ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official Mets Hot Stove Talk

tico brown

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005
Let the offseason talk begin for the Mets.

So far I'm ok with the new coaches/ manager. Could be worse. Let's see what happens with the players.

I would also say lets not take this thread into a dumpster fire with all the B.S. but you know it will get there sooner or later.

60 million came off the payroll. Would love to see Martinez or Bruce in right. Moustakis at 3rd and maybe Wade Davis. Knowing our Mets they will try to do it on the cheap. MAybe Nunez for 3rd and Cain in the outfield. also think they said they want an innings eating sp so we will see where they go with that.

Find a legit Catcher - waive Wright & Harvey.

I'd see what the Yankees want for Romine.

60 million came off the payroll. Would love to see Martinez or Bruce in right. Moustakis at 3rd and maybe Wade Davis. Knowing our Mets they will try to do it on the cheap. MAybe Nunez for 3rd and Cain in the outfield. also think they said they want an innings eating sp so we will see where they go with that.

Wait......you're actually OK with the Mets attempting to buy a championship ?
Aren't they one of the "build from within" teams ?

Cabrera is coming back, option picked up for 8.5mil.

I’m ok with this...although he’s a bit of a primadonna and he’s certainly not gettin any younger.

Not a fan of Bruce but I wouldn’t be opposed to it. I don’t think he wants to come back though.

I was a big proponent of getting Cespedes and keeping him afterwards. Now, I really wish someone would take him away.

Cabrera is coming back, option picked up for 8.5mil.
Cabrera was the one player that requested a trade, and of course wasn't,lol.
giphy.gif

If David was really thinking of what's best for the Mets,he'd ride off into the sunset, come back every Old Timer's Game, and get a standing O. I'd try and sign Frazier, maybe give Travis one more year,since he came on towards the end of the season. Hopefully Conforto and Cespedes can stay healthy, and Rosario is the real deal. Not sold on Dominic Smith, I feel he's going to be fat, and have all kinds of leg issues. The pitching,who the fu@k knows.Things have to break right for this team to win more than 85 games as it stands right now.

Agreed on Wright. Frazier scares me after watching his at-bats in the playoffs.

I like Hosmer but blocked by Smith.

All pointless for next year if Conforto, Cespedes, and the arms are injured.

Let the offseason talk begin for the Mets.

So far I'm ok with the new coaches/ manager. Could be worse. Let's see what happens with the players.

I would also say lets not take this thread into a dumpster fire with all the B.S. but you know it will get there sooner or later.
Biggest needs, in order:

1. New owner
2. New medical staff
3. New GM
4. New bullpen
5. New position players, almost all of them
6. 2-3 new starters

Good luck in 2018! :)

Cabrera option being picked up you could see coming a mile away. Now they’re leaking that they may bring but Reyes as well. I’m fine with both moves. Not going to find much better veteran production for $8.5 mill. Reyes coming back as an all around UTIL INF is fine. 3b [check mark].

2b will be interesting. I think Flores and TJ Rivera have used up their chances as far as starting. TJ will be in the minors, along with Cheechini who they don’t seem to believe in. Flores will be on the bench along with most likely Reyes. Trading for Dee Gordon wouldn’t be a terrible move. 2b [TBD].

Catcher. They will not making any changes here. I can almost guarantee it. Catching offensive production around the majors, absolutely sucks. Even with the juiced baseball. A Plawecki/TDA split time is totally acceptable as far as I’m concerned. They both came on in the 2nd half big time- I’m hopeful in plawecki more then ever. He definitely improved. Not going to find much better value in the production TDA/Plaw provide, for how much it will cost to bring in another option. Catcher [check mark]

Pitcher. No they’re not going to just waive Harvey (or David Wright for that matter). The guy was one of the best pitchers in baseball. The arbitration raise he will see is still low enough (he’ll get around $8 mill I think), that if he ever regains some semblance of previous form, even pitching to a ~3.5 to 4.00 ERA, is ridiculously good value. I think he gets at least one more season in a Mets uni. Lots of options for starting pitching on the market. Cobb, Lynn, Dickey, Bartolo off the top of my mind. Noah, deGrom, Matz, Harvey, Montero, Lugo, free agent or 2. Many options for rotation. Pitching pitching pitching. Ya can never have enough pitching. [TBD]

Bullpen. I think mostly what you see is what you get. Maybe a Reed, McGee, Holland etc etc is brought in. I doubt it. Sandy brought in a lot of BP guys during the trade deadline. One or 2 of Wheeler, Lugo, Gsellman will start the season in the pen as well. I think wheeler will kill it out of the pen. Shit can every pitch but fastball and curveball. I’m game. He doesn’t have much else of a choice, he’s not starter. Familia, Ramos, Blevins, Sewald, Wheeler, Bradford, Callaway, Rhame, etc. I’ve seen enough of Robles and Goeddel. They’re out. [TBD]

Center field is set in stone. Lagares/Nimmo platoon. Hopefully they stay healthy. Hopefully
-everyone- stays healthy. I’m concerned regarding the long term prospects of Conforto. I’m afraid this shoulder crap will sap his power. Such “Mets” a turn of events....

This is a huge offseason for Sandy. He literally has to nail every single move/trade he makes and pray the star players stay healthy for this team to have a chance at the playoffs.

In the end the Mets are cheap. I know it, you know it, they know it. They want to lower payroll again. SMH. We’ll see what happens...

Sorry for the long post. I don’t mess around when it comes to the Mets :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Once again, the Yankees declare victory. I started the Yankees thread 18 minutes before this one. First place!

Stop trying to be like the Yankeed...try developing a farm system. All their personnel decisions generally suck

Do not count on the Mets reinvesting that $60 mill. They've already said they won't, at least not all of it.

Last year the Mets had a preseason budget set which contemplated re-signing Cespedes. However, it did not contemplate Walker (whom they never expected to accept the qualifying offer) and Bruce (whom they thought they'd unload in preseason). As a result, signing Cespedes put them about $20 million over budget. The Wilpons approved this on a one-time basis, but made it clear that this was not the new baseline.

Reactions: FastMJ
Find a legit Catcher - waive Wright & Harvey.

I'd see what the Yankees want for Romine.
Waiving Wright is not happening. He will retire or not retire on his own terms.

Waiving Harvey could happen. He will be offered arbitration, but under arbitration rules he can be cut by a certain date prior to the start of the season, and the Mets would be responsible for only a small portion of his salary.

Rightly or wrongly, catcher is the least of the Mets concerns. They are going with d'Arnaud and Plawecki.

Cabrera option being picked up you could see coming a mile away. Now they’re leaking that they may bring but Reyes as well. I’m fine with both moves. Not going to find much better veteran production for $8.5 mill. Reyes coming back as an all around UTIL INF is fine. 3b [check mark].

2b will be interesting. I think Flores and TJ Rivera have used up their chances as far as starting. TJ will be in the minors, along with Cheechini who they don’t seem to believe in. Flores will be on the bench along with most likely Reyes. Trading for Dee Gordon wouldn’t be a terrible move. 2b [TBD].

Catcher. They will not making any changes here. I can almost guarantee it. Catching offensive production around the majors, absolutely sucks. Even with the juiced baseball. A Plawecki/TDA split time is totally acceptable as far as I’m concerned. They both came on in the 2nd half big time- I’m hopeful in plawecki more then ever. He definitely improved. Not going to find much better value in the production TDA/Plaw provide, for how much it will cost to bring in another option. Catcher [check mark]

Pitcher. No they’re not going to just waive Harvey (or David Wright for that matter). The guy was one of the best pitchers in baseball. The arbitration raise he will see is still low enough (he’ll get around $8 mill I think), that if he ever regains some semblance of previous form, even pitching to a ~3.5 to 4.00 ERA, is ridiculously good value. I think he gets at least one more season in a Mets uni. Lots of options for starting pitching on the market. Cobb, Lynn, Dickey, Bartolo off the top of my mind. Noah, deGrom, Matz, Harvey, Montero, Lugo, free agent or 2. Many options for rotation. Pitching pitching pitching. Ya can never have enough pitching. [TBD]

Bullpen. I think mostly what you see is what you get. Maybe a Reed, McGee, Holland etc etc is brought in. I doubt it. Sandy brought in a lot of BP guys during the trade deadline. One or 2 of Wheeler, Lugo, Gsellman will start the season in the pen as well. I think wheeler will kill it out of the pen. Shit can every pitch but fastball and curveball. I’m game. He doesn’t have much else of a choice, he’s not starter. Familia, Ramos, Blevins, Sewald, Wheeler, Bradford, Callaway, Rhame, etc. I’ve seen enough of Robles and Goeddel. They’re out. [TBD]

Center field is set in stone. Lagares/Nimmo platoon. Hopefully they stay healthy. Hopefully
-everyone- stays healthy. I’m concerned regarding the long term prospects of Conforto. I’m afraid this shoulder crap will sap his power. Such “Mets” a turn of events....

This is a huge offseason for Sandy. He literally has to nail every single move/trade he makes and pray the star players stay healthy for this team to have a chance at the playoffs.

In the end the Mets are cheap. I know it, you know it, they know it. They want to lower payroll again. SMH. We’ll see what happens...

Sorry for the long post. I don’t mess around when it comes to the Mets :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I mostly agree with this. However, I do not think center field is set in stone. Mets need to decide whether Conforto is the long term answer there. If they think he is, maybe they go after Bruce or someone similar for RF. If not, maybe they go after someone like Cain for CF. Either way, I think Lagares and Nimmo could be relegated to the 4-5 outfield role.

EDIT: One other thought - TJ Rivera had TJ surgery and is out of the conversation for awhile. Do not be surprised if the 2B is none other than Neil Walker, on a one year contract which he signs in February after watching his other options dry up.

Last edited:
Reactions: FastMJ and ntlrock1
Spoiler alert. They will overpay for people no one wants who were mediocre 3 years ago

I don’t think they see Conforto in CF long term. He can play there in a pinch. But he’s a corner OF. It’s better for defensive purposes, and also better for him as well. Better business having your star player in a lower profile defensive role IMO. I believe this is what they are thinking. They might bring back Bruce anyway, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: FastMJ
Just checking,but didn't you complain about me posting in the Yankees thread? I told you it was because I spent 2 seasons watching the likes of you and a couple other of your minions do so, and here you are at it again. Lmao.
Not sure, but I think it was someone else complaining about you posting in the NYY thread. It's fun to post in the other team's thread! :)

Well you seem to be ok with making an ass out of yourself on these forums on a regular basis.

Well, you didn't answer my question
Instead you called me a name. Ow ! That hurts so much.
It's OK. I don't really mind your name-calling....such as it is.
And I already know the answer to my question.
So....it's all good.

Well, you didn't answer my question
Instead you called me a name. Ow ! That hurts so much.
It's OK. I don't really mind your name-calling....such as it is.
And I already know the answer to my question.
So....it's all good.
Reread my post. I did not call you an ass, I pointed out that you were again acting like one. There is a difference. But yea it is all good and you are still wrong on the question you presented. The real question is as a Yankee fan why do you feel the need to post in a Met forum. I have my suspicions but perhaps you could enlighten us.

Reread my post. I did not call you an ass, I pointed out that you were again acting like one. There is a difference. But yea it is all good and you are still wrong on the question you presented. The real question is as a Yankee fan why do you feel the need to post in a Met forum. I have my suspicions but perhaps you could enlighten us.

I post in all baseball threads. I love baseball.
And,as I've said in any number of threads here, I've been exchanging opinions with Mets fans since 1962. It's great fun....especially when the Mets are doing so well.

Back to topic. (Which I never left, thanks to the Ignore button.)

Gary DiSarcina has reportedly been appointed as bench coach, which is a very important position when you appoint a pitching coach as manager. Former bench coach in Boston, with minor league managerial experience. Excellent choice IMO.

The free agency bazaar opens today. I don't expect any big news from the Mets anytime soon. I expect Sandy to "monitor the market", i.e., wait and see what turns up on the sale rack.

Biggest needs, in order:

1. New owner
2. New medical staff
3. New GM
4. New bullpen
5. New position players, almost all of them
6. 2-3 new starters

Good luck in 2018! :)

I'm a huge Mets fan, but sadly it begins and ends with your No. 1. Until the Wilpon's are gone, the Mets will languish. They are the worst owners in baseball IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT