ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

If they take away the backdoor Roth (which I still think is unlikely), we will just start using the Roth 401k option via my work. I definitely agree with have a mix of retirement money - normal and Roth. We will likely use our Roth money for capital purchases, so we can take out whatever we want and not worry about taxes.
Totally agree that it is a good idea with a mix of retirement money. The Roth 401k option obviously won’t be able to address large t401ks or large tIRAs. You can use the Roth money for your house at Stone Harbor for sure!!!! I’m leaning toward legacy but I admit to being up in the air in terms of what money to use when and where.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Agreed. Don’t forget you can avoid the 10% penalty for distributions prior to 59 1/2 with Rule 72(t) of equal periodic distributions.
Also, I think you can avoid the 10% penalty if you retire at the age of 55 or above, right?

I was only speaking about distributions required under the proposed legislation for excess accumulations. Those in that group are not going to want to start early.

Anyone like DraftKings at these levels? Another lock-down stock getting shredded. Someone on CNBC was trashing Peloton predicting the company would go bankrupt.

Anyone like DraftKings at these levels? Another lock-down stock getting shredded. Someone on CNBC was trashing Peloton predicting the company would go bankrupt.
In my opinion they the best mobile gambling product out there. Their acquisition of GNOG gives them a much larger presence in i-Gaming. They seem to be in super acquisition mode- they were rumored to be acquiring a UK based book for $20 billion before that deal fell apart. Besides their huge market share, their connection to Disney (5-10% stake) and therefore ESPN are what make it most attractive to me. The competition in this space is overloaded and I believe you’re going to see them be the leader in more and more consolidation moving forward.

In my opinion they the best mobile gambling product out there. Their acquisition of GNOG gives them a much larger presence in i-Gaming. They seem to be in super acquisition mode- they were rumored to be acquiring a UK based book for $20 billion before that deal fell apart. Besides their huge market share, their connection to Disney (5-10% stake) and therefore ESPN are what make it most attractive to me. The competition in this space is overloaded and I believe you’re going to see them be the leader in more and more consolidation moving forward.
I’m also bought PENN after close yesterday and will continue at these levels. The drop due to the Portnoy story will correct as more info comes out.

I think peleton is ripe for acquisition to pair with a Netflix or Apple to improve their subscription services for TV. Price just needs to keep coming down.

That said, Peleton failed to build something like Tonal to work towards weight lifting for those that don't value just cardio(Bike/tread) and were regulars at the gym. Just having a video service for weights where many people don't have them at home and a struggle to find them during covid is an issue

Agreed. Don’t forget you can avoid the 10% penalty for distributions prior to 59 1/2 with Rule 72(t) of equal periodic distributions.
I would recommend everyone google a 72(t) calculator, plug in your 401k/IRA assets and see how much you can pull out annually if needed. A good financial planning tip: if that number exceeds the amount you would receive from a long term disability insurance policy, you are over-insured.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I think peleton is ripe for acquisition to pair with a Netflix or Apple to improve their subscription services for TV. Price just needs to keep coming down.

That said, Peleton failed to build something like Tonal to work towards weight lifting for those that don't value just cardio(Bike/tread) and were regulars at the gym. Just having a video service for weights where many people don't have them at home and a struggle to find them during covid is an issue
they're still selling for 4.5X pandemic inflated sales. Apple is better off developing iBike and killing them off.

Reactions: RUBlackout
It’s a precious metal mining company. They just acquired one of the best deposits in the world. Not to mention they are about to get another one that has the potential to be even better than the ones they already own. It’s in Spain.

I have made a fortune in the precious metal space ( copper, Zinc ,gold, silver ). Thanks to Doc Jones resource investor. Do yourself a favor and follow him on Twitter. He is Sproutts ( billionaire investor right hand man who invests in this space ).

I promise you will not regret it. Doesn’t hurt to get great information for free. If I am wrong you can call me out. EMOTF has some big time catalysts coming up. Good luck
I see that is up over 1000% year to date. How much higher can it go? Checked out his Twitter he seems to favor resource stuff. He’s also shilling a few other mining ones

Having a down day overall, but really happy to see ABNB go positive in my account. I think ABNB has to potential to be huge. May take a few years and a lot of volatility along the way.

I see that is up over 1000% year to date. How much higher can it go? Checked out his Twitter he seems to favor resource stuff. He’s also shilling a few other mining ones
Going by the math. He and others are saying low end 18 to high 29 a share in 2 years. If you check on you tube. They interview the CEO. There is a link on one of his many posts. It’s really interesting. They break everything down

They have just added a lot more deposits since that climb. Not to mention the biggest one they are about to get in Spain.

The other stock he loves is Nobel 29 resources. I am waiting for a nice pullback to add to both.

Reactions: Postman_1
Early reviews on Lucid are fantastic. I am in for 30,000 stocks at $26. Still has room to run up, but I would wait until the earnings report next week before adding. Risk is that the report is fantastic and stock will run up even higher.

LYV earnings report was fantastic. MSGE is up next. Time to load up?

Early reviews on Lucid are fantastic. I am in for 30,000 stocks at $26. Still has room to run up, but I would wait until the earnings report next week before adding. Risk is that the report is fantastic and stock will run up even higher.

Do you mean 30,000 shares ($780,000 in one company)? Or $30,000? Yikes, if it’s the former, that’s a lot for one company.

The Rivan IPO is seen as a benchmark (or maybe confirmation) of Lucid’s valuation. That and the infrastructure bill’s effect on the EV space as a whole might send this to the next level as well. Fwiw, Lucid is my biggest holding.

Lots of interesting events this week. Sounds like ARK/CW is dumping Zillow, but sticking with Peloton:

Zillow (ZG)​

icon-fall

25%​
Shares of Zillow (ZG) fell 25% on Wednesday after the company announced not only a significant miss relative to third quarter earnings expectations but also plans to shut down Zillow Offers, citing difficulties in forecasting home prices in volatile markets. In response, it is reducing its workforce by roughly 25%. In ARK's view, this news is the result of execution issues associated with Zillow's AI pricing algorithms despite its access to ample data, calling into question the high balance sheet risk necessary to enable the scaling of iBuying business models.​

Peloton (PTON)​

icon-fall

35.4%​
Shares of Peloton (PTON) traded down 35.4% today after the company missed Wall Street estimates for both revenue and earnings. Facing tough comparisons against its pandemic-related boom last year, Peloton cited supply chain costs and a reopening of the global economy for the disappointment relative to its own expectations. Despite these near-term headwinds, we believe that Peloton has disrupted the legacy health and fitness industry and, in the long run, will continue to cause mass migration to connected fitness at home. Peloton offers connected fitness products such as bikes and treadmills with subscriptions to live and on-demand fitness classes.​

The Rivan IPO is seen as a benchmark (or maybe confirmation) of Lucid’s valuation. That and the infrastructure bill’s effect on the EV space as a whole might send this to the next level as well. Fwiw, Lucid is my biggest holding.
Everyone should be careful with Lucid until they prove they can handle production at mass scale. There may be a bunch of production issues that cause attractive buy the dip opportunities.

Everyone should be careful with Lucid until they prove they can handle production at mass scale. There may be a bunch of production issues that cause attractive buy the dip opportunities.
I don’t disagree, but the real dip to buy was below 20. I’ll add more as the dips come.

With the proposals changing about every 20 minutes that's a questionably definitive statement. This morning it's back to attacking mega-IRA's. That could be done reasonably, but "reason" is in short supply in Washington. Will be interesting to see if they waive early withdrawal penalties on required distributions from taxable accounts for owners under 59 1/2. Also want any accounts, taxable or Roth of $2.5 million or more reported to IRS annually.

First it was bank accounts over $600. Now it's IRAs. They're like a pack of wolves circling a flock of sheep looking for an easy target.

Here is a good article summarizing some of the latest proposal, which reintroduces some of the a possible restrictions on backdoor Roth IRAs and other measures.

Last edited:
Here is a good article summarizing some of the latest proposal, which reintroduces some of the a possible restrictions on Roth IRAs and other measures.
House Democrats hate people saving and investing. Not sure what the Senate will do yet? Might have to shift to a Roth 401k strategy.

House Democrats hate people saving and investing. Not sure what the Senate will do yet? Might have to shift to a Roth 401k strategy.
I’m retired and converting high 5 or low 6 figure every year. I have to think between scheduled tax bracket reversions in 2026 and possible restrictions on Roth, it makes sense—at least for me. Also, my tIRA is disproportionately large and when I die my wife will get taxed to no end with RMD for tIRA. Hopefully it all just passes to my kids tax free.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I’m retired and converting high 5 or low 6 figure every year. I have to think between scheduled tax bracket reversions in 2026 and possible restrictions on Roth, it makes sense—at least for me. Also, my tIRA is disproportionately large and when I die my wife will get taxed to no end with RMD for tIRA. Hopefully it all just passes to my kids tax free.
We still have 15 years on our timeline, but this can change. I haven't even thought about RMD and how to manage taxes with distributions. We have been building up our Roth funds for capital purchases in early retirement (likely a new house or two).

I have no major issue in banning future CONTRIBUTIONS when ROTH/Taxable IRAs/401(k)s reach $10 million. It's the required distribution acceleration I find offensive. The original proposal would have required the guy with the 4 billion Roth to distribute all but 10 million immediately. And because he is under 59 1/2, despite the fact it would come from a Roth, it would have been taxable and subject to the 10% early withdrawal penalty. That may be Bernie Sander's wet dream, but it's a nightmare for most of us.

Do you mean 30,000 shares ($780,000 in one company)? Or $30,000? Yikes, if it’s the former, that’s a lot for one company.
Play big or go home...

Lots of interesting events this week. Sounds like ARK/CW is dumping Zillow, but sticking with Peloton:

Zillow (ZG)​

icon-fall

25%​
Shares of Zillow (ZG) fell 25% on Wednesday after the company announced not only a significant miss relative to third quarter earnings expectations but also plans to shut down Zillow Offers, citing difficulties in forecasting home prices in volatile markets. In response, it is reducing its workforce by roughly 25%. In ARK's view, this news is the result of execution issues associated with Zillow's AI pricing algorithms despite its access to ample data, calling into question the high balance sheet risk necessary to enable the scaling of iBuying business models.​

Peloton (PTON)​

icon-fall

35.4%​
Shares of Peloton (PTON) traded down 35.4% today after the company missed Wall Street estimates for both revenue and earnings. Facing tough comparisons against its pandemic-related boom last year, Peloton cited supply chain costs and a reopening of the global economy for the disappointment relative to its own expectations. Despite these near-term headwinds, we believe that Peloton has disrupted the legacy health and fitness industry and, in the long run, will continue to cause mass migration to connected fitness at home. Peloton offers connected fitness products such as bikes and treadmills with subscriptions to live and on-demand fitness classes.​
PTON has even bigger issues than ZG. She should admit a mistake and dump both those companies.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Reactions: RUBlackout

Virtually every company that grants non-qualified options allows the sale of a portion of the shares received in the exercise of the grant to cover the tax liabilities. Since the sale takes place the same date as the exercise there is no capital gain, and the spread on the exercise is W-2 income. Now if Musk posted the poll knowing that the sales would take place it's somewhat deceptive, although it would take less than 10% of his entire holdings to cover the taxes.

The other question is California. Is Musk still a California resident and employee? If not, he could argue that only a portion of the exercise would be subject to state tax. If he has become a Texas resident, that would mean the appreciation from the grant date until he left the state as BOTH a resident and employee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT