ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA College Football Games Thread 10/12-10/14 Thurs-Sat

Can't remember a weekend with so many crazy comebacks and finishes?

Houston WVU
Rutgers Michigan State
Colorado State Boise State
Can we throw in Illinois and Maryland - with Illinois winning on field goal at end?

What else?
Stanford Colorado 29-0, all the comebacks were listed in one of the tweets.

That CSU play was good one. Often its the tip up that gets caught but the ball was knocked down like it should be but the CSU player was quick and alert enough to get it on the way down.

Retweeted Feldman report from earlier in the year. Let see just how “rich” A&M really is. I think it’s 77M to buyout Fisher. The highest buyout ever to date was Malzahn at Auburn for just over 20M.

Retweeted Feldman report from earlier in the year. Let see just how “rich” A&M really is. I think it’s 77M to buyout Fisher. The highest buyout ever to date was Malzahn at Auburn for just over 20M.

Jimbo is going all out to earn his $76 million buyout
google search found
>Fisher has a $76.8 million buyout in his contract if he's fired in-season during the 2023 campaign.<

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Jimbo is going all out to earn his $76 million buyout
google search found
>Fisher has a $76.8 million buyout in his contract if he's fired in-season during the 2023 campaign.<
It’s not likely it’s all a lump sum. Some or all might be pro rated over the life of the contract but it’s still a tidy sum.

Occasionally, the contracts have some portion as a lump sum. I don’t know if that’s the case here or not.

UCLA's ranking is a joke. Lost to every ranked team they played (WSU no longer ranked), and beat Coastal Carolina, San Diego State and NC Central. Not a very impressive resume.
Well when you say someone shouldn’t be ranked or is ranked too high then you have to look at the alternatives and see is someone else worthy of being ranked above them.

JMU is undefeated. I don’t know who they’ve played.

These were the others receiving votes.

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES:​

James Madison 70, Clemson 35, Florida 12, Washington St. 11, Fresno St. 6, Liberty 5, Kentucky 4, Wyoming 4, Kansas 2, West Virginia 1, Oklahoma St. 1, Miami

James Madison, shame it's not bowl eligible because of an idiotic NCAA rule that doesn't allow bowl appearances the first two years a program move up to FBS from a FCS level

Well when you say someone shouldn’t be ranked or is ranked too high then you have to look at the alternatives and see is someone else worthy of being ranked above them.

JMU is undefeated. I don’t know who they’ve played.

These were the others receiving votes.

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES:​

James Madison 70, Clemson 35, Florida 12, Washington St. 11, Fresno St. 6, Liberty 5, Kentucky 4, Wyoming 4, Kansas 2, West Virginia 1, Oklahoma St. 1, Miami
IDK- Kentucky?

Kinda ridiculous that Georgia is still ranked #1.
Well they’re the back to back national champs so until proven otherwise they will likely always get benefit of the doubt and be seen with rose colored glasses. Plus when a hot Kentucky coming off a dismantling of UF came in, they took them to the woodshed. They have slept walked at times this year but haven’t lost yet.

Arizona having a soild season so far. Close losses to both Wash/USC. Their dollar package has been effective at times. Fufita doing a good job and I think may be better than De Laura. I wonder if they keep him in even when Del Laura gets healthy. Oregon St should be a big test coming up. Don't think dollar packages will help against them lol.

From the article:

Counting scholarship players and walk-ons, just 21 of the 110 players (19%) on this season’s Arizona roster were a part of Fisch’s inaugural season two years ago.

In addition to playing underclassmen in the second half of the 2022 season to give game experience to rising young talent, Fisch and his staff used Arizona’s high-powered offense as a recruiting tool for defensive players. It’s easier to fish players out of the transfer portal when they know games at their respective program won’t be Big Ten-esque, low-scoring slugfests.

“We felt if we didn’t get good on offense, we were never going to be able to recruit defense,” Fisch said. “No one was going to want to come to a team that couldn’t score.

“For us, it was a matter of saying, ‘OK, now that the offense is in a good place, what can we do defensively?’ Fisch added. “In that case, what we did was we committed to both the portal and playing young.”

Twenty-one of the 33 scholarship newcomers Arizona signed in 2023 — that includes seven from the transfer portal — are defensive prospects; all of the transfer portal additions are front-six defenders.

Between Arizona’s transfer portal additions in Upshaw (Michigan), Norton (Georgia), Manoa (UCLA), Nofoagatoto’a (Indiana) and Patu (Cal), the Wildcats added 1,485 extra pounds to its defensive front; 297 pounds per player.

“We’re big up front, man,” Nansen said. “We’re big and guys can get to the quarterback.”

Iowa is rewriting the book on how to win. Brian Ferentz' seat is ice cold. 😂
That's the other joke I see going around sports media. That whole drive to 325 (points) will be rendered meaningless because they won't sniff it then go 11-1 and everyone will get new contracts including BF lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
And to the chagrin of Rutgers fans, are Greg and Kirk taking copious notes? 🤔
As long as we win, I don't care if it is 2-0 or 3-0, versus losing 45-42.
Not a fan of it, especially the lower down the status totem pole you are because I don't think it can lead to consistent winning. It has for Iowa but they're also higher up the status pole and they're helped by their schedule.

PSU is the only team with an "okay" offense (good in scoring though) that they played this year and they got killed 31-0. They got slaughtered the other year in the B10 title game by Michigan. With some of these west coast teams coming in, Iowa might not get those favorable schedules of not seeing productive offenses for most of the year.

You're right winning however you can is fine but imo one way of playing has higher probability of winning than another, specifically when you're down the status totem pole.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not a fan of it, especially the lower down the status totem pole you are because I don't think it can lead to consistent winning. It has for Iowa but they're also higher up the status pole and they're helped by their schedule.

PSU is the only team with an "okay" offense (good in scoring though) that they played this year and they got killed 31-0. They got slaughtered the other year in the B10 title game by Michigan. With some of these west coast teams coming in, Iowa might not get those favorable schedules of not seeing productive offenses for most of the year.

You're right winning however you can is fine but imo one way of playing has higher probability of winning than another, specifically when you're down the status totem pole.
You bring up a good point about PSU. Franklin has been proactively apologetic about their lack of chunk plays. Interesting that Ohio State and Penn State respectively only have 101 and 102 points in 6 games (less than 17 points per game)--Iowa has 61 (and 60 of those are on defense!!!!). And that includes PSU's 63 points against UMass. They distribute the ball across 4 RB, with none getting 100 yds. 39 yard run was their big play. Receiving play long was 30 yards. 🤷‍♂️

The B1G is not offensive!

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Don't get the feeling, he'll change that much. Maybe a little around the edges but I still get the impression of overly aggressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT