San Diego State (who bailed already?)
Air Force
Boise State
Fresno State
Colorado State
San Jose State
Hawai'i
Utah State

But why would those teams leave the MWC for the PAC 2 to become the PAC 10?

No disrespect to Wyoming, UNLV, New Mexico or Nevada.
Exit fees and timing is an issue for MWC teams.

Reactions: Knight Shift
This would be a mistake for Army.
They learned in CUSA that you can't run option vs same teams every year (lose element of surprise).
Then AD had Army switch to pro offense and that brought 15 years of losing

I would like to personally apply to be a member in the PAC2(3?). I will take not TV money for the duration of my membership.

I really have to wonder about the Big Ten leaving America's best public university and its most elite, private, FBS school on the table for another conference to grab.

Cal & Stanford should've been in the Big Ten.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
I really have to wonder about the Big Ten leaving America's best public university and its most elite, private, FBS school on the table for another conference to grab.

Agree . . . no matter what the short-term numbers were, it made sense to take both to maintain historic rivalries, to make scheduling easier for Pacific Coast teams, to get the enhanced carriage fees from having teams in the S.F. media market ( #7 in the country), and for the pure prestige of having Cal and Stanford. Similarly, no matter what the short-term numbers, the Regents of the University of California (which govern both Cal and UCLA) should have told the Big Ten that it would let UCLA join only with a promise that Cal would be part of the next expansion. But short-term thinking seems pervasive today, and not just in sports.

Well UCLA and USC left the PAC primarily because of those two...

Except ucla and cal are in the exact same system…
Yes, but they have separate budgets for athletics. UCLA was in a deep hole, and saw joining the Big Ten as a way to make a hell of a lot of money. The Regents, who run the system, were willing to let UCLA join the Big Ten and pay "Calimony" to Cal. But that backfired because the departure of UCLA and USC made the Pac-12's media rights much less valuable.

100% agree, I'm shocked.

Fox wanted Oregon and Washington. Ratings won out over academics.
I'm not surprised that Fox wanted Oregon and Washington more than it wanted Cal and Stanford. But evidently the per-school payout from Fox would have been reduced if the Big Ten had taken all four, and the Big Ten schools didn't want to sacrifice that revenue.

SMU so desperate to get out of the AAC and into a M-league that it is willing to take nine years of zeros (up from 5) on media deal…
SMU doesn't need the money. It is literally the local university for Highland Park, Tx and University Park, Tx. Walking distance to both neighborhoods. More billionaires per block than any other place in the USA. You know all those big boosters at Texa$ and Texa$ A&M? Odds are their bosses live in one of those two neighborhoods. Give it three years; my bet is SMU will be a contender in the conference in football and hoops.

SMU doesn't need the money. It is literally the local university for Highland Park, Tx and University Park, Tx. Walking distance to both neighborhoods. More billionaires per block than any other place in the USA. You know all those big boosters at Texa$ and Texa$ A&M? Odds are their bosses live in one of those two neighborhoods. Give it three years; my bet is SMU will be a contender in the conference in football and hoops.
LOL…you really don’t Texas very well, do ya? 😆🤣

Agree....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT