of doing this is that Dogfish Head has a better beer reputation than Sam Adams.

I agree. Dogfish Head 90 and 120 are splendid IPA's IMO. And 60 is a damn good value for a 6 pack under $10.

I still like a cold heinie too, when an IPA is just a too bit heavy, usually for me on a hot day on my deck, blasting some music.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Koch is like 70. Sam Calgiome is i think 49. Yes there is a CEO but once Koch retires or dies Sam can be that brand ambassador for Boston beer. How many beer founders can you name? All beer enthusiasts know Sam. Plus you’ll now see all those rare dogfish brands more. American beauty, world wide stout, bitches brew etc. plus national distribution for their staples.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Jersey Cyclone? You'd think they could come up with a better name. In this area, "Cyclone" means Coney Island.. Brooklyn. Nothing "Jersey" about it.

I like to give Jersey products a chance so I will try it.

Reactions: Jm0513
Stop the fight, why?

Some great points about the craft beer industry by posters in this thread. Never too old to learn about new topics in life.
It’s great to watch the sweet science battled out between reasonably matched opponents, not so much a consistent battering round after round.

Last edited:
So I got to check it out on Saturday. Btw, if you're in the area check out Taphouse Twenty/20 it's a pretty good place that also just opened.

Anyways. The taproom is very nice. Good set up and a decent amount of room (my daughter was enjoying the room she was dancing like a crazy person). Beer is pretty good. I give each new brewery a year to work out the kinks. But had a few and didn't notice any brewing flaws which is nice. Really just have to dial in flavors and improve on that but for their first few weeks it's a good product. Service could be better too. I don't know if anyone there had bartending experience because for being such a big bar area they kind of clumped themselves around the same area. Other than that, I recommend checking it out if you're in the area. It's not a brewery to seek out just yet, but it fills a need for the area and it's already better than what Demented was when it first opened.

The name though, lol. They couldn't even really explain it lol.

So I got to check it out on Saturday. Btw, if you're in the area check out Taphouse Twenty/20 it's a pretty good place that also just opened.

Anyways. The taproom is very nice. Good set up and a decent amount of room (my daughter was enjoying the room she was dancing like a crazy person). Beer is pretty good. I give each new brewery a year to work out the kinks. But had a few and didn't notice any brewing flaws which is nice. Really just have to dial in flavors and improve on that but for their first few weeks it's a good product. Service could be better too. I don't know if anyone there had bartending experience because for being such a big bar area they kind of clumped themselves around the same area. Other than that, I recommend checking it out if you're in the area. It's not a brewery to seek out just yet, but it fills a need for the area and it's already better than what Demented was when it first opened.

The name though, lol. They couldn't even really explain it lol.
I don't understand how a new place, like Twenty/20, doesn't have their menu and tap list on social media. No tap list on their website is a big fail too.

Last edited:
I don't understand how a new place, like Twenty/20, doesn't have their menu and tap list on social media. No tap list on their website is a big fail too.

Yes I'm not a fan of that either. It's not on beermenus or anything.

It is a pretty good tap list though. Cape May, Kane, Carton, 7 Mile, Jersey Girl, Melovino, etc.

Reactions: Leonard23
Tap looked nice when I drove by the other day. How was the food if you had any?

Tap looked nice when I drove by the other day. How was the food if you had any?

I had the open face meatloaf which was pretty decent, mac and cheese side it came with was great. Wife had a pear and arugula flatbread that was pretty good. I need to sample more of the menu but it's good enough when the main draw is the taplist. Nothing wowed me but nothing was bad. Prices for apps are a little high, strange since the entree prices were actually reasonable.

Reactions: Zak57
All craft brewers owe a debt to breweries like Sierra Nevada and Boston Beer Co.
They helped to pave the way for the beer scene that exists today. And they are still craft brewers themselves, but of course their large production volumes mean that they left the "micro" world behind long ago. I refer to these as "bridge beers". They help bridge the gap between mass-market beer and the micro and nano brewery's products. They have helped convert many a beer lover from Bud to Sam Adams, to Dogfish Head, and so on.

Reactions: RUaMoose
All craft brewers owe a debt to breweries like Sierra Nevada and Boston Beer Co.
They helped to pave the way for the beer scene that exists today. And they are still craft brewers themselves, but of course their large production volumes mean that they left the "micro" world behind long ago. I refer to these as "bridge beers". They help bridge the gap between mass-market beer and the micro and nano brewery's products. They have helped convert many a beer lover from Bud to Sam Adams, to Dogfish Head, and so on.

I call them gateway beers.

Breweries per capita yes but I'd like to see numbers on breweries per capita per distance. We have a high population but are also so small people don't have to drive to far for their favorites.

I live near Somerset though so I'm excited for this and hope it's good. We only have Flounder, Lone Eagle, Troon, and Conclave within 30 minutes of me which I know of. River Horse slightly further.
You now have Village in Somerville. High Rail in High Bridge is opening soon. Sunken Silo in Annandale opening in near future (same building as Metropolitan Seafood on 22)

Patrons can bring in their own food to accompany an IPA or Milk Porter in a 6 oz., 10.5 oz., 16 oz., or 64 oz. growler.

Don't know about others but I like that they'll have multiple serving sizes/pours for their staple beers as opposed to just 10oz goblet-style for high ABV ones. 6oz is almost as small as flight-size pours (I think most places these days tend to have the 4oz or 5oz glassware) which I sometimes find too small.

While I used to not go for flights as much, these days unless I'm settling in for a reasonably long session (say an hour or more, which is rare for me given time constraints), I also don't like having to go all in on a full pint either. After about two pints, my bladder just can't keep up the way it used to.

It's why I've long been a big fan of half-pints which seem to be fairly ubiquitous in regular pubs in England. I hope more breweries and brewpubs stateside would consider this, though I understand glassware costs can be an issue for moving in that direction.

Last edited:
You now have Village in Somerville. High Rail in High Bridge is opening soon. Sunken Silo in Annandale opening in near future (same building as Metropolitan Seafood on 22)
And Chilton in Long Valley is now open.

And yet some on here think it's a good time to get in the brewery business. [eyeroll]

The larger craft companies are having the most trouble it seems. Being gobbled up by an ever growing army of entrants from below.

All craft beer is being impacted but I can name a lot more new ones in serious trouble.
What's the reason? Too many craft breweries? General decline in beer consumption? Craft beer drinkers focused on trying a beer once and then moving on to the next one once? Too many craft brewers focusing 85% of their efforts trying to satisfy the 15% of the market that prefers hoppy IPAs?

What's the reason? Too many craft breweries? General decline in beer consumption? Craft beer drinkers focused on trying a beer once and then moving on to the next one once? Too many craft brewers focusing 85% of their efforts trying to satisfy the 15% of the market that prefers hoppy IPAs?
Beer consumption is slightly down but craft beer is holding steady. It is the growth of craft beer breweries too many.
Malt beverages are keeping the Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams) . Twisted Tea for years and now White Claw spiked seltzer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT