ADVERTISEMENT

Playing St. Bonaventure instead of South Carolina in Canada?

Hopefully we will be having this conversation near the end of the season. Until that happens let’s win games.

I was at the A10 tourney. Bonnies are a good team. We built our team to compete in B10, so there are a lot of unknowns for us when playing good smaller conference teams. With that said, I would still prefer playing against a higher profile team.

I was at the A10 tourney. Bonnies are a good team. We built our team to compete in B10, so there are a lot of unknowns for us when playing good smaller conference teams. With that said, I would still prefer playing against a higher profile team.

They beat Fordham twice last season.
At The RAC RU wins but in Canada it's anyone's game.

Goin out to dinner now then the bars, chat tomorrow

Hobbs should be dialing all P5 AD’s and his big east cronies to schedule a game to make up for the South Carolina debacle. . He weakened the schedule in football - cancelling series Miami and with UCLA - which is another blemish in my eyes with Mr Hollywood.

Reactions: bac2therac
I keep saying I would love a Rutgers v Syracuse annual matchup in the garden ...each school get half of the tickets and a winner for the Big Apple trophy
That’s for St Johns and Cuse...we battle the Hall for Jersey. Just give me the Johnnies at msg instead of Carnesca like last time.

Reactions: Scangg and JoeRU
Tell that to Nebraska who won13 league games two years ago and got left out. Respectfully, you’re off base with this.

There's the bad information or uninformed stuff that keeps circulating....Nebraska was never getting a bid once early December started.

A) Nebraska had no more than 2 quality B1G wins out of their 13....

B) They got blown out by 77-58 after receiving a double bye in the B1G tournament by Michigan @ MSG...

C) @ St Johns.....79-56 loss in mid November in 3rd game of season.

D) @ Michigan State 86-57 loss in early December.

E) @ Creighton 75-65 loss....Creighton barely squeaked into NCAAS.

F) @ Purdue 74-62 loss.

G) @ Ohio State 64-59 loss to NCAA team.

H) @ Penn State was a quality win in OT 76-74...another NIT team

I) win at home over Michigan by 20 in mid January....best win of season.

J) Loss at Illinois by 6 in late February was the sealing indicator that they had ZERO shot.

K) beat Maryland at home by 4, which gave then their 2nd quality win of the season.

L) Loss to UCF by 9 on neutral court 68-59....a game you can lose, just not by almost 10 points.

They were not a 1 seed in NIT....not a 2....not a 3....they were a 4 seed in the NIT....as a 4 seed, there are at least 6 teams ahead of you in the pecking order....and lost immediately in the first round of NIT to 5th seeded Mississippi State.

Nebraska playing a better OOC would not have mattered at all....they had THREE games at St Johns, at Creighton at neutral to UCF and weren't competitive in any of the 3 games and if they didn't played another 2 "tougher games", nothing was going to change....losing by 23 and 10 to marginal Big East teams, was all the committee needed to see....add in UCF by 9 and the fate was sealed by early December.

There's one thing that matters...it's making sure you win the games you're supposed to....AND when you play a quality opponent OOC or in your league games, that you don't get run off the floor by SJU 23 or lose by 10, to your in-state rival in Creighton. Or 30 to Sparty or 12 to Purdue...

I know fans want to really believe this OOC stuff matters...the evidence doesn't support it, once the committee makes their evaluations, teams have 30 games to prove how good they are or aren't...and Nebraska didn't have any semblance of more than 2 quality wins they could have picked up in their 30 plus games...Maryland and Michigan at home....

The B1G was down with just 4 bids...and against the teams with bids, Nebraska went 2-5 in B1G vs MD, MSU, MICH, PURDUE and OSU...and 0-2 to Big East teams and 0-1 to AAC...adds up to 2-8 against teams that could have helped their cause....close the margins of defeat to something reasonably close and then 13 B1G wins would matter more.

The 5 losses were non competitive by final scores that shows Nebraska scheduling differently would not have mattered.

This is all ridiculous. Of course playing a better OOC helps you. Indiana lost 12 out of 13 games in the Big Ten at one point and STILL had a chance at the tournament thanks to two things: their two wins over Michigan State and non-conference wins over Marquette, Butler, and Louisville.

Of course you have to win the hard non-conference games you schedule for it to help you, but it's obviously preferable to do it that way and at least have a shot at doing something that helps your resume than to do nothing at all.

I don't think anybody is making South Carolina dropping out to be Rutgers' fault. But it is Rutgers' fault that, now that they have dropped out, our only two non-conference high-major games are contractually-obligated ones.

This is all ridiculous. Of course playing a better OOC helps you. Indiana lost 12 out of 13 games in the Big Ten at one point and STILL had a chance at the tournament thanks to two things: their two wins over Michigan State and non-conference wins over Marquette, Butler, and Louisville.

Of course you have to win the hard non-conference games you schedule for it to help you, but it's obviously preferable to do it that way and at least have a shot at doing something that helps your resume than to do nothing at all.

I don't think anybody is making South Carolina dropping out to be Rutgers' fault. But it is Rutgers' fault that, now that they have dropped out, our only two non-conference high-major games are contractually-obligated ones.

Shrill was.

Well, at the same time, I think Rutgers was expecting to be in the Gavitt Games and tried to schedule South Carolina. A month ago we were looking at this schedule as a good one, but it appears circumstances are making it not as exciting as it could be. That said, you gotta win the games you schedule. If Rutgers is 8-2 going into the Big Ten, we won't be complaining.

Obviously like Pike but he’s borderline ripping a page out of the Greg Schiano book of non conference scheduling.
what page is that.
How many of Schiano's OOC opponants dropped out because RU Football was getting to good to play and expect a victory.
Martin seen how RU MBB was getting better and didn't want to take a chance of a loss.

If you want to knock Pike for something, try he's making RU MBB more competitive and not the expected victory South Carolina expected when they agreed to the game. Costing Rutgers the chance to play USCe.

South Carolina is playing in the Cancun Challenge with Wichita State and West Virginia, and they're also wrapping up a home-and-home with Virginia this season. I don't know why they're dropping out of the Toronto game but I don't think it's because they're scared of Rutgers.

Reactions: Local Shill
South Carolina is playing in the Cancun Challenge with Wichita State and West Virginia, and they're also wrapping up a home-and-home with Virginia this season. I don't know why they're dropping out of the Toronto game but I don't think it's because they're scared of Rutgers.
They are the ones that are droping out, so your guess is as good as mine on reason.
Mine is: they feel their schedual's OOC is good enough to help get an NCAA bid if they have a good season and dropping Rutgers won't hurt their SOS along with feeling RU has a better chance to win then they thought when game was scheduled.

Hope, since you don't think that Rutgers competitiveness was a factor, we can agree Rutgers wasn't the one that wanted to cancel the game.

what page is that.
How many of Schiano's OOC opponants dropped out because RU Football was getting to good to play and expect a victory.
Martin seen how RU MBB was getting better and didn't want to take a chance of a loss.

If you want to knock Pike for something, try he's making RU MBB more competitive and not the expected victory South Carolina expected when they agreed to the game. Costing Rutgers the chance to play USCe.
He’s contractually obligated to play Seton and whatever ACC team RU is pared with. Bona is OK but the rest of the OOC is a pile of steaming dog crap. There’s still time to add another good OOC game but it appears we’re done. It’s a weak schedule. Calling it that has nothing to do with me liking Pikiell. He’s done a good job and I support him but this is a totally risk adverse OOC sked,

Reactions: Mr Magoo
what page is that.

I don't know how many ?

GS was about always getting to 6 wins because if he did he would go bowling and RU fans would be happy.

The idea that Frank Martin is afraid to play Rutgers is silly.

He’s contractually obligated to play Seton and whatever ACC team RU is pared with. Bona is OK but the rest of the OOC is a pile of steaming dog crap. There’s still time to add another good OOC game but it appears we’re done. It’s a weak schedule. Calling it that has nothing to do with me liking Pikiell. He’s done a good job and I support him but this is a totally risk adverse OOC sked,

Michigan State doesn’t come into the RAC this year and the B1G should be weaker than last year. Disappointing to think the best team coming in could be Seton Hall.

what page is that.

God you’re full of crap.

Reactions: RUDead
God you’re full of crap.
You forgot to add this [poop], if you think I'm full of it.:flush:
But what I said is what I feel and will stand by my opinion that the Men's Basketball program didn't back out of the USCe game .

Even though you feel Schiano scheduled a weaker OCC to make RU FB successful under him and implied Pike did the same in this case,I disageee about the Pike implication and Schanio scheduled weak OOC games is something for the FB board under past history, whether it's true or not.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Well, at the same time, I think Rutgers was expecting to be in the Gavitt Games and tried to schedule South Carolina. A month ago we were looking at this schedule as a good one, but it appears circumstances are making it not as exciting as it could be. That said, you gotta win the games you schedule. If Rutgers is 8-2 going into the Big Ten, we won't be complaining.

With the way the schedule is shaking out...we MUST be 8-2 to think about dancing ...I would be more comfortable with 9-1...which means winning all 8 games against non power five opponents, and splitting with the Hall and the ACC team both at the RAC.

You forgot to add this [poop], if you think I'm full of it.:flush:
But what I said is what I feel and will stand by my opinion that the Men's Basketball program didn't back out of the USCe game .

Even though you feel Schiano scheduled a weaker OCC to make RU FB successful under him and implied Pike did the same in this case,I disageee about the Pike implication and Schanio scheduled weak OOC games is something for the FB board under past history, whether it's true or not.

I don't think Rutgers backed out either - no one said tht and I'm not sure where you surmised that. My point is that we need to find one more game against a major conference opponent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg and MADHAT1
I'm with Shill. Hobbs needs to find another top OOC Opponent. From a Gavitt game on the road and South Carolina in Toronto to now in all likelihood, St Bonny in Toronto isn;t going to cut it for a team with "expectations".

I don't think Rutgers backed out either - no one is and I'm not sure were you surmised that. My point is that we need to find one more game against a major conference opponent.
If that's the case, my apologies for implying/saying you did.

As for scheduling a better opponent, it would have been nice if there was one available.
I don't know if there was one or not and if any possible replacements better than the Bonnies would have wanted to play in Toronto.

I believe South Carolina just added a 2 year contract with Houston and that has caused them to want to get out of the game with RU. We wanted to have Eugene play a game near his family and I believe I read that South Carolina wanted to play there as well as I think they have a team member who lives near Toronto as well.

I believe South Carolina just added a 2 year contract with Houston and that has caused them to want to get out of the game with RU. We wanted to have Eugene play a game near his family and I believe I read that South Carolina wanted to play there as well as I think they have a team member who lives near Toronto as well.

The Houston game is a part of an AAC/SEC scheduling alliance.

Now it becomes imperative to knock off a few of the top teams in the league. Maybe go to Michigan State and steal one. Heck we were a cory Sanders jump shot away from winning there a couple years ago

Reactions: Scangg and mfgiguy
A winning record and staying competitive is a big plus for Pike to sell. 18-14 is strong progress. It says we need one or two more players and we are a Tourney team for several years.

The OOC is not strong, but I would take a much higher winning record with close to 500 in conference. It would be the next step.

Reactions: RUDead

dont let Hawk fool you....OOC Matters period.

The Big 10 was extremely strong last year, it wasnt the year before, who knows what it will be next year, its all in how the conference fares OOC that sets up what the metrics will be

that being said St Bonnies could end up with a good net ranking

Bart preseason.....
St. Bonnie #97
South carolina #101

For NCAA purposes it doesn't matter the name of the school.

I'd rather beat a 21-10 St. Bonnie rated #97 then a 13-18 USCe team.

Let's move on....unless Bob Lanier plays

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT