ADVERTISEMENT

OT-SNOW FRIDAY-FIRST DAY OF SPRING 2-4" (Maybe 6"?) NORTH OF I-78

Here in Cherry Hill, we have slush on side roads, but otherwise no accumulation on paved surfaces. The snow is still coming down heavily, but I think there is some sleet mixed in. Let's hope that we don't have an April storm, which we all know occasionally happens..

Heaviest axis of snow fell a bit fuether south than progged thats why monmouth ocean and burlingtin look to be sweet spots

Theyll go over 4 there but everyone probably falls in the 2-4 range and slushy inch on pavement

Back edge closing in on western jersey per radar

Been in Princeton without internet access since 10 am. When we left there at 4 pm, they had 3" on the ground and it was 32F. Roads on the way back to Metuchen (27 and 1) were getting slushy with moderate to heavy snow falling and the sun getting low in the sky - took an hour to get back (normally a 30 minute drive).

As of 5:15 pm, here in Metuchen, it's 31F and we have 3.25" of new snow and it's ripping out there - definitely heavy snow with slightly less than 1/4 mile visibility - gorgeous snowfall, clinging to everything with no wind. 3.75" is a lock, which would bring me to 50" for the season - thinking we get close to 5", looking at the radar.

Nice little storm. Heaviest snow, though, has been from Trenton to Sandy Hook and SE of that line to maybe Philly to Toms River - many places in that area are likely to get 6-7".

Just got home and shoveled out the driveway. About 4.5" here on the driveway and the unplowed streets in the hills of western Morris county. Plows just came by my street so the roads are not too bad any longer, but the unplowed streets are getting pretty bad without 4wd. Just measured on the railing of my deck.... a bit under 5". Of course evrything that fell on the existing snowpack has been sticking.... which was my whole yard... and the driveway piles are still about 3 feet high on either side plus the new snow that has accumulated on top. Big difference 1100 feet of elevation makes over the lowlands of middlesex county.... only 30 minutes away.

This post was edited on 3/20 5:57 PM by slyker

Snow really revving up in Hillsbsorough. Definitely at least 5 inches on my back paver patio. 3 on the driveaways and the street in our development are atrocious. Everyone is shoveling their driveways. Must have been a lollipop exploding over the hillsborough area. Looking like at least 2 more hrs of this and maybe can get another 3/4 to make it almost 6 inches.

4 inches here..pretty good rates last 2 hours plus the back edge slowed down...looks like everyone should get to 4-5 with those toward the shore getting up to to 8 maybe

Snow has stopped in parts of NW Jersey

Jackson/Freehold border at least 5-6 on the ground and coming down at a moderate rate. April snowman, why not.

2" too many...brings the season's total to...who the eff cares at this point...a lot!
dead.r191677.gif

Getting killed in Rumson. At least 5" on ground. Driveway and streets covered, but not as much.

So, the hopefully final storm of the year was grossly underblown, while the first storm of the year was very much overblown and somewhat of a bust. So much for predicting the weather with accuracy.

Originally posted by RU848789:

Been in Princeton without internet access since 10 am. When we left there at 4 pm, they had 3" on the ground and it was 32F. Roads on the way back to Metuchen (27 and 1) were getting slushy with moderate to heavy snow falling and the sun getting low in the sky - took an hour to get back (normally a 30 minute drive).

As of 5:15 pm, here in Metuchen, it's 31F and we have 3.25" of new snow and it's ripping out there - definitely heavy snow with slightly less than 1/4 mile visibility - gorgeous snowfall, clinging to everything with no wind. 3.75" is a lock, which would bring me to 50" for the season - thinking we get close to 5", looking at the radar.

Nice little storm. Heaviest snow, though, has been from Trenton to Sandy Hook and SE of that line to maybe Philly to Toms River - many places in that area are likely to get 6-7".

Just got in from shoveling and building my best snowman of the year (spring guy, with beach towel, chair, golf club, boogie board, etc.) and as of 6:50 pm we have 4.5" on the ground and it's 31F. Looks like another 30 min of snow by the radar, so maybe we get to 5" by the end of the storm. Roads are slushy/snow-covered, although only about 2" on most undisturbed paved surfaces, due to the much higher melting rate earlier in the day, as expected.

4.5" puts me at 50.75" for the season - pretty sure that's the first time that's happened around these parts (don't think it's ever happened in NB, but NB is a few inches behind me this year, so they might not be quite at 50" this year).

7" right now in East Windsor. I don't think there was one snowstorm this year that the pros called correctly, even up to after the beginning of the storm.

This sucks, by the way. Anybody who is happy to see 7" of snow on March 20th is an *******.

Originally posted by Local Shill:
Lol on it "normally" being a 30 minute drive from Princeton to Metuchen at 4 pm on a Friday.
I know the triple-alum likes to drive like a bit of a maniac but c'mon!
Boy, you're just intent on being a miserable prick in this thread, aren't you?

True Shill. live off rt1 in Monmouth Jct. and ain't no way! I go to Sam's in Edison all the time, and that's over 20 minutes with no traffic.

Thanks #s for nailing the 4-6 call! Great job all year. Just want you to know that the RU community appreciates your expertise!

Originally posted by ScarletStateofNJ:
Thanks #s for nailing the 4-6 call! Great job all year. Just want you to know that the RU community appreciates your expertise!
Thanks, although people should give credit to the NWS instead of bashing them so much. Apart from the "blizzard" they've done pretty damn well this year, especially in February and March. I will claim a little bit of credit, though, for predicting what the NWS was going to predict after each model suite came out (did ok on that).

Originally posted by RU848789:

Just got in from shoveling and building my best snowman of the year (spring guy, with beach towel, chair, golf club, boogie board, etc.) and as of 6:50 pm we have 4.5" on the ground and it's 31F. Looks like another 30 min of snow by the radar, so maybe we get to 5" by the end of the storm. Roads are slushy/snow-covered, although only about 2" on most undisturbed paved surfaces, due to the much higher melting rate earlier in the day, as expected.

4.5" puts me at 50.75" for the season - pretty sure that's the first time that's happened around these parts (don't think it's ever happened in NB, but NB is a few inches behind me this year, so they might not be quite at 50" this year).

As of 8:30 am, it's been snowing lightly on and off since my last measurement, so we got about another 1/4" for 4.75" for this storm. Still snowing lightly right now, as a small lobe of precip is over our area. At 51" for the season, after 62" last winter. NYC has only had >50" in two consecutive seasons once, with 50.7" in both 1915-16 and 1916-17. Last year Central Park had 57", but this year they're only at 44", so they likely don't make it this year (we've had several storms this season where we had an inch or two more than them).

Originally posted by scottydont:
7" right now in East Windsor. I don't think there was one snowstorm this year that the pros called correctly, even up to after the beginning of the storm.

This sucks, by the way. Anybody who is happy to see 7" of snow on March 20th is an *******.
Tell me you're joking. NWS completely nailed this storm and the last sevreral. I could show you, but you would probably still argue, since you're obviously just trolling. Loved this storm, which I guess makes me an ********, whatever that might be.

And just for you, we have at least 3 more cold outbreaks coming over the next 10 days or so, as this winter long pattern with the big ridge over western North America and the mean trough over the eastern US, continues. Snow is not out of the realm of possibility about a week from now or even 10 days from now. Very unusual to get snow that late, but it happens.

Here in the Hudson valley...the NWS record has been poor this winter...

No WWA when there should have been
WWA when one should not have been issue (today)
WWA issued after the fact...
WWA when a Warning should have been issued
WW when a WWA would have been enough
Way over estimating some storms, underestimating others (it happens every winter, but this one was a tough one)
Snowbamapocalypse was a severe bust...but the 12" in Nov was a big miss...
The NWS does poorly with this area as local effect play a huge role here, once you get N and NW of the Harriman Divide, it it like a whole other planet...in my opinion, Upton cares more about NNJ/NYC/Coastal CT/LI...the HV is an after thought...can't say I blame them...

Weather queens should be used to it...its part of the job...I just want this white shit off our landscape ASAP!

Temps in the 40s to near 50 by mid should help...

Is it too early to wish for a 2015-2016 like back in 2012? ...because that winter rocked!!!

I still marvel at giddiness over snow...I don't get, but am amused by it...weather people...we're a weird lot of drama queens...!!

roll.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/20 10:08 PM by West Point Knight

Numbers...your last condescending is post why people are tiring of the snow schtick you bring...taking glee in talking about cold outbreaks at the start of spring..anyway mt holly has mid to upper 50s wed and thurs

Originally posted by RUhasarrived:
Nick Gregory just said that we may go through this again next weekend.
That right there is why weather people are sometimes mocked so severely...long range models indicate a "storm" in the east somewhere...some models have it west of us (rain)...some have it west and then east of us (rain to snow)...that right there is the drama queen side to meteorology...especially the TV gurls...a model can hem and haw wildly run after run...but attention-grabbers is what TV types crave...has the weather channel named it yet?

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Numbers...your last condescending is post why people are tiring of the snow schtick you bring...taking glee in talking about cold outbreaks at the start of spring..anyway mt holly has mid to upper 50s wed and thurs
A guy calls me a name and makes a ridiculous statement about forecast accuracy and it's not ok for me to needle him? Sorry, but you'd do the same thing. I don't make comments like that unprovoked.

We have very cold air early this week, then next weekend and then likely 10-11 days out, but not every day. The pattern is definitely conducive to additional snow, as we have seen, with ~50" of snow since late January.

#'s, ignore the grouches. You called this one right. I think we may get another snow event before the season is over.

Anyway, the snow cover on the trees is beautiful this morning. Lots of branches are hanging a lot lower with a heavy snow covering. Measured in the yard, and we only had 4.5" here in Rumson. Driveway had less than 2" in most spots and streets are clear.

There goes RUMike with his 1 inch in Princeton again. I live right near there. Time for you to get a new ruler or stop the BS.

Originally posted by Knight Shift:
#'s, ignore the grouches. You called this one right. I think we may get another snow event before the season is over.

Anyway, the snow cover on the trees is beautiful this morning. Lots of branches are hanging a lot lower with a heavy snow covering. Measured in the yard, and we only had 4.5" here in Rumson. Driveway had less than 2" in most spots and streets are clear.
This. I have a lot of big old trees in my neighborhood, along with a patch of woods with the Rahway river running through it, and the snow on the trees and in the woods this morning looked amazing.

Just shoveled about 3.5 inches of compacted snow in the back - it's already melting significantly, so I have to think that it was at least over 5 inches of snow up here in Wayne.

Cleaning my car off last night there was a good 5 inches of snow on the roof - So. Bruns.

So I guess we're not gonna be getting any snow this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT