ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA College Football Games Thread 11/21-11/25 Tues-Sat

Would our fan base still be unhappy with going 10-2, but only averaging about 17 points a game?
I believe that if that happened you would still have the ultra anti-GS group that would complain that it's boring football.

88a67eb7bc87ac6aac8cb7112a6bcf52.jpg

I believe that if that happened you would still have the ultra anti-GS group that would complain that it's boring football.

88a67eb7bc87ac6aac8cb7112a6bcf52.jpg
Loaded question, depends on the context
Iowa generally doesn't win 10 games per year
Neither do we

So no, we would be ecstatic, and worry about fixing the O next year

With the B1G eliminating divisions and the new additions to the league coming in next year, averaging 17 points per game moving forward is not a recipe for 10 wins consistently

Also, if they played our schedule, they'd have 3-4 losses

Besides us and Wiscy, the one team Iowa played this year with a pulse (Nitts), they were shut out and weren't competitive on national tv

Congrats to them as winning 10 is never easy. But if they don't fix that offense, get used to 6-8 wins consistently

Loaded question, depends on the context
Iowa generally doesn't win 10 games per year
Neither do we

So no, we would be ecstatic, and worry about fixing the O next year

With the B1G eliminating divisions and the new additions to the league coming in next year, averaging 17 points per game moving forward is not a recipe for 10 wins consistently

Also, if they played our schedule, they'd have 3-4 losses

Besides us and Wiscy, the one team Iowa played this year with a pulse (Nitts), they were shut out and weren't competitive on national tv

Congrats to them as winning 10 is never easy. But if they don't fix that offense, get used to 6-8 wins consistently
They won 10 but the coach's son is fired and they need a new OC. So it's not as if they don't know it's a problem. I posted the stat above they're just over .500 in the last couple years scoring less than 20 while the rest of FBS is like at 15%, it's not a winning formula in general. They're a unicorn that benefits from a very offensively challenged division which is now disappearing. They do get the benefit of keeping 3 rivalry games though with Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin.

Reactions: cicero grimes
They won 10 but the coach's son is fired and they need a new OC. So it's not as if they don't know it's a problem. I posted the stat above they're just over .500 in the last couple years scoring less than 20 while the rest of FBS is like at 15%, it's not a winning formula in general. They're a unicorn that benefits from a very offensively challenged division which is now disappearing. They do get the benefit of keeping 3 rivalry games though with Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin.
They're proactively trying to something about the offense, which I give them credit for. They're at a disadvantage b/c instate recruiting isn't strong and there's not a ton of playmakers out there

But 10 wins is 10 wins, no matter how you slice it. Good for them as it's a hard nosed program we should try to model ourselves after (not offensively, but tradition, winning and defense)

Reactions: cicero grimes
They're proactively trying to something about the offense, which I give them credit for. They're at a disadvantage b/c instate recruiting isn't strong and there's not a ton of playmakers out there

But 10 wins is 10 wins, no matter how you slice it. Good for them as it's a hard nosed program we should try to model ourselves after (not offensively, but tradition, winning and defense)
Of course, amassing wins is the goal regardless of method but I always say which avenue is the one with the most potential. Iowa is a unicorn essentially imo so it’s not something that can really be replicated for the most part in terms of success. Iowa isn’t too far down the college status totem pole either.

OTOH, I’ve seen many teams outperform their status on the landscape when their offenses are very productive. Look at Louisville and Mizzou this year up near the top 10. It’s because their offenses took nice leaps this year while their defense stayed about the same. Productive offense with at least a mediocre defense and you have chance to make noise. TCU was the same last year. Anything can work but imo it’s about which avenue offers the most potential for success.

New Rhules didn't help Nebraska today!
Well to be fair at Temple & Baylor season 1 was bad. Nebraska was void of talent, like Rutgers was in Greg’s first season here.
To have a chance to go bowling in his first season shows Nebraska fans hope. I expect him making big changes to the roster this offseason. They have good NIL, NU will be a better team going forward.

Of course, amassing wins is the goal regardless of method but I always say which avenue is the one with the most potential. Iowa is a unicorn essentially imo so it’s not something that can really be replicated for the most part in terms of success. Iowa isn’t too far down the college status totem pole either.

OTOH, I’ve seen many teams outperform their status on the landscape when their offenses are very productive. Look at Louisville and Mizzou this year up near the top 10. It’s because their offenses took nice leaps this year while their defense stayed about the same. Productive offense with at least a mediocre defense and you have chance to make noise. TCU was the same last year. Anything can work but imo it’s about which avenue offers the most potential for success.
I definitely agree and good points
In regard to Iowa and TCU, sustained success will be tough for both of them, but for different reasons

It's why I admire programs who have sustained success - b/c it's so difficult to reach the point of success, and even more difficult to sustain it for an extended period of time

I hope Iowa slaps the snot out of the B1G East champ.

I definitely agree and good points
In regard to Iowa and TCU, sustained success will be tough for both of them, but for different reasons

It's why I admire programs who have sustained success - b/c it's so difficult to reach the point of success, and even more difficult to sustain it for an extended period of time
Sustaining success at a high level is hard for most programs but especially ones down the totem pole. It's what makes Saban so good regardless of him being at Alabama. I wouldn't assume another coach at Alabama would do what he's done. Losing staff and players etc..and keeping it rolling at a very high level isn't a given regardless of which school you're at...people may think that but I don't think it's so simple. He just makes it look simple lol.

If you're further down the totem pole getting your year in the sun like TCU last year or Mizzou Louisville this year (which would mean playoffs in the future) and then probably drop down to mediocre-ish levels other years is a reasonable expectation. What Whittingham has done at Utah is probably the pinnacle of what a school down the totem pole can do, a good handful or ranked years and some NY6 games and a few years mediocre-ish here and there. That's the ideal imo but not easy to achieve, he's underrated imo.

Last edited:
Sustaining success at a high level is hard for most programs but especially ones down the totem pole. It's what makes Saban so good regardless of him being at Alabama. I wouldn't assume another coach at Alabama would do what he's done. Losing staff and players etc..and keeping it rolling at a very high level isn't a given regardless of which school you're at...people may think that but I don't think it's so simple. He just makes it look simple lol.

If you're further down the totem pole getting your year in the sun like TCU last year or Mizzou Louisville last year (which would mean playoffs in the future) and then probably drop down to mediocre-ish levels other years is a reasonable expectation. What Whittingham has done at Utah is probably the pinnacle of what a school down the totem pole can do, a good handful or ranked years and some NY6 games and a few years mediocre-ish here and there. That's the ideal imo but not easy to achieve, he's underrated imo.
Yep, that's why Saban is the GOAT IMO
He's won at multiple places, yet took one of if not the most high pressured job in the game and has won big the last 15 years, with no signs of slowing down
Simply amazing

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I hope Iowa slaps the snot out of the B1G East champ.
Wanting something is easy, but do you honestly believe that a backup QB of an offensively challenged Iwas is staying with in 20 of either team? I predict that the opening line is -18.5 take the cover. Iwas is getting boatraced.

No is talking a out the other big game today. The #132 bowl. UMass and uconn get it on for the privilege of avoiding being ranked the worst team in cfb.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
If LSU was performing better, I think he'd be a strong favorite for the Heisman but because they're not a contender it's more wide open with Harrison, Nix, Penix

Gus Johnson just called OSU-UM "the greatest rivalry in sports". A bit hyperbolic, no?

They let that forward progress go for a bit but still not in. Seems like he might have gotten in but don't know that you can overturn.

In on 4th down, big conversion there the way the game has been going early. 7-0 Michigan

Louisville 7-0 on UK
LSU A&M tied at 7

Loss of CJ Stroud was big. It's not always plug and play for the big names like some think. Last year's OSU team had a really good UGA team on the ropes.

I think that might be an INT for OSU but enough to overturn?

Well guess not, Michigan TD 14-3

LSU 14-10 on A&M
Louisville 10-7 on UK
IU 14-6 on Purdue

I think that might be an INT for OSU but enough to overturn?

Well guess not, Michigan TD 14-3

LSU 14-10 on A&M
Louisville 10-7 on UK
IU 14-6 on Purdue

I think he had possession in the end zone and as he hit the ground. Then it was taken away. IMO

Did we just do 7+ minutes of commercials, a kickoff, and then 7 more minutes of commercials in the OSU game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT