ADVERTISEMENT

Some Updated Bowl Projections After Week 8

There is a ND option for them this year.
The Orange Bowl must select the highest ranked team from B1G SEC or Notre Dame to play ACC champ. If that team is from B1G then B1G loses Reliaquest. Not sure of the selection order of non semi final NY6 bowls between orange fiesta cotton and peach. So question is which team will be ranked higher, Michigan/OSU loser, or 2nd place SEC (ND not happening for orange with 2 losses).

The Orange Bowl must select the highest ranked team from B1G SEC or Notre Dame to play ACC champ. If that team is from B1G then B1G loses Reliaquest. Not sure of the selection order of non semi final NY6 bowls between orange fiesta cotton and peach. So question is which team will be ranked higher, Michigan/OSU loser, or 2nd place SEC (ND not happening for orange with 2 losses).
I believe for trying to figure out where RU will go, it is easiest to consider the Reliaquest not available and OSU/PSU/Mich already picked, and RU fighting with everyone else left for three decent bowls (Citrus. Music City and Vegas).

If the three schools above are in the playoff/NYD bowls, the Reliaquest isn’t available to the B1G.

If one of those three schools doesn’t make the playoff/NYD, the Reliaquest hecomes available but that team takes the Citrus and bumps everyone down.

False. B1G has variety clauses that this year exclude a team for every B1G bowl except Quick Lane.

Citrus - no Purdue
Reliaquest - no Illinois
Music City - no Iowa
Vegas - no Wisconsin
Pinstripe - no Minnesota
Phoenix - no Wisconsin

The variety clause says they can only have a repeat once every 5 years. Iowa went to Citrus in 2022. In my opinion, if we were to hypothetically beat Iowa and Wisconsin doesn’t win the west outright, we’d have a very good case for that bid no matter what else happens. Tall task though.

How does this change if Michigan vacates wins?

How does this change if Michigan vacates wins?
I imagine if Michigan vacating wins knocks them out of the NY6 bowls, then unless PSU/OSU is in the Orange Bowl, it means the B1G also gets the Reliaquest Bowl slot this season. But if they are still bowl eligible, you know they are getting picked ahead of us for TV ratings/travel etc. I don't think it would affect our bowl much.

I posted this in another thread but - with regards to the B1G bowl tie-ins - I want to know how many teams from the B1G will be bowl eligible by the end of the season. There are already 4 teams in the East that are bowl eligible (with Maryland at 5 wins). In the West, there are only 2 teams that are bowl eligible (and those that aren't have 2, 3, or 4 wins).

I think the conference will have 8 teams bowl eligible. Meaning, that there should be one for each of the bowl tie-ins. HOWEVER, what do think might be the most likely landing spot for a 6-win team / team not selected by a tie-in outside of these six? (I know that we won't really know that until late November, early December .. but it makes for fun conversation). And, of course, it could create opportunities for Rutgers - and some of our fellow B1G conference members - in the event that there are more bowl eligible teams.

I imagine if Michigan vacating wins knocks them out of the NY6 bowls, then unless PSU/OSU is in the Orange Bowl, it means the B1G also gets the Reliaquest Bowl slot this season. But if they are still bowl eligible, you know they are getting picked ahead of us for TV ratings/travel etc. I don't think it would affect our bowl much.
It depends how many wins get vacated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT