ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 12/16/20 Snowstorm Thread: First Significant Winter Storm of the Season - Major Snow/Sleet/Rain

Ask and ye shall receive.

Between 3-4 inches, depending on the spot around house.

And it's only sunset in Cherry Hill. The temperature must be lower than expected. It seems to me that makes it likely we'll see snow all through the storm, with an accumulation greater than the NWS projected. I wonder if the storm is overperforming in other areas as well.

And it's only sunset in Cherry Hill. The temperature must be lower than expected. It seems to me that makes it likely we'll see snow all through the storm, with an accumulation greater than the NWS projected. I wonder if the storm is overperforming in other areas as well.

I am out here in Marlton and as I was typing my response it looks like we are now getting some change over.......... there is sleet now mixed with the snow. I can hear it hitting the sides of the house and windows.

EDIT: Full blown sleet now.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
While we are watching snow here, on the other side of the globe a monstrous category 5 equivalent tropical cyclone is heading straight for Fiji. Major devastation is expected there.

131233439_3700674063309486_5148498413743682957_n.png
I hope not for both the people and the environmental impacts - I’m scheduled to be there for a 2 week dive trip next August (rescheduled from this past August due to F’n COVID).

I am out here in Marlton and as I was typing my response it looks like we are now getting some change over.......... there is sleet now mixed with the snow. I can hear it hitting the sides of the house and windows.

EDIT: Full blown sleet now.

yep was expecting this for you. You overperformed intially but it was inevitable..keep us posted on the conditions

Sleet now in Collingswood but they got 6 inches

Central Jersey your thump is coming starting by 7 and continuing for a few hours...that will be your main show and then we will see how much can come after that

just watching the radar loop for the last hour.. it looks like there's no more than 7 hours left for the NB area... unless the whole noreaster aspect of it kicks in and it comes around again from the other direction. And there wil be a smaller wave of moisture later.. rain or snow?

Might be a bust for NB area.. that would be great

yep was expecting this for you. You overperformed intially but it was inevitable..keep us posted on the conditions

Yep looks like the "line" came through as we are now sleet. Forecast says we could get a little more snow around 4-6 AM but will mostly be sleet from here on out.

Sleet now in Collingswood but they got 6 inches

Central Jersey your thump is coming starting by 7 and continuing for a few hours...that will be your main show and then we will see how much can come after that
wow.. that band that popped up and arrived early got them some accumulation then.. north of there was getting nothing earlier... interesting

Coming down pretty good in Hamilton right now. I got C9 lights on my shingle line and they are covered. You can see the light through the snow, it looks pretty cool. Hoping we get more snow then expected.

Reactions: rurichdog
This was 3 hours ago, it’s been puking snow under this dry slot.

um its not about now its about later and its important and its not puking snow everywhere....my rates were 1/2 an hour after being 1/4 an hour, if you are north of trenton you still havent experienced the heavy bands, get back to me when its an 1.5 plus an hour which it soon will be, that is puking

stop regurgitating posts from the weenie board

um its not about now its about later and its important and its not puking snow everywhere....my rates were 1/2 an hour after being 1/4 an hour, if you are north of trenton you still havent experienced the heavy bands, get back to me when its an 1.5 plus an hour which it soon will be, that is puking

stop regurgitating posts from the weenie board

Don’t know what you mean about a weenie board. Just stating my observation.

I’d have no idea how to tell how many inches an hour it’s snowing. But it’s definitely solid snowfall right now. Just found it was silly you post about a dry slot when it’s definitely not a dry slot.

All good.

I'm on the northern end of Tinton Falls. Snowing pretty good. Got home from work about 15 minutes ago, and the car is covered already. Sticking on the roads too.

Cranking pretty good in North Plainfield. We’re in an odd spot, we are in Somerset County but we’re really closer to Union County.

Just got in from a "Jebwalk" (long story, don't have time - it's poker night!) with my wife, our son and his girlfriend. As of 6 pm we have 2.25" OTG (was only about 1" at 5 pm, so it's coming down) and it's 25/23F. Heavy snow right now with 1/4 mile visibiilty. Gorgeous out there - don't forget to get out in this stuff - snow angel time soon, lol.

IIRC, you are behind the Shop Rite. We are practically at the same distance West of the Ocean. It was looking good around 3:30 p.m. for snow angels. then not, but I just looked out the front door, driveway has about 1/2-3/4" and lawn is covered.
@e5fdny , @knightfan7 , @koleszar , @RU_DIO - a sixth musketeer. But Dio dropped off the radar.
1/2-3/4"? I knew I moved to the wrong side of the tracks. Fvcking just over 4" now and still waiting on this mythical change to rain to occur. Our little Dachshund/Yorkie mix went running out, wiped out, cause the snow is high for him and came running back.

I think poor Lincoln's pee pee was freezing. The other Great Pyrenees won't come back in they're covered in snow and every time I try to get them they run into the pastures. Pains in my ass and my wife keeps telling me every hour, see if they want to come in. Yea like that's going to happen.

Last edited:
Are you guys wathcing this PIX van? they lost a wiper

poor bastard has to try to gett a wiper blade on now? maybe the broken blade?

Reactions: Tango Two
PIX11’s
James Ford
, reporting LIVE from New Brunswick, NJ on the impact of the snowstorm, did a little experiment. At 5:06 p.m., James shoveled a portion of the sidewalk where he was standing. An hour later, we can see how much snow had already accumulated. (And James even tells us some salt was put down on the sidewalk!)

131266606_10159224309432042_3849575833313246315_o.jpg

Don’t know what you mean about a weenie board. Just stating my observation.

I’d have no idea how to tell how many inches an hour it’s snowing. But it’s definitely solid snowfall right now. Just found it was silly you post about a dry slot when it’s definitely not a dry slot.

All good.

youre wrong and we will be getting a dry slot in some areas tonight

IIRC, you are behind the Shop Rite. We are practically at the same distance West of the Ocean. It was looking good around 3:30 p.m. for snow angels. then not, but I just looked out the front door, driveway has about 1/2-3/4" and lawn is covered.
@e5fdny , @knightfan7 , @koleszar , @RU_DIO - a sixth musketeer. But Dio dropped off the radar.

Correct and yeah, it's close to an inch now.

1/2-3/4"? I knew I moved to the wrong side of the tracks. Fvcking just over 4" now and still waiting on this mythical change to rain to occur. Our little Dachshund/Yorkie mix went running out, wiped out, cause the snow is high for him and came running back.

I think poor Lincoln's pee pee was freezing. The other Great Pyrenees won't come back in they're covered in snow and every time I try to get them they run into the pastures. Pains in my ass and my wife keeps telling every hour see if they want to come in.
Well that was at 5:00 p.m. Just measured at 6:30 p.m., and 1 1/2" on driveway, and 2" on the dirt/mulch pile. We need a measurement from @RU_DIO, because he is about midway between us.

Those 9 beer will be frozen as solid as bricks long before you dig them out, but on the other hand I see your license plate and can find out were you live and I am coming over to steal them. Thanks . And I am also going to grab your cooler. Thanks again.
Not really. For average ABV beer (5%) the freezing point is 27 degrees and that is more like a slushy. Solid freezing would require lower. Most areas east of 95 will be closer to freezing or above.

Won't be on much until midnight (poker tonight), but here's the latest from the NWS...if the bolded part comes true, folks from Trenton to NYC will likely see mostly or all snow, but that's certainly not a given. At current rates, we'll have 6" by 10 pm, the earliest any models showed sleet.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
555 PM EST Wed Dec 16 2020

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...
Evening Update...

The storm is well underway now, with steady to heavy snow, sleet,
and rain having overspread all areas. Made a few tweaks to the snow
amounts to reflect some observations, but we`re well past the point
for any meaningful changes. In general the onset and ptype
transition have gone about as expected and the forecast continues to
track well for such a big event. If anything the cold air has held
on a little longer than expected and certainly longer than a lot of
this morning`s hi res guidance indicated, leading to some higher
totals across portions of southern New Jersey. This includes here at
the office where some massive snowflakes and snowfall rates of 2 to
3 inches per hour have been observed leading into the transition,
which was happening here around 5:30 PM after about 4 inches of
snow. That transition line continues to march north and there have
been no changes to headlines or the overall forecast philosophy,
with the sharp gradient appearing it will end up just slightly
southeast of forecast especially in New Jersey.

In addition to the ptype transition, satellite and radar also show
the dry slot rapidly approaching from the southwest. This should
lead to precipitation rates falling off significantly or
precipitation ending completely for areas such as Delmarva and parts
of southern New Jersey over the next few hours. Further north, snow
rates are starting to come up significantly, and these areas remain
in line for the highest totals. No noteworthy changes to the
forecast to the north and west with a widespread 10 to 20 inches of
snow still expected. Dry slotting should be less of a factor to the
north, but banding will produce local variations in totals.

Late tonight as the low starts to pull away, a final wrap-around
band of precipitation may bring some additional snow to many areas,
especially towards central and northern New Jersey. This could add
on an inch or two of accumulation within a couple of hours during
the predawn hours. In addition, falling temperatures later tonight
could lead to a refreeze of any water or slush, yielding continued
treacherous conditions into the morning.

No changes to the wind forecast either, with winds steadily ramping
up from south to north. A 60 to 70 kt easterly LLJ will continue to
bring a lengthy period of gusty winds as it partially mixes down to
the surface, especially along the coast and within the heavier
precipitation. Gusts up to 60mph remain possible along the immediate
coast this evening and into tonight, with 45 to 55mph gusts possible
in the coastal plain and 35 to 45 mph gusts elsewhere. Storm total
QPF continues to look mainly at or below 2 inches, possibly a bit
higher along the New Jersey coast and towards the Poconos. Dry
slotting should help keep liquid totals manageable in most areas.
Outside of nuisance/poor drainage flooding, no hydro issues are
anticipated. Marine and coastal flood headlines remain in effect,
and are covered in their respective sections below.

Not really. For average ABV beer (5%) the freezing point is 27 degrees and that is more like a slushy. Solid freezing would require lower. Most areas east of 95 will be closer to freezing or above.
Ok thanks but your being a party pooper now .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT