ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern Game Weather Thread

That's it. I'm starting a weather thread for the Maryland game!!

It will be colder then than it is today. I'm sticking with that and not budging.
No fair, I was thinking of doing that first!
27553be4eec3f1f11d0f3d6bfb2091d4.jpg

A bit early to pin down details but trend is dry and pretty warm with some sun. Highs should fall somewhere in the 80s so it could get quite uncomfortable if its the upper ranges

Now last week at this time they were saying this weekend would be cool and cloudy and after any early shower passes we will have a sunny and warm weekend so long range models do get things wrong but from here the current story says we will be warm

Some models bring in heat during Labor Day week so have to watch if the that said heat comes in earlier before Labor Day
Where's the game prediction thread?
And the season prediction thread?

There's no "battle" - I've been starting gameday weather threads for 20+ years now and have always started them 6-7 days out. For some reason, bac, despite excoriating me for starting those threads too soon, changed his mind and decided to start the gameday threads 8+ days out last year. Pretty sure it's because he's like an 8-year old, since it's clearly not priniciple or science-based. Whatever.

There's been a thread on Idalia for 3 days and a general tropical season thread all season. Impact to the FL Gulf Coast is approaching catastrophic with each model suite showing a stronger and stronger storm. Cat 4 is now on the table. Zero impacts on us, though.

First.. you say there's been a thread on Idalia for 3 days. You Started a thread on it Saturday morning. The message you replied to was made Sunday afternoon..and your reply was Monday.. how is that 3 days in any way shape or form? Did you choose 3 days at random to make it seem as bad as possible? That's some passive-aggressive BS right there.

It is amazing that you choose to forget just how long these battles.. these cases of trying to beat the other guy to the punch.. have been going on. You did not invent the gameday weather thread. Not saying someone else did. But early on, several people.. more than you and Bac.. would do them. Not me, btw. If you have been doing it for 20 years than so has Bac and 20 years ago at least one other was doing it.. handle started with a "T" iirc.

I did pay attention to you guys calling each other names like "snow weenies" as well as your need to talk down to the others based on what sources they used. And, yes, this 7-day thing you mentioned in this thread started out as 5 days where if anyone dared to start a thread on weather 6 days out you'd hammer them and tell them outside of 5 days such a thread is useless. What I think happened is that someone, maybe this "T~" guy had started doing it and you thought you could do much better because he was just announcing what Weather.com said or some similar site whereas you would quote carious governmental sources.. kinda like what you did so expertly with CoVid.

So, do you really just construct your own reality where Bac is the 8-year-old interloper to "your thing" and is being childish in beating you to the punch? Really.. this amazes me. I mean, I could see choosing to describe things in such a way to move opinion your way.. but you actually seem to believe your take and that tilts into the realm of kidding yourself.

In addition to all this.. you took your weather predictions over to the other site when the previous Rutgers Rivals publishers left Rivals. You abandoned your self-proclaimed position! You pulled a Paul Mulcahy!

Last edited:
No AI predictive magic of course.
Its just faster at being hit or miss

Using AI to predict weather has a big advantage: it’s fast.

Traditional forecasting models are big, complex computer algorithms based on atmospheric physics and take hours to run. AI models can create forecasts in just seconds.

But they are unlikely to replace conventional weather prediction models anytime soon.

But does it use a lot of words?

Where's the game prediction thread?
And the season prediction thread?

For years you'd whine about me starting gameday weather threads 6-7 days in advance saying it was way too early to speculate on the weather, but starting last season you magically decided you disagreed with your earlier self and started gameday weather threads 8+ days out, like today's thread, just so you'd get to be the thread starter, as you know I won't start them more than 7 days out, given the inaccuracies of forecasts beyond 7 days. If I were as childish as you are, I'd start these threads 10 days in advance, but I'm not. Have at it. That's my last comment on this, although hopefully this means you won't complain when I start winter weather threat threads 5 days in advance. I won't hold my breath.

Anyway from a weather perspective, I agree with your comments above for the NW game. We have a strong trough/cold front coming through on Wednesday and that will put high pressure in control in our region through the weekend with cool/dry conditions through about Friday, but warmer and more humid (but still dry) conditions developing for Saturday and Sunday, as the high moves off into the Atlantic and we get the SW return flow.

I like dry conditions, but it could get warm to downright hot by Sunday with temps currently forecast to be in the mid-80s for gametime, but the Euro is showing highs around 90F for the game with dew points in the mid-60s (muggy, but not brutal). This is why I love evening games in early/mid September. I also agree that in this kind of pattern confidence is higher than usual, as there's no rain on any models from Weds through Sunday, at least (and this trough will kick Idalia out to sea well south of here, so impacts from that storm are vey unlikely). Having said that, though, we're still 8 days out, so it's always possible the forecast will change some.

what a petty and low thread. I will take the high road here and allow your immaturity to speak for itself

what a petty and low thread. I will take the high road here and allow your immaturity to speak for itself
Probably the first time I've ever seen you attempt to take the high road, given your penchant for derailing countless threads with your political BS. Anyway, the only thing I care about in this argument is what prompted you to start a weather thread 8 days in advance, given your decades-long criticisms of me starting threads too early? Did you have a weather epiphany?

Here's your quote from a 2021 gameday weather thread. "7 days out is too soon to predict the weather. Any good scientist knows."

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...oks-cool-but-iffy-on-rain.227611/post-5330737

Will be sporting something like this again for the season…
images

Had a nice one from Scarlet Fever, thanks @SF88. But the brim wasn’t big enough after a few bouts with skin cancer.
I got it and love it! Any thoughts whether (pun intended) it will block view of person behind me?

Probably the first time I've ever seen you attempt to take the high road, given your penchant for derailing countless threads with your political BS. Anyway, the only thing I care about in this argument is what prompted you to start a weather thread 8 days in advance, given your decades-long criticisms of me starting threads too early? Did you have a weather epiphany?

Here's your quote from a 2021 gameday weather thread. "7 days out is too soon to predict the weather. Any good scientist knows."

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...oks-cool-but-iffy-on-rain.227611/post-5330737

It’s kind of apples and oranges comparing a 7 day weather forecast in late August to one in late October isn’t it? We’re in the heart of hurricane / tropical storm season so looking ahead at weather patterns is pretty meaningful at this time of year. A 7 day forecast is usually pretty decent for predicting extreme weather patterns or lack thereof. Personally, that’s all I care about. The last thing we need is them playing in a big storm and we get hit with a bunch of injuries in the opener.

First.. you say there's been a thread on Idalia for 3 days. You Started a thread on it Saturday morning. The message you replied to was made Sunday afternoon..and your reply was Monday.. how is that 3 days in any way shape or form? Did you choose 3 days at random to make it seem as bad as possible? That's some passive-aggressive BS right there.

It is amazing that you choose to forget just how long these battles.. these cases of trying to beat the other guy to the punch.. have been going on. You did not invent the gameday weather thread. Not saying someone else did. But early on, several people.. more than you and Bac.. would do them. Not me, btw. If you have been doing it for 20 years than so has Bac and 20 years ago at least one other was doing it.. handle started with a "T" iirc.

I did pay attention to you guys calling each other names like "snow weenies" as well as your need to talk down to the others based on what sources they used. And, yes, this 7-day thing you mentioned in this thread started out as 5 days where if anyone dared to start a thread on weather 6 days out you'd hammer them and tell them outside of 5 days such a thread is useless. What I think happened is that someone, maybe this "T~" guy had started doing it and you thought you could do much better because he was just announcing what Weather.com said or some similar site whereas you would quote carious governmental sources.. kinda like what you did so expertly with CoVid.

So, do you really just construct your own reality where Bac is the 8-year-old interloper to "your thing" and is being childish in beating you to the punch? Really.. this amazes me. I mean, I could see choosing to describe things in such a way to move opinion your way.. but you actually seem to believe your take and that tilts into the realm of kidding yourself.

In addition to all this.. you took your weather predictions over to the other site when the previous Rutgers Rivals publishers left Rivals. You abandoned your self-proclaimed position! You pulled a Paul Mulcahy!
For some reason you focus on the most inconsquential minutiae. You made a comment that maybe I should start an Idalia thread and I merely said that there had been one for three days, which is technically correct (Sat, Sun, and Mon, since I posted that early on Monday), but who cares?

And as I said in the other thread, yes, I absolutely started doing the gameday threads in the early 2000s. Wish I had a way to prove that, but we don't have posts older than 2015 - however, as I said in that other thread, I started doing weather emails for coworkers, family and friends in the early 2000s and it was a natural thing to translate them to this board, since it's the same content and a year or two after bringing winter weather threads to the board, I decided to do gameday weather threads.

Once in a great while someone else might have started one. Just look at 2015-2021, where I started >95% of the gameday weather threads and it was more than that before 2015. bac didn't start doing gameday weather threads regularly until last year, when he started almost all of the home game weather threads for some reason, just like he did for the first game this season. You tell me why he just decided to start them ~8 days out last year, despite being on record saying starting threads even 6-7 days out was "dumb." Again, I don't care, as long as he updates the thread title as needed, which I think most posters like.

And as I said in the other thread, and have said before multiple times, it was dumb, in hindsight to follow John O. blindly to TOS in 2018 before seeing how terrible their board was. We all make mistakes, but that one was at least out of deep loyalty.

You’re both VERY immature when it comes to these weather threads. Both very knowledgeable but really wish you guys would grow up and discuss weather without being childish to one another..because you both post great info.

Carry on

It’s kind of apples and oranges comparing a 7 day weather forecast in late August to one in late October isn’t it? We’re in the heart of hurricane / tropical storm season so looking ahead at weather patterns is pretty meaningful at this time of year. A 7 day forecast is usually pretty decent for predicting extreme weather patterns or lack thereof. Personally, that’s all I care about. The last thing we need is them playing in a big storm and we get hit with a bunch of injuries in the opener.
Not sure what your point is. Deterministic forecasts beyond about 7 days (maybe 8) are nearly worthless year round, due to the chaotic nature of NWP, which leads to huge uncertainties beyond then.

Also, there's zero chance of Idalia affecting our game, if that's where you were going.

Reactions: FastMJ
Will try to get back to the gameday forecast. No forecast change at all, just even more confidence in mostly sunny, warm (mid-80s high/dewpoints in the low 60s, i.e., a bit muggy, but not brutal) and dry for Sunday. Today's NWS-Philly discussion says it all:

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
403 PM EDT Mon Aug 28 2023

LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...
Ensemble and deterministic model guidance suggests that the long
term period will be pretty quiet weather wise. Surface high pressure
will dominate over the region Thursday night and Friday before
beginning to slide southward Friday night into Saturday. Even with
some movement southward this surface high pressure will still hold
good influence over the region for the periods thereafter, though it
will weaken some with time. Expecting high pressure to still
influence the region Saturday night into Sunday while being centered
to our southeast.

No PoPs are included for any of the periods for the long range
today; guidance still supports surface high pressure keeping rain
showers from Idalia at bay to our south. Might see some shortwave
energy pass through during the time frame of Saturday and Sunday,
but current thinking is surface high pressure should suppress any
shower development. Temperatures will look to run slightly below to
just about average Friday and Saturday, possibly running just about
average to just slightly above average for Sunday.

Not sure what your point is. Deterministic forecasts beyond about 7 days (maybe 8) are nearly worthless year round, due to the chaotic nature of NWP, which leads to huge uncertainties beyond then.

Also, there's zero chance of Idalia affecting our game, if that's where you were going.
Thankfully we’re not on track to get hit with a storm. The point is a 7 day look ahead on weather makes more sense during times of year most prone to extreme weather.

Thankfully we’re not on track to get hit with a storm. The point is a 7 day look ahead on weather makes more sense during times of year most prone to extreme weather.
ok, gotcha - that's why I do the general tropical weather thread for the season - it usually has info on coming tropical systems before they're named...

interesting to watch your posts in this thread..ill observe

For some reason you focus on the most inconsquential minutiae. You made a comment that maybe I should start an Idalia thread and I merely said that there had been one for three days, which is technically correct (Sat, Sun, and Mon, since I posted that early on Monday), but who cares?

And as I said in the other thread, yes, I absolutely started doing the gameday threads in the early 2000s. Wish I had a way to prove that, but we don't have posts older than 2015 - however, as I said in that other thread, I started doing weather emails for coworkers, family and friends in the early 2000s and it was a natural thing to translate them to this board, since it's the same content and a year or two after bringing winter weather threads to the board, I decided to do gameday weather threads.

Once in a great while someone else might have started one. Just look at 2015-2021, where I started >95% of the gameday weather threads and it was more than that before 2015. bac didn't start doing gameday weather threads regularly until last year, when he started almost all of the home game weather threads for some reason, just like he did for the first game this season. You tell me why he just decided to start them ~8 days out last year, despite being on record saying starting threads even 6-7 days out was "dumb." Again, I don't care, as long as he updates the thread title as needed, which I think most posters like.

And as I said in the other thread, and have said before multiple times, it was dumb, in hindsight to follow John O. blindly to TOS in 2018 before seeing how terrible their board was. We all make mistakes, but that one was at least out of deep loyalty.
This may be the 3rd or 4th thread you made after saying in the original post you weren't going to comment anymore lol

Reactions: Section124
Fk no.

Numbers weather threads >>>> bac's.
If you prefer a lot of words to say it’s going to be nice, you can enjoy his threads on TOS. I checked it out earlier and it has 3 views. Numbers is not a meteorologist either so unless one of the real meteorologists on this board wants to take over, I’ll stick with bac to give me what I need to know.

If you prefer a lot of words to say it’s going to be nice, you can enjoy his threads on TOS. I checked it out earlier and it has 3 views. Numbers is not a meteorologist either so unless one of the real meteorologists on this board wants to take over, I’ll stick with bac to give me what I need to know.

As I said earlier, both posters bring solid info. I enjoy #s posts better as he goes more in depth about the hows and whys…where as bac is more direct to the point. To each their own

hey ****ing moron, i started a thread and didnt say anything inflammatory at all...Nimbers and by extension you have ruined this thread with your petty garbage

There in lies my point. No need to swear or name call, as I’ve been pretty appreciative of you on this thread. You just need to stop being so uptight….again no need for a grown man to call another grown man he’s never met a f-ing moron. Lots of people on this board (and online in general) need to mature.

Apparently, you do. Because you bothered to mention it in the first place. And if it is Monday 3 days ago was Friday. Let me explain in excruciating detail.

You see, if it is currently Monday.. then all day long it will be TODAY. And if a post was made on Monday you couldn't say the post has been up for a day.

See if you can follow the logic here.. I know it is hard if the government doesn't supply an official stance for you to follow.

And, again, if it is Monday.. then YESTERDAY it was Sunday. And that was 1 day ago. And if a post was made on Sunday you could say it has been up for a day, come Monday.

Still with me?

And 2 days ago would be the day BEFORE 1 day ago. And the day before Sunday is.. is?... Saturday. That's right.

On Monday.. "two days ago" would refer to Saturday. And, for a post on Saturday, on Monday you might say the post had ben up for two days... or two days plus a few hours depending on time of day.

And, on Monday, "three days ago" would refer to FRIDAY... the day before Saturday which was "two days" ago.

Phew.. I knew we could get there.

But the funniest thing about this is not that you would see you made a mistake and admit it. Not that I noticed the minutiae of the mistake... but that you would then reply as to indicate IT WAS NOT A MISTAKE.

You actually doubled-down on the idea that a thread started on Saturday was three days ago when posting on Monday.

You did that.

Why? What in god's name would cause you to do that?

Hell, ignoring what I said was far preferable to actually defending your comment while claiming I was somehow to blame for noticing the error while also claiming it was not an error.

That's some crazy stuff right there.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Apparently, you do. Because you bothered to mention it in the first place. And if it is Monday 3 days ago was Friday. Let me explain in excruciating detail.

You see, if it is currently Monday.. then all day long it will be TODAY.

See if you can follow the logic here.. I know it is hard if the government doesn't supply an official stance for you to follow.

And, again, if it is Monday.. then YESTERDAY it was Sunday. And that was 1 day ago.

Still with me?

And 2 days ago would be the day BEFORE 1 day ago. And the day before Sunday is.. is?... Saturday. That's right.

On Monday.. "two days ago" would refer to Saturday.

And, on Monday, "three days ago" would refer to FRIDAY... the day before Saturday which was "two days" ago.

Phew.. I knew we could get there.

But the funniest thing about this is not that you would see you made a mistake and admit it. Not that I noticed the minutiae of the mistake... but that you would then reply as to indicate IT WAS NOT A MISTAKE.

You actually doubled-down on the idea that a thread started on Saturday was three days ago when posting on Monday.

You did that.

Why? What in god's name would cause you to do that?

Hell, ignoring what I said was far preferable to actually defending your comment while claiming I was somehow to blame for noticing the error while also claiming it was not an error.

That's some crazy stuff right there.
lol, I thought it was obvious I was tweaking you. Technically, the thread was from 9:11 am Saturday to 12:28 am Monday or about 40 hours old. Do you think I actually didn't know that? The actual reason I said three days was because I didn't even think about it and guessed 3 days, probably because I started posting about what would become Idalia on Friday morning in the tropical thread, which is about 3 days before I responded to your post.

hey ****ing moron, i started a thread and didnt say anything inflammatory at all...Nimbers and by extension you have ruined this thread with your petty garbage
So, that makes it 714 of my threads you've ruined (including 69 weather threads) to 1 I've ruined. I have some catching up to do.

True, I'm not a meteorologist, but there's a wide chasm of difference in relative understanding of meteorology and the fundamental sciences underlying meteorology between bac and me. But it is certainly true you'll get less words from bac, which some may like, but you'll also get more science and explanation from me which others might like. Also, the main weather thread on TOS is on premium - those threads get a ton of likes, with some conversation,since there are 2-3 mets who post in them, and no trolling, which is the best part. The free board over there is still pretty dead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT