ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven’t we’ve had Sandy Ball all these years? How’s that worked out that would make you think that Billy Ball wouldn’t be the same?

John Harper of SNY is reporting that Mets next move is to get (or try to get) approval from the Brewers to talk to Stearns. Since the Brewers season is now done, I would think that would happen quickly if it happens at all. Reportedly the A's will be more amenable to parting with Beane, as they have a succession plan in place.

I think it will be Beane. He is Cohen's kind of guy. An innovator, disrupter, and someone who can identify and extract value.

I like Stearns better than Beane...But I wonder, in both cases, what it will cost us to hire either. I am betting it takes one of our top 4 guys in the minors...Mauricio may be the only one of the 4 I would be ok with as we have Lindor. Alvarez, Baty and Vientos need to stay with us at all costs. I see those three as a great core of young kids on this team for a number of years.

And I also hope in the FA market- we go hard after K Bryant, S Marte and Baez

Also curious if a guy like Max S would consider coming here and if we would be willing to spend his type of $$$ on him.

Sorry, but I don't believe in giving up any top prospect for a front office person. It's not like this organization is overflowing with prospects!!!!!!
On the other hand, an organization with a weak minor league system can be viewed as precisely the type of organization that should give up minor league talent to finally get someone who knows how to regularly and consistently acquire talent.

Reactions: tico brown
Sorry, but I don't believe in giving up any top prospect for a front office person. It's not like this organization is overflowing with prospects!!!!!!
To follow up on my point above - there is NOTHING more important than organizational leadership. No price is too high for the right person.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
To follow up on my point above - there is NOTHING more important than organizational leadership. No price is too high for the right person.
In a perfect world, yes, your right. In the Mets world, the new GM gets fired after 5 years and the players turn into 15 year, high level players.

In a perfect world, yes, your right. In the Mets world, the new GM gets fired after 5 years and the players turn into 15 year, high level players.
If we hire the right guy, forget everything you once knew about the Mets world. That all changes. Just as it did when Frank Cashen was hired.

• Love
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Do you recall who the Patriots gave up for the right to sign Bill Belichick from the Jets?

Me neither.
FWIW I looked it up, Pats gave Jets their #1 draft pick that year in exchange for signing Belichick. Which would seem like fair compensation for signing Stearns or Beane - except that MLB does not allow the trading of draft picks. I wonder if that will change in the next CBA.

Agree that either team will demand a top prospect. IMO there are two untouchables, Alvarez and Baty. I am not sold on Mauricio. I really like Vientos but he and Baty are redundant. Not sure where I put Allan given his TJ surgery.

Look for MCNeil and or Dom Smith to possibly be traded for a front office guy and or manager / a la Beane and Melvin.

Stearns is not coming here. For Beane I don't know if we'd have to give anything up for him.

Look for MCNeil and or Dom Smith to possibly be traded for a front office guy and or manager / a la Beane and Melvin.
According to Doc, not gonna happen.

Stearns is not coming here. For Beane I don't know if we'd have to give anything up for him.
I rather have Stearns. Btw, why do you think Stearns wouldn't come to the Mets. If the Mets offer him the GM and the VP positions, what would hold him back? It would be a homecoming for him.

On the other hand, an organization with a weak minor league system can be viewed as precisely the type of organization that should give up minor league talent to finally get someone who knows how to regularly and consistently acquire talent.
One reason that they don't have prospects is that they've traded a lot of them away. The system would look a lot different without BVW.

This is just another way of stressing the importance of getting a guy who knows how to collect talent in the system.

According to Doc, not gonna happen.

I rather have Stearns. Btw, why do you think Stearns wouldn't come to the Mets. If the Mets offer him the GM and the VP positions, what would hold him back? It would be a homecoming for him.

The Brewers ownership. He didn't want to come back last year as well don't forget.

For someone who “doesn’t want the GM job long term,” I’m sure expecting Sandy to become GM or wtf else the title will be to run the Mets org soon enough…

• Angry
For someone who “doesn’t want the GM job long term,” I’m sure expecting Sandy to become GM or wtf else the title will be to run the Mets org soon enough…

IDK. Who is the only person in the world who can credibly leak that the A's are unlikely to let Beane go? That would be the owner, John Fisher. And why would he do that? To drive up the price.

If Beane makes it clear to Fisher that he no longer wants to be there, Fisher will negotiate a release. It will not come cheap, nor should it. Beane is a valuable commodity.

Stearns? Him I'm not so sure about. The Brewers owner, Mark Attanasio, reportedly views himself as the ringleader of the small market owners. From what I have read, he would take it as a personal insult if Stearns wanted to leave to a big market team. He might just let Stearns twist in the wind.

If Cohen decides Stearns is his guy, he may just hire a stopgap GM for 2022, then hire Stearns as a free agent in 2023. Or maybe Alderson operates in a caretaker role for one more year.

We can be sure of one thing: Cohen is conducting backchannel communications with both Beane and Stearns.

Wow. Did not see that coming. Beane had been reported to be very interested. I wonder what changed. Or perhaps nothing changed, the original reports could have just been wrong. Or maybe Beane planted them to sweeten his deal with the A's. Who knows.

Next up could be one of the Dodgers lieutenants. I guess we'll have to wait on that until after the Dodgers are either eliminated or win it all.

Reactions: tico brown
Seeking another team's top baseball guy as your top baseball guy is always, at best, an uncertain game. Without permission, it doesn't happen. And why would a team that has been highly successful with that guy give you permission to take him away? Other than through significant compensation? And, if you have a top notch POBO, compesnation of someone like Brett Baty just isn't going to cut it. Or a MLB player coming off a crappy year.

The Mets are going to have to pick someone to be promoted to POBO. They won't get a sure thing--that is, someone already successful at that position. They're going to have to promote a GM or VP GM. Let's see how they do.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I think next up will be Josh Byrnes of the Dodgers. His current title is Senior VP of Baseball Operations, reporting to Andrew Friedman who is the POBO. So it would be a promotion and under MLB protocol he should be fair game.

The Dodgers do not have a GM title, as Byrnes is in effect that. They do have two guys with the title of Vice President and Assistant General Manager. However, I am reading that they plan to promote one of them, Brandon Gomes, to GM. Maybe to prevent Byrnes from taking him along with him?

Byrnes has a terrible track record. No thanks.
The Dodgers must be doing something right. Are you suggesting they are winning in spite of Byrnes? Perhaps they are for all I know.

There is another direction in which the Mets could go. It's been reported that Cohen and Alderson are quite impressed with Zack Scott (prior to DUI). If the case is satisfactorily resolved, they could decide to just run it back in 2022, and then make another run at Stearns when he presumably will be a free agent.

Rerun of last year, while the Braves are 2 wins from the series 🤦‍♂️

Why don't we just think outside the box and hire an agent to become gm. What could go wrong. Maybe he can even reward his over the hill clients with contracts as a thank you.

• Haha
How about a person from the Braves organization? I have no idea who/what/where qualifies a person for what the Mets are looking for. But this guy has experience with the Astros and the Braves. Maybe too light?
Sounds like GM would be a step up for this guy. Maybe new POBO will view him as a candidate.

If Mets decide not to settle on a Plan C POBO, and run it back with Alderson for another year, then they may just bring back Zack Scott, assuming his legal entanglements get untangled.

Wondering what kind of credibility Cohen actually has. Thus far, he’s kind of been just a cartoon character.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT