ADVERTISEMENT

https://www.gofundme.com/FireFlood

You're advertising that you're too dumb to understand a simple concept? And you're telling me to slow down w/the alcohol consumption? LOL
What's the simple concept. That a gofundme site is going to influence the negotiating stance of RU. WOW what a stretch and a pretty dumb post. You really think the next coaches agent is going to bring this up during negotiations. Who is dumb now.

I've come to really enjoy your posts and like commenting back and forth to each other...

but if you think Al Golden's agent is going to reference a GoFundMe campaign at the negotiating table, you're snorting your way out of Tony Montana's vault
Now there's a happy thought.
snort.gif

What I'm not understanding is why Al Golden's agent would be representing the kind of bottom-feeder coach the RU admin will be hiring to replace Flood?

What's the simple concept. That a gofundme site is going to influence the negotiating stance of RU. WOW what a stretch and a pretty dumb post. You really think the next coaches agent is going to bring this up during negotiations. Who is dumb now.
What are you, Hudson's own personal echo chamber? LOL Listen, I've met (online) Hudson. And you, sir, are no Hudson.

What is the difference?

This has been mentioned scores of times in the last 48 hours, but nobody has actually explained what is different about this versus 10 well heeled donors walking into Julie's office with a check and saying, "fire that incompetent boob."

You guys are going to be on the wrong side of athletic fundraising history on this one.

I guarantee you this is will be the norm within 5 seasons.

Why should a department kiss some guy's ass for 12 months a year to get 10k when they can raise 10k in 48 hours and not make a phone call?
The public nature of it. Like I was saying it's got that "lynch mob" or whatever you want to call it feel to it.

Publicly raising funds in the name of a charity for some positive outcome like a scholarship or facility or what have you is perfectly fine. I could definitely see funds raised for things like that in this manner in the future. However, publicly raising funds in the name of a charity for some negative outcome, in this case firing Flood, just doesn't portray a good image. Flood can be the biggest boob in the world but to call for his public firing and have the RU Foundation essentially endorse it by having their name on it isn't projecting a positive image you'd want, especially on a charity asking for funds.

Mind you I said in the other thread, I don't have a problem with fans starting it. It's their prerogative. It gives them an outlet to express their displeasure and a way for the admin to hear it. But from the admin side, RU or any other, they can't publicly endorse something like this calling for a firing in this way.

Reactions: mildone
The public nature of it. Like I was saying it's got that "lynch mob" or whatever you want to call it feel to it.

Publicly raising funds in the name of a charity for some positive outcome like a scholarship or facility or what have you is perfectly fine. I could definitely see funds raised for things like that in this manner in the future. However, publicly raising funds in the name of a charity for some negative outcome, in this case firing Flood, just doesn't portray a good image. Flood can be the biggest boob in the world but to call for his public firing and have the RU Foundation essentially endorse it by having their name on it isn't projecting a positive image you'd want, especially on a charity asking for funds.

Mind you I said in the other thread, I don't have a problem with fans starting it. It's their prerogative. It gives them an outlet to express their displeasure and a way for the admin to hear it. But from the admin side, RU or any other, they can't publicly endorse something like this calling for a firing in this way.

And Miami fans hiring a plane (with no proceeds going to the U) or Warren Sapp Tweets (his personal misgivings are too many to post) is somehow acceptable? The administration acted that weekend.

Nobody here is even suggesting that. People here are saying, please do the right thing as soon as is possible and here are some funds toward that goal.

College athletics is a sleaze fest. This is somehow over the line?

I view the firing of Coach Flood as a positive.

What is the difference?

This has been mentioned scores of times in the last 48 hours, but nobody has actually explained what is different about this versus 10 well heeled donors walking into Julie's office with a check and saying, "fire that incompetent boob."

You guys are going to be on the wrong side of athletic fundraising history on this one.

Why should a department kiss some guy's ass for 12 months a year to get 10k when they can raise 10k in 48 hours and not make a phone call?

Because it's the spirit, silly. RU can afford to discriminate against donations in this regard.

Like I said on page 1, it's a twisted version of the end of "it's a wonderful life". It provided hours of entertainment in my office today, and got a couple of coworkers to drop 10 bucks in Rutgers pocket. People who otherwise would never give a red cent.

BUT WHY

I'm really at a loss?

It's distasteful?

It's too public?

Does anyone think that Julie isn't doing this behind the scenes? Of course she is. She's just doing it with more zeros attached.

The world wants transparency. This is transparent.

You suck. We're the stakeholders. We want you out. Here is XX number of dollars toward making that happen.

ANd in return? I want NOTHING.

I don't want parking passes, sideline passes, a london broil, a car magnet. Nothing. Take my money with no strings attached.
handle-truth.jpg

The world thinks it wants transparency, but it really doesn't.

In all seriousness, allowing Julie to operate quietly in the background, away from prying eyes, is exactly what should be happening. If all the people that are contributing to the gofundme site were instead sending checks to Julie, even small checks, w/letters expressing how they feel about Flood, that would be vastly better and would be more likely to succeed even if the numbers are relatively small.

This sort of public display of emotional venting is not good business. Sure it is drawing attention. But I think we'll see, more and more, that most of the attention we get isn't going to be what people hope it will be.

And lastly, I want our players to win as many games as they can this season. And no matter how people want to try to rationalize it, this sort of thing does NOT help the team win games this season. So this funding thing should've been started after the last game of the season.

Reactions: bac2therac
And Miami fans hiring a plane (with no proceeds going to the U) or Warren Sapp Tweets (his personal misgivings are too many to post) is somehow acceptable? The administration acted that weekend.

Nobody here is even suggesting that. People here are saying, please do the right thing as soon as is possible and here are some funds toward that goal.

College athletics is a sleaze fest. This is somehow over the line?
No it's not and I didn't say it was. That's taken it even further. But did you hear the Miami admin endorsing all those things. They did act eventually but it wasn't quickly. There have been calls for Golden and chirping about him and Mark D for over a year. They eventually did act but it was by no means done quickly. The 58-0 drubbing their worse loss ever pushed them over the edge or it would likely have happened at the end of the season and it took over a year to actually happen.

The headline on the page is Fire Coach Kyle Flood. It's not something like donate money to the B10 champs fund to help our football program or something like that. There's a difference.

What is the difference?

Because it's the spirit, silly. RU can afford to discriminate against donations in this regard.

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
Do the people who think Rutgers should turn down the money simply look at this as a few thousand dollars and not worth them accepting it? Or do they truly hate the principle behind the campaign?

If, by some miracle, the campaign raises 1.5 million -- would you honestly refuse that check if you were Rutgers?

someone refusing to give his name may be getting a call from a RU attorney--hope not but

BUT WHY
And in return? I want NOTHING.

I don't want parking passes, sideline passes, a london broil, a car magnet. Nothing. Take my money with no strings attached.

I absolutely understand Rutgers not "supporting" this effort. What is really bad though was to come out AGAINST it and then state unequivacally that they refuse to accept any money raised through this campaign. Unlike most donations, this money comes with absolutely no strings attached! None. Not a one. They can keep Flood and they still get the money. They can fire him at the end of the season and get the money. They can fire him 5 years from now and still get the money. There is literally no downside to taking this money. And it costs them absolutely -0- (in either effort or resources).

Its just crazy that they came out so adamantly opposed to it. All they had to do was say nothing and then just cash the checks.

In most instances I would expect that but can you when the foundation's name and Tax ID are on the page and it becomes an endorsement without any statement.

They could have issued a no comment or a short, "we'd like to contact the people behind the campaign and speak with them before issuing a comment."

When pressed for follow up, "we still have an open dialogue with them."

Instead, they marginalized a segment of the fanbase.

And the tally on GoFundMe is the least of it. As I've said, more than 1 person I know have initiated conversations with their development reps indicating that donations they promised are currently on hold.

That is the power of the campaign. Not whether it raises $2,000, $20,000, $200,000 or $2,000,000

Reactions: OTBOTOR
Some folks here including the originator of this fund have no clue how tax deductible charitable contributions work or any legal rules therein. You must first be registered as a 501c3 and then be able to have donations from your group be considered tax deductible. Otherwise your contribution has to go directly to an approved group like the Rutgers Foundation and it has clearly and rightly so stated it's position. It's as simple snd as clear as that. It might have been just as effective to have a petition but then folks would have to be identified an accounted for.

THen they shouldn't list themselves in the Go Fund Me database...Period/Full Stop
Well that was most likely with the intention of a more positive outcome like I was saying. Donate to the B10 champ fund, donate to this scholarship or donate to this goal completely unrelated to athletics. Why shouldn't they be on Go Fund Me to get funds for things like that? It's been twisted with the negative headline for Fire Kyle Flood, if it was presented differently it would have likely worked and been accepted. Donate the the B10 champs fund and improve our football program. It's a completely different and positive message being sent.

I view the firing of Coach Flood as a positive.
Will you still view it as a positive when we hire someone that turns out to be even worse and are deeper in a financial hole because of the even larger buyout clause? When it delays the hiring of a truly good coaching staff that many more years?

Exactly what has this administration done to lead you to believe that Flood won't be replaced by someone that can't recruit and can't compete with the elite Big Ten teams?

I view the firing of Flood as one quarter of the job. Without doing the other, vastly more important part right, we wind up even more miserable than we are now.

Hell, this whole gofundme effort would have been a considerably better idea if it's stated intention was to help fund the replacement coach instead of funding the firing of the existing coach. And yeah, I realize it's all coming out of the same pot. But if marketing doesn't matter, then why are so many billions of dollars spent on it?

Just another reason for the local and National Media to ridicule Rutgers Football. I'm sure ESPN will pick it up soon and trust me......the story will not be flattering !!!!! They will use the opportunity to rehash all the old Rutgers stories....Rice scandal, every arrest ever at Rutgers, Flood email to professor, Flood suspension, Caroo suspension, This whole idea is just plain STUPID.

If you want to make a point, you would be better off sending letters or emails.....stating that you will not attend another game or purchase another season ticket until Rutgers gets serious about BIG football.

Reactions: mildone
Well that was most likely with the intention of a more positive outcome like I was saying. Donate to the B10 champ fund, donate to this scholarship or donate to this goal completely unrelated to athletics. Why shouldn't they be on Go Fund Me to get funds for things like that? It's been twisted with the negative headline for Fire Kyle Flood, if it was presented differently it would have likely worked and been accepted. Donate the the B10 champs fund and improve our football program. It's a completely different and positive message being sent.

And would have mobilized nobody.

People are mobilized for change. They aren't mobilized to set up the Wilma Fingerdoo women's field hockey scholarship fund.

Don't nobody know nothing about revolutions 'round here?

#The RevolutionIsYou lol

Just another reason for the local and National Media to ridicule Rutgers Football. I'm sure ESPN will pick it up soon and trust me......the story will not be flattering !!!!! They will use the opportunity to rehash all the old Rutgers stories....Rice scandal, every arrest ever at Rutgers, Flood email to professor, Flood suspension, Caroo suspension, This whole idea is just plain STUPID.

If you want to make a point, you would be better off sending letters or emails.....stating that you will not attend another game or purchase another season ticket until Rutgers gets serious about BIG football.

In this day and age with technology, sending letters and emails is antiquated.

There is a much expeditious way to do things now. This is one.

It's Carroo, please spell it correctly. I didn't read anything else you wrote because you can't spell the name of the best player correctly.

Some folks here including the originator of this fund have no clue how tax deductible charitable contributions work or any legal rules therein. You must first be registered as a 501c3 and then be able to have donations from your group be considered tax deductible. Otherwise your contribution has to go directly to an approved group like the Rutgers Foundation and it has clearly and rightly so stated it's position. It's as simple snd as clear as that. It might have been just as effective to have a petition but then folks would have to be identified an accounted for.

If they accepted the money, it would be tax deductible. That's the beauty of crowdfunding for a 501c3 ---> organizations essentially have people help them raise money.

It's 2015 -- crowdfunding probably would bring Rutgers much more money than their current fundraising outreach. Many would willingly make donations without having to deal with someone on the phone. Maybe part of the reason so few people donate to Rutgers is because the university -- and apparently many here -- fail to understand that.

They could have issued a no comment or a short, "we'd like to contact the people behind the campaign and speak with them before issuing a comment."

When pressed for follow up, "we still have an open dialogue with them."

Instead, they marginalized a segment of the fanbase.

And the tally on GoFundMe is the least of it. As I've said, more than 1 person I know have initiated conversations with their development reps indicating that donations they promised are currently on hold.

That is the power of the campaign. Not whether it raises $2,000, $20,000, $200,000 or $2,000,000
I agree amount of money isn't the issue. It did it's job by getting attention and letting the displeasure of some be heard. But I can't expect any sort of endorsement/acknowledgment from the admin for a negative outcome of publicly calling for the firing of someone.

I'm sure those people who initiated conversations will be talked with appropriately. Putting any donations on hold won't help them reach any goal they wanted and will likely just make things that much more difficult but it's their prerogative just like anyone else.

If they accepted the money, it would be tax deductible. That's the beauty of crowdfunding for a 501c3 ---> organizations essentially have people help them raise money.

It's 2015 -- crowdfunding probably would bring Rutgers much more money than their current fundraising outreach. Many would willingly make donations without having to deal with someone on the phone. Maybe part of the reason so few people donate to Rutgers is because the university -- and apparently many here -- fail to understand that.

Agreed. Many on here and in the administration are so technologically illiterate that it is laughable.
Get with the times... This isn't the 1950s anymore. lol

I agree amount of money isn't the issue. It did it's job by getting attention and letting the displeasure of some be heard. But I can't expect any sort of endorsement/acknowledgment from the admin for a negative outcome of publicly calling for the firing of someone.

I'm sure those people who initiated conversations will be talked with appropriately. Putting any donations on hold won't help them reach any goal they wanted and will likely just make things that much more difficult but it's their prerogative just like anyone else.

Look west to Missouri, young man.

You can wait for change or you can make your own.

(and I don't endorse the reasoning behind Missouri...just pointing out how audacity accomplished their goals)

And would have mobilized nobody.

People are mobilized for change. They aren't mobilized to set up the Wilma Fingerdoo women's field hockey scholarship fund.

Don't nobody know nothing about revolutions 'round here?

#The RevolutionIsYou lol
To a degree that's true. Just think about a store and restaurant. More people will take the effort to complain about service to a manager or supervisor than will complement or praise good service to a manager. Negative always incites more action than positive.

From the fan's perspective I get it and am fine with it. But also from the admin's perspective I get it and am fine with it.

All of this does exactly that. what is your point? This is 100% legitimate. Are you too lazy to see how the gofundme works or are you just another idiot?

Well, maybe the administration should stop screwing up. It's not like ESPN's article will drive out top 10 NJ recruits, our coach has already done that.

Reactions: rutgers4life11
Look west to Missouri, young man.

You can wait for change or you can make your own.

(and I don't endorse the reasoning behind Missouri...just pointing out how audacity accomplished their goals)
I was thinking about that and if someone would bring that up. But that was calling for the firing of someone to right some "injustice" whether it be perceived or real. I don't know that firing of a football coach be he a boob or not rises to that level of "injustice or inequity."

I was thinking about that and if someone would bring that up. But that was calling for the firing of someone to right some "injustice" whether it be perceived or real. I don't know that firing of a football coach be he a boob or not rises to that level of "injustice or inequity."

Um...no injustice was righted. They wanted the University President fired simply because he didn't react strongly/fast enough for their liking. I don't know that he was ever accused of doing anything wrong.

It's Carroo, please spell it correctly. I didn't read anything else you wrote because you can't spell the name of the best player correctly.

You decided to respond just to say that ? Makes a lot of sense. There may be about 10 last names on the team I might misspell, including the kicker, a few on the OL, a few DL, a few DB's, a WR, a backup QB.......what's your point ? lol

Last edited:
I really expected them to say nothing.

After further reflection, I have changed my position on this.

Once this became publicized and they were asked about this, they really couldn't say nothing, as that would be tacit endorsement of the site, and the cause. And obviously Rutgers can't endorse a grassroots movement to fire Flood until they actually fire him.

So they really had to make a statement that they were not endorsing the GoFundMe drive; that they don't approve; that it is unauthorized, etc. And once they put distance between themselves and the drive, they can't turn around and say we don't approve, but we'll take the money. They have to say that they'll refuse the money, since otherwise their still giving tacit approval with a wink and a nod.

Beyond that, they really don't want to set a precedent that people can use donations to Rutgers as a means to further any political cause.

So Rutgers, even if they are looking for funding to fire Flood, can't approve of this campaign or say that they'll accept the money.

But that really isn't a bad thing.

At the most optimistic level, this campaign was never going to raise more than $50,000, which is less than 4% of Flood's buyout. With a $70MM athletic budget, this campaign is a drop in the bucket.

The whole point of the campaign is symbolic and to catch the attention of Rutgers. That has been achieved. Even if GoFundMe shuts it down today, it has already been successful.

Um...no injustice was righted. They wanted the University President fired simply because he didn't react strongly/fast enough for their liking. I don't know that he was ever accused of doing anything wrong.
I don't want get into the weeds on this and I was a little confused by it all too and that's not the topic of this thread or my discussion. The point was they thought there was "inequity/injustice" of no action and I don't know that you can equate the firing of football coach no matter how incompetent to whatever the hell they may have been feeling either perceived or real.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT