ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ playing catch up in the Craft Beer business.

anybody been Neck of the Woods in Pittman? i will be down in that area this weekend and never heard of it before.

If you are in the Stockton area along Rt 29 near the Delaware River stop in for a visit at Odd Bird Brewing. A short distance from the Stockton Bridge and built into a gas station repair bay, they make a wide range of beers that are top notch, including cask and Belgian styles. Each time I visit Bucks County I make it a destination on my itinerary.

If you are in the Stockton area along Rt 29 near the Delaware River stop in for a visit at Odd Bird Brewing. A short distance from the Stockton Bridge and built into a gas station repair bay, they make a wide range of beers that are top notch, including cask and Belgian styles. Each time I visit Bucks County I make it a destination on my itinerary.
I was there twice. First was in the middle of Covid restrictions and we had a good time. From what I remember, a decent beer selection. The second visit was overwhelming. It was a quick stop to pick up cans. They didn't have a great selection on tap and didn't have a good can selection.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Last edited:

We have to free NJ breweries from onerous restrictions. This is why

These two, like most legislators, don't really understand what they're talking about. Breweries are not entitled to operate like and compete with restaurants. The license allows them to make, sample, and sell beer, that's all that's protected in the statute. Every craft brewery knew this when they got licensed and opened. The state did them a favor and let them operate in the gray area during Covid. Now they think they're entitled to operate in ways that they are not.
Why do O'Scanlon and Gopal think it is reasonable for someone in their Monmouth County district, maybe Red Bank, who pays $1M for a liquor license to have to compete with a brewery that gets a $800 brewing license next door to bring in a caterer, TVs, and operate like a de facto sports bar? How is that reasonable? Especially when a brewpub license is available. If you want to be a restaurant that brews its own beer, get the brewpub license. Breweries (and I know many) think they are entitled to operate way outside their license statutes.

Reactions: Knightmoves
These two, like most legislators, don't really understand what they're talking about. Breweries are not entitled to operate like and compete with restaurants. The license allows them to make, sample, and sell beer, that's all that's protected in the statute. Every craft brewery knew this when they got licensed and opened. The state did them a favor and let them operate in the gray area during Covid. Now they think they're entitled to operate in ways that they are not.
Why do O'Scanlon and Gopal think it is reasonable for someone in their Monmouth County district, maybe Red Bank, who pays $1M for a liquor license to have to compete with a brewery that gets a $800 brewing license next door to bring in a caterer, TVs, and operate like a de facto sports bar? How is that reasonable? Especially when a brewpub license is available. If you want to be a restaurant that brews its own beer, get the brewpub license. Breweries (and I know many) think they are entitled to operate way outside their license statutes.

The problem is you need to pay $1M for a liquor license. That is what needs to be changed. Makes the bar for entry too high and decreases competition.

All can be solved with the proper application of cash or campaign donations to our criminal legislators.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
LOL. A Government like NJ does not just ease restrictions, Komrades.
NJ did ease restrictions. Then implemented a new set once the restranteers made their complaints.
The state allowed them to operate in a gray area prior to Covid, didn't they? Some restrictions might have eased up during virus time, but they were allowed to have unlimited events, food trucks, etc before. I am a big supporter of the craft brewers but can wholly understand the pushback from the restaurant business because of the disparities in the cost of the respective licences.

The problem is you need to pay $1M for a liquor license. That is what needs to be changed. Makes the bar for entry too high and decreases competition.
First, that's not really true. There are Class C's available in nice towns for under a half million, regularly.

But even if you were accurate with that statement, is it inherently wrong that some industries or types of business have high barriers to entry? These licenses are assets, they are investments. Since their scarcity is dependent on government laws, them being cheaper would not increase competition. There would still be the same number available.

NJ did ease restrictions. Then implemented a new set once the restranteers made their complaints.

The state allowed them to operate in a gray area prior to Covid, didn't they? Some restrictions might have eased up during virus time, but they were allowed to have unlimited events, food trucks, etc before. I am a big supporter of the craft brewers but can wholly understand the pushback from the restaurant business because of the disparities in the cost of the respective licences.
Yes, they did. But the state told them this was coming, that they were going to turn the gray into black and white. The Craft Brewer's Association sat at the table with the regulators, lobbied for what they wanted to be allowed to do, and ultimately didn't get it. Hence the teeth gnashing.

First, that's not really true. There are Class C's available in nice towns for under a half million, regularly.

But even if you were accurate with that statement, is it inherently wrong that some industries or types of business have high barriers to entry? These licenses are assets, they are investments. Since their scarcity is dependent on government laws, them being cheaper would not increase competition. There would still be the same number available.

Yes, its wrong. It creates a monopoly.

The fact that there are only a few available is what is creating the problem.

Highrail announced it's closure 3 days ago. Esker Hart will take over the space for its own brewery on 7/1, but won't open until early 2024 as they have to wait for their NJ licensing approval.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zak57
Glenbrook, their beer is getting better but still a little underwhelmed. Will continue supporting however.

I’m gonna be back in Jerz in mid July for a week

Your recommendations for the top craft breweries in northern NJ and near Belmar?

in north Jersey, preferably in the Clifton area or towards Floram Park, Madison, East Hanover where a lot of my buds are

Last edited:

Your recommendations for the top craft breweries in northern NJ and near Belmar?

in north Jersey, preferably in the Clifton area or towards Floram Park, Madison, East Hanover where a lot of my buds are
I'd recommend Twin Elephant in Chatham.

Kane in Ocean Twsp makes my favorite NJ beer, Head High, def worth a trip if you are near Belmar

Four NJ breweries took home medals at the World Beer Cup. Here are the winners

Mudhen has gotten much better over the years IMO. They were basically giving beer away when covid hit. The spot they have in wildwood is always a good time as is the food

Mudhen has gotten much better over the years IMO. They were basically giving beer away when covid hit. The spot they have in wildwood is always a good time as is the food
Agree with all of this. Good brews great pub grub and kid friendly as well. One of our go to places when we stay in WW crest

Reactions: newell138

Ghost Hawk is in Clifton, Bolero Snort which does Believeabull partnered with Eric Legrand is in carlstadt. Both are mostly good but have some misses.

Beach Haus in Belmar is actually good now. They were pretty bad for a while, but they hired a new head brewer a few years back and he turned the place around. I found out that guy is actually one of my buddy's friends. He just recently got a job at Dogfish Head, but I'm sure Beach Haus is still using his recipes so I'd recommend checking them out.

Damn. I thought PA had a screwed up Liquor controll system. (And they do) But the leadership ABC in NJ is really screwed up and clueless.
Gee, what a surprise. NJ government doing its best to stifle small businesses.

Damn. I thought PA had a screwed up Liquor controll system. (And they do) But the leadership ABC in NJ is really screwed up and clueless.
Well I wouldn't say they are clueless, they know exactly what they're doing, which is pandering to the side with more powerful lobbyists. Politics as usual.

Reactions: newell138
New one called Diamond Spring is opening in Denville this weekend
Will be there. I was at Double Tap in Whippany last Saturday. The have an impressive line up for their smaller brewing system. Super solid lineup with all kinds of varieties. I stuck with a flight of their NEIPAs, followed by a full pour of their triple IPA, then finished off with a stoudt on nitro. Second visit there and it was even better than the first. Beer, food, and a band made an excellent night.

Reactions: ruteelrice
Well I wouldn't say they are clueless, they know exactly what they're doing, which is pandering to the side with more powerful lobbyists. Politics as usual.
Did you read the article? On one hand the head of the ABC says the rules weren't enforceable. Yet they can't explain why some places were given violations. That's the definition of clueless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT