ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: FiveThirtyEight: (9) Rutgers falls to Louisville in Sweet 16

CranfordKnight

All Conference
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2006
What could have been!

FiveThirtyEight is doing a mock tournament using ESPN Bracketology, their forecast probabilities and a 100-sided dice. After beating (8) St. Mary's in the first round of the West Regional, we stunned top seed Baylor by a point to advance to the Sweet 16, where we will face (4) Louisville.

In the opening round, we were 60% favorites despite the lower seed. In Round 2, we overcame odds of 29% to win, and have a 28% chance of advancing to the Elite 8 to face the winner of (2) Creighton and (3) Michigan St. for a spot in the Final Four. We currently have a 3% chance of winning the National Championship, tied for 11th of the 16 teams remaining.

From the Big Ten, in addition to MSU, we are joined in the Sweet 16 by (4) Maryland and (11) Indiana, who knocked off (3) Seton Hall in the 2nd Rd.

The 8th seeded women, unfortunately, were upset in the first round as a 66% favorite, to 9th seeded Central Michigan.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...d-in-the-second-round-of-the-ncaa-tournament/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-might-have-happened-in-the-ncaa-tournaments-sweet-16/

UPDATE: (9) Rutgers edged by (4) Louisville in the Sweet 16. (3) MSU and (4) Maryland advance to the Elite Eight, while Creighton's loss to MSU ends the Big East's chances of winning a title.

Last edited:
Storming the court just shows, in my opinion, that you never believed you belonged in the game. This year rutgers earned the respect so if next year every win against a ranked team has a court storming, I'll be disappointed

Storming the court just shows, in my opinion, that you never believed you belonged in the game. This year rutgers earned the respect so if next year every win against a ranked team has a court storming, I'll be disappointed
You are so out-of-touch.

Rutgers beating Maryland pretty much sured-up an NCAA Tourney invite for a student fan base that had ZERO expectation of Rutgers basketball making it to the tourney based on almost 30 years of futility... but beating a Top Ten Maryland team in those circumstances is no reason for celebration?

Get lost.

For all we know it was that celebration that charged up the players so they got over the road-game hump vs Purdue. But you think you know how fans should think and act.

Get lost.

Loser mentality. Winners celebrate. Losers “pretend” they are not excited. College storming is about the students getting to go celebrate with their classmates immediately. I hope we do it for every game where a celebration is fitting

You are so out-of-touch.

Rutgers beating Maryland pretty much sured-up an NCAA Tourney invite for a student fan base that had ZERO expectation of Rutgers basketball making it to the tourney based on almost 30 years of futility... but beating a Top Ten Maryland team in those circumstances is no reason for celebration?

Get lost.

For all we know it was that celebration that charged up the players so they got over the road-game hump vs Purdue. But you think you know how fans should think and act.

Get lost.
I fully expected Rutgers to make the tournament and win 20 games this year

I fully expected Rutgers to make the tournament and win 20 games this year
WHEN.. when did you "expect" that? After the SHU game? That's when I figured they had something special this time.

Was it during the St. Bonnies game when you wrote this:

"I've been in England and just got back in the country and caught a good portion of the game on my phone. Terrible coaching from Pike in so many ways. Ugh. Team looks soft and not playing with intensity. Pike needs to figure out the minutes and player combinations. The end of the game was a coaching disaster. Why weren't we pounding Myles inside? Then we take him out and press when they missed 10 out of 11 shots and leads to easy baskets. The clock management was embarrassing at the end. Lot of season left though. Can't overreact"​

The point is, when students choose to attend Rutgers, NCAA Tourneys for the basketball team were not part of the equation.

Last edited:
I actually like it when the fans storm the court. It is exciting when we defeat a really highly ranked team. I just hope no one ever gets hurt in one of the celebrations. These are exciting times for RU.

Reactions: ScarletDave
WHEN.. when did you "expect" that? After the SHU game? That's when I figured they had something special this time.

"I've been in England and just got back in the country and caught a good portion of the game on my phone. Terrible coaching from Pike in so many ways. Ugh. Team looks soft and not playing with intensity. Pike needs to figure out the minutes and player combinations. The end of the game was a coaching disaster. Why weren't we pounding Myles inside? Then we take him out and press when they missed 10 out of 11 shots and leads to easy baskets. The clock management was embarrassing at the end. Lot of season left though. Can't overreact"​

The point is, when students choose to attend Rutgers, NCAA Tourneys for the basketball team were not part of the equation.

Not only did he predict we'd go to the tournament and finish 11-9 in league (he's been good about reminding us :WideSmile:), but even the quote you trolled up was optimistic. Just a failure of a post all around.

Exactly, Rutgers woulda been in the tournament this year so yea I think if it happens a bunch next year it's pretty embarrassing. Rutgers fans should have more confidence next year. But sure, keep acting like bottom feeders. Seth Greenberg now works in TV because all he cared about was beating Duke and storming the court.

This sounds the most realistic of it all. Rough season for the women.
I'll take a rough season if it means 20 wins. It's amazing that we call the early exit rough all because they have established a level of expectation. That's what happens when have years of success since forever.

It's going to be fun in future as both teams look to continue having success on the court and 20 wins is the baseline.

You are so out-of-touch.

Get lost.

Get lost.
IMO it was the equivalent of doing the same in Football after the Navy game in 2005. For those reasons you listed.

Prior to the season. Check the season prediction thread. Was actually calling this year as an NCAA tournament team since last season. Didn't change once EO left. Thought we would be better with Yeboah spacing the floor. Nothing about that post contradicts any of that. That was probably our worst game of the season and I even said lots of season left can't overreact. Not sure what point you were trying to prove but you failed.

Prior to the season. Check the season prediction thread. Was actually calling this year as an NCAA tournament team since last season. Didn't change once EO left. Thought we would be better with Yeboah spacing the floor. Nothing about that post contradicts any of that. That was probably our worst game of the season and I even said lots of season left can't overreact. Not sure what point you were trying to prove but you failed.

oh.. I looked for the season prediction thread.. did not see your post. Besides.. it doesn't matter what YOU predicted.

My point was toward why students stormed the court after beating Maryland.. as a whole, they hoped for the NCAAs.. sure.. they can do that every year. Just like some here are hoping GS can bring us to a bowl game.. but after nearly 30 years of futility? With the Big Ten itself and many sources predicting we'd be 12th of 14 teams? With the Big Ten never getting more than 8 teams into the Dance?

C'mon.. be real.. your guess.. your hope.. your prediction is not a response to my point about beating Maryland.

Rutgers has a good chance of being a top 25 team next year. Court storming would be an embarrassment.

Reactions: CranfordKnight

Actually ...i was on record in October predicting a 20-11 record.

Actually ...I was on record in October predicting a 20-11 record.

oh.. you're the one?

bet you had us losing to St. Bonnies too.

I suppose your prediction meant the kids in the stands all believed it too.. right from October.. and they had no right to storm the court after beating Maryland.. because they should have expected it.. which was the entire point of my post.

Last edited:
We are in the Final Four in Brad Wachtel's PlayTheTournament.com. We are in the Final Four against Seton Hall in that one. I believe Michigan and Maryland make up the other Final Four game.

Older ones in the 100s don’t wanna storm, fine. But the students in the student section should be able to go celebrate on the court with their fellow students any time they see fit. As a student for 4 years in the B1G stretch you only get so many possible opportunities to do it where there’s a meaningful enough game a the team actually wins, that it is something special. To worry about what your COMPETITORS feel about when YOU deserve to CELEBRATE and to what level you get to celebrate, is what is weak. Not court storming. It’s supposed to be fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT