ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019-20 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

Don’t disagree on anything you said. The game has changed though, and not for the better.
Agree with Gooden’s Best year being most dominate I have seen.
Though, Pedro had some pretty nasty years too. But Doc was just pure grace on the mound at such a young age with unbelievable control to go with one of the best fastballs the game has seen mixed in with a curve that fell off a cliff that he would throw any time any where.
Once heard back in the 70’s that scientists said that a ball thrown at 95 mph could not actually rise. I think a lot of hitters backbthen would disagree about a Seaver fastball

Best explanation I've heard for the rising fastball is that most fastballs drop as they get to the plate. The exceptional or "rising" fastball doesn't drop or drop as much. If you're used to seeing fastballs drop at the end, the exceptional ones look like they're rising, even though physics says that's impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Worm
Just bumping this in the slow period. We should really start to hear some rumors in the next week or so. Read they might be interested in Chirinos or Butera for backup C.

Just bumping this in the slow period. We should really start to hear some rumors in the next week or so. Read they might be interested in Chirinos or Butera for backup C.
I hear there is a really good C out there named Travis. His bat could really help us out...

Today was the deadline for freezing the 40 man roster prior to the Rule 5 draft. Mets roster had been at 37. They added four prospects whom they needed to protect: SS Andres Gimenez. LHP Thomas Szapucki, C Ali Sanchez, and RHP Jordan Humphries. They DFA'd Drew Gagnon, who reportedly is negotiating to play in Korea.

Mets signed former Yankee reliever Chasen Shreve to a minor league contract.

Best explanation I've heard for the rising fastball is that most fastballs drop as they get to the plate. The exceptional or "rising" fastball doesn't drop or drop as much. If you're used to seeing fastballs drop at the end, the exceptional ones look like they're rising, even though physics says that's impossible.
Do you also believe that a curve ball doesn't curve? A fastball will rise with enough backspin on it.

With the Yankees on the books for Elsbury’s contract next year, do we take a flier on him?

Only if you are trying to add to your injured list.
He would obviously have to pass a physical...
To me, if he proves healthy and Yankees are paying his salary wouldn’t he be worth a chance? Look at some of the other guys we brought in...

You're being serious? He hasn't played in years.
Neither has Cespedes. And I only would consider it if he did pass a physical. We are talking a minor league contract which is most likely all he will get next year.
If he passes a physical- a few hundred thousand may be worth it.
I’m not hung up on it but was just a thought since Yanks are paying him

Neither has Cespedes. And I only would consider it if he did pass a physical. We are talking a minor league contract which is most likely all he will get next year.
If he passes a physical- a few hundred thousand may be worth it.
I’m not hung up on it but was just a thought since Yanks are paying him
Mets are stuck with Cespedes next season so why add another broken down player? Nvm, BVW already added Cano fior no reason

He was bench coach for Bochy for 10 years and won several World Series so that’s good. But being passed over as manager with San Fran is a bit concerning especially for Kapler. I’m indifferent. Has to be better than riggelman.

The Mets will hire Jeremy Hefner to be their pitching coach, per report.

A moment's thought will persuade you that a fastball does not rise. The pitcher is standing on top of a mound (an elevated surface by definition) and is throwing the ball with his arm above his full height. The ball must descend in order to be even at the top of the strike zone.n The "hop" on a fastball is the fact that the ball sinks less than one would think from the path of the ball. In other words, every fastball sinks, but a good fastball will sink less than the hitter will expect. I believe, but am not totally sure that the backspin a good pitcher places on the ball is responsible for the ball sinking less than expected.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
Told you all in the previous thread you were seriously under-estimating the money Wheeler was going to get.

Wow. I guess nowadays you don't have to be an elite pitcher to be paid like one. Not bad for a #3 starter. Did not want him in this division!

Not sure if he is elite, but he is a #1 starter and is paid like one. Just because the Mets have 2 other awesome starters doesn't mean he isn't one:

From the Athletic:
Often overshadowed by bigger-name rotation-mates and forever perceived as fragile after being sidelined for 2015 and 2016 by elbow surgery, Wheeler is now a full-fledged top-of-the-rotation starter at age 30. His raw stuff is better than ever, with a fastball that averaged 97.0 mph to rank fourth among all starters behind Cole and Mets teammates Noah Syndergaard and Jacob deGrom. His low-90s slider and slow curveball were also plus pitches, combining to finish 64 of his 195 strikeouts. And unlike many flame-throwers, Wheeler actually throws strikes.

Wheeler has had big-time stuff since the Giants picked him sixth overall in 2009 and later traded him to the Mets for Carlos Beltran, but since coming back from surgery he’s sliced his walk rate from 4.0 to 2.5 per nine innings while continuing to be elite at limiting homers. He’s been one of baseball’s top 25 starters in back-to-back years, and there may still be more upside to unlock in the right circumstances. Perhaps fittingly, he’s good enough to be the top free-agent starter on the market, but instead sits behind two much bigger names, not unlike his time in the Mets’ rotation.

From MLB trade rumors:
4. Zack Wheeler – Phillies. Five years, $100MM. For teams seeking ace potential without the Gerrit Cole price tag, Wheeler is the top choice. Though the 29-year-old’s 3.96 ERA this season doesn’t jump off the page, he’s displayed the ability to miss bats and added a career-best walk rate. Over his past 350 innings, Wheeler is sporting a 3.47 ERA and a 3.27 FIP with a strikeout per inning and just 2.4 walks per nine. He’s also one of the hardest-throwing starting pitchers in the game, averaging 96.7 mph this year on his fastball. The Statcast profile on Wheeler is strong, with above average fastball and curveball spin rate and low exit velocity and hard-hit percentage.

Reactions: redking
Told you all in the previous thread you were seriously under-estimating the money Wheeler was going to get.

Part of this, though, is the Phillies' new philosophy of spending stupid (to quote the managing partner) money. I have no doubt that in Philly Wheeler will be at least the #2 starter and probably #1. I just hope that the Phillies' coaching staff next year is a *lot* better than this year's, and so he gets decent guidance when and if he needs it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT