ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official Mets Hot Stove Talk

The courts just released close to 700 million to Madoff victims, hopefully the Wilpons got some of their money back and can start to spend on baseball again

Reactions: FastMJ
The courts just released close to 700 million to Madoff victims, hopefully the Wilpons got some of their money back and can start to spend on baseball again

ummmm- they did not lose money with Madoff so they get no money back. they made a ton of money and that is what is being used to pay back the people that actually lost.

The entire half hour show was an interview with new manager Callaway. So far I am impressed with him. Seems like a very prepared and personable guy.

Reactions: tico brown
I'm a huge Mets fan, but sadly it begins and ends with your No. 1. Until the Wilpon's are gone, the Mets will languish. They are the worst owners in baseball IMHO.
This is very important to point out. I'm a big Redskins fan and once Snyder showed his general incompetence with running the franchise, I gave up all hopes of winning another Super Bowl in my lifetime as he's the owner. Bad ownership is a total success killer and makes nobody want to play there.

Reactions: AntiG
This is very important to point out. I'm a big Redskins fan and once Snyder showed his general incompetence with running the franchise, I gave up all hopes of winning another Super Bowl in my lifetime as he's the owner. Bad ownership is a total success killer and makes nobody want to play there.
As a 49ers fan for over 30 years, I wholeheartedly agree. I got to the the heights of the franchise and then watched the downfall of the franchise once Eddie D had to give up the franchise to his sister who just didn't care and wanted to run everything on the cheap, and then when their idiot son took over, he got rid of Harbaugh due to personal beef with Jim after he kicked him out of the lockerroom when trying to meddle.

ummmm- they did not lose money with Madoff so they get no money back. they made a ton of money and that is what is being used to pay back the people that actually lost.

This isn’t accurate from what ive read. Some accounts made money, 162 million or so. They lost 170+ in other accounts, so they may be entitled to a portion of the 10+ mill or so they lost

Its is amazing (pun intended) with a window with our pitchers closing that the Wilpons want to spend less money than last year. You would never know from their spending that they are in the largest media market in the country. I guess they are satisfied with a World Series appearance once every 15 years.

The reason the Wilpons want to spend less than last year, is that last year they spent more than they wanted to. They never expected Walker to accept his qualifying offer. Nor did they expect Bruce to be on the roster - they thought they'd unload him in preseason. So, signing Cespedes put them way over budget. The Wilpons made it clear to Alderson that they were not creating a new budgetary baseline - the 2017 budget was going back down to "normal" level.

I offer this by way of explanation, not excuse.

What's the deal with Willie Randolph? I can't believe he hasn't come up in any openings for manager again. I'm guessing his melt down with the NY Mets media, and his "ever so slight" hint that they were criticizing his managerial skills because of his color has come back to bite him. I always thought he got the most he could out of those Mets teams.With the names the Yankees are throwing around, and not that I give a shit about them, I think Willie would be a perfect fit for them.

The reason the Wilpons want to spend less than last year, is that last year they spent more than they wanted to. They never expected Walker to accept his qualifying offer. Nor did they expect Bruce to be on the roster - they thought they'd unload him in preseason. So, signing Cespedes put them way over budget. The Wilpons made it clear to Alderson that they were not creating a new budgetary baseline - the 2017 budget was going back down to "normal" level.

I offer this by way of explanation, not excuse.
I agree with your analysis. I just hate that they want to keep the budget lower than what is needed to really contend. I do not think Smith is the 1B nor do I think Wright will ever be healthy again. Yet they do not appear to want to bid on the two KC players who could help immensely. Wade Davis would also make sense in the pen but they will never give him the money. Familia is a free agent after this year so that could be insurance if he leaves. Alderson acts like he is still working in Oakland or San Diego. I get that he does not have final say but this team's refusal to spend when they have a chance to contend is silly.

Mets Hot Stove on SNY at 6pm tonight.

Maybe they will talk more about the new coaching staff announced yesterday.

Its is amazing (pun intended) with a window with our pitchers closing that the Wilpons want to spend less money than last year. You would never know from their spending that they are in the largest media market in the country. I guess they are satisfied with a World Series appearance once every 15 years.
I think the "window closing" argument is overstated. DeGrom is not eligible for free agency until 2021, and Syndergaard not until 2022.

I think the "window closing" argument is overstated. DeGrom is not eligible for free agency until 2021, and Syndergaard not until 2022.
Maybe but Harvey and Familia are FA after this year. Knowing the Mets luck, Harvey will be their only healthy starter this year and return to form.

I go back and forth on the window closing argument. I guess if the Giants can win a ring with one pitcher (Bumgarner), anything is feasible if deGrom and Syndergaard are healthy. One thing for certain, the Big 5 pipe-dream is over.

Reviewing some big names on the FA list:

1) Hosmer / 1B
2) Martinez / RF
3) Otani / SP
4) Cain / CF
5) Moustakas / 3B
6) Santana / 1B
7) Davis or Holland / Closer
8) Morrow or Shaw / RP
9) Arrieta / SP
10) Bruce / OF

With more holes than you can count (1B, 3B, CF, 2B, RP, etc.) will be interesting to see which holes they can plug via FA. Hosmer, Martinez, Moustakas, Arrieta, Davis/Holland, etc. isn't going to happen. Would love to get Cain, Santana, Shaw, another RP - and trade for a 2B. Being stuck in a permanent holding pattern with Wright is getting more annoying by the year. At least it sounds like they are seriously looking for an upgrade over Smith - didn't think they had it in them.

Conforto should start swinging the bat late January and could be ready for spring training

Just as we went from really good or at least pretty good the Mets have fallen just as precipitously. It happened because of bad luck bad management and bad choices.I am not optimistic.

Just as we went from really good or at least pretty good the Mets have fallen just as precipitously. It happened because of bad luck bad management and bad choices.I am not optimistic.
Bad management: POINT, BLANK, PERIOD.

-Bad management decided to keep the same horrid pitching coach and manager at least 3 years too long.
-Bad management decided to keep the same S/C And training staffs a long time after there were evidence of multiple injuries to multiple players at multiple times with the same staffs at least since 2009.
-Bad management who were greedy bastards and wanted more money by any means necessary got caught up in the biggest Ponzi scheme in history and it has cost the Mets many years of chances to compete.
As bad management have decided to do absolutely nothing as far as improvng this team despite having added revenue from opening up Citi Field to become a temporary golf driving range, having this years NHL Winter Classic, shedding payroll down to $71 Million and raising ticket prices for the 2018 season.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Bad management: POINT, BLANK, PERIOD.

-Bad management decided to keep the same horrid pitching coach and manager at least 3 years too long.
-Bad management decided to keep the same S/C And training staffs a long time after there were evidence of multiple injuries to multiple players at multiple times with the same staffs at least since 2009.
-Bad management who were greedy bastards and wanted more money by any means necessary got caught up in the biggest Ponzi scheme in history and it has cost the Mets many years of chances to compete.
As bad management have decided to do absolutely nothing as far as improvng this team despite having added revenue from opening up Citi Field to become a temporary golf driving range, having this years NHL Winter Classic, shedding payroll down to $71 Million and raising ticket prices for the 2018 season.
Blaming the Wilpons for Bernie madoff is trash. He fooled federal investigators all of Wall Street and a large segment of Jewish New York

Blaming the Wilpons for Bernie madoff is trash. He fooled federal investigators all of Wall Street and a large segment of Jewish New York

True, but that doesn't change the fact that the Wilpon's SUCK! As a Mets fan I desperately wish they'd sell the team to a driven owner who actually is willing to spend to field a championship team.

This thread should be named the Mets Warmed Over Leftovers Talk.
Yankees get Giancarlo Stanton. Mets are considering pursuing Adrian Gonzalez.
[poop][poop][poop][poop][poop][poop]
https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-reportedly-considering-1b-gonzalez/263749446
Limited to 71 games last season, Gonzalez hit .242 with three home runs and 30 RBIs for the Dodgers. He is set to earn $22.4 million in 2018. As a starter in 2016, Gonzalez hit .285 with 18 home runs and 90 RBIs in 156 games.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Limited to 71 games last season, Gonzalez hit .242 with three home runs and 30 RBIs for the Dodgers. He is set to earn $22.4 million in 2018. As a starter in 2016, Gonzalez hit .285 with 18 home runs and 90 RBIs in 156 games.
For I hope miniumum salary Jesus if not

Reactions: Knight Shift
Can they let Smith play a full season and see what he is. Imagine if the Yanks gave up on Judge after his prior stint. I am not suggesting Smith is Judge by any means but you have to give the kid a chance.

He fooled anyone greedy enough to believe that stable double digit returns over long periods of time are a given. Anyone that fell for that should be blaming themselves for their greed that caused them to be deaf, dumb, and blind.

He fooled anyone greedy enough to believe that stable double digit returns over long periods of time are a given. Anyone that fell for that should be blaming themselves for their greed that caused them to be deaf, dumb, and blind.
according to formerlyknowasrutgers100 he only fooled a large amount of us jewish folks. A$$hole

And to pour Tequilla onto the open wounds of Mets fans, they have extended Sandy Alderson's contract by two years.

Check out @Mets’s Tweet:

And to pour Tequilla onto the open wounds of Mets fans, they have extended Sandy Alderson's contract by two years.

Check out @Mets’s Tweet:
200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT