Missouri at No. 24 Kentucky | 7:30 p.m. | SEC Network
No. 18 UCLA at No. 15 Oregon State | 8 p.m. | FOX
NC State at No. 17 Duke | 8 p.m. | ACC Network
UAB at UTSA | 8 p.m. | ESPNU
Boise State at Colorado State | 9:45 p.m. | FS1
Montana at Idaho | 10:30 p.m. | ESPN2
San Diego State at Hawai'i | 11 p.m. | CBSSN

Tonight
SMU at ECU not on my list.(ECU isn't a very attrative G-5 program and it's HC has lost a lot of his luster . Making watching that program just to see if he's a good bet to move up not a valid reason to be watching the game. Seeing the future ACC SMU might be worth a peek)
West Virginia at Houston | 7 p.m. | FS1
might be a good one to see ( my old friend WV Airman is a good reason to root for the Mountaineers)

Friday, Oct. 13

Tulane at Memphis | 7 p.m. | ESPN
( for some unknown reason I root for Memphis and Tulane seems to be the G-5 flavor of the year)
Fresno State at Utah State | 8 p.m. | CBSSN
(Fresno St Utah St might have caught my interest, but Fresno losing to Wyoming last week, made this game not a must see one into a might see)
Stanford at Colorado | 10 p.m. | ESPN
( must see Friday night TV)
The Buff's HC has made that program a must see. Like him or dislike Coach Sanders he did make Colorado a program every one knows their name

Tonight
SMU at ECU not on my list.(ECU isn't a very attrative G-5 program and it's HC has lost a lot of his luster . Making watching that program just to see if he's a good bet to move up not a valid reason to be watching the game. Seeing the future ACC SMU might be worth a peek)
West Virginia at Houston | 7 p.m. | FS1
might be a good one to see ( my old friend WV Airman is a good reason to root for the Mountaineers)

Friday, Oct. 13

Tulane at Memphis | 7 p.m. | ESPN
( for some unknown reason I root for Memphis and Tulane seems to be the G-5 flavor of the year)
Fresno State at Utah State | 8 p.m. | CBSSN
(Fresno St Utah St might have caught my interest, but Fresno losing to Wyoming last week, made this game not a must see one into a might see)
Stanford at Colorado | 10 p.m. | ESPN
( must see Friday night TV)
The Buff's HC has made that program a must see. Like him or dislike Coach Sanders he did make Colorado a program every one knows their name
Deions was actually complaining about the PAC game times and was like thank goodness we’re leaving this conference. I suppose there might be some improvement in the B12 but I figure they will still have a decent number of night games there too.

WVU flea flicker to take a 17-14 lead on Houston. I think Neal Brown has taken over playcalling this year. I think his seat has cooled down for now at 4-1.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Houston fumble recovery overturned on forward progress but they get a deflected INT a little later in the endzone.

Edit: Houston converts the INT to a TD
21-17 Houston

WVU TD. Inconsistent enforcement of forward progress near the endzone vs the earlier non-fumble. 24-21 WVU

Last edited:
Good pass from Smith for the TD. Houston has some breathing room now. Started out like 5/11 but since 13/13 in passing.

35-24 Houston

WVU TD and 2pt, down 35-32 to Houston now.

Last edited:
I’d try a draw or something with Smith but they got the PI on 3rd and 5. Call worked out for Houston.

OMG and Houston says anything you can do I can do better lol. 50yd Hail Mary tipped and caught for the TD.

41-39 Houston

Just when you thought one team was gutted, the other returns the favor.

SMU 31-10. To be fair the game was a lot closer. SMU broke it open in the 4th.
East Carolina falls to 1-5.

Last edited:
82fvo2.jpg

Didn’t see the highlight of the WVU TD with 12 secs left from the reporters I follow. Found a clip of both last minute TDs for those who didn’t see it.

Look here, if we are going to be co-ADs some day of no-name University, we have to be aligned on ALL THINGS. You read The Athletic. I think it's time for a throw down where we yell at and insult each other. 😂

It's all good- I guess it's a matter of perspective. WVU TD was scored with 12 seconds left and then the Houston TD.

And here's a lesson in shit posting that goes into game threads, etc: -- I was about to post a pic of Holgorsen's face when WVU scored the TD, and a rant about how his seat must be getting hot in Houston. And while I should know better (and I'm sure you do), I forgot that Holgorsen played WR at Iowa Wesleyan when Leach was the OC. I knew Holgorsen was a nut in the Leach tree, but I forgot he actually played for him.

Here's what my morning e-mail from The Athletic had:

Two TDs in the final 12 seconds
Last night, West Virginia thought they’d won the Dana Holgorsen Bowl with this long touchdown pass as just 12 seconds remained. Holgorsen, who left the Mountaineers to coach Houston in 2019, looked defeated.

Look here, if we are going to be co-ADs some day of no-name University, we have to be aligned on ALL THINGS. You read The Athletic. I think it's time for a throw down where we yell at and insult each other. 😂

It's all good- I guess it's a matter of perspective. WVU TD was scored with 12 seconds left and then the Houston TD.

And here's a lesson in shit posting that goes into game threads, etc: -- I was about to post a pic of Holgorsen's face when WVU scored the TD, and a rant about how his seat must be getting hot in Houston. And while I should know better (and I'm sure you do), I forgot that Holgorsen played WR at Iowa Wesleyan when Leach was the OC. I knew Holgorsen was a nut in the Leach tree, but I forgot he actually played for him.

Here's what my morning e-mail from The Athletic had:

Two TDs in the final 12 seconds
Last night, West Virginia thought they’d won the Dana Holgorsen Bowl with this long touchdown pass as just 12 seconds remained. Holgorsen, who left the Mountaineers to coach Houston in 2019, looked defeated.
I didn't think WVU was going to come back after going down 2 scores because of the back and forth nature of the game at that point but then they did. I thought Houston was done after WVU scored and then they got the Hail Mary lol.

I'm not sure if Holgorsen will get fired this year if he doesn't do so well. I think his seat will get warm but maybe not a firing. He's got a decent chunk of change coming to him if he's let go, maybe mid double digits iirc.

Big UW/Oregon game tomorrow. Good story on Penix and his receiving core. Illustration of how NIL isn't solely behind every transfer you see or keeping players on board. Fit and match matter too and the NIL stuff can come after when the players shine. Penix was set on leaving to the NFL after last year because of his injury plagued career but decided to come back even before he got NIL deals in place and it's paid off for him because he has shined in the offense.

From the article:

The production from Rome Odunze, Jalen McMillan and Ja'Lynn Polk wasn't eye-popping in 2021, but Grubb saw their potential.

There was just one problem.

"Rome, J-Mac and J.P. all were in the transfer portal or talking about transferring basically in the first week I was here," Grubb said. "It's just me and Kalen. Nobody else is here yet [on the offensive staff]. So, my first 10 days, all I did was watch film with those three guys and try to convince them on the reasons to stay."

The pitch boiled down to this: DeBoer and Grubb had been successful everywhere they had been. Several receivers had put up big numbers in their offense and they had a vision for how to use all three to maximize their potential in different ways. Grubb showed them film of the offense from previous stops and how each player would fit in.

At around the same time, quarterback Michael Penix Jr. finalized his own transfer decision. After four years at Indiana, each of which ended prematurely due to injury, it was time for a fresh start. For Washington, which was in the market for a veteran quarterback, the stars were aligning.

"I had a lot of people calling me, a lot of people [direct messaging] me and stuff like that about transferring," Penix said. "But I never answered. Once I heard from DeBoer, I knew where I wanted to be."

"I knew I had the opportunity to be a part of it again, and I knew that just with another opportunity, we can do something great."

To some degree, Penix's understanding that he could make some money through name, image and likeness rules factored into the decision, but that was only part of it.

"This is one thing I love telling people, I think it's the epitome of Mike, which is very different from -- and not a lot of people would say this or report it or even admit it -- but Mike made his decision prior to having any NIL deals in place," Grubb said. "I just think that's such a critical point of who Mike is that he wanted to be here and had enough trust in what was going to happen here. The reality was we knew something would happen [with NIL], but there were no contracts in place or 'this is what it's going to be' or anything like that."

Last week, Penix and Odunze became the first college football players to sign NIL deals with Adidas and will participate in brand marketing campaigns, the company announced. Penix also has deals with Beats by Dre, trading card company Panini America and local apparel company Simply Seattle....

Latest defensive stop rates through last week.

These are kind of dumb, and I don't begrudge or belittle our stop rate. I had posted a thread that was too nerdy for stat heads that makes adjustments for strength of opponent.

There is not a separate category for defense, but under the DF+ column, RU seems to be a around #31 at 0.73:

These are kind of dumb, and I don't begrudge or belittle our stop rate. I had posted a thread that was too nerdy for stat heads that makes adjustments for strength of opponent.

There is not a separate category for defense, but under the DF+ column, RU seems to be a around #31 at 0.73:

I think best not to rely on this one stat or another but if you see a few, you get a better picture of what reality might be, especially as the season moves on. We’re at the half way point or beyond for most teams.

The Houston -WV game was a thriller , thought it was in the bag for the Mountaineers, but the Cougars made the most of the last 3 seconds and Hail Mary saved them.

FYI a few games.. especially the very early Temple at North Texas, will see parts of tomorrow's solar eclipse. Partial in most of college football.. but a path from south Texas toward Oregon will see total.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT