ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019-20 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

Really??? Here I thought the smartest choice one could make would be go to college and get a degree and then preferably get a graduate education. I didn't know that picking the Yankees is more important the choosing the most compatible spouse. Thanks for the lesson.
I don't really think he was being serious.

Back to 2019... Rule 5 draft has come and gone with no Mets impact. They neither drafted anyone nor lost anyone.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I’d like to get Porcello, Betances and Marte for Nimmo. Also think we will peddle lowrie and Dom Smith for a bullpen arm
Good call on Porcello! Puma reporting Nimmo for Marte has been discussed but Mets wants additional considerations given salary differentials.....

So...With Yankee's signing Cole, Nationals signing SS and Phillies bringing in Wheeler...It seems the same ole Mets.

Looking a little deeper...We all know that the Met's were not going to make any of these $200mil plus signings this year...So, if I take my realistic look at things, I kind of like what they have done so far.
We already know we have a starter who is as good or better then any of those guys...and yes, Yankee fans, as good or better than Cole. Last time I looked Cole didn't even beet out his team mate for the CY...
Their 1 year signings of two decent SP's - One of which could have a bounce back year and could surprise everyone. Really does help us in two ways. We needed that depth in the rotation and more important, it keeps Lugo in the BP.
If we can find our way to a true CF, I am pretty much happy with what we are going into battle with. And, if the Cohen ownership happens(hopefully, the 5 year deal is in face value only and Cohen really does call the $$$ shots), it puts us into great shape for 2021 when MB is the star FA.

Did they just Bobby Bonilla'ed Cespedes?

No, rumors are Cespedes is giving back a third or up to half his 2020 salary. Has something to do with how he was injured. Sounds like he was doing something he wasn’t supposed to. At least according to the rumors.

Reactions: redking
No, rumors are Cespedes is giving back a third or up to half his 2020 salary. Has something to do with how he was injured. Sounds like he was doing something he wasn’t supposed to. At least according to the rumors.

Wow! Yep, that injury sounded shady. Counting the days until he is off the books.

So it sounds like the Mets know, and can prove, that Cespedes' last injury was due to contractually-prohibited activities (riding a horse?). So rather than cutting him loose and paying nothing, which would have meant a court battle, the parties reached agreement on a reduced payment.

Since Cespedes' salary was cut by 50% last year, would the Wilpon's reinvest that savings this year? No chance right?

Since Cespedes' salary was cut by 50% last year, would the Wilpon's reinvest that savings this year? No chance right?
No chance of that. But, the reduction in his salary for 2020 may prompt the Wilpons to loosen the pursestrings a tad. If nothing else, it pushes them further away from the luxury tax threshold, which I suspect the Wilpons would view as a hard cap.

Gary Cohen was at the Basketball game today because he does radio for seton hall. So I asked him whether Wilpons will spend the savings on Cespedes and he honestly didn’t know. I think they will but I’m on such a high now after the basketball game.

No chance of that. But, the reduction in his salary for 2020 may prompt the Wilpons to loosen the pursestrings a tad. If nothing else, it pushes them further away from the luxury tax threshold, which I suspect the Wilpons would view as a hard cap.
Even if they use it for Signing someone like Betances and making a Marte trade...I would be happy. But I am sure it will just go for a new private Jet or something...

Reactions: tico brown
Betances had a partially torn achilles in September and before that shoulder issues. Is he even available to start the season?

Between Mets and Phillies for Betances. Hope Mets get him with Cespedes windfall. And then back up catcher. Per Heyman

I was just looking at the new additions to the rotation closer as I was listening to the fan the other day and some where talking about trading Matz now that Wacha is here is supposedly promised a starting pitching role. The two of them are virtually the same pitcher when you look at their stats.
The closer I look at Porcello- he kind of scares me. Even if he dropped some runs off his record going from the hitter friendly AL and Fenway- he will be at best a very high 3+ era who puts a lot of hitters on base with a bad defense and not a strikeout pitcher.
Also find it interesting their last 3 major pickups in the rotation are not fireballers

Anyway- with that said- if we would consider moving Matz, what about him and Nimmo to the Pirates for Marte. Get a solid middle reliever and call it a pre season. Next year- go big after Betts. We also really do have to figure out what we are doing with Noah and Conforto. Think we dropped the ball not extending Noah last year. This year's FA signings, including Wheeler added a lot of money into his pocket.

Mets now not likely for Betances per Heyman.

Please stop asking for a Marte for Nimmo deal it would be awful!!

Wacha sucks Matz is a tad better. Porcello at least alternates good and bad.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Yup. I would not include Nimmo in a package for Marte. I’m hopeful that Nimmo’s bad start last season was mostly due to his neck injury. He seemed like a different player in the second half.

I agree that Matz is better than Wacha. We just went dumpster diving for Wacha and Porcello. Typical Mets.

I was just looking at the new additions to the rotation closer as I was listening to the fan the other day and some where talking about trading Matz now that Wacha is here is supposedly promised a starting pitching role. The two of them are virtually the same pitcher when you look at their stats.
The closer I look at Porcello- he kind of scares me. Even if he dropped some runs off his record going from the hitter friendly AL and Fenway- he will be at best a very high 3+ era who puts a lot of hitters on base with a bad defense and not a strikeout pitcher.
Also find it interesting their last 3 major pickups in the rotation are not fireballers

Anyway- with that said- if we would consider moving Matz, what about him and Nimmo to the Pirates for Marte. Get a solid middle reliever and call it a pre season. Next year- go big after Betts. We also really do have to figure out what we are doing with Noah and Conforto. Think we dropped the ball not extending Noah last year. This year's FA signings, including Wheeler added a lot of money into his pocket.

You are probably right that the Mets should have extended Noah but he is a headcase who I don’t think will reach his potential until he leaves here anyway. I almost wish we had kept Wheeler and traded Noah, however Brodie would have probably traded him for Fernando Rodney or some magic beans.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Mets now not likely for Betances per Heyman.

Please stop asking for a Marte for Nimmo deal it would be awful!!

Wacha sucks Matz is a tad better. Porcello at least alternates good and bad.
If you wouldn’t want Marte for Nimmo, you are saying we are set at CF then, correct? If that is the case then a RP and we are good to go...
I like Nimmo but for some reason do not see him as a 500+ AB guy hitting over .275 with speed and power for the next 2-4 years...I could be wrong and hope I am because I love him and McNeil in the lineup. Just because they are such old school type players. I also just think Marte is better though a bit older.

If you wouldn’t want Marte for Nimmo, you are saying we are set at CF then, correct? If that is the case then a RP and we are good to go...
I like Nimmo but for some reason do not see him as a 500+ AB guy hitting over .275 with speed and power for the next 2-4 years...I could be wrong and hope I am because I love him and McNeil in the lineup. Just because they are such old school type players. I also just think Marte is better though a bit older.

I didn’t say I wouldn’t do Nimmo for Marte straight up but the Pirates wouldn’t do that. I also wouldn’t mind Marte but don’t want Nimmo In the package. I’d do Dom Smith and Matz since there is no room to Smith but the Pirates probably would t do that either.

I didn’t say I wouldn’t do Nimmo for Marte straight up but the Pirates wouldn’t do that. I also wouldn’t mind Marte but don’t want Nimmo In the package. I’d do Dom Smith and Matz since there is no room to Smith but the Pirates probably would t do that either.
So, you are saying you just don’t want to make a trade that would work for both lol

The Mets need to do more. The NL East is clearly the best division in baseball. Nats are World Champs, Braves have the best young talent in baseball and won the division and Philly have been monsters in the last 2 winters signing so much talent. Mets as they stand now, look to me to be the 4th best in this division, let alone the NL. At least we don't have to listen to that tired argument about the AL Least being the best in baseball.

Reactions: cicero grimes
The Mets need to do more. The NL East is clearly the best division in baseball. Nats are World Champs, Braves have the best young talent in baseball and won the division and Philly have been monsters in the last 2 winters signing so much talent. Mets as they stand now, look to me to be the 4th best in this division, let alone the NL. At least we don't have to listen to that tired argument about the AL Least being the best in baseball.

I like your remark that the Phillies "have been monsters in the last two winters." They sure haven't been monsters between April and October.

And everyone got excited last week because of some rumors of a rich guy taking over the Mets 5 years from now. First of all, that 5 years from now... if it ever happens at all. Second, who's to say that he wont be as cheap as the Wilps?

Meanwhile the two who should be with the Mets is in Philadelphia while BVW signed 2 end of rotation guys who will replace Thor when he's traded away for Eric Campbell, Matt den Dekker, and cash.

What I don't understand is that if the Wilpons knew that they were going to get a chunk of Cespedes's salary back, why didn't they invest it during the middle of the season to get a couple of relievers to get our bullpen straightened out. That stretch where we lost a ton of games because of their bullpen ruined the season and could have been fixed at that time. I cannot wait for the Wilpons to get bought out.

Gary Cohen was at the Basketball game today because he does radio for seton hall. So I asked him whether Wilpons will spend the savings on Cespedes and he honestly didn’t know. I think they will but I’m on such a high now after the basketball game.
It makes me really sad to learn that Gary Cohen is the voice of Seton Hall basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT