ADVERTISEMENT

OT- OFFICIAL 2017 YANKEES SEASON THREAD

A prospect is just that, a prospect without any assurances that he will do well at the major league level. I think back to that cover of SI that featured Paul Wilson, Jason Isringhausen and Bill Pulsipher as the new Seaver, Matlack and Koosman. We saw how that turned out. That said, I like the idea of interjecting youth into MLB team. They play with energy (usually) and an eye towards the money as a free agent. From the Yanks perspective, if its near the All-Star game and you are in the race, then you have a better perspective on the guys in your system, and how the season is going for potential trade targets.

I am torn on Frazier and another prospect for Quintana but i think i would do it, mostly because i think we are set in the OF. I believe Harper to the Yankees will happen. Judge and Harper in the corners and I really like Fowler in CF. And we have Rutherford and Mckinney. We have lots of outfield prospects. We are gearing up for 2019. Come 2019 the Yankees will be back on top. The next two years are about sorting things out with the prospects.

You guys forgot the best thing about this season - I get the YES network back!

You should have dumped Comcast and had the Yankees all along!
Gave it some thought last year once it was clear there would be no resolution coming. I was looking into it over the winter and then they announced the deal. I know lots of people hate Comcast but I have no issues with their service. Go Yanks!

Gave it some thought last year once it was clear there would be no resolution coming. I was looking into it over the winter and then they announced the deal. I know lots of people hate Comcast but I have no issues with their service. Go Yanks!
I couldnt have gone a year without the Yankees. Been with Directv since their first year in business and there is one thing that they dont mess with and thats sports content. Best sports provider in the business. Happy for all of you back in the game! Go Yankees. Enjoy!

I am torn on Frazier and another prospect for Quintana but i think i would do it, mostly because i think we are set in the OF. I believe Harper to the Yankees will happen. Judge and Harper in the corners and I really like Fowler in CF. And we have Rutherford and Mckinney. We have lots of outfield prospects. We are gearing up for 2019. Come 2019 the Yankees will be back on top. The next two years are about sorting things out with the prospects.

Not that I wouldn't want Jose Quintana as a lefty starter. But he's not worth the moon and the stars. Lifetime, he's 46-46 with the White Sox (13-13 last year) with an ERA of 3.41 (3.20 last year). He averages about 175 strikeouts and a little over 200 innings pitched the last four seasons. So he'd be good to have in that #3 or #4 slot.

But that's not #1 or even #2 slotted pitching in your rotation. He'd be valuable as a starter who eats innings and allows the bullpen to hold leads or at least leave them in position to overcome small deficits. That's valuable, especially with a line-up expected to produce better offensive results than fans have seen in awhile. Having him beyond this season when the Yankees aren't expected to contend is valuable. But a boatload-of-prospects-valuable? Not sure about that. There are other fish in the sea to free up by July or 2018. You may need some of those prospects to complete deals.

Prospects are always a crapshoot - their first season, or even if they're brought up for the last couple of months of a season, are just an indicator of potential. You have no idea how their body will hold up to the rigors of a whole season, off season conditioning, then the next season. There's also the mental toll. Some just can't handle success, fame, money. Some can't handle when things go south.
Yankees inflicted onerous luxury taxes on themselves for the longest time now. Rules state that if you are under the max limit for one season, the luxury tax "re-sets" to a lower percentage if you go over it in the future. For 2017, teams pay luxury tax when they are over $189 million. Believe Yanks payroll currently is down to around $200 million with $45-$50 million coming off the books on Sabathia and Rodriguez contracts that expire after this season.
I didn't know that about the tax resetting. How many years have the Yankees been over? I'm surprised they didn't try to do some fancy accounting and get ARod's salary shifted to the administrative side.

I didn't know that about the tax resetting. How many years have the Yankees been over? I'm surprised they didn't try to do some fancy accounting and get ARod's salary shifted to the administrative side.
This reminds me of the Mets and Bobby Bonilla. They have to pay him $1.19 million in July...and do so again every year until 2035. Absolutely unreal.

Can't use accounting techiniques for A-Rod's contract to go around the luxury tax. Since 2003 when it started, the Yankees have never been under the luxury tax. Overall, they have paid $297 million to MLB in tax money.

From Fangraphs.com:
http://www.fangraphs.com/library/business/luxury-tax/

"From 2012 through 2016, teams who exceed the threshold for the first time must pay 17.5% of the amount they are over, 30% for the second consecutive year over, 40% for the third consecutive year over, and 50% for four or more consecutive years over the cap."

Not that I wouldn't want Jose Quintana as a lefty starter. But he's not worth the moon and the stars. Lifetime, he's 46-46 with the White Sox (13-13 last year) with an ERA of 3.41 (3.20 last year). He averages about 175 strikeouts and a little over 200 innings pitched the last four seasons. So he'd be good to have in that #3 or #4 slot.

But that's not #1 or even #2 slotted pitching in your rotation. He'd be valuable as a starter who eats innings and allows the bullpen to hold leads or at least leave them in position to overcome small deficits. That's valuable, especially with a line-up expected to produce better offensive results than fans have seen in awhile. Having him beyond this season when the Yankees aren't expected to contend is valuable. But a boatload-of-prospects-valuable? Not sure about that. There are other fish in the sea to free up by July or 2018. You may need some of those prospects to complete deals.
The White Sox were worse than the Yanks last year, hence their dumping of everyone and their mother at the trade deadline. Quintana, although a number 3 on a good rotation, has 4 YEARS of team control at 7, 8, 10 and 10 million dollars. That's significant value and is important to consider and that's why the Sox will ask for a lot. I agree they shouldn't offer too much, but they should definitely be active.

If they resign Tanaka at the end of the season and he stays healthy, you can see a rotation of Tanaka and Karprielian as a 1,2 then other prospects like Sheffield and Montgomery filling out the back end. With Quintana, you are not very far away from having a top of the line rotation all during everyone's prime years. I'm pretty sure this is Cashman's vision and only needs a few years to materialize.

Reactions: RutgHoops
By the way, Tanaka is getting lit up today as I type this. Erratic control and a stupidly small left field fence have doomed him from the start.

That great spring training is meaningless now. I'm a life long Yankee fan, but not optimistic this year. Starting pitching is awful, hitting mediocre at best, little team speed, average at best offens, and the Steinbrenner kids won't eat bad contracts (Ellsbury, Gardner) like George used to.

Ellsbury is a horrendous contract, Gardner's isn't. If a kid is ready, he'll be traded at the end of the season.

I think the Yanks are a .500 team this year and will have good and bad streaks. It's all irrelevant because young kid playing time is the key. Watch out in 2019 when it all comes together.

This reminds me of the Mets and Bobby Bonilla. They have to pay him $1.19 million in July...and do so again every year until 2035. Absolutely unreal.

That's not a unique situation. There are tons of similar contracts out there.
Hell Albert Pujols will get $10 million per year for 10 years after 2022.

If I recall, instead of giving Bonilla one whopping contract, he negotiated to take it in smaller sums for a long period of his life. Normally, the Mets could put that large sum aside, invest it, and some or all of those earnings could be paid to Bonilla yearly. In the end, the Mets go reclaim the original principal - or a good portion of it.

Of course, nobody counted on the Mets owner to trust their money with Bernie Madoff soooooooooooooooooo............

Reactions: WhiteBus
If I recall, instead of giving Bonilla one whopping contract, he negotiated to take it in smaller sums for a long period of his life. Normally, the Mets could put that large sum aside, invest it, and some or all of those earnings could be paid to Bonilla yearly. In the end, the Mets go reclaim the original principal - or a good portion of it.

Of course, nobody counted on the Mets owner to trust their money with Bernie Madoff soooooooooooooooooo............
I read something similar to this in that by the Mets spreading it out this way they were actually saving money. I'm assuming they weren't planning on a high amount of public ridicule however and probably would have paid it quicker if they had known, lol.

I understand why most teams have the day off after the home opener in case of bad weather. They want the ability to keep options open for the biggest crowd of the year. But I dont understand why the Yankees arent playing today. Tampa plays in that stupid ugly dome.

I understand why most teams have the day off after the home opener in case of bad weather. They want the ability to keep options open for the biggest crowd of the year. But I dont understand why the Yankees arent playing today. Tampa plays in that stupid ugly dome.

Yankees play at Baltimore this Friday. Whether the Yankees open with Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, it makes no difference. It's a three game series to be finished by Friday when they play the O's -- can't move up the next series by finishing early.

I hope you don't bitch when KBee goes to wreck your Mets thread again. You'll deserve it this time.
dwight-meme-im-shaking-in-my-boots-false.jpg

Nice win by Yankees. CC looked great. A lot of talk about time spent with Andy Pettitte this spring.
Funny scene at home plate after Torreyes hits a bomb home run. He is greated by Judge who is a foot taller and 130lbs bigger. It looked like a father greating his little league son.

Nice win by Yankees. CC looked great. A lot of talk about time spent with Andy Pettitte this spring.
Funny scene at home plate after Torreyes hits a bomb home run. He is greated by Judge who is a foot taller and 130lbs bigger. It looked like a father greating his little league son.

05back.jpg

Reactions: WhiteBus
Tanaka gets tattooed, Sabathia pitches effectively.
6'7" Judge greets little Ronald Torreyes at home plate after his home run.

Ya know, Suzanne... you -- and I sound like a broken record... or... or should I say broken computer application, whatever the kids call it these days... I suppose -- anyway...you just can't predict baseball.

Reactions: Rhuarc and WhiteBus
Bob Cerv passed today. Yes I heard of him. Was at many old timers games.

That was a tough loss no doubt.

They will still take 2 out of 3 though, they are the better team than the O's.

I'm a big Yankee fan, but a realistic fan, and no, the Yankees are not better than Baltimore in almost any facet of the game.

They will finish near last, but maybe not dead last. Awful starting pitching, poor hitting, slow and below average defense.
Only the back end of their relief pitching is good.

IF only the Steinbrenner kids would sell to Mark Cuban .

I'm a big Yankee fan, but a realistic fan, and no, the Yankees are not better than Baltimore in almost any facet of the game.

They will finish near last, but maybe not dead last. Awful starting pitching, poor hitting, slow and below average defense.
Only the back end of their relief pitching is good.

IF only the Steinbrenner kids would sell to Mark Cuban .
A little early to throw in the towel?

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT