ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ playing catch up in the Craft Beer business.

Good news about Kane Brewing

Kane Head High awesome
Good news about Kane Brewing

Kane Head High is awesome

The only Trappist brewery in the U.S. is closing (and IPAs are to blame)

The IPA tsunami is strong and getting stronger. A local beer bar nearby had 11 of 27 beers on tap that were various ipas. When I asked the Mgr why so many IPAs he said that IPA customers account for most of the revenue, so he caters to them.

He said that his IPA customers want even more IPAs. East Coast, West Coast, DIPA, Triple IPA, Session, Rye IPA, etc.

Belgian brews would be in a losing situation in a big ipa marketplace that exists now. Makes sense that Spencer didn’t make it. They should have opened a tap room at the brewery and developed a local following imo.

Last edited:
Counterpoint:

IPA's are King in the craft beer scene, no doubt. But sour beers have also become very popular. I've been to multiple craft breweries that make nothing but sours, and it seems that a great many breweries have at least one on their tap list. They are not everybody's cup of tea, but have developed a strong following. Not truly Trappist, but certainly inspired by trappist styles such as Lambics.

Counterpoint:

They are not everybody's cup of tea, but have developed a strong following. Not truly Trappist, but certainly inspired by trappist styles such as Lambics.
Indeed, Flemish sour ales have a long history. Personally not a fan of sours. Their popularity has caught me more by surprise than the plethora of IPAs and ever increasing imperials.

Spencer actually makes a couple of IPAs here in the US as per their website. I guess just not enough. It's too bad this brewery is going by the wayside. My buddy is a big fan of Spencer and makes a yearly pilgrimage to the brewery. As @Knightmoves alluded to, there is something sorely lacking if they can't sell their beer. Marketing, poor business model, lack of availability, making more of what the masses wants. It's a cool concept but it just didn't work.

Sorry to see it come to an end. Recall liking it when on vacation up in Newport RI and Cape Cod a few years ago and finding six packs at local stores. A casualty of the times.

I once visited Industrial Arts Brewing up in NY state and they had about 10 beers on tap, and almost every one was some sort of pale ale. I like IPAs, but if I'm going to a brewery, I want to have a few different styles. Give me a stout, barleywine, hefeweizen, etc. I don't even remember the last time I saw a new scotch ale come out. Unfortunately I guess this was bound to happen as craft beer became mainstream, everyone latches on to only a couple of styles and so that is the vast majority of what the breweries produce.

Similarly, it seems like almost nobody makes an imperial stout anymore without flavoring it with adjuncts or barrel aging it. I like those too, but I also miss just having a good ol' imperial stout without all the added flavors. Carton makes a good one, fittingly called Unjunct.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
The IPA tsunami is strong and getting stronger. A local beer bar nearby had 11 of 27 beers on tap that were various ipas. When I asked the Mgr why so many IPAs he said that IPA customers account for most of the revenue, so he caters to them.

He said that his IPA customers want more IPAs. East Coast, West Coast, DIPA, Triple IPA, Session, Rye IPA, etc.

Belgian brews would be in a losing situation in a big ipa marketplace that exists now. Makes sense that Spencer didn’t make it. They should have opened a tap room at the brewery and developed a local following imo.
Agree that IPA'S are being overdone. However. St. Joseph's blaming it on the IPA craze is laughable. There is much more to their story.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
A smooth malty dunkel will always be my favorite style and it's not close. Love malt over hops and everyone in my friend circle agrees wholeheartedly. But maybe that's because we are in our mid to late 40s and grew up with it. Lagers, stouts, ambers, pilsners, porters....anything but an IPA for us.
Variety is the spice of life, I enjoy pretty much all styles of beers except I'm not crazy about sours and light lagers. The great thing about craft beer is there's something for everybody. It's great when you can go to a brewery or beer bar with a group of people that have very different tastes but everyone can still find something they like, but since craft beer became pretty mainstream, demand for IPAs has been much higher than before, and the selection in stores and bars unfortunately reflects that. I like IPAs, but don't like how so many breweries have just become IPA factories. Hopefully the newcomers that latched onto craft beer because they've been hooked by IPAs start to branch out and appreciate other styles too. Otherwise it might soon be hard to find anything other than IPAs and pastry stouts.

I posted this in another beer thread but recently Cape May Brewery took over Flying Fish Brewery. It's great for the FF employees but the Flying Fish name might not be around long.

Isn’t it likely that Flying Fish will remain a brand that is produced by Cape May Brewing? Even here in FL Flying Fish has shelf space with retailers that has value.

Struggling Microbreweries locally have been purchased by others but the brand remains available years after going out of business.

My impression is that FF is a better known brand than Cape May but clearly they were not profitable to go down this way.

Showing my age but IPAs are so '90s to me. Granted, I'm referring to traditional IPAs not the current NEIPA, hazy IPA craze. I got past my own 5-year long "IPA phase" in the mid-to-late 90s. 'Twas over before Y2K, lol.

Perhaps if I was in my 20s now like I was back then I might be on the IPA bandwagon awhile longer with the proliferation of breweries and so many of them bringing innovation to the style. Though I still believe there is such a thing as hops overload...not to my taste any longer.
IPA drinkers are amateur hour drinkers. Bet they like to drink a lot on NYE & St Patrick’s Day..lol. If I owned a bar I wouldn’t have any IPAs. Wouldn’t want that crowd in my bar

IPA drinkers are amateur hour drinkers. Bet they like to drink a lot on NYE & St Patrick’s Day..lol. If I owned a bar I wouldn’t have any IPAs. Wouldn’t want that crowd in my bar
^^^THIS^^^

someday soon they will remake "Sideways" about beer and the line will be "No more fn IPAs"... I hate em... and I love me a good Belgian.. beer, ale or the dog.. all better than ANY IPA.

Isn’t it likely that Flying Fish will remain a brand that is produced by Cape May Brewing? Even here in FL Flying Fish has shelf space with retailers that has value.

Struggling Microbreweries locally have been purchased by others but the brand remains available years after going out of business.

My impression is that FF is a better known brand than Cape May but clearly they were not profitable to go down this way.
Yes. Cape May is so popular they were having Yards Brewery doing a lot of their production during the summer and fall as demand was so high at the shore. It was a way to keep the product in the Philly market. This solves that issue.
Saw Tom Kehoe recently and Yards is doing great things lately and demand and production. He has loosens the reigns and letting people he hired do what they were hired too. They are also going to a rebranding of the Beers of the Revolution. The former Jefferson ale is simply called Gold now. Lots of excitement in Philly Brewing this days!

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
This Saturday 5/6 is also the annual Washington Crossing Brewfest.
I work that event for years. Soooo much fun. But now it is the same weekend as Five Boro Bike Tour. My next event I'm "working" is Logjammin at Cherry Street Pier June 3rd. That is crazy! Can't wait.

Yes. Cape May is so popular they were having Yards Brewery doing a lot of their production during the summer and fall as demand was so high at the shore. It was a way to keep the product in the Philly market. This solves that issue.
Saw Tom Kehoe recently and Yards is doing great things lately and demand and production. He has loosens the reigns and letting people he hired do what they were hired too. They are also going to a rebranding of the Beers of the Revolution. The former Jefferson ale is simply called Gold now. Lots of excitement in Philly Brewing this days!

I really enjoyed Forgotten Boardwalk when I was in NJ. The cream ale got all of the hype, but I thought their IPA and Porter were also really solid. Hope they're doing well down there.

Reactions: WhiteBus
^^^THIS^^^

someday soon they will remake "Sideways" about beer and the line will be "No more fn IPAs"... I hate em... and I love me a good Belgian.. beer, ale or the dog.. all better than ANY IPA.

I have a Belgian style IPA in my fridge

^^^THIS^^^

They’re the same yuppies that play that shitty Phil Collins song with the drums at the end or that awful cover of “Sound of Silence” oN the juke. It’s “the thing”

^^^THIS^^^

I was in heaven the first 2 weeks of April. Cycling in two organized ride on consecutive Saturdays before the Ronde (Tour of Flanders) and Paris Roubaix Challenge. Riding across the entire country. Obviously had great Belgium beer. Went to De Halve Maan in Bruges, Het Anker in Mechelen, St. Bernardus in Poperinge and in Roubaix France for the 1st time at HUB. A fairly new IPA Brewery there, almost 3 years. They made great beer for a small place. Took me back to 15 years ago of the beer revolution in the Philly area. Owner was awesome. They are getting most of their hops from Poperinge, Belgium hops fields. They are setting aside portions of their land for IPA hops. 5 years ago this wasn't happening.

Reactions: RUnTeX
I posted this in another beer thread but recently Cape May Brewery took over Flying Fish Brewery. It's great for the FF employees but the Flying Fish name might not be around long.
Interesting, thanks for that news. FF has been around since the relatively early days of NJ's craft beer scene in the mid 90s. Recall visiting their original brewery location in Mt. Laurel some 25+ years ago. IIRC, the founder was a Rutgers Camden grad.

So your bar would look something like this

Moe%27s.png

The Flying Fish brewery seemed to loose it’s luster the past 5 + years. I’m sure they did a lot of distribution in and out of NJ but when it comes to the actual brewery it became an afterthought to places like Double Nickel, Bonesaw and Tonewood.

Best beer/brewery in South Jersey is Tonewood imo. Last year they’re opened a real awesome brewery (their 2nd) in Barrington.

The Flying Fish brewery seemed to loose it’s luster the past 5 + years. I’m sure they did a lot of distribution in and out of NJ but when it comes to the actual brewery it became an afterthought to places like Double Nickel, Bonesaw and Tonewood.

Best beer/brewery in South Jersey is Tonewood imo. Last year they’re opened a real awesome brewery (their 2nd) in Barrington.
Tonewood is outstanding stuff, my favorite is Improv.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT