ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Pandemic: Transmissions, Deaths, Treatments, Vaccines, Interventions and More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1
The data is irrefutable. If we want to slow the spread of the virus, actions like protesting needs to end. Standing shoulder to shoulder while yelling and chanting is about as dangerous as it can get.

How is the LA area doing? Are there particular hot spots?
It’s blowing up. The so called protestors, as was very obvious, were a major factor. The interesting thing is hospitalizations. I was had a lunch meeting with the person that runs Covid response on the tech side for USC. She asked me to guess how many total cases there were in all 3 hospitals. I guessed 350. Real number? 6.

She also had some interesting things to say about testing. Apparently a lot were coming back positive, some that they knew weren’t. Something funny is going on out there.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.29.20143131v1.full.pdf+html

Findings: We document a country-wide increase of over 3.06 cases per day, per 100,000 population, following the onset of the protests (95%CI: 2.47–3.65), and a further increase of 1.73 cases per day, per 100,000 population, in the counties in which the protests took place (95%CI: 0.59–2.87). Relative to the week preceding the onset of the protests, this represents a 61.2% country-wide increase in COVID-19 cases, and a further 34.6% increase in the protest counties.

Well, we now have two papers (neither peer-reviewed yet) analyzing the same data (even through the same date, 6/20), in theory, coming to different conclusions. I don't have the time to go through them, but the one red flag for me on the paper you cited was that US cases were completely flat (using 7-day moving averages, below) from 5/27 (the day before the protests started) to 6/14, while the paper talks about measurable case increases per day for the US. If there were a true spike, since cases manifest themselves with symptoms in about 5 days, one would've expected to see cases rising easily within 5-10 days, but instead there were no increases for 18 days. This was followed by a 21% increase in US cases from 6/14 to 6/20, which is the overall increase from 5/27 to 6/20, so where do they get the 61% countrywide increase from, overall? The math is just not adding up there, unless I'm missing something.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408....xsZ91jyO89-5DuB9b7Fze1-_t08Ng4yxXRi0IYvCgjQMQ

eqeChq2.png

Reactions: Greg2020
+1
The data is irrefutable. If we want to slow the spread of the virus, actions like protesting needs to end. Standing shoulder to shoulder while yelling and chanting is about as dangerous as it can get.

Common sense says this happen...dont need a pushed doctored narrative

It’s blowing up. The so called protestors, as was very obvious, were a major factor. The interesting thing is hospitalizations. I was had a lunch meeting with the person that runs Covid response on the tech side for USC. She asked me to guess how many total cases there were in all 3 hospitals. I guessed 350. Real number? 6.

She also had some interesting things to say about testing. Apparently a lot were coming back positive, some that they knew weren’t. Something funny is going on out there.

Interesting

Well, we now have two papers (neither peer-reviewed yet) analyzing the same data (even through the same date, 6/20), in theory, coming to different conclusions. I don't have the time to go through them, but the one red flag for me on the paper you cited was that US cases were completely flat (using 7-day moving averages, below) from 5/27 (the day before the protests started) to 6/14, while the paper talks about measurable case increases per day for the US. If there were a true spike, since cases manifest themselves with symptoms in about 5 days, one would've expected to see cases rising easily within 5-10 days, but instead there were no increases for 18 days. This was followed by a 21% increase in US cases from 6/14 to 6/20, which is the overall increase from 5/27 to 6/20, so where do they get the 61% countrywide increase from, overall? The math is just not adding up there, unless I'm missing something.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408....xsZ91jyO89-5DuB9b7Fze1-_t08Ng4yxXRi0IYvCgjQMQ

eqeChq2.png
In this paper, we employ the natural experimental setting created by the U.S. protests precipitated by George Floyd’s tragic death to document the causal impact of social distancing measures on the spread of SARS-CoV-2. Using a DID analysis, in which the treatment effect corresponds to the onset of the protests and the treatment group corresponds to the counties in which protests reportedly took place, we document a country-wide increase of more than 3·06 cases per day, per 100,000 population, following the onset of the protests, and a further increase of 1·73 cases per day, per 100,000 population, in the counties in which the protests took place. Relative to the average number of new COVID-19 cases per day during the week preceding the onset of the protests, this represents a 61·2% country-wide increase in COVID-19 cases, and further 34·6% increase in the protest counties.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
That was not the political reply I was talking about.

As per the video, Fauci did say masks were effective, and he also said i that video that the reason he is not recommending masks to the general public is because he wanted to preserve what masks we had for the medical professionals.

It's all in the one minute thirty second video.

People acting like Fauci said "masks are not effective" are pushing an obvious agenda.

"When you are in the middle of and outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little better and it might even block a droplet" Translation of this statement by Fauci: masks are not effective. This, plus he gave no respect towards Covid positive asymptomatics and presymptomatics. He says to wear a mask "if you are infected". How many thousands and tens of thousands of people were walking around spreading it to others who didn't even know they were infected? A preventative mask/mouth covering would have blocked a whole hell more than "a droplet" and would have reduced the spread of this virus back in March multi-fold. This was one of the big misses in limiting the damage Covid has caused.

The Recovery Trial where they massively overdosed patients and basically murdered them? The study where they refused to release detailed data to hide the fact that they overdosed patients and killed them? In many countries 1875mg of HCQ a day is considered the overdose threshold to seek immediate attention. The Recovery trial dosed 2400mg day one and then 800mg for nine more days for a total of 9.6g. With a half life of 30 days the accumulated HCQ was well above overdose levels. Hence, they never released study report/data/info. The lethal dose of HCQ is 4g. With the long half life, 9.6g over ten days was lethal. The best part was when asked about it, the JO Landray justified the high dosing by saying it is what he saw was used for amoebic dysentery. Problem is HCQ is not used to treat that condtion, hydroxyquinoline is...

If they "murdered" them, they didn't do a very good job, as the mortality rates for the HCQ and control arms were statistically the same. And chloroquine, which is almost identical to hydroxychlorioquine, is used to treat amoebic dysentery and HCQ is generally considered safer than CQ, which is why doctors went much more for HCQ for COVID, realizing higher doses would likely be better for trying to knock out the virus. So my guess is Landray was simply comparing the amount of the CQ base dosed in AD for CQ and using that for HCQ, since the two molecules are so similar (HCQ just has an OH group where CQ has an H - the rest is identical) - at worst he misspoke slightly. And dosing HCQ at about 2X the usual level is not unusual in a situation like this

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/chloroquine.html#Usual_Adult_Dose_for_Amebiasis

In addition, there were other HCQ studies with similar high doses that didn't raise any particular red flags, including this one that used a "loading dose of 1200 mg daily for three days followed by a maintenance dose of 800 mg daily for the remaining 2 or 3 weeks of treatment," which is linked below. Sounds almost identical to the Recovery trial. Mortality wasn't being looked at in this trial (which was deemed ineffective for HCQ), but if they were murdering patients, presumably they would have noticed. You and the HCQ army haven't convinced me that the Recovery study was problematic in any way.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.10.20060558v2

09812-buscon4-quine.jpg

Reactions: Greg2020 and Kbee3
In this paper, we employ the natural experimental setting created by the U.S. protests precipitated by George Floyd’s tragic death to document the causal impact of social distancing measures on the spread of SARS-CoV-2. Using a DID analysis, in which the treatment effect corresponds to the onset of the protests and the treatment group corresponds to the counties in which protests reportedly took place, we document a country-wide increase of more than 3·06 cases per day, per 100,000 population, following the onset of the protests, and a further increase of 1·73 cases per day, per 100,000 population, in the counties in which the protests took place. Relative to the average number of new COVID-19 cases per day during the week preceding the onset of the protests, this represents a 61·2% country-wide increase in COVID-19 cases, and further 34·6% increase in the protest counties.
Saying it twice doesn't make it any more convincing. Looking at the actual US cases per day, there was zero case growth from 5/27 to 6/14, followed by a 21% increase from 6/14 to 6/20, which is completely inconsistent with a 61% increase from 5/27 to 6/20, as reported in this paper.

It very well could be that protests led to exacerbated spread in areas that were already experiencing a rise. Blanket statements like saying protests led to spread doesn't account for localized situations ... as mentioned repeatedly, in various threads, the huge protests in the northeast didn't even cause a blip in positivity rate.

Reactions: Greg2020
It very well could be that protests led to exacerbated spread in areas that were already experiencing a rise. Blanket statements like saying protests led to spread doesn't account for localized situations ... as mentioned repeatedly, in various threads, the huge protests in the northeast didn't even cause a blip in positivity rate.
assuming the numbers from the NE are not being manipulated

Reactions: Caliknight
Ask your friend for evidence of the virus mutating and weakening in FL vs. NY/NJ? There is none that I know of from any credible sources. The only credible information regarding mutation is the key amino acid substitution of glycine for aspartic acid at position 614 on the key spike protein, which drives the virus's ability to enter cells, in the strain predominant from Europe that populated most of the NE US (vs. the original version from China). There is evidence from laboratory experiments in cell cultures that the infectivity of this strain is significantly greater, but that hasn't been "proven" in the field yet, plus there's no serious evidence (not counting the opinions of a few Italian doctors) that this strain is any more or less deadly.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...entions-and-more.191275/page-168#post-4606876

Interesting coincidence that a paper came out today in Cell addressing many of these same questions on this mutation that were discussed in the Scripps paper first talked about on 6/10 (the Cell paper was submitted on 4/29 and I think was discussed back then, but can't find it). Anyway, this paper dives more deeply into evolution of the virus's mutation and less on the cell-level infectivity that the Scripps paper focused more on. It seems pretty clear from the Cell paper that this G614 strain (the one with a glycine amino acid substituted for an aspartic acid on the spike protein) from Europe that hit NY/NJ is more highly transmissible in the real world (not just in vitro), as this strain has become more prevalent even in locations that were originally seeing only the D614 strain, i.e., it out-competed it (as per the graphic).

The good news, still, is that both strains appear to be equally deadly to individuals, although the bad news is that clearly a strain that is more transmissible will likely impact and kill more people (even if not a higher percentage of infected people). The other piece of good news is that the authors of both papers believe that an antibody treatment or vaccine would likely work for both strains, as they're not different enough to change that (unlike flu, which mutates much faster than this virus, which is why a new vaccine is needed every year). Both papers are linked below.

https://www.cell.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0092-8674(20)30820-5

https://www.scripps.edu/_files/pdfs...n the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein reduces S1.pdf

M47XMf8.png

Reactions: thegock
Interesting coincidence that a paper came out today in Cell addressing many of these same questions on this mutation that were discussed in the Scripps paper first talked about on 6/10 (the Cell paper was submitted on 4/29 and I think was discussed back then, but can't find it). Anyway, this paper dives more deeply into evolution of the virus's mutation and less on the cell-level infectivity that the Scripps paper focused more on. It seems pretty clear from the Cell paper that this G614 strain (the one with a glycine amino acid substituted for an aspartic acid on the spike protein) from Europe that hit NY/NJ is more highly transmissible in the real world (not just in vitro), as this strain has become more prevalent even in locations that were originally seeing only the D614 strain, i.e., it out-competed it (as per the graphic).

The good news, still, is that both strains appear to be equally deadly to individuals, although the bad news is that clearly a strain that is more transmissible will likely impact and kill more people (even if not a higher percentage of infected people). The other piece of good news is that the authors of both papers believe that an antibody treatment or vaccine would likely work for both strains, as they're not different enough to change that (unlike flu, which mutates much faster than this virus, which is why a new vaccine is needed every year). Both papers are linked below.

https://www.cell.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0092-8674(20)30820-5

https://www.scripps.edu/_files/pdfs/news-and-events/The D614G mutation in the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein reduces S1.pdf

M47XMf8.png

Clarification, Both are from China, one made a pit stop in Europe.

Reactions: Caliknight
+1

The protestors were selfish and showed a lack of respect for others.

We were in a pandemic and they put their political beliefs first over public safety.

+1

And to slow the virus stop allowing Candidates from holding rallies in arenas with people packed in together with no masks being worn .

Reactions: thegock and Kbee3
We devoted several pages to the protests in the other thread. I think it’s fair to say that like any large social gathering, they probably contribute to transmission.

Didn’t matter in a lot of States that were already shut down; in places that had reopened, it probably was another contributing event (like going to an open theme park in Texas).

To say a protest caused the spikes defies a lot of evidence and common sense, to say an infection doesn’t spread at a protest ignores that it is a gathering of people.

Can we leave it there?

If they "murdered" them, they didn't do a very good job, as the mortality rates for the HCQ and control arms were statistically the same. And chloroquine, which is almost identical to hydroxychlorioquine, is used to treat amoebic dysentery and HCQ is generally considered safer than CQ, which is why doctors went much more for HCQ for COVID, realizing higher doses would likely be better for trying to knock out the virus. So my guess is Landray was simply comparing the amount of the CQ base dosed in AD for CQ and using that for HCQ, since the two molecules are so similar (HCQ just has an OH group where CQ has an H - the rest is identical) - at worst he misspoke slightly. And dosing HCQ at about 2X the usual level is not unusual in a situation like this

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/chloroquine.html#Usual_Adult_Dose_for_Amebiasis

In addition, there were other HCQ studies with similar high doses that didn't raise any particular red flags, including this one that used a "loading dose of 1200 mg daily for three days followed by a maintenance dose of 800 mg daily for the remaining 2 or 3 weeks of treatment," which is linked below. Sounds almost identical to the Recovery trial. Mortality wasn't being looked at in this trial (which was deemed ineffective for HCQ), but if they were murdering patients, presumably they would have noticed. You and the HCQ army haven't convinced me that the Recovery study was problematic in any way.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.10.20060558v2

09812-buscon4-quine.jpg
Remember the arm of the Brazillian study that was dosing 1200mg and halted? The Recovery trial knew of this episode in Brazil and continued a similar dosing strategy.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...ientists-became-ensnared-chloroquine-politics

Last edited:
I hope there are no business owners like this here but who knows. Arizona bar allegedly permitting and even requiring employees who tested COVID positive to continue to work.

From the article:

Among the alleged violations:

• Multiple instances where management required or permitted employees who had tested positive to continue working
  • Management failed to take appropriate measures to notify the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) or other agencies, employees, or customers that employees who had tested positive had worked while symptomatic
  • Management failed to create or enforce written policies in compliance with the executive order, CDC or ADHS guidelines
  • Management failed to enforce social distancing guidelines requiring masks or limiting groups to gather

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment...-letting-employees-with-covid-19-keep-working

eqeChq2.png
Here is how I believe they got the numbers they did:

For the period up until the protests we averaged 5 cases per day for every 100,000 people. I don't have their data but say the period from late Feb thru 5/24. At the end of the eval period (6/20) we were averaging 8.06 cases per day per 100,000 people. That piece is not the critical portion of the analysis. The critical piece is that they say that the counties with protests were averaging 9.89 cases per day per 100,000 at the end of the period versus the 8.06 country wide. I wish I had their data because I would be more interested in seeing what those protest counties averaged per day prior to the protests. If they averaged a similar value to 9.89 then their conclusion is wrong. If the protest counties averaged 7 per day prior to protests then they have a point. I cannot say as I do not have the data.

Here is what I would like to see:

non-protest county avg for month prior to protests
non-protest county avg for recent month after protests

protest county avg for month prior to protests
protest county avg for recent month after protests

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
The idea that people staying in to avoid protest areas overcoming or mitigating increased spread from protesters makes sense in a normal situation. That’s saying that in total there would not be increased human to human contact because the increase from the protest is offset by those avoiding protests and the potential violence, etc. But the reality is that most in society were already staying in as part of social distancing efforts. It’s hard to believe that the protests did not have a net plus effect on the amount of close human to human interactions. And therefore It’s almost certain that there was increased spread of Covid from protests.

Remember the arm of the Brazillian study that was dosing 1200mg and halted? The Recovery trial knew of this episode in Brazil and continued a similar dosing strategy.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...ientists-became-ensnared-chloroquine-politics
Not that similar. The Brazilian study was chloroquine, not hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine is generally known to be more toxic than hydroxychloroquine, plus that dosing was 30% greater than the HCQ dosing in Recovery (12 g total in Brazilian study vs. 9.2 g total in the Recovery trial, not the 9.6 g you posted: it's 2 g the first 24 hours, then 0.8 g/day for 9 days).

Also, the Chinese trial I cited above, which was a randomized, controlled (but not blinded) trial with hospitalized patients (not too many RC trials with HCQ) used a loading dose of 1.2 g/day for 3 days (3.6 g), followed by 0.8 g/day for 14-21 days (11.2 g - 16.8 g) for a total dose of 14.8 - 20.4 g, which is way more HCQ than the 9.2 g the Recovery trial used. This was the trial that was terminated early due to lack of patients to enroll, as China had controlled their outbreak.

If cumulative dose were truly killing patients we would've seen it in this HCQ trial, but we didn't, plus lupus/RA patients receive about a kilo of HCQ per year, so it seems pretty clear the 4 g lethal dose you cited would refer to an acute dose, not a cumulative chronic dose. Furthermore, the attached study on "Extreme HCQ Toxicity" says, "Unlike a CQ overdose, there is no established lethal or toxic dose of HCQ" and goes on to discuss the case of a woman who tried to commit suicide by ingesting 40 g of HCQ and survived (one can find several examples of suicide attempts on HCQ that were unsuccessful at greater than 4 g).

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/criem/2015/692948/

And while they didn't compare ultimate death rates, they did monitor for adverse events and HCQ had significantly more of those but most were gastrointestinal and there were no reported findings of cardiac arrhythmia, (prolonged QT interval), possibly because azithroymcin wasn't co-administered, as in the Recovery trial. The main point is that a well run randomized/controlled trial was conducted with similar HCQ dosing per day and greater overall dosing without patients dying from the HCQ. So there was certainly precedent for safely using the doses used in the Recovery trial. I am now even less concerned that the Recovery trial was problematic in any way.

Study finds hydroxychloroquine helped coronavirus patients survive better

(CNN) A surprising new study found that the controversial antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine helped patients better survive in the hospital.

A team at Henry Ford Health System in Southeast Michigan said Thursday its study of 2,541 hospitalized patients found that those given hydroxychloroquine were much less likely to die.

"Our results do differ from some other studies," Zervos told a news conference. "What we think was important in ours ... is that patients were treated early. For hydroxychloroquine to have a benefit, it needs to begin before the patients begin to suffer some of the severe immune reactions that patients can have with Covid," he added.

The Henry Ford team also monitored patients carefully for heart problems, he said.
"The combination of hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin was reserved for selected patients with severe COVID-19 and with minimal cardiac risk factors," the team wrote.
The Henry Ford team said they believe their findings show hydroxychloroquine could be potentially useful as a treatment for coronavirus.
"It's important to note that in the right settings, this potentially could be a lifesaver for patients," Dr. Steven Kalkanis, CEO of the Henry Ford Medical Group, said at the news conference.

More Here:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html

Study finds hydroxychloroquine helped coronavirus patients survive better

(CNN) A surprising new study found that the controversial antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine helped patients better survive in the hospital.

A team at Henry Ford Health System in Southeast Michigan said Thursday its study of 2,541 hospitalized patients found that those given hydroxychloroquine were much less likely to die.

"Our results do differ from some other studies," Zervos told a news conference. "What we think was important in ours ... is that patients were treated early. For hydroxychloroquine to have a benefit, it needs to begin before the patients begin to suffer some of the severe immune reactions that patients can have with Covid," he added.

The Henry Ford team also monitored patients carefully for heart problems, he said.
"The combination of hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin was reserved for selected patients with severe COVID-19 and with minimal cardiac risk factors," the team wrote.
The Henry Ford team said they believe their findings show hydroxychloroquine could be potentially useful as a treatment for coronavirus.
"It's important to note that in the right settings, this potentially could be a lifesaver for patients," Dr. Steven Kalkanis, CEO of the Henry Ford Medical Group, said at the news conference.

More Here:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html

See my posts on this above. Retrospective trials like this one are way, way less meaningful than randomized controlled trials, like the Recovery trial, which showed no clinical benefit from HCQ in hospital settings. Also, most of the other observational trials do not show the benefit the Ford trial showed (also the Ford trial had a control group that was 5 years older than the HCQ group, which was likely significant). Would you like me to cite those? Finally, please refrain from posting such politically charged posts in the future - we're trying to keep this new thread less political than the last one became.

Last edited:
Remember when Numbers said if HCQ worked we would have known it as it was used heavily in hospitals from late March to mid-April? I guess we now know it does work. Study covered period from 3/13 to 4/17.

NYC hospital study shows HCQ patients had 46% reduction in mortality.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11606-020-05983-z#MOESM1

tCNKxY8OOyaGZLQlquNY5VW5YzMwFlr2vXs8tzEKcIRdmpGYnYEQ9fTYYZ3DkTwET2s29S0vn66wKvlQAgE7NUBSXTQJPbu9IVfu5-EoC3jLvv90WrSEcXIG5czKEHw38pNjYtqBcFBR0OImMA

Supplementary Table 6. The results of univariate Cox proportional hazard regression models.

Hazard ratio (95% CI) P value

Hydroxychloroquine use

0·54 (0·39-0·74) < 0·001

Last edited:
Not that similar. The Brazilian study was chloroquine, not hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine is generally known to be more toxic than hydroxychloroquine, plus that dosing was 30% greater than the HCQ dosing in Recovery (12 g total in Brazilian study vs. 9.2 g total in the Recovery trial, not the 9.6 g you posted: it's 2 g the first 24 hours, then 0.8 g/day for 9 days).

Also, the Chinese trial I cited above, which was a randomized, controlled (but not blinded) trial with hospitalized patients (not too many RC trials with HCQ) used a loading dose of 1.2 g/day for 3 days (3.6 g), followed by 0.8 g/day for 14-21 days (11.2 g - 16.8 g) for a total dose of 14.8 - 20.4 g, which is way more HCQ than the 9.2 g the Recovery trial used. This was the trial that was terminated early due to lack of patients to enroll, as China had controlled their outbreak.

If cumulative dose were truly killing patients we would've seen it in this HCQ trial, but we didn't, plus lupus/RA patients receive about a kilo of HCQ per year, so it seems pretty clear the 4 g lethal dose you cited would refer to an acute dose, not a cumulative chronic dose. Furthermore, the attached study on "Extreme HCQ Toxicity" says, "Unlike a CQ overdose, there is no established lethal or toxic dose of HCQ" and goes on to discuss the case of a woman who tried to commit suicide by ingesting 40 g of HCQ and survived (one can find several examples of suicide attempts on HCQ that were unsuccessful at greater than 4 g).

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/criem/2015/692948/

And while they didn't compare ultimate death rates, they did monitor for adverse events and HCQ had significantly more of those but most were gastrointestinal and there were no reported findings of cardiac arrhythmia, (prolonged QT interval), possibly because azithroymcin wasn't co-administered, as in the Recovery trial. The main point is that a well run randomized/controlled trial was conducted with similar HCQ dosing per day and greater overall dosing without patients dying from the HCQ. So there was certainly precedent for safely using the doses used in the Recovery trial. I am now even less concerned that the Recovery trial was problematic in any way.
You are wrong.

From the Recovery Trial:

Page 1
Hydroxychloroquine information sheet
V3 2020-04-18
Intervention
Hydroxchloroquine 2.4g (equivalent to 1.86g base) loading dose in four divided doses over 24 hours, followed by 800 mg (620mg base) daily for a further 9 days or until
discharge.

BTW, the lethal dose I mentioned was for HCQ and is estimated to be 4g.

Last edited:
Retrospective trials like this one are way, way less meaningful than randomized controlled trials, like the Recovery trial, which showed no clinical benefit from HCQ in hospital settings. .

They didn't use zinc or administer the drug during early symptoms. Hydro isn't mean to save people after their lungs turned to asphalt. Hydro also relies on zince. As the saying goes "hydroxychloroquine is the pistol and zinc is the bullet." - a reference to zinc being put into cells by hydro and blocking CV entrance. I'm sure you know all this but promote the corporate agitprop anyway.

BTW, NYC hospital study shows HCQ patients had 46% reduction in mortality.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11606-020-05983-z#MOESM1

tCNKxY8OOyaGZLQlquNY5VW5YzMwFlr2vXs8tzEKcIRdmpGYnYEQ9fTYYZ3DkTwET2s29S0vn66wKvlQAgE7NUBSXTQJPbu9IVfu5-EoC3jLvv90WrSEcXIG5czKEHw38pNjYtqBcFBR0OImMA

Supplementary Table 6. The results of univariate Cox proportional hazard regression models.

Hazard ratio (95% CI) P value

Hydroxychloroquine use

0·54 (0·39-0·74) < 0·001

Well, the recent retrospective, observational JAMA/NEJoM studies (similar to this one) showed no HCQ efficacy (with or without azithromycin), which is what I said last night, i.e., for low confidence observational studies of ineffective drugs, one often sees some mixture of effective and ineffective results, as we've been seeing with HCQ, which is why the large, randomized, controlled, blinded Recovery trial carries so much more weight in the medical community.

Also, as I've said repeatedly, the biggest indication that HCQ wasn't a gamechanger or even likely effective at all was the simple math that 60-85% of hospitalized NYC patients (and reportedly elsewhere in the US/Europe) were being treated with HCQ (as per the JAMA/NEJoM studies with thousands of patients) upon admission or soon thereafter and from 4/1 to 5/1, when the NYC and US case fatality rates roughly doubled - surely if HCQ were a gamechanger or even mildly effective there would've been some clear positive signal in the mortality data. But there wasn't.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2012410

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2766117

While we're talking about HCQ, this retrospective study from India shows no prophylactic benefit in health care workers, unlike the other Indian study that showed a benefit in such workers. IMO, both studies were poorly done, but it highlights the point that retrospective studies are often inconclusive. That's why Boulware's randomized controlled study on post-exposure prophylaxis, showing no statistical benefit from HCQ carries more weight. Other trials in that area (including pure prevention) are supposedly still going on.

https://theprint.in/health/hcq-show...for-health-workers-finds-indian-study/452348/

"It takes two to three weeks after infection for a person to be in critical condition or to die, so death curves generally follow along behind infection curves, something like one to two weeks delayed," Benjamin Neuman, chair of biological sciences at Texas A&M University-Texarkana, told Business Insider.

That lines up nicely with the graph you showed. BTW, 24 days since spike in cases began...

You are wrong.

From the Recovery Trial:

Page 1
Hydroxychloroquine information sheet
V3 2020-04-18
Intervention
Hydroxchloroquine 2.4g (equivalent to 1.86g base) loading dose in four divided doses over 24 hours, followed by 800 mg (620mg base) daily for a further 9 days or until
discharge.

BTW, the lethal dose I mentioned was for HCQ and is estimated to be 4g.
Usually, the dose at 24 hours is considered the start of the next day's dose. I've seen it reported most places as 2 g. And besides are you going to hang your hat on a difference of 0.4 g, when you've been wrong about most of the rest of this discussion? You are wrong on the lethal dose of 4 g of HCQ, as per the paper I shared and that the cumulative dose is deadly, you were wrong on implying the Brazilian study was HCQ, when it was actually CQ, plus you said they were using similar dosing when they were not (the Brazilian study dosed 30% higher than the Recovery trial), and you've yet to acknowledge that the Chinese study used significantly greater dosing of HCQ, cumulatively, than Recovery, without any apparent major toxicity/mortality issues, so your sensationalist comments about "murdering" patients are completely inappropriate. Also, CQ, which is very closely related to HCQ is used in ameobic dysentery, so the author could've easily been referring to that.

The one thing we agree on on this is that it would be nice to see the paper with all the details. Given the Chinese study with doses as high (higher, cumulatively), I still see no issue with the Recovery dosing. I can't comment on what was published or removed from any websites, since I haven't seen them and docs are often changed after protocols change (HCQ being removed from Recovery).

Usually, the dose at 24 hours is considered the start of the next day's dose. I've seen it reported most places as 2 g. And besides are you going to hang your hat on a difference of 0.4 g, when you've been wrong about most of the rest of this discussion? You are wrong on the lethal dose of 4 g of HCQ, as per the paper I shared and that the cumulative dose is deadly, you were wrong on implying the Brazilian study was HCQ, when it was actually CQ, plus you said they were using similar dosing when they were not (the Brazilian study dosed 30% higher than the Recovery trial), and you've yet to acknowledge that the Chinese study used significantly greater dosing of HCQ, cumulatively, than Recovery, without any apparent major toxicity/mortality issues, so your sensationalist comments about "murdering" patients are completely inappropriate. Also, CQ, which is very closely related to HCQ is used in ameobic dysentery, so the author could've easily been referring to that.
I never implied Brazillian study was using HCQ. I never said 0.4g was going to make a difference. I was correcting your mistaken statement.

The AMM in France considers the overdose rate at 25mg/kg of hydroxychloroquine, i.e. for a 75kg patient, 1875mg for one day, requiring immediate emergency hospital care.

http://agence-prd.ansm.sante.fr/php/ecodex/rcp/R0271872.htm

4.9. Overdose

Clinical signs of an overdose

· Absorbed doses ≥ 25 mg / kg,

· Headache, visual disturbances, cardiovascular collapse, hypokalemia, arrhythmias, conduction disturbances and seizures, quickly followed by respiratory arrest and sudden cardiac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT