ADVERTISEMENT

Playing St. Bonaventure instead of South Carolina in Canada?

This stinks. Our OOC sked keeps getting weaker. NJIT and now Bona.

Wasn’t Bona’s NET in the 170s and USC inthr 70s or 80s? It’s a big step down.

79 to 118 but South Carolina will be worse next season.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketbal...html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

“Bonnies are rated about equally to South Carolina FWIW. But it's one fewer high major on the schedule.
Rutgers signed a contract to play the Gamecocks on Saturday, Nov. 16 at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Ontario, Canada - an agreement first reported by NJ Advance Media - but the SEC team apparently had a change of plans. The Scarlet Knights’ new opponent is not yet known, but The Bona Blog reported Saturday that St. Bonaventure could be the replacement team. A source confirmed to NJ Advance Media the Bonnies have been mentioned as a potential fill-in.

South Carolina coach Frank Martin indicated earlier this week the Gamecocks were working through a potential schedule change. “There’s a hiccup on a game there that I can’t speak about, that I don’t know (if) it’s going to happen,” he told The State newspaper in Columbia, South Carolina.”

Looks like a SEC program that doesn’t want to stare down a “L” early in the season. As RU improves we will see more “ducking” by better programs until a loss to RU is considered a good loss. Whatever that means.

GO RU

Rutgers signed a contract to play the Gamecocks on Saturday, Nov. 16 at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Ontario, Canada - an agreement first reported by NJ Advance Media - but the SEC team apparently had a change of plans. The Scarlet Knights’ new opponent is not yet known, but The Bona Blog reported Saturday that St. Bonaventure could be the replacement team. A source confirmed to NJ Advance Media the Bonnies have been mentioned as a potential fill-in.

South Carolina coach Frank Martin indicated earlier this week the Gamecocks were working through a potential schedule change. “There’s a hiccup on a game there that I can’t speak about, that I don’t know (if) it’s going to happen,” he told The State newspaper in Columbia, South Carolina.”

Looks like a SEC program that doesn’t want to stare down a “L” early in the season. As RU improves we will see more “ducking” by better programs until a loss to RU is considered a good loss. Whatever that means.

GO RU

I wonder if someone (or multiple someones) on their team anticipate having trouble being allowed into Canada.

GO RU
Too bad, Frank. You broke the contract so pay us.

Hopefully we can upgrade schedule and get a P5 opppnent. Irony is Bonnies are probably better team but not for optics

Reactions: Local Shill
Rutgers was going to play Toronto? I know that there is a University of Toronto but I didn't know that Rutgers had scheduled them. Switching to St. Bonaventure should improve the strength of schedule.

Can’t solely rely on 20
Game Big Ten schedule alone, as Pike Clearly has hinted at.... Hope this mentality changes in coming years

20-21 season If we’re not in one of the pre season tourneys with 3 games against power five teams I’ll be Very disappointed.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Too bad, Frank. You broke the contract so pay us.
Will be interesting to see how that is handled. Methinks Rutgers won't get a check from South Carolina because the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame is setting this up. So USCe will probably have to write a check to them.
Yes and he also just added NJIT.
I think @NewJerseyHawk posted about the NJIT game a few weeks ago.
South Carolin is just afraid of getting a L. They ran like chickens.
Definitely not a good look for them. Would love to hear their explanation. I know that they were just assigned a game vs. Houston.

The OOC has been set for awhile, only variables was who we play in Gavitt if at all and the B1G/ACC matchup.

I would guess we find another home game and use that to pay the 100K...a home gate and revenue there, far exceeds the 100K. St Bona isn't playing South Carolina out of the SEC. Any mention of Bona being better is at best a guess. Playing SC is much stronger than Bona, just based on who SC will play in the improving SEC.

I'm not interested in playing Bona on a neutral court, but if we have to, I guess we can (although I wouldn't).

Better path is a 1 and done road game vs a neutral OR in addition to this neutral matchup.

“Welcome to Olean, NY where it might not be the end of the world but you can see it from here.”

Used to love when he said that.

Reactions: bac2therac
Rich and storied basketball tradition at St Bonnie but you have to be my age to appreciate it.

In my working life I came into contact with a number of St Bonnie guys over the years and they all loved the place

Reactions: patk89
The first and most important goal is a winning season.Rutgers had 7 league wins last year and still had a losing season .The OOC must give Rutgers some cushion to make a winning season more attainable.Nobody knows how much improvement the team will have in comparison to league competition .Fans need to look at the big picture where Rutgers is still viewed as a bottom tier basketball program.Achieving a winning season would be a step in the right direction to change perception and improve recruiting.

The first and most important goal is a winning season.Rutgers had 7 league wins last year and still had a losing season .The OOC must give Rutgers some cushion to make a winning season more attainable.Nobody knows how much improvement the team will have in comparison to league competition .Fans need to look at the big picture where Rutgers is still viewed as a bottom tier basketball program.Achieving a winning season would be a step in the right direction to change perception and improve recruiting.
+1

1. Does the game count?
2. Did we get the win?
3. Is it at the RAC?

If all three are yes, I’m good.

Who cares about the OOC? We play in the most competitive league in the country and the league with the most games.
same fans who are afraid to play Princeton. SMH.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Who cares about the OOC? We play in the most competitive league in the country and the league with the most games.
same fans who are afraid to play Princeton. SMH.
ACC is playing 20-conference games this season and the Pac12 is adopting a 20-game league schedule either this season or next.

Reactions: bac2therac
I wonder if someone (or multiple someones) on their team anticipate having trouble being allowed into Canada.
Don't know if this is still the case, but one could not get into Canada with a DUI without special permission.

the answer is to win so many big 10 games, the out of conference schedule won't matter....

I will say it again...non conference sos matters...that said St Bonnies could have a good season and land in the top 100 or even top 75

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT