ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Now that most of us are home, besides checking this board what are you reading/watching

Reading John McPhee "The Patch" and Robert Crais "Voodoo River". Just finished "A Gentleman in Moscow" Amor Knowles, one of the best novels I've ever read.

Watching the new Babylon Berlin, Mrs Maisel, Ozark, Jack Ryan.

I wasn't happy with "The Patch" and I'm a lifelong McPhee McFan. Have you ever read "Annals of the Former World"?

Reading John McPhee "The Patch" and Robert Crais "Voodoo River". Just finished "A Gentleman in Moscow" Amor Knowles, one of the best novels I've ever read.

Watching the new Babylon Berlin, Mrs Maisel, Ozark, Jack Ryan.

Just binge watched all three seasons of Babylon Berlin, got into it after a few episodes. I liked it.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I wasn't happy with "The Patch" and I'm a lifelong McPhee McFan. Have you ever read "Annals of the Former World"?
Have not. This McPhee is not up to his usual, its mostly short pieces from a variety of his work, including magazine articles.

I like to balance novels and non-fiction about evenly so he is this week's non-fiction.

Have not. This McPhee is not up to his usual, its mostly short pieces from a variety of his work, including magazine articles.

I like to balance novels and non-fiction about evenly so he is this week's non-fiction.

You'll love "Annals...", especially given your line of work. It's a weighty tome, to be certain - close to 800 pages. But it has become, over the last couple of decades, my "go-to space filler". If I'm not reading anything else, I'll re-read that. I've finished it at least half a dozen times.

Reactions: RUforester72
I just started binge watching The Walking Dead a few days ago... I'm doing it after work hours.

It's probably not the best thing to start watching during a global pandemic... but almost done season 2 and so far it's really good, and obviously crazy.

Ahh .... you'll soon get so enraged with the lack of plot development and long periods of nothing and hate watch for a few more seasons, then quit like the rest of us.

Just finished the last season of Bojack Horseman on Netflix. One of my favorites of all time, but definitely an acquired taste as it's a cartoon with anthropomorphic animals. A deep character study of depression and addiction with lots of sight gags.
-Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Hulu (make sure you've seen Die Hard first)
-The Good Place on Netflix (just aired the finale recently)
-The Boys on Amazon. Superhero parody where the heroes are corrupt

All excellent picks for different reasons. Bojack is one of my favorite shows of all time, absolutely insane how they can tackle problems like addiction and depression in a serious manner better than any TV series has ever done in one moment and having some amazing sight gags the next.

For those of us 80s kids Netflix has a couple of documentaries, "The Toys That Made Us" and "The Movies that Made Us". They are a series of shows about the making of certain toys and movies. Both fascinating and nostalgic.

You'll love "Annals...", especially given your line of work. It's a weighty tome, to be certain - close to 800 pages. But it has become, over the last couple of decades, my "go-to space filler". If I'm not reading anything else, I'll re-read that. I've finished it at least half a dozen times.

I'll put it on my list. 800 pages is less intimidating these quarantine days!!!

Any fans of Portrait art, YouTube has the first 9 episodes of Portrait Artist of the Year 2020 available. Episode 9 is the semifinals.

Some people don’t like subtitles but I’m fine with them and I absolutely love this series.

Most of the subtitles are for songs, it’s English dubbed so easy to follow. German Noir series. 1929 Berlin, Sex, nudity, violence, cops, communists, and nazi’s.

Reactions: RUforester72
Not sure how much crossover between this and the whiskey thread, but I find the Whiskey Vault guys on Youtube to be very entertaining. Each episode is about 15-20 minutes long. It's mostly reviews of different whiskeys. There is a second channel Whiskey Tribe that does comparisons and other general whiskey knowledge, but a lot of that is paid content through Patreon.

Most of the subtitles are for songs, it’s English dubbed so easy to follow. German Noir series. 1929 Berlin, Sex, nudity, violence, cops, communists, and nazi’s.
I’m watching it in German with English subtitles. I suppose I could switch to the dubbed but this is fine.

Working full time from home these days.....since the gym is closed been walking after work or on lunch. Night time either going to in the garage to work on one of the projects cars. As far as TV goes been watching my normal shows

Project Blue Book
Manifest
Bone Collector

Been catching up on McMillions when not watching the others. When none of these are not on Motor Trend TV, Discovery or History is running in the background

Anyone else out there watching Nightflyers? Just started, a bit slow but I'm staying with it.

Also previously binged Messiah, You and Good Omens

Tomorrow will be my 17th straight day of work with tomorrow being one of a formally planned days off for Round 1 of the NCAA tournament. Still sad about not seeing RU play. Sigh.
My Union and the store have eliminated mandatory days off but can not require a employee to work every day. It's my choice as things have changed drastically. No Liquor sales anywhere. Wine only available at supermarkets and special wine permit stores. Fun times ahead. No Netflix for me.

Reactions: thegock
Anyone check out rust to riches on Netflix? I just saw season 2 coming soon. The chick alone is worth it. Had to google to see if she was a real mechanic.

I'm 3 episodes into season 4 of The Sopranos and realizing that I'd forgotten how much the show fell off after season 3.

I'm 3 episodes into season 4 of The Sopranos and realizing that I'd forgotten how much the show fell off after season 3.
Plus you waited do long for the next season and you would think it was going to be so much better.

The Things they Carried.

Book on the war in Vietnam. Still very early but it's a focus on stuff the soldiers carried with them, both literally and figuratively.

Loving it so far.

As an undergrad at Rutgers I took Images of Vietnam as an elective. The Things they Carried was one of the books I read during that course.

While it was a very good book, I was also fortunate to have the opportunity to read A Rumor of War by Philip Caputo. For me, A Rumor of War is the not only the greatest war memoir I’ve ever read, but the greatest book I’ve ever read period. Caputo was a 1st Lieutenant in the Marines during Vietnam and he, along with his platoon, were in country during some of the most intense fighting. Caputo is an incredible storyteller. If I remember correctly, he received the Pulitzer Prize for A Rumor of War and not long after he received the Pulitzer he suffered a nervous breakdown. He said all of the interviews he conducted after winning the Pulitzer forced him to have to recall the traumatic events he experienced during his tour in Vietnam.

If you like The Things they Carried, then you will love A Rumor of War.

As an undergrad at Rutgers I took Images of Vietnam as an elective. The Things they Carried was one of the books I read during that course.

While it was a very good book, I was also fortunate to have the opportunity to read A Rumor of War by Philip Caputo. For me, A Rumor of War is the not only the greatest war memoir I’ve ever read, but the greatest book I’ve ever read period. Caputo was a 1st Lieutenant in the Marines during Vietnam and he, along with his platoon, were in country during some of the most intense fighting. Caputo is an incredible storyteller. If I remember correctly, he received the Pulitzer Prize for A Rumor of War and not long after he received the Pulitzer he suffered a nervous breakdown. He said all of the interviews he conducted after winning the Pulitzer forced him to have to recall the traumatic events he experienced during his tour in Vietnam.

Favorite book combined with Pulitzer and I'm hooked.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Any eligibility left? The team might need you
Lol as much as I am shooting think I can pop at least 40% from 3"s and at least 80 from foul line but have always been a real good shooter just have rotater issues that make it much tougher to repeat super consistently

Just started reading “Love and Valor”, a collection of letters between a Civil War soldier and and his wife.

Reactions: RuBird

A Rumor of War is another great book. Check out Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes and Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. Marlantes has had a similar experience to Caputo. Mason's was different but no less serious.

I think the real fall off between 4 and 5. Season 4 had some decent moments with Steve buscemi and ny family beef.
I forget what seasons Ralph and Gloria trill meet their end

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT