ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Exited all of my GEV position today at 138. It's been a yoyo since spinoff so I may pick some of it back up. GS had a buy on it with PT 155 Tuesday and RJ put an outperform on it with a PT of 160 today but I'm good selling it here. I may just trade in and out of it if this yoyo-ing continues. I'm okay holding it longer term if I had to as I think it's a solid steady slower grower and should be okay with the energy transition with a foot both in the future and the past.

VZ, I mentioned 43 to maybe mid 40s might be resistance and it looks like it was. It's gone back into the high 30s. If it gets back into 37-38ish area, might not be a bad spot to reload some there. 7% yield in that vicinity, I'm good with that while I sit and wait.

LOL….guess someone figured out that was a bad look.
Laughed at for being unattainable and a gimmick when he originally signed it. Laughed at for being too much money when he attains it. Poor guy can’t catch a break. 😂

Reactions: RUDead
Lots of upside potential now with that expectation. This bull market will surely continue.
it's the opposite as the rate cuts coming off the table mean a repricing to the downside. That doesn't even begin to consider the possibility (very real) that inflationary pressure continue upward or when Israel hits back (which they will)

but on point, staying the course when the mkt expects a rate cut is not ideal for upside move. If another month of data comes in, the Sept cut (only one pricing per the screens) comes off and we'll see a move south.

I'm out of it now but UNH surging again near 500 and above that low 490s-ish resistance area. If it can hold this area definitively could be portend further gains in the future.

Reactions: RU-05
If I make a profit, I'm good. No regrets. Sometimes I'll be early buying/selling and sometimes right on time but either way if a profit is made, I can't complain. Just look for the next opportunity be it in the same stock or another.
Profit is profit, but no reason to think it doesn't creep back to $550'ish. Not sure of timelines, but it's the largest holding in the HC sector and defensives (including big tech) may rebound first from this dip.

Profit is profit, but no reason to think it doesn't creep back to $550'ish. Not sure of timelines, but it's the largest holding in the HC sector and defensives (including big tech) may rebound first from this dip.
It could and I said possibly range bound and that's about the high end of the range. All analyst PTs are in the 500s too even if some got reduced. I didn't want to hold it too long. Despite the surge on the day of the earnings report I thought it was kind of "muted" in a sense. I was thinking it might surge more up near that resistance of low 490s and then fall back but it never sniffed it that day. So that made me a little more gun shy to hold it longer. Just take my profit and go. It has for me somewhat surprisingly shown more strength in the 2 days after earnings. If it can stay above that resistance for awhile, it can definitely have more legs.

Stock down. Thought is NFLX no longer reporting subscriber numbers is a sign of problems to come.
Other streaming services did the same a while back. Time to focus on profit and revenue/sub and get off the sub number rat race.

Good decision for NFLX. I own via FS Insights stock list.

Bennie goes boom. Equity futures taking a hit. Oil rises quickly. May we live in interesting times.
Priceless buying opportunity when the market dips for no economic reason. The earnings season is already off to a great start!

I'm out of it now but UNH surging again near 500 and above that low 490s-ish resistance area. If it can hold this area definitively could be portend further gains in the future.
I finally looked at my accounts which had a lot of UNH. I sold about half of my shares for a profit this morning which was a surprise and kept some expecting to sell the rest at $520. When the high flying fall they have to move their money to safer investment meaning UNH. I expected to have to hold for at least a year to make a profit. Now I have to wait for BDX and JNJ.

Which stocks have bottomed and at what prices to buy? MSFT, CRM, AMZN, AAPL, VOO and any others high quality stocks. Have quite a few CDs that have matured or called, cash in saving account and sold other stocks XOMfor a profit but ready to reallocate to new stocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU in IM
I finally looked at my accounts which had a lot of UNH. I sold about half of my shares for a profit this morning which was a surprise and kept some expecting to sell the rest at $520. When the high flying fall they have to move their money to safer investment meaning UNH. I expected to have to hold for at least a year to make a profit. Now I have to wait for BDX and JNJ.

Which stocks have bottomed and at what prices to buy? MSFT, CRM, AMZN, AAPL, VOO and any others high quality stocks. Have quite a few CDs that have matured or called, cash in saving account and sold other stocks XOMfor a profit but ready to reallocate to new stocks.
I'm looking hard at an AAPL trade, probably call options (since I own so much already very ETFs and funds). Signs are pointing to a big AI plan to drop. Cook has been planning it for a while.

JNJ is interesting, hasn't done much since the Kenvue spin-off.

Last edited:
I'm looking hard at an AAPL trade, probably call options (since I own so much already very ETFs and funds). Signs are pointing to a big AI plan to drop. Cook has been planning it for a while.

JNJ is interesting, hasn't done much since the Kenvue spin-off.
I have some AAPL shares but waiting for upward movement before buying more.

Most of the Tech stocks earning coming out shortly so I assume big swing either up or down, probably up since most have been hit the last couple of weeks.

Sounds like this was a limited and telegraphed response. More political than meaningful. Perhaps everyone can calm down now.
Perhaps and hopefully so. But Iran publicly stated that no damage resulted from the strikes. That statement may have been prearranged to save face. Yet Bennie and company may not accept a "failed" strike and may hit again come late evening.

Perhaps and hopefully so. But Iran publicly stated that no damage resulted from the strikes. That statement may have been prearranged to save face. Yet Bennie and company may not accept a "failed" strike and may hit again come late evening.
that's Iranian Prop at work. It allows them to walk away with some dignity as most of the Muslims they are preaching to are ignorant wretches. What is concerning is why didn't Israel hit the nukes sites and how the fk does the int'l community not want that at this time?

Very symbolic of two countries that don't really want to fight. Iran's attack caused no damage and the response caused no damage.

Bibi's attack was perfectly planned. It caused the damage it was intended to (i.e., nothing).

Reactions: drewbagel423
Another dividend payer, Altria. MO was in a downtrend from 2017-20 but it's been holding a long term (20 years) support the last handful of years. Hugging it currently but still holding...just around a 9.5% yield.

Another dividend payer, Altria. MO was in a downtrend from 2017-20 but it's been holding a long term (20 years) support the last handful of years. Hugging it currently but still holding...just around a 9.5% yield.
Super high yield normally means super low growth and poor stock performance (which negates the yield). Sounds like a textbook value trap.

Super high yield normally means super low growth and poor stock performance (which negates the yield). Sounds like a textbook value trap.
They aren't suppose to be fast growth, that's the whole point. These kind of stocks can serve a different purpose to a portfolio. It also doesn't mean you can't get a decent return on them beyond the yield if you get in a decent price. You collect the yield while you wait. I'm fine with that. Not everything has to be META, NVDA, NFLX, TSLA or what have you.

Same for Verizon which I've mentioned above and I own that one. Actually, looking to reload some of what I got rid at the resistance area I mentioned. I just want it lower if it drops that much. Earnings is on Monday.

I've owned MO at times in the past, even before Kraft was spun out of it. But you always have to worry about the specter of gov't coming after them. First when it was tobacco back then and now with vaping and teens.

I sold all my MO after it came back, might buy back if it drops.

Cigarette maker now focusing on Asian markets, where smokers are a much higher % of the population. Beyond that, the company is focusing on the "going smokeless" trend in its traditional markets. Uninvestible to many, as a standalone, although it's included in so many index funds.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Added some more MSFT on the dip today. Lots of good buying opportunity's out there

Added some more MSFT on the dip today. Lots of good buying opportunity's out there
I saw some articles about META and their AI progress and was concerned about MSFT for about one second and then I remembered that META is still basically just a legacy social network hub and budding toy company. On the other hand, compared to Bitcoin, META’s valuation of over a trillion dollars seems downright cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT