ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ playing catch up in the Craft Beer business.

Thanks.

My brother likes Octoberfest beer the best and I’m going to ask my sister to buy some on my behalf for his birthday.

Preferably a Jersey made brew

My fave, too. Been doing a western tour of Oktoberfests this year. Got a bunch from Colorado for Labor Day, Utah this weekend, then NV and CA later this month.

An Imperial Oktoberfest called the Kaiser was my fave so far. Forget which brewery, but from CO.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
My fave, too. Been doing a western tour of Oktoberfests this year. Got a bunch from Colorado for Labor Day, Utah this weekend, then NV and CA later this month.

An Imperial Oktoberfest called the Kaiser was my fave so far. Forget which brewery, but from CO.
Pretty sure the Kaiser beer you're referring to is from Avery in Boulder. I stopped there once while driving cross-country. Got into my hotel around 9pm and then looked up where the brewery was, turned out it was walking distance. The walk was a winding dirt path through an overgrown field that was only lit by the full moon. It was also the week of Halloween, and I was alone, felt like I was in the beginning of a horror movie. Eventually I got to a clearing and saw this huge building in front of me with a big sign "AVERY BREWING CO."

Reactions: fsg2
My buddy is growing ghost peppers in his backyard, so we brewed a beer with it. Can't wait to see how it turns out in a couple weeks.
My experience with beers brewed with a style of hot peppers is it will be great or awful, there is no middle. 🍺

Pretty sure the Kaiser beer you're referring to is from Avery in Boulder. I stopped there once while driving cross-country. Got into my hotel around 9pm and then looked up where the brewery was, turned out it was walking distance. The walk was a winding dirt path through an overgrown field that was only lit by the full moon. It was also the week of Halloween, and I was alone, felt like I was in the beginning of a horror movie. Eventually I got to a clearing and saw this huge building in front of me with a big sign "AVERY BREWING CO."

You are correct. Found one last can of it.

Now I just wish I had a great time/place anecdote like yours. I hope you followed up with a trip to the Shining house!

My experience with beers brewed with a style of hot peppers is it will be great or awful, there is no middle. 🍺
Yep same, we made sure to give this one some body and hopefully more flavor so it isn't just hot and nothing else.

You are correct. Found one last can of it.

Now I just wish I had a great time/place anecdote like yours. I hope you followed up with a trip to the Shining house!
Nope, never saw that movie lol. I was actually back there this summer though and did some hiking while there.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Reactions: CERU00
There is simply no end to what ridiculous things the taxpayer funded government will do at our expense.
Yes I'm sure this is costing a fortune and we will all see a massive increase in our taxes to afford this one small website. You sound like those people who think their taxes are high because of Rutgers football.

Yes I'm sure this is costing a fortune and we will all see a massive increase in our taxes to afford this one small website. You sound like those people who think their taxes are high because of Rutgers football.
Do you honestly think the government should be making brewery guide apps? Is that really a responsibility you would assign the government? Please tell me honestly.

By the way, the brewery association already has an app. So not only is a waste and abuse of resources, but its redundant.

Do you honestly think the government should be making brewery guide apps? Is that really a responsibility you would assign the government? Please tell me honestly.

By the way, the brewery association already has an app. So not only is a waste and abuse of resources, but its redundant.
It's not an app, it's a website. To answer your question, on a philosophical level, probably not, although these state brewery passports exist in many other places and certainly do promote tourism, which is exactly why the Division of Travel and Tourism has created this website. But on a practical real-life level, this costs such a miniscule portion of the state's massive budget that even if you don't think the state should be fostering tourism and doing things to encourage people to spend money at its small businesses, the amount of funds going towards this is probably not even worth caring about. If you're really that upset by your taxes going towards this website, I'll give you a penny to refund you and you can even keep the change. We can probably put together an endless list of things the state wastes millions of dollars on. This is nowhere remotely close to that amount, might as well pick any one intersection on a state road and complain about the amount spent on electricity at one traffic light compared to using a stop sign instead.

Also I guess you didn't actually click the link you posted because literally the first sentence is "The NJCB app is phased out." The NJCB website/app is also not the same as this Brews Trail Pass.

There is simply no end to what ridiculous things the taxpayer funded government will do at our expense.
I don't think that it's all that ridiculous. As someone mentioned, the cost to develop and run this endeavor is probably miniscule. The Brew Trail Pass looks like it incorporates NJ trails and the surrounding breweries. I have several friends who will hop on their bikes, get some exercise, stop at a local eatery to pick up food and bring it to a brewery after the ride. One, they get exercise and utilize the trail systems (some of which are maintained by the very same government which is promoting the Brew Trail). Two, they bring patrons into the are who visit local shops, buy goods/food and then spend more money at the brewery. Three, most people I know who exercise and drink beer are pretty cool people which makes the trip to the brewery(s) a good time for socialization which in turn helps boost the mental state and lowers the risk for depression. Lowering the risk of depression/improving mental states by the way is associated with improved health outcomes. Better mental/physical health leads to less doctor visits, hospitalizations and the costs associated with them. Guess who subsidizes the hospitals? The state. It's quite possible the peanuts the state threw at this website will actually save the state of NJ mega multi fold times over in the future by doing this.

And by the way Johhny, the link provided in the article to the Brew Trail Pass brings you right into the middle of a NJ tourism page. At a real quick glance, I'd say it's well done and gives anyone who visits the site access to anything and everything the state promotes for tourism. That includes wineries just in case you know anyone who has a stake in NJ wineries.

And by the way Johhny, the link provided in the article to the Brew Trail Pass brings you right into the middle of a NJ tourism page. At a real quick glance, I'd say it's well done and gives anyone who visits the site access to anything and everything the state promotes for tourism. That includes wineries just in case you know anyone who has a stake in NJ wineries.
The wineries funded and created their own, similar app. The way it should be. Private businesses collectivizing their own resources and marketing cooperatively on their own dime, not that of taxpayers.

The wineries funded and created their own, similar app. The way it should be. Private businesses collectivizing their own resources and marketing cooperatively on their own dime, not that of taxpayers.
Interesting. So the department of tourism should remove wineries from their website and do nothing to promote them? That doesnt make sense. Isn't the tourism department supposed to create ways to draw people into the state and/or it's venues and promote all the interesting/fun things to do here? In the end, minimal investment by NJ will produce revenue for the local economies/private businesses which in turn will be taxed and benefit the state. That's a win win the way I see it.

Reactions: robcac26
Unwinding NJ's archaic liquor regulations should help the industry:

It's about time that changes were made. I read another article that details how there will be an increase in the number of licenses by giving new ones to indoor/strip malls (2 new ones for malls, including strip malls >750k sq feet and 4 new ones for those >1.5 million sq feet).

Reactions: RUnTeX
The Alementary in Hackensack is closing (probably in April) according to co-owner, Blake Crawford. Forgotten Boardwalk also announced it's closing.

Made it to Tonewood yesterday as part of a bike ride! My first time there. Fabulous is the best description. Big crowd! Lots of families with little kids and probably more dogs at any brewery I've been at except Neshaminy Creek. I was in heaven! Beers are top notch. The ride not so much. Except for Cooper River Park the roads in Camden County are awful. Even in pricey towns like Haddonfield. Highly recommend for everyone to visit at some point.

I'm guessing they didn't get the property, just the Flying Fish name. Hope they brew a better beer too.
It seems that the value of Shelf space at Retailers is more or less the total value of FF, plus a little for sale of the equipment.

Some FL microbreweries have gone this way. The brand name is still on the shelf at Publix, but the brewery has long ago closed down while the beer is made by another brewery.

Few questions

1) what type of license do you need to open a craft brewery that is allowed to host people and allow people to buy your beer to drink?

2) what are the start up costs to start a craft brewery?

I personally dont have interest in doing so but would love to see one in my town

Few questions

1) what type of license do you need to open a craft brewery that is allowed to host people and allow people to buy your beer to drink?

2) what are the start up costs to start a craft brewery?

I personally dont have interest in doing so but would love to see one in my town
A brewers license. And with it restrictions vs what a restaurant can do but recently relaxed some of the stupid rules.

The business [Flying Fish] is one of New Jersey’s oldest craft breweries, which filed for protection because of $1.3 million in assets against $9.3 million in liabilities.

Ouch!

It seems that the value of Shelf space at Retailers is more or less the total value of FF, plus a little for sale of the equipment.

Some FL microbreweries have gone this way. The brand name is still on the shelf at Publix, but the brewery has long ago closed down while the beer is made by another brewery.
I think the FF brewers license has a bigger value. The retail business isn't the model for success anymore. The plan for success is multiple taprooms. That is where the greatest profit is and the brewery controls it all. Look at Other Half. Multiple taprooms in Brooklyn, one two blocks away from my store in Philadelphia and one in D.C.
Neshaminy Creek now has a future 4th taproom coming in the former Harleysville National Bank. Human Robot now has their 4th taproom. This purchase of the limited assets FF maybe the easy way for Guilford to get into the NJ market.

I think the FF brewers license has a bigger value. The retail business isn't the model for success anymore. The plan for success is multiple taprooms. That is where the greatest profit is and the brewery controls it all. Look at Other Half. Multiple taprooms in Brooklyn, one two blocks away from my store in Philadelphia and one in D.C.
Neshaminy Creek now has a future 4th taproom coming in the former Harleysville National Bank. Human Robot now has their 4th taproom. This purchase of the limited assets FF maybe the easy way for Guilford to get into the NJ market.
I personally don’t love the beer, but when Ship Bottom Brewing had their outdoor area right in the middle of Beach Haven, we spent a lot of time there and have now gone back to their taproom a few times and it’s always packed. A well placed taproom seems like a recipe for success.

It's a shame to see FF go. They along with the recently closed Forgotten Boardwalk (who ironically operate is FF's old building) and Lunacy Brewing were 3 of the "OG" craft breweries in Camden County.

FF had a head start on others but I felt like they'd been mailing it in for the past few years. Their Exit series beers were probably their biggest success. They should have doubled down on those but instead stopped making the majority of them. On a related note I picked up a 4 pack for their Blueberry Braggot (formerly the Exit 4 Blueberry Braggot) and put it in my basement to age for a year. A super unique beer I would recommend anyone who hasn't had it before to find some before they disappear from the shelves. I hate to say it but I won't miss anything else they've made recently

Made it to Tonewood yesterday as part of a bike ride! My first time there. Fabulous is the best description. Big crowd! Lots of families with little kids and probably more dogs at any brewery I've been at except Neshaminy Creek. I was in heaven! Beers are top notch. The ride not so much. Except for Cooper River Park the roads in Camden County are awful. Even in pricey towns like Haddonfield. Highly recommend for everyone to visit at some point.
Which location did you go to, the old location in Oaklyn or the new bigger one in Barrington?

Their beer is untouchable in South Jersey, at least in my opinion. Especially if you love IPAs. They knock it out of the park every time

Which location did you go to, the old location in Oaklyn or the new bigger one in Barrington?

Their beer is untouchable in South Jersey, at least in my opinion. Especially if you love IPAs. They knock it out of the park every time
The new one. It's a wonderful place! Agree they are the top South Jersey brewery.
They make good lagers too. Next trip will try the Belgian brews they make.
At my store I sell more Freshies then Fuego which isn't the norm. But sell a lot of both. Freshies is my #1 selling six pack.
Can't wait to return!

Reactions: S_Janowski
It's a shame to see FF go. They along with the recently closed Forgotten Boardwalk (who ironically operate is FF's old building) and Lunacy Brewing were 3 of the "OG" craft breweries in Camden County.

FF had a head start on others but I felt like they'd been mailing it in for the past few years. Their Exit series beers were probably their biggest success. They should have doubled down on those but instead stopped making the majority of them. On a related note I picked up a 4 pack for their Blueberry Braggot (formerly the Exit 4 Blueberry Braggot) and put it in my basement to age for a year. A super unique beer I would recommend anyone who hasn't had it before to find some before they disappear from the shelves. I hate to say it but I won't miss anything else they've made recently
I visited the brewery roughly five years ago and was speaking with one of the employees there about the Exit Series. She said that when they started it, they thought it would take only a couple years but then it dragged on for about a decade and became more of a chore for them and they were looking forward to being done with it. It seemed backwards to me because many of them were vastly superior to their usual beers as you mentioned. I still have my complete collection of exit series bottles. The blueberry braggot was Exit 3. Exit 4 was actually their first one, an American tripel, and it is still one of my favorites of that style. I used to drink a lot of Exit 4 and Exit 16 (wild rice double IPA) during Devils playoff games because they're from NJ and it takes 4 games to win a round and 16 to win the Cup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT