ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ongoing Golf Thread

I think the online stuff is great but if you are starting, invest in some lessons from a pro. You would never believe how important things like the grip, setup and takeaway is. Those are things a pro can identify and fix very quickly. Video may show you how to do things but people often just don't get it right.

If you work it I don't think its very hard to break 90 but you need professional help to get you there-- to set the foundational stuff. I tried it myself for years. Started taking lessons and am now an 11. Played like crap for the last 3 or 4 rounds (90+) after shooting my all time low score of 74 3 weeks ago. I have a lesson tomorrow because I have no clue what I am doing wrong.
Good advice...golf is one of those games that just when you think you have it figured out, a bad habit creeps in and it's frustration time:)!. I take lessons about 4-5 times a year and found a good teacher who focuses on basics and doesn't complicate things (it works for me). She was a club pro in SC, but got married had kids and now does lessons at a public course in PA. Find the teacher that fits your personality and how you process information.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I think the online stuff is great but if you are starting, invest in some lessons from a pro. You would never believe how important things like the grip, setup and takeaway is. Those are things a pro can identify and fix very quickly. Video may show you how to do things but people often just don't get it right.

If you work it I don't think its very hard to break 90 but you need professional help to get you there-- to set the foundational stuff. I tried it myself for years. Started taking lessons and am now an 11. Played like crap for the last 3 or 4 rounds (90+) after shooting my all time low score of 74 3 weeks ago. I have a lesson tomorrow because I have no clue what I am doing wrong.

Yeah I started out with 5 lessons from a pro before I signed up for the online site. I'll probably still take a lesson every couple months or so.

I am in a BRUTAL rutt right now. I'll be playing along pretty well for me, 40-42 on the front, keeping that pace on the back 9... then WHAM! Suddenly start hitting flairs to right, foul balls that would scatter the first base dugout, wedges that go 160 yards no more than 5 feet off the ground...

The wedges I can deal with, but the others are all in my friggin head. I either lock my wrists at the top of my back swing or get too loose on the top. Its maddening. Playing this past Saturday, 41 on the front (with a double), and 3 over on the back through 6 holes... 100 yards from the green on 16, hit the flair into the water.. Next hole, hit a HR around Pesky Pole ( Fenway reference) into the water again.. 18 was no better after a decent drive. UGH.

I am in a BRUTAL rutt right now. I'll be playing along pretty well for me, 40-42 on the front, keeping that pace on the back 9... then WHAM! Suddenly start hitting flairs to right, foul balls that would scatter the first base dugout, wedges that go 160 yards no more than 5 feet off the ground...

The wedges I can deal with, but the others are all in my friggin head. I either lock my wrists at the top of my back swing or get too loose on the top. Its maddening. Playing this past Saturday, 41 on the front (with a double), and 3 over on the back through 6 holes... 100 yards from the green on 16, hit the flair into the water.. Next hole, hit a HR around Pesky Pole ( Fenway reference) into the water again.. 18 was no better after a decent drive. UGH.
sounds like fatigue more than anything.

take it from a self taught golfer, go get professional lessons. Guys I play with that made real improvements all took lessons. The guys that don't take lesson (me included) could have a great season followed by a WTF season. The example above about hitting down is perfect. I was given that tip and it helped with less thin or topping shots. But the downside is I developed an over the top move that took years to correct.
I would agree with this. The best thing I’ve gotten from lessons is a fundamental understanding of the golf swing. When things are sideways, I have tools to fix it.

Have we snuck any closer to the goal of <80?

Shot 82 at Bel Air a couple of weeks ago and 81 at Annandale Sat. Getting closer! Now if I can get consistent. Short game has gotten much better including putting. Thanks for asking!

The inconsistency of golf drives me crazy. Last week, started off triple, triple, double, then even par the next 6 holes, for a 44 front. Getting out of position on holes then scrambling and making it worse.I need to figure out the mental part of the game. Anyone have tips on the mental side? Lose my focus way too often.

Also, what do you think of when you are setting up over the ball? Anyone have a good preshot routine that has helped that they want to share?

The inconsistency of golf drives me crazy. Last week, started off triple, triple, double, then even par the next 6 holes, for a 44 front. Getting out of position on holes then scrambling and making it worse.I need to figure out the mental part of the game. Anyone have tips on the mental side? Lose my focus way too often.

Also, what do you think of when you are setting up over the ball? Anyone have a good preshot routine that has helped that they want to share?
Depends where your problem lies. I played with a buddy who is just about a scratch golfer and he maybe took his driver out 3 times in the round. He knew the risk reward and his 4 iron was longer than my driver anyway. Point being, if you're having trouble off the tee, put away the driver and hit a club you're most comfortable with. A 350-375 yard par 4 can still be reached in 2 without a driver. Even if you're on in 3, still putting for par. That beats scrambling out of the woods or in the water or OB.

take it from a self taught golfer, go get professional lessons. Guys I play with that made real improvements all took lessons. The guys that don't take lesson (me included) could have a great season followed by a WTF season. The example above about hitting down is perfect. I was given that tip and it helped with less thin or topping shots. But the downside is I developed an over the top move that took years to correct.

I took lessons from a pro before I started to play. He said to me: "If you don't learn anything else from me, just remember to hit down and turn your hips!" Of course I did neither the following year. I equated turning my hips with pivoting my back foot, which meant that I wasn't turning my hips. I was paired up with a scratch golfer a few months ago who turned my game around by advising me to touch my chin on my lead shoulder during the takeaway and to touch my chin on my rear shoulder on the follow through. It's near impossible not to turn your hips when you follow that practice.

I am scheduling lessons starting next week with the club pro at the Knoll.

This may help, especially if you practice meditation:

41F7J+SRU0L._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I’d also recommend the Fundamentals of Golf by Ben Hogan. That book was really helpful.

Body rotation is key to a good swing from what I can tell. Guys who hit it poorly don’t rotate and use arms. Guys that do rotate really well and their arms stay out of it.

Good advice...golf is one of those games that just when you think you have it figured out, a bad habit creeps in and it's frustration time:)!. I take lessons about 4-5 times a year and found a good teacher who focuses on basics and doesn't complicate things (it works for me). She was a club pro in SC, but got married had kids and now does lessons at a public course in PA. Find the teacher that fits your personality and how you process information.

“I don’t want to start from scratch. Just work with what I have.”

That’s always been my instructions to the pro before each golf lesson.

Since there is a good chance we may not have much in the way of college and professional sports due to the Covid 19 Virus, we might as well have an ongoing thread about Golf. Topics can include discussions on what courses do you play, types of clubs, PGA play, favorite Youtube instructors, etc.

I'm in my 60s and started playing 2 years ago and I am now addicted to the game. When I'm on the course, I only think about my game, and no other stressing events in my life. Up until this week I was playing with 20 year old clubs that a client's widow gave to me. I just purchased Taylor-Made M2 Irons and Rescue Woods from Dicks. I live in Parsippany and therefore joined the Knoll, which is owned by the Township, for 50% membership fee reduction.
AHA,another victim. I f you haven't had much frustration in your life ,you have just made the decision that will enable you to have as much as you want.Spend some money. Take lessons from a Pro.THEN,you will have a better chance of enjoying the game more.Good luck to you.(I am writing this before I have read any other responses)

Reactions: BigWill and batts

I'll offer to tell you what's wrong. You are trying to play GOLF well. One of the most satisfying games.There's no better feeling than hitting the ball on the SWEET SPOT,but at the same time one of the most frustrating.

Reactions: BigWill
I sure someone told you 1-6 are the original Tillinghast design then the course changes. My favorite holes were 1, 6, 11, 13, and 17. 18 is nice but when your memories of it is carrying 2 bags that weigh more than you up that hill....
Been there,done that. I caddied when I was 14 at WEEQUAHIC G.C, Essex County Park System.9 hole course. Started out carrying double. Gave one bag away for the second round.I was as skinny as a 5 iron.

Reactions: knightfan7

Sounds like you are forgetting to lock your arms during the swing.

The popularity of golf has waned.
I kind of tracked the popularity of two sports: tennis and golf.
I remember tennis was very popular in the 70s and 80s. The main reason was Connors and McEnroe and the baby boomers. You could not find courts.
Golf became very popular in the 90s and 2000s. Why? Greg Norman and Tiger Woods and Baby Boomers.
Now the baby boomers are getting old and young people are not taking up golf. The only savior for golf are Asians. Golf will become an Asian sport soon. They need one breakout Asian star for that to happen.

The popularity of golf has waned.
I kind of tracked the popularity of two sports: tennis and golf.
I remember tennis was very popular in the 70s and 80s. The main reason was Connors and McEnroe and the baby boomers. You could not find courts.
Golf became very popular in the 90s and 2000s. Why? Greg Norman and Tiger Woods and Baby Boomers.
Now the baby boomers are getting old and young people are not taking up golf. The only savior for golf are Asians. Golf will become an Asian sport soon. They need one breakout Asian star for that to happen.
You mean one more successful than Tiger Woods?

Depends where your problem lies. I played with a buddy who is just about a scratch golfer and he maybe took his driver out 3 times in the round. He knew the risk reward and his 4 iron was longer than my driver anyway. Point being, if you're having trouble off the tee, put away the driver and hit a club you're most comfortable with. A 350-375 yard par 4 can still be reached in 2 without a driver. Even if you're on in 3, still putting for par. That beats scrambling out of the woods or in the water or OB.

I rarely use my driver now, my course is on the short side and my 3 wood is more accurate and not much shorter than my driver. I've tried to be smarter, no longer reaching for the long shot into the green when i need to hit it perfect to get on, content with putting it in a spot for a short chip.

Reason why i was asking about preshot routine is i find i'm telling myself, dont hit it left off the tee since there is OB there, and of course thats where it goes. Now i'm trying to pretend i'm on the driving range, and relax and hit the shot, and it's helped. Going to read up on the mental aspect.

Reactions: beaced and batts
I rarely use my driver now, my course is on the short side and my 3 wood is more accurate and not much shorter than my driver. I've tried to be smarter, no longer reaching for the long shot into the green when i need to hit it perfect to get on, content with putting it in a spot for a short chip.

Reason why i was asking about preshot routine is i find i'm telling myself, dont hit it left off the tee since there is OB there, and of course thats where it goes. Now i'm trying to pretend i'm on the driving range, and relax and hit the shot, and it's helped. Going to read up on the mental aspect.
Try visualizing the shot (ball flight). No thoughts, just a visual. That works for me unless I have too many transfusions. Playing Fairmount CC tomorrow.

I try to picture what the perfect shot would look like, take a practice swing with that thought, then try to execute. I generally have the same problem and have been working on that as well.

Reactions: rcube1994
Batts,
I live around the corner from The Knoll, in Montville. I'm 64, started playing in my mid 30's. I used to belong to Cedar Hill CC in Livingston, got down to around a 13 index. Got divorced years ago and now play mostly at Sunset Valley and my favorite public course, Berkshire Valley. I played there a couple years ago with my now 28 year old son and his 2 best friends. My son occasionally breaks 100 but on that day he got a hole in one on the 12th hole, witnessed by the 3 people he would most want to have witnessed it.

I was a member at CHCC also - good course, killer greens, immaculate condition. Played Seaview Bay yesterday. That course looks easy but plays difficult, especially when the greens (many are crowned) are rock-hard. Gotta play bump and run all day.

Last edited:

NEVER was able to use my Driver. Just could not hit it.Used a 2 iron off the tee. Hit ir very long. Broke it.Sounded like a church bell .Used my 3 wood for the rest of my dr ives. I hit it very long there after.There were 3 drives in later rounds that I know were over 300 yds. The majority were 240-260.When asked why no driver,my response was "Doctors orders My Psychiatrist,because the driver drives me crazy"

Reactions: batts and rcube1994
We got $4 a bag. If you were lucky you'd get an extra $1.

The Monsignor of my church was a member of the club. We'd go to early mass and listen to him beg for money. Then we'd go to the course and watch him pull up in his Fleetwood.

Never tipped.
At Weequahic,1940-1942, It cost only 50 cents to play.The Standard tip was 40 cents for 9 holes.If you got 50 cents that was very good. Nine hole course.

would any of you try, if not buy, the new line of Kirkland signature stuff? They are now dabbling in putters and wedges. Based on looks, they seem like white labeled Odyssey/Callaway stuff.

would any of you try, if not buy, the new line of Kirkland signature stuff? They are now dabbling in putters and wedges. Based on looks, they seem like white labeled Odyssey/Callaway stuff.
I tried their balls and gloves. both were fine. If I am in Costco I will grab gloves in the future. Not so sure about the balls.

I tried their balls and gloves. both were fine. If I am in Costco I will grab gloves in the future. Not so sure about the balls.

Speaking of golf gloves, check this new one out.

One size fits all, very breathable and durable in hot weather, inexpensive and a great fit. Far better than the FJ gloves I’ve been buying for 30 years. Trust me, you will thank me.

Amazon product ASIN B00EODBJUO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT