ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2020 season

No one hates Conforto. McNeil seems to be an afterthought, and all he has done is surpass expectations. People love the underdog.

Conforto (first-round pick): 5 years-batting avg.254 poor, 30+ HRs last year outstanding, fielding average.

McNeil (12th round pick): 2 years-batting avg .320, 23 HRs last year exceeded expectations, fielding average, but can play multiple positions.

It's decision time for Conforto. Expectations for Conforto were high since he was a first-round draft pick. Do you sign him to a big contract even though some of his stats don't back it? Or do you go in another direction? The other issue with Conforto is his agent.
This is the very type of brain fog that mumbles right past the fact that Conforto is a good hitter.

Reactions: Zak57
CF Brandon Nimmo
LF Jeff McNeil
1B Pete Alonso
RF Michael Conforto
3B J.D. Davis
DH Dominic Smith
SS Amed Rosario
2B Andres Gimenez
C Tomas Nido

RHP Jacob deGrom

This is the very type of brain fog that mumbles right past the fact that Conforto is a good hitter.
Conforto has the traits to be a good hitter, but he hasn't put it all together just yet. A .254 career batting average doesn't say good hitter. Conforto has moments during the season where he is a great hitter, but his problem is during it enough times that at the end of the season, he has a solid batting average. His strikeouts totals continue to climb each season. Conforto was 32nd in the league in total strikeouts. Almost all of those on the strikeout leader board hit for a poor average. When I think of a solid batting average, I'm thinking in the range of .285 or better. Only Yoan Moncada hit for a high average (.315).

Before you go with this On-base percentage thing or some other nerd stat, think about the timing of some of Conforto's AB. Just the other night, he came up twice with an opportunity to help the Mets, and each time he struck out. For the most part, he hasn't delivered like a first-rounder. I want Conforto to have success, but let's not paint him as a saint.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Last year, Conforto was 19th in OPS in the NL, 20th in OBP. Right now he's 16th in OPS, 22d in OBP. He's a good hitter.

Your selective memory of particular at bats and obsession with where he was drafted is part of your brain fog. You're loaded with it. You also have a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between good and perfect.

Will Cohen have the Mets by then? If not, Conforto is gone.
The plan is to complete the sale by the end of this year. No guarantee it will be Cohen but he is the favorite. If so, that raises more questions than it answers:
  • Will Cohen (or whomever) be an active Steinbrenner type owner, or a passive checkwriter? Or somewhere in between?
  • Will he hire a new GM?
  • If so, will that GM be given latitude to build the team, or will he be under a "win now" edict? I'm guessing the latter.
One thing we do know - if it's Cohen, and if he really wants Conforto (or whomever), he won't be outbid.

The plan is to complete the sale by the end of this year. No guarantee it will be Cohen but he is the favorite. If so, that raises more questions than it answers:
  • Will Cohen (or whomever) be an active Steinbrenner type owner, or a passive checkwriter? Or somewhere in between?
  • Will he hire a new GM?
  • If so, will that GM be given latitude to build the team, or will he be under a "win now" edict? I'm guessing the latter.
One thing we do know - if it's Cohen, and if he really wants Conforto (or whomever), he won't be outbid.
I wouldn't get caught up in the "more questions than it answers" aspect of things. No matter how much yammering we do on the internet or overthinking we obsess through, none of us will be able to answer whether the new owners will run the franchise well. But we have loads of evidence that the current owners, particularly the doofy son with his pick for GM of BVW-WTF, run the franchise badly. So getting them out is excellent news. Then we hope about the new ownership.

Last year, Conforto was 19th in OPS in the NL, 20th in OBP. Right now he's 16th in OPS, 22d in OBP. He's a good hitter.

Your selective memory of particular at bats and obsession with where he was drafted is part of your brain fog. You're loaded with it. You also have a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between good and perfect.

I feel with all of the analytics in baseball, it takes away from the skills of the player. Stats are great for an overview of a player, but in the heat of the moment, the analytics don't take into account the mental make-up of the player and how he handles it. As for where Conforto was drafted, it does make a difference. The time and energy invested in knowing everything there is to know about a franchise-type player is different from later round picks. So you're expected to produce more and have better results than most.

Do you know the funny thing about all of this? I just apply for a position at MLB for data analytics.

No one hates Conforto. McNeil seems to be an afterthought, and all he has done is surpass expectations. People love the underdog.

Conforto (first-round pick): 5 years-batting avg.254 poor, 30+ HRs last year outstanding, fielding average.

McNeil (12th round pick): 2 years-batting avg .320, 23 HRs last year exceeded expectations, fielding average, but can play multiple positions.

It's decision time for Conforto. Expectations for Conforto were high since he was a first-round draft pick. Do you sign him to a big contract even though some of his stats don't back it? Or do you go in another direction? The other issue with Conforto is his agent.

You're stuck on BA way too much. McNeil is amazing but BA isn't the end all.

Conforto deserves a lot of money and we should be the ones to give it to him.

You're stuck on BA way too much. McNeil is amazing but BA isn't the end all.

Conforto deserves a lot of money and we should be the ones to give it to him.
McNeil does need to develop other aspects of his offensive game. He could work the count more and it would lead to more walks. You have to understand where I'm coming from. I've coach 20 years of HS football and 15 HS baseball. I'm more concerned with the weaknesses in a player's game and fixing it. You are more likely to lose a game by what you can't do more so than what you can do. This is why you scout players and teams to understand how to attack them. I have concerns about Conforto and McNeil, but more so about Conforto, because he's getting away from what was his strength, and that is being a strong hitter. There was a lot more invested in Conforto than McNeil. I'm tired of quality players moving on to other teams and reaching their potential while getting paid.

Zak
I wasn't stuck on BA only. I throw out some stats to make a point.

• AS LONG AS HE DOESN'T POCKET THE MONEY THATS SUPPOSED TO MAKE THE METS A BETTER ORGANIZATION. I HAVE THE FEELING THAT AROD'S GROUP WOULD BE MORE OF THE SAME AS NOW SINCE HE HAS TO LOOK AROUND AND ASK PEOPLE TO JOIN HIS GROUP TO GET ENOUGH MONEY. THE ONLY REASON AROD WOULD GET IT IS BECAUSE HES THE POPULAR CHOICE WITH MANFRED, IMO.

• Will he hire a new GM?
  • THIS BETTER BE THE FIRST THING WHOEVER BUYS THE METS MUST DO

• TBH, I WOULD REMAKE THE ORGANIZATION TO BE LIKE THE RAYS, ASTROS (they actually have built a great system despite the trash cans and buzzers), AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS WHO HAVE A GREAT FARM SYSTEM THAT SUPPLEMENTS THE MLB CLUB WITH GREAT PLAYERS.
CONFORTO CAN STILL BE OUR CODY BELLINGER, MOOKIE BETTS, AARON JUDGE TYPE ALONG WITH PETE ALONSO.

I feel with all of the analytics in baseball, it takes away from the skills of the player. Stats are great for an overview of a player, but in the heat of the moment, the analytics don't take into account the mental make-up of the player and how he handles it. As for where Conforto was drafted, it does make a difference. The time and energy invested in knowing everything there is to know about a franchise-type player is different from later round picks. So you're expected to produce more and have better results than most.

Do you know the funny thing about all of this? I just apply for a position at MLB for data analytics.
For your sake, let’s hope that they don’t see this.

I don't disagree in that I feel that Conforto should be better but...
It is his 3rd full time season and in his first two, he has improved in every single stat on the board. Only two stats did not improve. Triples - 1 in each season and Walks, both seasons at 84 which is very good. Every single other stat has improved.
Though, if you told me that I could sign up for a 1st round consistent .250+ hitter with 30HR 90 RBI who is also a clubhouse leader and good team mate...I think I sign up for it. Of course we still want to get superstars every once in a while but look how many 1st round guys fail.
I also think that strange shoulder injury was a big road block as well

Alonso: 22 Ks in 58 AB, 203 AVG. Troubling sign?

We all wouldve been going bonkers if this was Cespedes or Cano.

I don't disagree in that I feel that Conforto should be better but...
It is his 3rd full time season and in his first two, he has improved in every single stat on the board. Only two stats did not improve. Triples - 1 in each season and Walks, both seasons at 84 which is very good. Every single other stat has improved.
Though, if you told me that I could sign up for a 1st round consistent .250+ hitter with 30HR 90 RBI who is also a clubhouse leader and good team mate...I think I sign up for it. Of course we still want to get superstars every once in a while but look how many 1st round guys fail.
I also think that strange shoulder injury was a big road block as well
I'll sign up for the results. Conforto is a very important piece to the puzzle, but I'm not calling him a superstar. The Mets need a stud/superstar to carry the load like what David Wright did for years. Guys like Wright take the focus and pressure of others so they can do their job.

Let's hope deGrom makes it through the 5th without ripping his blister and the bullpen dont choke again.

I'll sign up for the results. Conforto is a very important piece to the puzzle, but I'm not calling him a superstar. The Mets need a stud/superstar to carry the load like what David Wright did for years. Guys like Wright take the focus and pressure of others so they can do their job.
JD reminds me a lot of Wright

Reactions: Greg2020
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT