ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isles offense looks pitiful tonight. Sorokin is the reason they're only down by 1 heading into the third. They're gonna have to take one in Pittsburgh. I'd rather it be this one.

If I know Lou, like I believe I do, Dan Feeney and his magic mullet, as well as the rest of the Jets will be at the game. Bank on it.

Things are setting up nicely for a pretty interesting offseason for the NHL.

• There should be a lot of moves made by teams because of the expansion draft and cap issues.
  • What happens with Eichel, Reinhart and any other Buffalo player that wants out?
  • Dolan is finally sticking his nose into Ranger affairs so they are capable of almost anything when it comes to trades.
  • How do WAS and PIT keep their run going, when they have limited assets to trade and their stars are still playing well but they can't count on their second lead (Malkin and Kuznetszov) any more?
  • McDavid was unhappy with EDM's continued losing and the new regime told him to give them two years. Well, two years just ended in a first round playoff sweep. Does McD go public again? How do they fix so many holes with limited cap and trade assets? Do they consider the unthinkable of trading Draisatl to fix three or four problems instead of running a team with two superstars and no depth?

Reactions: TM94goRU
The Pens really had the better of the play, which has a been the theme for most of the series. Jarry is not a good goalie and that clearing attempt to Josh Bailey was awful.

Sorokin starts for sure tomorrow night. More interesting is who replaces Wahlstrom if he can't go. Likely either Zajac or DalColle. I had actually forgotten about MDC but I think it may be him. Probably depends on how Trotz is thinking about the line construction.

Eberle finally did something last night, but still seems unable to cleanly take a pass. Isles were very fortunate last night and need to play better to close this out.

Congratulations NYI fans. I had a feeling that 1st round pick would be a bottom feeder, 😆. Why stop here? Your team is capable of a long run. I know it has been a long time. Enjoy!

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Happy to find a way to move on. I don’t think they played that well for long stretches of the series. The pens were done in by some shoddy goaltending. I guess it’s all Sorokin now for the isles. Bruins look good and will be a tough out.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Nice close out win by the TBL. The Florida team with a big fan base, beat the one with a very small one. # Curse of the 🐀, '96 and counting.

Friendly reminder, tomorrow is the NHL Draft lottery. Devils fans I hope the balls bounce right!
In other news, the US team is doing well in the world championship. Have not won it in a long time. Brian Boyle is on the team, coached by Jack Capuano.
Lastly once again the Toronto Make Beliefs choke! Who knows, maybe a team, like my NJD, might pull off a big trade. They need defence, and to shake things up. The playoffs are too good for this thread to fall off the main board for several days.

Friendly remindEngl orrow is the NHL Draft lottery. Devils fans I hope the balls bounce right!
In other news, the US team is doing well in the world championship. Have not won it in a long time. Brian Boyle is on the team, coached by Jack Capuano.
Lastly once again the Toronto Make Beliefs choke! Who knows, maybe a team, like my NJD, might pull off a big trade. They need defence, and to shake things up. The playoffs are too good for this thread to fall off the main board for several days.
The World Championships have been awesome, lots of big upsets. Canada almost didn't qualify for the playoffs with early losses to Germany and Latvia. Those two teams played each other in the last game and if it would have gone to overtime, they both would have advanced and Canada would be done already. Kazakhstan almost snuck in too, finished tied with Canada but Canada won their head-to-head matchup so they get 4th and Kazakhstan is left out at 5th.

At the bottom end, Great Britain had an impressive showing, led by Liam Kirk who had 7 of their 13 goals. He was the first player born and trained in England to be drafted by an NHL team when the Coyotes took him in the 7th round in 2018. They beat Belarus and took Denmark to overtime to avoid finishing at the bottom. There is no relegation this year since there is nobody being promoted with the lower levels having been canceled, but it would have been Belarus instead of Great Britain being sent down. Italy had a hard time as expected, going 0-7, but they did hold Finland to only 3 goals and had a tight score against USA today at 4-2. Hopefully they can put up more of a fight next year.

USA plays Slovakia in the quarterfinals on Thursday at 9:15 AM. The other matchups are Switzerland vs. Germany, Russia vs. Canada, and Finland vs. Czech Republic.

The World Championships have been awesome, lots of big upsets. Canada almost didn't qualify for the playoffs with early losses to Germany and Latvia. Those two teams played each other in the last game and if it would have gone to overtime, they both would have advanced and Canada would be done already. Kazakhstan almost snuck in too, finished tied with Canada but Canada won their head-to-head matchup so they get 4th and Kazakhstan is left out at 5th.

At the bottom end, Great Britain had an impressive showing, led by Liam Kirk who had 7 of their 13 goals. He was the first player born and trained in England to be drafted by an NHL team when the Coyotes took him in the 7th round in 2018. They beat Belarus and took Denmark to overtime to avoid finishing at the bottom. There is no relegation this year since there is nobody being promoted with the lower levels having been canceled, but it would have been Belarus instead of Great Britain being sent down. Italy had a hard time as expected, going 0-7, but they did hold Finland to only 3 goals and had a tight score against USA today at 4-2. Hopefully they can put up more of a fight next year.

USA plays Slovakia in the quarterfinals on Thursday at 9:15 AM. The other matchups are Switzerland vs. Germany, Russia vs. Canada, and Finland vs. Czech Republic.
Great information, thanks! I forgot about it, and stumbled on the US vs. Italy game yesterday. I missed a lot, but got caught up with something's. I know the Canucks aren't pleased, for instance, 😆!
Too repeat, I think there is way too much going on for this thread to be dormat, at this time.

Getting back to the Leafs' choke mentioned earlier, there have been some amazing facts that have come out that paint a good picture of their futility:

• The Leafs have never won in the third round of the playoffs in their history (their championships were back when there were only two rounds).

• The Leafs have never played a game in the month of June

• No one is alive who has coached the Leafs to a win in a playoff series

Avalanche against Tampa would be must see hockey
I like Tampa Bay as a second team. That said, where would they be if they could not legally circumvent the salary cap, by putting a player like Kucherov on long-term disability, or whatever that is? Where would they be, if they had to make trades to get under the cap?
Draft lottery tonight, barring moving up to 1st, the Devils could have a tough family question, Brant Clarke. Graeme's brother, or Luke Hughes, Jack's brother?
The Devils could use a right-handed Defenseman, which would mean Clarke not Hughes. So interesting to think about!

Roughly 15 minutes Devils fans, anybody else nervous? Hopefully this is the last lottery we will be interested in, for a long while.

Devils stay at pick 4, the NYR have pick 15. Song of tonight, Don Henley- " the last worthless evening", or whatever he called that song!

Devils stay at pick 4, the NYR have pick 15. Song of tonight, Don Henley- " the last worthless evening", or whatever he called that song!

You are a better source than the NHL website; they've got the odds posted, but not draft order . . .yet.

So who got #1?

I should have included this in a previous post, the only change was the Ducks moved down to 3rd, and Seattle moved up to 2nd. If you are a fan of the Flyers or another team in the weak 15 field, your team stayed Pat. Did not move at all.

Getting back to the Leafs' choke mentioned earlier, there have been some amazing facts that have come out that paint a good picture of their futility:

• The Leafs have never won in the third round of the playoffs in their history (their championships were back when there were only two rounds).

• The Leafs have never played a game in the month of June

• No one is alive who has coached the Leafs to a win in a playoff series
The Leafs are also now tied for the longest Stanley Cup drought ever at 53 seasons (it's 54 years but since there was no 04-05 season that year doesn't count). One more year and the Rangers won't have to wear that crown anymore.

The Leafs are also now tied for the longest Stanley Cup drought ever at 53 seasons (it's 54 years but since there was no 04-05 season that year doesn't count). One more year and the Rangers won't have to wear that crown anymore.
If they go another year it will it’ll have to be considered a worse stretch than the Rangers, because the Rangers lost several SC finals in their run and the Leafs can’t even get to the finals.

If they go another year it will it’ll have to be considered a worse stretch than the Rangers, because the Rangers lost several SC finals in their run and the Leafs can’t even get to the finals.
Just for the sake of argument though, the Rangers' drought has a lower average number of other teams in the league.

Reactions: rurichdog
You guyz see that Montreal player get absolutely lit up on the empty net goal?

Freight trained. Carried off on a stretcher.
Hope it looked worse than it is.
He was moving his arms when they had him on the stretcher at least. I think Scheifele's shoulder hit him in the side of the head, and then his head hit the ice though. If Scheifele plays again this series, it'll definitely be worth watching.

Just for the sake of argument though, the Rangers' drought has a lower average number of other teams in the league.
Yeah, it's probably two different things. The Rangers, because they only had 6 teams in the league, have the worst run of not being able to win a championship, while the Leafs have the worst run of overall futility because they can't even get to the point where they are competing for a championship.

Reactions: robcac26
He was moving his arms when they had him on the stretcher at least. I think Scheifele's shoulder hit him in the side of the head, and then his head hit the ice though. If Scheifele plays again this series, it'll definitely be worth watching.
It will be interesting to see what penalty is doled out by what is called by critics "the NHL Wheel of Justice".

Theoretically, based on previous rulings the hit deserves a suspension because initial contact was with the head and he appeared to launch into the hit, but it would only be a handful of games because Scheifele has never been suspended before. It's anybody's guess with the DOPS, though.

I think MS just got PO'ed and lost it. Now, we all know there is no rhyme or reason to these rulings, especially in the playoffs. My guess is they give MS, not going to try to spell that last name without looking it up, 2 maybe 3 games. I think it will be 2, but possibly the NHL might want to increase it, for the 1st 2 games the series goes back to Montreal. Show they are really serious about player safety! 😆

I think MS just got PO'ed and lost it. Now, we all know there is no rhyme or reason to these rulings, especially in the playoffs. My guess is they give MS, not going to try to spell that last name without looking it up, 2 maybe 3 games. I think it will be 2, but possibly the NHL might want to increase it, for the 1st 2 games the series goes back to Montreal. Show they are really serious about player safety! 😆
Given that we have now seen at least 3 guys viciously KO'd through the early stages of these playoffs I'm thinking they might go a little tougher on Schiefle. I think the fact that he is a star might make it a good time to send a message.

I think they should anyways. 6 games, that we know we won't have to see him vs MTL again this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT