ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Retirement Communities in South jersey

fg7321

All Conference
Nov 29, 2009
Looking for a home in S jersey within an active adult community.

Toured Ocean Breeze in Barnegat yesterday. Very nice but wife wants easy access to the beach and Ocean Breeze is 10 miles from LBI down Rt 72. Should be 20 minutes off hours but really bad summer.

Anyone here day trip to LBI in the summer?

Toured Ocean Breeze in Barnegat yesterday. Very nice but wife wants easy access to the beach and Ocean Breeze is 10 miles from LBI down Rt 72. Should be 20 minutes off hours but really bad summer.

Day trip to LBI would probably be fine most weekdays, 72 east shouldn't be too bad. Weekends would be a bear mid-summer with the rental traffic. Saturday rentals switch, and most Sundays you have the weekenders driving out.
Parking at most LBI beaches is a bummer as well since it's so residential, not many parking lots so you're relying on street parking close to the beach, usually a couple of blocks walk.

Not really "South Jersey".

Holy crap, are these places really around $600K?

How big of a house do you want? There are plenty of retirement places in Brick with closer proximity to beaches, boating, etc, and there is a lot more going on that being in the boondocks around Barnegat. Brick puts you in proximity to the Pt Pleasant Boardwalk, Asbury Park, Ocean Grove, etc. Or if you can spend up to $800K (or more), Wall has some great retirement communities right off of Route 34, 2-3 miles to the beach in Manasquan.

Lived in Lanoka Harbor for many years, just north of Barnegat. Went to LBI hundreds of times on the weekends. As long as you get to the beach by 9am you are good, after that the traffic starts to build. Would stay a few hours and ride home around noon was a breeze.

Wait - aren't you in Utah? Would this be a second home or are you coming back to Jersey full time? Anyway, I have 3 friends with places on LBI, plus I play disc golf occasionally in Manahawkin, and 72E most days in the summer onto LBI sucks, but especially on Fri/Sat/Sun, as you might expect. The other annoying thing about LBI, especially if one lives several miles either north or south of 72 (the only bridge), is how long it takes to go anywhere, since it can take 20 min just to get to the Parkway from LBI. But LBI and the inland communities are a lot cheaper (generally - there are some pretty rich parts of LBI) than places in Monmouth County or in some of the more upscale shore towns south of AC. Good luck.

I commuted from LBI to Medford for several summers. Weekday traffic isn't all that bad. Thursday and Friday nights started to get busy so I avoided them. If you're retired and able to work around the busier days, you'll be fine. Even on Saturdays, if you leave early like mentioned above you beat the rental traffic. From Ocean Breeze you'd take back roads all the way to Mud City so you'd avoid most of the 72 headache.

Reactions: Doteman and fg7321
Wait - aren't you in Utah? Would this be a second home or are you coming back to Jersey full time? Anyway, I have 3 friends with places on LBI, plus I play disc golf occasionally in Manahawkin, and 72E most days in the summer onto LBI sucks, but especially on Fri/Sat/Sun, as you might expect. The other annoying thing about LBI, especially if one lives several miles either north or south of 72 (the only bridge), is how long it takes to go anywhere, since it can take 20 min just to get to the Parkway from LBI. But LBI and the inland communities are a lot cheaper (generally - there are some pretty rich parts of LBI) than places in Monmouth County or in some of the more upscale shore towns south of AC. Good luck.
We were looking at Deleware at one point but kids have roots in NJ and grandkids hopefully soon.

We were looking at Deleware at one point but kids have roots in NJ and grandkids hopefully soon.
My retired sister and her SO live half the year in Milford, DE, about 15-20 min (on a good day - an hour in the summer, lol) from Lewes and Rehobeth, both cool, but very crowded shore towns that have been overbuilt without improving road infrastructure much. Still a cool area and less expensive than NJ, of course.

I commuted from LBI to Medford for several summers. Weekday traffic isn't all that bad. Thursday and Friday nights started to get busy so I avoided them. If you're retired and able to work around the busier days, you'll be fine. Even on Saturdays, if you leave early like mentioned above you beat the rental traffic. From Ocean Breeze you'd take back roads all the way to Mud City so you'd avoid most of the 72 headache.
Grew up going to LBI, but now in the summer, it's a busy mess. Also, most parts of the LBI shoreline are super narrow.

Grew up going to LBI, but now in the summer, it's a busy mess. Also, most parts of the LBI shoreline are super narrow.
Loved the quiet residential areas and only visited the busy parts for dinner and fun. Super narrow + no public parking is a resident’s delight. We used to leave the driveway empty and park on the street to keep out the day trippers.

Loved the quiet residential areas and only visited the busy parts for dinner and fun. Super narrow + no public parking is a resident’s delight. We used to leave the driveway empty and park on the street to keep out the day trippers.
Always went to Beach Haven and loved the island off season.

Lived in Lanoka Harbor for many years, just north of Barnegat. Went to LBI hundreds of times on the weekends. As long as you get to the beach by 9am you are good, after that the traffic starts to build. Would stay a few hours and ride home around noon was a breeze.
When I lived in Forked River, I loved the local summer once Labor Day ended. It was amazing. I still love the area and many times wish that I didn't have to move.

Holy crap, are these places really around $600K?

How big of a house do you want? There are plenty of retirement places in Brick with closer proximity to beaches, boating, etc, and there is a lot more going on that being in the boondocks around Barnegat. Brick puts you in proximity to the Pt Pleasant Boardwalk, Asbury Park, Ocean Grove, etc. Or if you can spend up to $800K (or more), Wall has some great retirement communities right off of Route 34, 2-3 miles to the beach in Manasquan.

Four Seasons will be over 700k if not way more. Xanadu is 500k for condo. Maybe some the ones in Howell a few miles in.

Idk about a retirement community, but in Manahawkin I just pulled up Zillow

I see a ranch for 500k
I see a 2 townhomes 425k

All east of the parkway

I also see one story homes west of the parkway in a development called Ocean Acres in this range.

Relative to Monmouth beaches this is bargain basement lol. Does it have to be 55+?

My wife’s friends parents are in little egg harbor and love it
Idk about a retirement community, but in Manahawkin I just pulled up Zillow

I see a ranch for 500k
I see a 2 townhomes 425k

All east of the parkway

I also see one story homes west of the parkway in a development called Ocean Acres in this range.

Relative to Monmouth beaches this is bargain basement lol. Does it have to be 55+?
If we are moving down there it would have to be a 55 and older If we did Monmouth cty we could buy a home in a development but you cant get a home near the beach for less than 800 k that is newer and fixed nicely

I honestly think it’s a great spot. Someone already said before 9am no issue and parking on LBI no problem. After 10. Not so much.

If we are moving down there it would have to be a 55 and older If we did Monmouth cty we could buy a home in a development but you cant get a home near the beach for less than 800 k that is newer and fixed nicely

There are definitely 55+ places less than 10 miles to the beach under 800 in Monmouth....especially if you're OK with a condo/townhouse.

Reactions: Knight Shift
There are definitely 55+ places less than 10 miles to the beach under 800 in Monmouth....especially if you're OK with a condo/townhouse.
IDK about OP, but I'd pay more for a little less house in Monmouth County (or Northern Ocean County) than living all the way down in Little Egg Harbor.

Examples, some already pending:

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The Four Seasons in Little Egg Harbor is pretty nice- right on a golf course- hotel in community and houses are in great shape and spacious. We looked at one but our problem was that we have two large dogs- which they are ok with but you cn't put up a real fence in most over 55 communities- and an electric fence just doesn't work well with larger dogs.

Reactions: fg7321
IDK about OP, but I'd pay more for a little less house in Monmouth County (or Northern Ocean County) than living all the way down in Little Egg Harbor.

Thanks we will check these areas out!

The Four Seasons in Little Egg Harbor is pretty nice- right on a golf course- hotel in community and houses are in great shape and spacious. We looked at one but our problem was that we have two large dogs- which they are ok with but you cn't put up a real fence in most over 55 communities- and an electric fence just doesn't work well with larger dogs.
We have this problem as well. It's something we have to really think about.

We have this problem as well. It's something we have to really think about.
If you don't have a realtor, I (and so do others know realtors). Let us know if you need a lead.
The dog issue can be an issue in over 55 communities. Also, if you do go into such a community or any place with a Homeowner's Association, read the governing documents extremely closely. Get the restrictive covenants, bylaws and rules and regulations. We got burned twice by HOAs and their ridiculous restrictions, and we said never again. Some places are fine, but if you get a couple of unreasonable people on the governing Board, look out. YMMV.

If you don't have a realtor, I (and so do others know realtors). Let us know if you need a lead.
The dog issue can be an issue in over 55 communities. Also, if you do go into such a community or any place with a Homeowner's Association, read the governing documents extremely closely. Get the restrictive covenants, bylaws and rules and regulations. We got burned twice by HOAs and their ridiculous restrictions, and we said never again. Some places are fine, but if you get a couple of unreasonable people on the governing Board, look out. YMMV.
We are well aware of the HOA bullcrap, but we live in a development where some people are pigs and the town is very slow with enforcement.

So in looking at these properties only the first is in a community for 55 & older and just sold for $820 K and needs major work inside to update it. That is way out of our price range. The others are not in a community but might potentially work .

This is what the homes in Barnegat are so appealing for 650 K you can get a brand new 3 Bdrm 3 Bath home with 2100 sq feet + a nice sunroom. That's with all the upgrades.

So in looking at these properties only the first is in a community for 55 & older and just sold for $820 K and needs major work inside to update it. That is way out of our price range. The others are not in a community but might potentially work .

This is what the homes in Barnegat are so appealing for 650 K you can get a brand new 3 Bdrm 3 Bath home with 2100 sq feet + a nice sunroom. That's with all the upgrades.
I get where you are coming from. Life is compromises.
1. HOA- control (until they the HOA is out of control and in your face (our experience) vs. no control and scummy neighbors.

2. Location vs. Cost- having moved around a lot in our lives and "chasing contentment" by owning a bigger/nicer/newer home in a "cheaper" location, we found that life was unsatisfying when we were younger and raising kids and even now. We are not far off from retirement age, and our needs may change. We have a second home in Arizona that we "think" we want to make our retirement home, and while it is in a great location, other than the scenery and great hiking, it is boring as hell, and we would have to drive nearly 2 hours to Phoenix to go to concerts, ball games, etc.

3. I guess it depends on if a person is more of a homebody, or spends more time outdoors and pursuing activities. We recently visited friends in LBI, and while it looked fun in the summer, the area in the winter time looks deserted and boring.

4. A final point on "new construction". I would look very closely at the quality of the construction in the newer homes and developments. Maybe they have changed, but from personal experience, we would never buy a KH home. Lived in one of their townhomes years ago, and the construction was very sub par. We preferred to buy an older home where we are at now in Monmouth County, and we spent a good amount of money renovating/modernizing it. But we like doing renovations-we have handled at least 10-12 projects over the years. It's a mental illness. 🤣

5. The thing now is all housing is so terribly inflated in price. Good luck in your search. There is no "right" answer, and my opinion (or anyone else's) should be taken with a grain of salt.

Reactions: fg7321
The key is to fill a vacancy (which most HOAs have) and be part of the decision making.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT