ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2021-2022 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

With top candidates out, what's next in Mets' search for president of baseball operations?

With top candidates out, what's next in Mets' search for president of baseball operations?

Interesting journalism technique. If you have nothing to say, be sure you use a lot of words to say it.

MLB has announced the price of a qualifying free agent offer for 2022. It is $18.4M, down from $18.9M this year.

Conforto and Syndergaard will both receive one. Syndergaard will accept his.

Carrasco underwent elbow surgery, expected back to baseball activities later this winter.

Beane said he backed away due to family considerations.
Is the family considerations that fact that alderson will still be calling the shots and alderson son is assistant gm and he wouldn't his guys.
New owner. Same old nepotism and cronyism with the Mets.

no big time name will work for sandy and his loyal son. Get them out and the names will come.

Is the family considerations that fact that alderson will still be calling the shots and alderson son is assistant gm and he wouldn't his guys.
New owner. Same old nepotism and cronyism with the Mets.

no big time name will work for sandy and his loyal son. Get them out and the names will come.
But… but… Sandy is innocent!!!!!!

The short answer to your question is no.

The longer answer is that the opposite is true. Beane stated that the Mets job was the only one that he would even consider, and Alderson was the reason.

But thanks for your concern.

Reactions: shields and MadRU
might as well bring back Omar at this point if you aren't going to offer full GM power to the candidates.

might as well bring back Omar at this point if you aren't going to offer full GM power to the candidates.
No one has said that definitely. Some have speculated it, and have suggested it may be a turnoff to the candidates. Others have refuted that. Cohen and Alderson have pledged full authority.

It's the off-season, so I thought maybe some of you might be interested in this video of the greatest at-bat in New York Mets history. Mookie Wilson at bat, tenth inning, game 6, 1986 World Series
As a Mets fan, this is pathetic that THIS and the Tommie Agee dive are the two most iconic plays ever and both are like 15 years apart. What’s more pathetic is that the World Series appearances are around that 15 year range.

BTW, I’m not going to say another word until Sandy is named GM non grata because no one else wants to take his strong presence.

You're overlooking the distinction between "great" and "greatest." The Mets could have won ten world series, and that might still be the greatest single at bat.
THIS^^^^ People sometimes just see it as an infield single at best- but fail to take into account how many 2 strike pitches Mookie fouled off prior to that hit. Under the pressure of that moment, amazing at bat. Each of the guys in front of him could also lay claim to great at bats as well. And I don't care if we won the next 10 in a row- that whole sequence ending with Mookie, may be the greatest moments not only in Met history but in baseball.

As a Mets fan, this is pathetic that THIS and the Tommie Agee dive are the two most iconic plays ever and both are like 15 years apart. What’s more pathetic is that the World Series appearances are around that 15 year range.

BTW, I’m not going to say another word until Sandy is named GM non grata because no one else wants to take his strong presence.
Can we put the Bartolo Colon home run in the top 5 or 10?

Reactions: Doctor Worm
You're overlooking the distinction between "great" and "greatest." The Mets could have won ten world series, and that might still be the greatest single at bat.
The Mets had as much chance of winning ten world series as I did of dating Scarlet Johansson.

Mookie’s AB was the greatest AB in history IMO. Made all the more true by meeting him in person a couple years earlier at my LL banquet (fantastic guy). Surreal watching him do that shortly thereafter.

Reactions: Plum Street
Sabean + Bochy?
The NY Daily News story quoted a "source close to Sabean". Would not be surprised if that source was Sabean himself.

Whether the Mets are interested is of course the question. Sabean is old school. I suspect that old school is not what Cohen is looking for.

Regardless of whether Sabean is hired, he has laid to rest the myth that Alderson's presence will deter any credible candidate.

Reactions: Knight Shift
That is not the greatest at bat. A significant event, but not greatest at bat.
I googled "famous Met at bats", and Mookie's 1986 Game 6 AB was the first one that came up.

Two of the most famous plays in Met history occurred on that one at bat. The "gets by Buckner" ground ball is arguably the most famous, but the Stanley wild pitch that tied the game is not far behind.

Last edited:
I googled "famous Met at bats", and Mookie's 1986 Game 6 AB was the first one that came up.

Two of the most famous plays in Met history occurred on that one at bat. The "gets by Buckner" ground ball is arguably the most famous, but the Stanley wild pitch that tied the game is not far behind.
Of course, both are part of the same at-bat.

The Mets had as much chance of winning ten world series as I did of dating Scarlet Johansson.
I guess watching/not watching the Bosox and Astros this past week has turned you back to visiting this thread. Mets fans didn't even get to finish one round of golf before you guys were looking for tee times.

Reactions: tico brown
What is better? Beltran’s may be more well known in some circles , but not better for Mets history or great .
Beltran had so many huge HR’s and moments fir the Mets. It is a shame so many only remember his strikeout and forget he may be in the top 5 greatest Met players.
but…none of his HR’s are more well known in any circle than Mookie’s hit between Buckner’s legs. Come on man

Beltran had so many huge HR’s and moments fir the Mets. It is a shame so many only remember his strikeout and forget he may be in the top 5 greatest Met players.
but…none of his HR’s are more well known in any circle than Mookie’s hit between Buckner’s legs. Come on man
How could it be a hit if it went between Buckner's legs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT