ADVERTISEMENT

The OFFICIAL March 13-14 Winter Weather Thread (This is the B1G 1)

At 8:30 a.m. only 3.5" of accumulation in New Brunswick. Definitely not enough to warrant a mandatory snow day!!

Forcing employees to stay home and burn an Administrative Day worth $XXX.xx in shitty March for 4" to 7"
if snow sucks! It should be a choice.

This is why in 2012 approximately 35,000 middle class and upper middle class families left our state and relocated to states with warmer climates. That's families not individuals. I'm done venting!!

Do you live in New Brunswick? Because I do and I don't want to walk outside to get a paper. The snow is coming in sideways for crying out loud. You went full retard.

There was a lot of debate as to where the sleet line would be in south/central NJ but no talk of north NJ...it is well into north west NJ now with all ice

Guy on news12nj just had the radar up that showed all blue color over north NJ and said you are getting heavy snow right now..meanwhile it's been sleet for last 40 min...how are they that wrong still?

Guy on news12nj just had the radar up that showed all blue color over north NJ and said you are getting heavy snow right now..meanwhile it's been sleet for last 40 min...how are they that wrong still?
He is not wrong. Hawthorne just changed back to large flakes 10 minutes ago after heavy sleet.

NWS updated maps again. These are looking like last night's NAM, lol. Pretty big bust for the I-95 corridor in terms of snowfall, but not in terms of total frozen precip, at least from maybe Trenton northward, where it hasn't been rain as far as I know. I had about 7" of snow/sleet on the ground about 90 minuntes ago (7.5" now) and I shoveled the driveway and I now have about 2" of sleet there, which is the equivalent of about 6" of snow, so I have about 13" of "snow equivalent," in terms of total frozen precip mass, which is just as hard to shovel or plow and is just as bad on the roads - it's just not the same depth it would be if it were all snow.

From a meteorological perspective, snow and sleet are just counted together, as depth, so it is more of a bust from that perspective. Should get another inch or two of sleet (3-6" snow equivalent, which would bring us to 16-19" of "snow equivalent" mass) unless it changes to rain, although it's still just 29F, so that's unlikely - and if it does, it would be freezing rain, which the NWS warned about, which would be really bad. Anyway, here are the updated maps.

17264848_10210588054731614_9108439917746945021_n.jpg

15134557_10210588058771715_8239621663016112553_n.jpg
That map for central and coastal Monmouth County is nonsense unless it changes back to snow. Still pouring rain here. Just had a fire call in Sea Bright. Tide will be high in an hour and there should be some flooding at least on the side streets. Winds are whipping off the beach. But ZERO SNOW.

Reactions: bac2therac
Now the HRRR busted for alot of the area with its amounts but here is a map of additional snowfall it shows...you can see if you are north of 78 you are still going to be hit with this..the rest just lighter snows if we get that. Everyone has a shot to go back to snow before ending

should start to wind down for between noon and 2 except for those places getting rocked

hrrr_asnow_us_18.png

Really? Flip your statement raound. Not as bad as you thought in your area so it is a bust? The storm is not a joke. That is the problem with these threads. Travel bans, accidents all over the place. People attempting to go out because they did not get the amount of snow they were suppose to. Ice all over the place in Northern Jersey now an top of heavy amounts of snow. Much like win loss predictions months before seasons start let's wait until the storm is over before calling it a bust. We started here with snow, died down, then had the biggest flakes I have ever seen, now pounding sleet and ice.
The NWS called off all the Blizzard Warnings, Ocean and Monmouth got mainly rain. No one is saying that you should be driving around, I sure haven't so leave me out of your rant! The media hyped this storm for days as a major snow event. Ignorning the more dangerous ice event it has become especially in very populated areas. Keep snowfall maps that were impossible to obtain up to 8am this morning.
Snow sells, using the word blizzard is sexy and gets everyone watching the news. The coverage of this storm was a complete joke.

Reactions: CJ1987 and RU31trap
The NWS called off all the Blizzard Warnings, Ocean and Monmouth got mainly rain. No one is saying that you should be driving around, I sure haven't so leave me out of your rant! The media hyped this storm for days as a major snow event. Ignorning the more dangerous ice event it has become especially in very populated areas. Keep snowfall maps that were impossible to obtain up to 8am this morning.
Snow sells, using the word blizzard is sexy and gets everyone watching the news. The coverage of this storm was a complete joke.
Easy big guy. No rant just calling like I see it. The storm has changed numerous times throughout the day and will continue.

Reactions: ScarletJack
This feels like an epic bust. Seem like a lot of the mets are trying to say that we are still getting the same amount of precipitation to save face. However, that is the equivalent of saying 'it wound up completely different than I forecast, but here are the reasons I wasn't wrong.......' Realize this was a hard storm to predict, but that you can't be considered good at your job if you can only forecast the easy storms.

NWS updated maps again. These are looking like last night's NAM, lol. Pretty big bust for the I-95 corridor in terms of snowfall, but not in terms of total frozen precip, at least from maybe Trenton northward, where it hasn't been rain as far as I know. I had about 7" of snow/sleet on the ground about 90 minuntes ago (7.5" now) and I shoveled the driveway and I now have about 2" of sleet there, which is the equivalent of about 6" of snow, so I have about 13" of "snow equivalent," in terms of total frozen precip mass, which is just as hard to shovel or plow and is just as bad on the roads - it's just not the same depth it would be if it were all snow.

From a meteorological perspective, snow and sleet are just counted together, as depth, so it is more of a bust from that perspective. Should get another inch or two of sleet (3-6" snow equivalent, which would bring us to 16-19" of "snow equivalent" mass) unless it changes to rain, although it's still just 29F, so that's unlikely - and if it does, it would be freezing rain, which the NWS warned about, which would be really bad. Anyway, here are the updated maps.

17264848_10210588054731614_9108439917746945021_n.jpg

15134557_10210588058771715_8239621663016112553_n.jpg

haha you are a weenie if you talk about snow equivalent...lol it doesnt work that way, stop it. I have near anyhow talk about adding the sleet to make a snow equivalent

anyhow this is the map they should have posted at 7AM instead of keeping 12-18 for my area...at least they came to their senses but Mt Holly will take a beating in the aftermath of this bust for large portions of the area.

I received 4-5 inches here in Belle Mead....seeing up to 6 in Hillsborough/Somerville so a small jog to the north matters in terms of accumulation

Reactions: Knight Shift
This feels like an epic bust. Seem like a lot of the mets are trying to say that we are still getting the same amount of precipitation to save face. However, that is the equivalent of saying 'it wound up completely different than I forecast, but here are the reasons I wasn't wrong.......' Realize this was a hard storm to predict, but that you can't be considered good at your job if you can only forecast the easy storms.

Im not a met but I even knew last night that the NAM and RGEM were two possibilities that turned out right....plus the Weather Channel was spot on in predicting the mixing cutting the totals. The question is why were the tv mets and Mt Holly/Upton refusing to even discuss a reduction...its one thing to not change a forecast based on a couple of models but they were not even laying out this scenerio..this is where the failure comes in. You cannot hype a blizzard for an entire region including the I95 corridor and then get off scott free when it does not happen

Reactions: Saint Puppy
That map for central and coastal Monmouth County is nonsense unless it changes back to snow. Still pouring rain here. Just had a fire call in Sea Bright. Tide will be high in an hour and there should be some flooding at least on the side streets. Winds are whipping off the beach. But ZERO SNOW.

I blame you..was this the first storm thread you started....you hyped the big one! it was you! your fault!:boxing:

Im not a met but I even knew last night that the NAM and RGEM were two possibilities that turned out right....plus the Weather Channel was spot on in predicting the mixing cutting the totals. The question is why were the tv mets and Mt Holly/Upton refusing to even discuss a reduction...its one thing to not change a forecast based on a couple of models but they were not even laying out this scenerio..this is where the failure comes in. You cannot hype a blizzard for an entire region including the I95 corridor and then get off scott free when it does not happen
Simple answer. Hype of storms drives ratings and revenue for TV stations.

because there seems to be no accountability in weather forecasting anymore. They do not do the hard work. Was that Curren or another guy? I find News 12 to be pretty awful

and Nick Gregory doubled down on 12-20 last night as he went off the air, he said he said he saw new data (presumably the NAM/RGEM) and he was going to hold firm with his forecast.

I will give some credit to Lee Goldberg who was mentioning the mix possibility up to NYC and hedging on the big amounts and Bill Evans was the first met to step to the plate and bring NYC totals down to 3-6 this morning

Reactions: Saint Puppy

Quite frankly I feel like this happens a lot more often than I ever remember it. I put it up to the fact that extreme/dynamic weather sells. It keeps people tuned into their TVs - nobody wants to hear moderate accumulations mixed in with rain or sleet - 18-24 inches sells! Sad but true.

Agree. Seems like a lot of these guys are so concerned with being right that they refuse to back off their predictions even when they know it can't materialize. It's like its a pride thing with them. And then they spend a lot of time making the case why they weren't REALLY that wrong. It either did what you said it would or it didn't. And if it didn't, you were wrong. Guys who do this for a living have to be better than that, especially with all the technology available to them.

haha you are a weenie if you talk about snow equivalent...lol it doesnt work that way, stop it. I have near anyhow talk about adding the sleet to make a snow equivalent

anyhow this is the map they should have posted at 7AM instead of keeping 12-18 for my area...at least they came to their senses but Mt Holly will take a beating in the aftermath of this bust for large portions of the area.

I received 4-5 inches here in Belle Mead....seeing up to 6 in Hillsborough/Somerville so a small jog to the north matters in terms of accumulation
Just wait until the snow totals from the weenies/observers are posted. Thats when the real BS begins. The person in Bensalem is confusing centimeters with inches.

Quite frankly I feel like this happens a lot more often than I ever remember it. I put it up to the fact that extreme/dynamic weather sells. It keeps people tuned into their TVs - nobody wants to hear moderate accumulations mixed in with rain or sleet - 18-24 inches sells! Sad but true.

January 2015 was a worse bust than this...thing is people forget the busts rather quickly...i don't...i tried to dig up the snow thread for that bust but was unable to retreive it for some reason

changing back over to snow in Basking Ridge now. Decent snowfall rate

Well we've had a mix of sleet, heavy flakes and what I call driving snow (small flakes, but coming down very heavy and fast) over the last hour. Can't understand the sleet, as my backyard thermometer sits right around 20. Must be due to upper level temps.
Hawthorne NJ getting crushed. Biggest snowflakes I have seen yet. We live on a hill. Plows were coming fast and furious around 4 AM. I now see a plow stuck at the bottom of the hill. Again please stop with "this storm is a bust". Be safe everyone
Yep, as I said before, just over the hill from Hawthorne, although I'm high up on the hill like William Paterson. So we're pretty much getting the same conditions. By the way, weren't we getting together for a beer at some point? We need to make that happen!

It''s agonizing to shovel in Passaic right now with the wind and heavy sleet lashing your face....but better to do it than wait until you have a frozen crust on 10 inches of snow.

All the radar maps showing pink sleet line way down in central south NJ and showing all snow in the north. The meteorologists going by this and continue to say heavy snow where it's showing as blue on the radar but that's not what's actually happening.

Funny, hadn't thought about this all day until TWC just showed a graphic of where their 11 reporters in the field will be and Cantore's going to be in Boston. So we're ok, lol...
Man, Cantore must be really loving all the snow right now. Wish he was here in Jersey but with our Rutgers luck, he would he in Jersey and all of Jersey would have freezing rain instead. haha

Well it's a bust in DC. My company was having a conference in DC this week with everyone traveling today (Monday). Last night they cancelled it as the weather channel was predicting as much as 10-12 inches. Well........ now they are predicting 1 inch in DC. It may not be a bust in some places, but it is in others. Costing a lot of planning and money.

In my experience, Washingtonians go crazy at the first flake of snow, and do poorly in coping with it. It might just be just as well that the event was cancelled.

Well we've had a mix of sleet, heavy flakes and what I call driving snow (small flakes, but coming down very heavy and fast) over the last hour. Can't understand the sleet, as my backyard thermometer sits right around 20. Must be due to upper level temps.

Yep, as I said before, just over the hill from Hawthorne, although I'm high up on the hill like William Paterson. So we're pretty much getting the same conditions. By the way, weren't we getting together for a beer at some point? We need to make that happen!
I'm in :beer:

It''s agonizing to shovel in Passaic right now with the wind and heavy sleet lashing your face....but better to do it than wait until you have a frozen crust on 10 inches of snow.

Many years back I did the same as you during a snow and sleet storm, while my neighbors waited for the storm to end. When it was over they went out and were able to shovel down into the snow and lift the ice crust off. I was stuck trying to break and melt ice off my driveway for days.

Changed back to light snow here in Haddonfield. Thank goodness. The wife was out walking the dog and heard numerous cracking sounds from tree branches. Of course she wanted to get the hell back in the house so as not to have a branch dropped on her head but the dog insisted on looking for that exact perfect spot to do his business. Hopefully the freezing rain is over for us.

Last edited:
Just shot a picture of the back patio out the patio door, before we head out front to start our first round of clearing out:

BackPatio_zpsokdewztl.jpg

Reactions: RuBird
Many years back I did the same as you during a snow and sleet storm, while my neighbors waited for the storm to end. When it was over they went out and were able to shovel down into the snow and lift the ice crust off. I was stuck trying to break and melt ice off my driveway for days.

yes its almost better to keep the snow as a buffer to the ground from the sleet, if you remove the snow, then the sleet will accumulate and it is virtually impossible to remove

Will snowblowers even work with this mix type stuff we have gotten? Im in central jersey (Hamilton) it looks like about 3" of sleet snow mix on the ground

Here are snow totals reported by Mt Holly..some of these numbers were reported 7-8AM so some places got additional amounts

NEW JERSEY

...ATLANTIC COUNTY...
BUENA VISTA TWP 1.1 947 AM 3/14 CO-OP OBSERVER

...BURLINGTON COUNTY...
FLORENCE 4.0 415 AM 3/14 TRAINED SPOTTER
1 ESE CINNAMINSON TW 3.5 715 AM 3/14 COCORAHS
BURLINGTON 3.3 340 AM 3/14 NWS EMPLOYEE
MOUNT HOLLY WFO 3.3 836 AM 3/14 NWS OFFICE
3 ENE MOUNT LAUREL T 2.8 700 AM 3/14 COCORAHS
MOUNT LAUREL 2.8 700 AM 3/14 RETIRED MET
1 SE MOORESTOWN TWP 2.5 826 AM 3/14 COCORAHS
MOORESTOWN 2.3 808 AM 3/14 TRAINED SPOTTER