ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ongoing Golf Thread

#6 on the Ridge for me... I call it a very short par 5....

(For those that don’t know the course, it’s 200 yard par 3, with a lost ball on the left, bunker On the righ, and very difficult green)
You should try the Par-3 2nd hole at Berkshire Valley (258 yds with bunkers guarding front left and right and OB both left and right of the green). Also, the last 3 holes at Sunset Valley stack up with any 3 finishing holes in the state. In fact, NJ Golf Magazine said back in the 90's it was toughest 3 finishing holes in NJ.

Not true. The original ball was a 4-pc ball that was excellent. The ball was being in South Korea by Nassau who also used to make TaylorMade balls. The ball was very similar but not identical to a Tour Preferred. I have heard it might have been a prototype design by TM that never was produced. Titleist sent Costco the usual nasty letter saying their typical BS which usually forces small companies to fold up shop. Costco said FU and sued Titleist. Titleist counter-sued claiming false advertising and some other BS. Nassau stopped making the ball for Costco so they got a new vendor who made a new 4-pc. The article you referenced was about that ball. It had cover cutting issues and Costco refunded everyone their money and told people to keep them. It was a decent ball but the cover had QC issues as it was poorly adhered to outer mantle layer.

In between those 4-pcs, Costco contracted a company from China to make a 3-pc ball for them. That is the ball Rick Shields tested. Frankly, I am not a huge fan. It has poor spin separation and therefore is a little shorter off tee and spins too much off full short irons and that makes it struggle into the wind. It is decent for 2 dz for $25 but not something I would play.

The original 4-pc is excellent and compared well with ProV1/X etc.

BTW, I still have over 20 dozen of the original 4-pc ball and all 4 dozen of the refunded ball. I also have 8 dozen of the 3-pc that I do not like....lol. People find it hard to believe how many golf balls I have...if you guessed it would not even be close.
You may be right but your description above is one of 2 stories I heard about the Kirkland's ball. In the article it mentions Costco did ultimately settle with Titleist (which means they know they violated the patents). I've heard the same rumors the original was a TaylorMade ball but what I heard (think it was in Golf or Gold Digest) was the original was a knockoff of a Pro V1. The second model was based on the TaylorMade ball. Any balls made in the far east (just like the knock off equipment) are always subject to quality control issues. In all my rounds I think I have found 2 Kirkland's balls on the course. One was this year and I offered it to my partner who refused and said they stink. It's in a bag of balls for my wife to use now.

You should try the Par-3 2nd hole at Berkshire Valley (258 yds with bunkers guarding front left and right and OB both left and right of the green). Also, the last 3 holes at Sunset Valley stack up with any 3 finishing holes in the state. In fact, NJ Golf Magazine said back in the 90's it was toughest 3 finishing holes in NJ.
That 2nd hole at Berkshire is like getting punched in the face early. It's tough to begin with, but if the wind is in your face it's impossible.

Reactions: wisr01
I play both those courses a lot and #2 atBerkshire is far tougher than Ridge #6. Also, you are dead on regarding 16-18 at Sunset. More than once I have needed to go 2 or 3 over on the last 3 to break 80 and instead went 5 over. Tough, tough, tough.

I play both those courses a lot and #2 atBerkshire is far tougher than Ridge #6. Also, you are dead on regarding 16-18 at Sunset. More than once I have needed to go 2 or 3 over on the last 3 to break 80 and instead went 5 over. Tough, tough, tough.
Imagine playing those last 3 holes 150 times a year. Little tidbit for anyone who plays Sunset Valley. I am the author of the course guide (its free so ask for one). We had a company survey the holes and I wrote the description and playing strategies.

You may be right but your description above is one of 2 stories I heard about the Kirkland's ball. In the article it mentions Costco did ultimately settle with Titleist (which means they know they violated the patents). I've heard the same rumors the original was a TaylorMade ball but what I heard (think it was in Golf or Gold Digest) was the original was a knockoff of a Pro V1. The second model was based on the TaylorMade ball. Any balls made in the far east (just like the knock off equipment) are always subject to quality control issues. In all my rounds I think I have found 2 Kirkland's balls on the course. One was this year and I offered it to my partner who refused and said they stink. It's in a bag of balls for my wife to use now.
Take anything you heard and throw it out because most people are don't know much. I knew about the original Costco ball long before people knew it existed and got a hold of 30 dozen. At one point I thought about selling them when they went to $60 on ebay.

The original 4-pc did not violate any patents and they did not settle in the way you are suggesting. Both companies agreed to drop it after Nassau stopped making them.

BTW, the original is not even remotely close to a ProV1 by design.

golf-balls-cut-open.png

Also, I forgot to mention the 3-pc is TPU which is not nearly as good as Cast Urethane which the original was.

Reactions: RUevolution36
Take anything you heard and throw it out because most people are ignorant shits. I knew about the original Costco ball long before people knew it existed and got a hold of 30 dozen. At one point I thought about selling them when they went to $60 on ebay.

The original 4-pc did not violate any patents and they did not settle in the way you are suggesting. Both companies agreed to drop it after Nassau stopped making them.

golf-balls-cut-open.png

Also, I forgot to mention the 3-pc is TPU which is not nearly as good as Cast Urethane which the original was.

Not to mention that settling does not mean they know they violated the patent.

The irony here is that if you talk to other ball manufacturers they will tell you that it is Titleist that is violating patents...but I don't want to take this thread off the rails.

Please know I am not taking a shot at the course at all but I find it hard to believe that a course with a 130ish slope could be as tough as others with a 140-148 slope, even for the last three holes. Was NJ Golf looking at public purses? You might be right but there are some tough finishing holes in NJ. No disrespect but hard to imagine.

Not to mention that settling does not mean they know they violated the patent.

The irony here is that if you talk to other ball manufacturers they will tell you that it is Titleist that is violating patents...but I don't want to take this thread off the rails.
I agree about not taking off rails and yes you are correct about Titleist being the violator and they have lost suits over it.

Reactions: SirScarlet
What days days do you typically play Sunset Valley? Before this year, I was usually there at some point almost every day of the week except Sunday. If you play there somewhat regularly I probably know you at least by face or swing LOL.
I play nine almost every Wednesday at 6PM with a buddy who can’t get there earlier. On weekends I either play there or Berkshire Valley. Tomorrow is my last day at work, officially retiring. If you or batts wanna play during the week, I’d be glad to join you. Let me know and I’ll email you

Reactions: batts
Please know I am not taking a shot at the course at all but I find it hard to believe that a course with a 130ish slope could be as tough as others with a 140-148 slope, even for the last three holes. Was NJ Golf looking at public purses? You might be right but there are some tough finishing holes in NJ. No disrespect but hard to imagine.
My vague remembrance it was in view of public courses at the time.

Here is what Golf Advisor says:

Sunset Valley Golf Course is consistently ranked as one of the best public courses in New Jersey. It is one of four golf courses in the Morris County Parks system and it's considered the toughest. Located in Pompton Plains, the course is nestled in a wooded valley. It has a dramatic topography that provides plenty of ups and downs throughout the golf course. Golfers can expect a variety of elevation changes as well as a few blind shots and forced carries. Strategically placed bunkers come into play along the fast, undulating greens and mature trees line the rolling fairways. Water hazards come into play on a few holes too. Sunset Valley Golf Course's final three holes present one of the area's toughest finishes. The trio begins with the uphill par-5 16th and then finishes with two long par 4s.​

Forgot to mention my favorite tidbit, Sunset Valley designer was Hal Purdy who also designed.....Rutgers!!!!!!! He also designed a bunch in our area.

One last tidbit, last year the USGA came to re-eval the course and after they are done they get to play it. I rode out and asked them what they thought since they see so many courses. One of them said, "This is one tough little bitch of a course. Only 6400 yards Par 70 but anyone who shoots par here can play golf."

Last edited:
Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I play nine almost every Wednesday at 6PM with a buddy who can’t get there earlier. On weekends I either play there or Berkshire Valley. Tomorrow is my last day at work, officially retiring. If you or batts wanna play during the week, I’d be glad to join you. Let me know and I’ll email you
Congrats on retirement. Play golf my friend.

One of the reasons I asked is my daughter and my son's gf both work there (bev cart or 9th hole grill). And before the county outsourced it a few years ago my son worked in the pro shop.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Awesome, congratulations on your retirement!!!

Not a finishing hole last 3 holes, but I think Rutgers 10th hole is one of the most difficult in NJ from the back tee. If you hit it right, you are blocked out by the big tree on the right. If you hook it, there's trees on the left. The green slopes from right to left with a bunker on the left and elevated green.

Thanks fellas. Was planning to retire at the end of the year but COVID pushed up that date. Patient volume was not enough to cover overhead in my specialty (ENT) which also is the highest risk specialty along with dentists.

Reactions: jtung230 and wisr01
Thanks fellas. Was planning to retire at the end of the year but COVID pushed up that date. Patient volume was not enough to cover overhead in my specialty (ENT) which also is the highest risk specialty along with dentists.
Congrats ! Enjoy your retirement!

Take anything you heard and throw it out because most people are don't know much. I knew about the original Costco ball long before people knew it existed and got a hold of 30 dozen. At one point I thought about selling them when they went to $60 on ebay.

golf-balls-cut-open.png

Have you tired the Snell MTB Black or MTB-X? Looooong. Feels good off the face, IMO.

Have you tired the Snell MTB Black or MTB-X? Looooong. Feels good off the face, IMO.
I have about 5 dozen of each. I also have a bunch of the original MTB and the short-lived MTB Red. The MTB-X is as good as any ball out there. Period.

In fact, I have just about every golf ball made since the late 90's. I have over 5000 golf balls. Dean Snell contacted me personally to find out why the heck I have so many. He also shared insights on the original KSIG, etc. For those wondering Nassau Golf makes Snell golf balls. I should have been a golf ball designer, I buy dozen or more of everything and cut one open and then test another one. If I like them I buy more. I have a lot of boxes of ten balls.

Golf ball tidbit, the Vice Pro golf ball (prior to 2020 update) was the same ball as Maxfli Tour from 2011. German engineering...lol.

Another one, Nike's Tour Accuracy TW (the ball TW played almost 20 years ago) was actually made by Bridgestone and was also sold as a Precept Tour Premium LS. Same exact ball.

Last edited:
Imagine playing those last 3 holes 150 times a year. Little tidbit for anyone who plays Sunset Valley. I am the author of the course guide (its free so ask for one). We had a company survey the holes and I wrote the description and playing strategies.
The only time I drove the green on a Par 4 was at Sunset. Short par 4 with a elevated tee box. My favorite part of the story is it was a 3 wood. Least favorite part of the story was 3 putted for par.

I have about 5 dozen of each. I also have a bunch of the original MTB and the short-lived MTB Red. The MTB-X is as good as any ball out there. Period.

In fact, I have just about every golf ball made since the late 90's. I have over 5000 golf balls. Dean Snell contacted me personally to find out why the heck I have so many. He also shared insights on the original KSIG, etc. For those wondering Nassau Golf makes Snell golf balls. I should have been a golf ball designer, I buy dozen or more of everything and cut one open and then test another one. If I like them I buy more. I have a lot of boxes of ten balls.

Golf ball tidbit, the Vice Pro golf ball (prior to 2020 update) was the same ball as Maxfli Tour from 2011. German engineering...lol.

Another one, Nike's Tour Accuracy TW (the ball TW played almost 20 years ago) was actually made by Bridgestone and was also sold as a Precept Tour Premium LS. Same exact ball.

What ball do you consider to be similar to the AVX?

What ball do you consider to be similar to the AVX?
Taylormade Tour Response
Wilson Duo Professional (great ball that flies under the radar)
Vice Pro Soft
Bridgestone Tour B RX

Last edited:
Taylormade Tour Response
Wilson Duo Professional (great ball that flies under the radar)
Vice Pro Soft
Bridgestone Tour B RX
I play the AVX from time to time. It's a lower trajectory for me so not the longest. Great control around the greens though. I seem to putt great with it.

The TaylorMade Tour Response is a very underrated ball. My wife and I played La Costa last year and they gave us a couple dozen. Just lost the last one a few weeks ago but great overall performance. Plays close to the TP5. I like the Bridgestone. My wife uses the Vice Pro Soft since that is for slow swingers. I used to play Wilson Pro staff in my younger days but haven't played/seen a Wilson ball on a course in over 20 years. Heard good things about the Duo and new Staff ball as well.

I’ve probably played the course 250 times over the last 30 years. Earlier this month I birdied 16 for the first time in years - the highlight of my golf year.

You should give the course a try. The greens are also big breaking. The course is all about local knowledge. I have played TPC San Antonio a few times and have seen that ranked as the toughest course to putt on the PGA tour. I think many of Sunset’s greens are tougher than what I experienced at TPC.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Not a finishing hole last 3 holes, but I think Rutgers 10th hole is one of the most difficult in NJ from the back tee. If you hit it right, you are blocked out by the big tree on the right. If you hook it, there's trees on the left. The green slopes from right to left with a bunker on the left and elevated green.
Agreed. Great hole.

@wisr01 how you get the gig of writing the course guide? I enjoy reading those when I play a new course. The funniest one was Spooky Brook. Whoever wrote it put zero effort. Half the holes it said to grip it a rip it. Maybe the course was just that simple.

also surprised at all the golf ball experts. I’m fascinated with golf equipment but never really considered the ball. Guess with my game it really doesn’t make a difference.

@wisr01 how you get the gig of writing the course guide? I enjoy reading those when I play a new course. The funniest one was Spooky Brook. Whoever wrote it put zero effort. Half the holes it said to grip it a rip it. Maybe the course was just that simple.

also surprised at all the golf ball experts. I’m fascinated with golf equipment but never really considered the ball. Guess with my game it really doesn’t make a difference.

Haven't played it in at least 25 years, but I think the guide at Green Knoll had one that said, "Distance and accuracy are key here". Gee... thanks.

it does make a difference though. as a high HCP'er and a gearhead, i can definitely see the difference between balls. the switch from surlyn to urethane covers really opened my eyes. even at my (lack of) speed, i can get so much more spin to stop the ball on the green. Certain balls go 5-10 yards further on comparable hits...and I need all the yards I can get

Reactions: Section124
You should give the course a try. The greens are also big breaking. The course is all about local knowledge. I have played TPC San Antonio a few times and have seen that ranked as the toughest course to putt on the PGA tour. I think many of Sunset’s greens are tougher than what I experienced at TPC.
First time I played Sunset some 30 years ago I 5-putted the first green. One of the guys said "Welcome to Sunset Valley."

Back maybe 8 years ago they started mowing the greens shorter and rolling them. They were running like 11 on the stimp. I had a put I just started rolling and rolled across green and down the fairwway about 20 yards. So some of the holes, due to severe slopes, they were like 15's and impossible to play. That did not last very long thank God. Lately, they have slowed them to only 9-9.5 to give folks a chance.

Last edited:

The manager at the time (she has since moved to Berkshire Valley) hired a company to do the measurements and put the book together. She asked a good friend of mine and myself if we would be willing to write the descriptions plus any suggested strategy as we have played a few thousand of times each.

I have read a few golf architecture books (meant for architects) and it has helped better my game as I understand what they are trying to do to challenge golfers. It is the ultimate thinking persons game, unless you just want to have a good time and drink with your buddies. My favorite is The Anatomy of a Golf Course by Tom Doak.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtung230
I play the AVX from time to time. It's a lower trajectory for me so not the longest. Great control around the greens though. I seem to putt great with it.

The TaylorMade Tour Response is a very underrated ball. My wife and I played La Costa last year and they gave us a couple dozen. Just lost the last one a few weeks ago but great overall performance. Plays close to the TP5. I like the Bridgestone. My wife uses the Vice Pro Soft since that is for slow swingers. I used to play Wilson Pro staff in my younger days but haven't played/seen a Wilson ball on a course in over 20 years. Heard good things about the Duo and new Staff ball as well.
New Wilson Staff ball is fantastic but firmer than Duo Professional so maybe not for those who like AVX, etc.

it does make a difference though. as a high HCP'er and a gearhead, i can definitely see the difference between balls. the switch from surlyn to urethane covers really opened my eyes. even at my (lack of) speed, i can get so much more spin to stop the ball on the green. Certain balls go 5-10 yards further on comparable hits...and I need all the yards I can get
I believe everyone should play a urethane ball as it helps control irons and short game shots through much higher spin. The negative is cost as they cost more.

Haven't played it in at least 25 years, but I think the guide at Green Knoll had one that said, "Distance and accuracy are key here". Gee... thanks.
My FIL was a member at Echo Lake. The very first time he invited me out I asked him for member’s tip on the tee box. He said to hit it straight and long. Wasn’t the most enjoyable round.

Has anyone here ever played Woodloch Springs in PA? I did once and it was a beast. Slope rating of 143 which I thought maybe should have been higher...LOL.

As a relative beginner, I set goals for myself at various stages of my development.

First stage: stop topping the ball.
Second stage: stop topping the damn ball!
Current stage: hit 15 to 25 solid fairway shots and loft the ball onto the green 3 or 4 times.

What would likely help... stop thinking about not topping the ball.

Reactions: batts and wisr01
2 years ago I read up on Kirkland balls and found they were almost identical, if not better, than the Titleist ProV1. I bought 2 packs of 24 for around 25 bucks each in the fall ($50 for 48 balls). They were sold out before Christmas. The balls were excellent, a steal for the price. I tried to buy some last year, they were going for 64 bucks a dozen. Unbelievable.

Kirkland is starting to make Wedges.

So I used to play 3x a week. Then had kids...went to 3x a month...then 3x a year...then not at all. My son is now 15 and decided to take up golf. So it brought be back out on the course and I've been quickly reminded why I was addicted to the game. Problem: my irons are Mizuno MP14's. I no longer have the skill to hit these blades consistently. Does anyone have any good recommendations on a set of irons for a "no longer low handicapper"?

On a different note, as my son got started, I bought him a used set of ping irons, gave him one of my old Titleist 983k drivers, and MY PUTTER. So I was playing through the spring with my wife's lefty putter. Couldn't stand 3 putting so much and picked up a used Oddessy Toulon. WOW is it sweet...highly recommend to anyone looking for a new putter.

Look at the Titleist T series irons.

The kirkland balls are really freakin good for the price. All I play now.

Taylor Made has a ball called the Tour Response (IIRC). I'm getting 15 for $10-$12 less than TX5s or Pro V1s a dozen. I' not seeing a difference in play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT