ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Another Heavy Rainstorm (2-4") for All and Some Snow Well NW (and major snow for interior NY/New England)

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
People seemed disappointed I didn't do a thread for the last rainstorm, so here you go. For our area, this rainstorm will be somewhat similar to the one a week and a half ago with 2-3" of rain (locally up to 4") being likely for most of the region over the next 2+ days - the long time duration should prevent major flooding, although some minor (and isolated moderate) urban/stream flooding is likely. In addition, some minor coastal flooding is likely the next 2 days for the Jersey Shore and a wind advisory is up for coastal Middlesex/Monmouth/Ocean for gusts up to 50 mph. Gonna be a couple of raw days out there. The NWS page summarizes the various impacts from the rain well and the NWS 48 hr total precip and snowfall forecast maps are below.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

With regard to the cold side, the chances of measurable snow Weds night/Thursday morning for the 95 corridor have dwindled to about nil (at best, some snow showers with no accumulation maybe early Thursday, but unlikely). However, the models are currently split on NW areas with some showing a few to maybe several inches of snow for the Poconos and NWNJ (Sussex/NW Warren/NW Passaic) and even up to 1" along 80 (W of 287), but with some showing only an inch or so of snow for the highest elevations in the Poconos/NW Sussex and no snow anywhere else. This could've been an epic snowstorm for many if there was a bit more cold air to work with and if the track was further SE. Stay tuned if in a NW area.

But for the Catskills and much of interior NY and New England, particularly at higher elevations, it's looking like another snowstorm with watches up for 6" or more of snow and some sleet/freezing rain for the Catskills and ski resorts in central New England and 12-18" or so for the far northern ski areas in the Adirondacks and New England. Spring skiing has turned out to be pretty good for many. And by the way, they're getting hammered with a foot or more of snow in much of WI and northern MI.

mMCMZtU.png

KxXXCmd.png

People seemed disappointed I didn't do a thread for the last rainstorm, so here you go. For our area, this rainstorm will be somewhat similar to the one a week and a half ago with 2-3" of rain (locally up to 4") being likely for most of the region over the next 2+ days - the long time duration should prevent major flooding, although some minor (and isolated moderate) urban/stream flooding is likely. In addition, some minor coastal flooding is likely the next 2 days for the Jersey Shore and a wind advisory is up for coastal Middlesex/Monmouth/Ocean for gusts up to 50 mph. Gonna be a couple of raw days out there. The NWS page summarizes the various impacts from the rain well and the NWS 48 hr total precip and snowfall forecast maps are below.

With regard to the cold side, the chances of measurable snow Weds night/Thursday morning for the 95 corridor have dwindled to about nil (at best, some snow showers with no accumulation maybe early Thursday, but unlikely). However, the models are currently split on NW areas with some showing a few to maybe several inches of snow for the Poconos and NWNJ (Sussex/NW Warren/NW Passaic) and even up to 1" along 80 (W of 287), but with some showing only an inch or so of snow for the highest elevations in the Poconos/NW Sussex and no snow anywhere else. This could've been an epic snowstorm for many if there was a bit more cold air to work with and if the track was further SE. Stay tuned if in a NW area.

But for the Catskills and much of interior NY and New England, particularly at higher elevations, it's looking like another snowstorm with watches up for 6" or more of snow and some sleet/freezing rain for the Catskills and ski resorts in central New England and 12-18" or so for the far northern ski areas in the Adirondacks and New England. Spring skiing has turned out to be pretty good for many. And by the way, they're getting hammered with a foot or more of snow in much of WI and northern MI.

mMCMZtU.png

KxXXCmd.png
I'm too lazy to look.
Are we above year to date rainfall? Seems like it.
We were in Spain last week, where we were told "it rarely rains." Rained 8/9 days of our trip. We came home to this. Maybe it's us?

I’m a bit north of that 15.6 in Maine.

Crazy year up here. Zero snows that made it worth attaching the plow to my truck all winter, two snows over 10” since spring started.
Sweet! Eclipse viewing looking good, as of now, for much of the northland from NY to ME, so ME might be my first choice and having snow on the ground would be a bonus.

I'm too lazy to look.
Are we above year to date rainfall? Seems like it.
We were in Spain last week, where we were told "it rarely rains." Rained 8/9 days of our trip. We came home to this. Maybe it's us?
Way above for winter (DJF) and March was one of the wettest ever on top of that. Here's an excerpt from the NJ Climatologist on this past winter for NJ, overall.

Winter Overview

The winter of 2023/2024 (December–February) ranked in the top 10 for mildest temperatures and most precipitation (rain and melted snow). The 37.5° average was 3.5° above normal and ranked 9th mildest. Nine of the ten mildest winters of the past 135 have occurred since 1997/98, with five in the past eight years (Table 3). This was only the second winter this century to place in the top 10 for precipitation, with five ranking high before the middle of the 20th century (Table 4).

Winter precipitation (rain and melted snow/sleet) averaged 16.16”. This is 5.54” above the 1991–2020 normal and ranks as the 4th wettest on record. Northern NJ led the way, with West Milford (Passaic) catching 23.62”, followed by Mine Hill Township (Morris) 23.13”, Jefferson Township (Morris) 21.66”, Mount Arlington (Morris) 21.27”, and Denville (Morris) 21.25” (Figure 9). Southern dry areas still came in above normal, including the driest in Pitman (Gloucester) with 14.02”, Little Egg Harbor Township (Ocean) 14.47”, Galloway Township (Atlantic) 14.48”, Lower Township (Cape May) 14.66”, and Upper Deerfield (Cumberland) 14.78”.

https://www.njweather.org/content/lost-winter-february-2024-winter-20232024-recaps

And here's DonSutherland's summary of how wet it has been for the NE/Mid-Atlantic so far this year (with a few comments on how warm it has also been so far).

March 2024 finished with a mean temperature of 48.1° in New York City. That ranked as the 8th warmest March on record. The 9.04" of precipitation ranked as the 4th highest on record. 2010 and 2024 are the only two years to rank in the Top 10 for both categories in March.

In addition, with an average temperature of 42.5°, December 1, 2023 - March 31, 2024 was the 3rd warmest December-March period on record. All of the 6 warmest December-March periods have occurred since 2000. Five of them have occurred since 2010: 2011-2012 (1st), 2015-2016 (2nd), 2019-2020 (6th), 2022-2023 (4th), and 2023-2024 (3rd). This outcome is consistent with climate change that is producing ongoing warming.

Specifically, periods of rain will develop overnight and continue tomorrow. Temperatures will likely top out in the lower 50s. Tuesday through Thursday will see additional rainfall with highs in the 40s. Central and upstate New York and central and northern New England could see accumulating snow during the week.

The precipitation will add to the impressive totals that have accumulated since January 1st. January 1-March 31 precipitation includes:

Albany: 11.89" (4th highest)
Allentown: 13.79" (8th highest)
Atlantic City: 18.22" (1st highest)
Bangor: 13.41" (6th highest)
Binghamton: 10.98" (3rd highest)
Boston: 17.23" (8th highest)
Bridgeport: 18.30" (2nd highest)
Concord: 15.04" (6th highest)
Hartford: 18.23" (2nd highest)
Islip: 19.23" (4th highest)
Manchester: 14.41" (9th highest)
Mount Pocono: 18.08" (3rd highest)
New York City-Central Park: 16.37" (4th highest)
New York City-JFK Airport: 17.40" (1st highest)
New York City-LaGuardia Airport: 17.29" (1st highest)
Newark: 15.26" (7th highest)
Philadelphia: 14.59" (7th highest)
Portland: 19.59" (Tied 4th highest)
Poughkeepsie: 12.72" (7th highest)
Providence: 23.85" (2nd highest)
Trenton: 15.20" (7th highest)
White Plains: 16.20" (3rd highest)
Wilmington, DE: 15.22" (5th highest)
Worcester: 18.10" (3rd highest)

Reactions: Knight Shift
The part that sucks for skiing is most VT/NH/ME resorts will close after this weekend/next weekend due to worker shortage.

Sweet! Eclipse viewing looking good, as of now, for much of the northland from NY to ME, so ME might be my first choice and having snow on the ground would be a bonus.
Make sure that wherever you were planning on going is by paved road.

The unpaved roads in Maine (and there are many, for example at Baxter where Mt Katahdin is) will be a muddy mess with this storm followed by warmer weather.

Way above for winter (DJF) and March was one of the wettest ever on top of that. Here's an excerpt from the NJ Climatologist on this past winter for NJ, overall.

Winter Overview

The winter of 2023/2024 (December–February) ranked in the top 10 for mildest temperatures and most precipitation (rain and melted snow). The 37.5° average was 3.5° above normal and ranked 9th mildest. Nine of the ten mildest winters of the past 135 have occurred since 1997/98, with five in the past eight years (Table 3). This was only the second winter this century to place in the top 10 for precipitation, with five ranking high before the middle of the 20th century (Table 4).

Winter precipitation (rain and melted snow/sleet) averaged 16.16”. This is 5.54” above the 1991–2020 normal and ranks as the 4th wettest on record. Northern NJ led the way, with West Milford (Passaic) catching 23.62”, followed by Mine Hill Township (Morris) 23.13”, Jefferson Township (Morris) 21.66”, Mount Arlington (Morris) 21.27”, and Denville (Morris) 21.25” (Figure 9). Southern dry areas still came in above normal, including the driest in Pitman (Gloucester) with 14.02”, Little Egg Harbor Township (Ocean) 14.47”, Galloway Township (Atlantic) 14.48”, Lower Township (Cape May) 14.66”, and Upper Deerfield (Cumberland) 14.78”.

https://www.njweather.org/content/lost-winter-february-2024-winter-20232024-recaps

And here's DonSutherland's summary of how wet it has been for the NE/Mid-Atlantic so far this year (with a few comments on how warm it has also been so far).

March 2024 finished with a mean temperature of 48.1° in New York City. That ranked as the 8th warmest March on record. The 9.04" of precipitation ranked as the 4th highest on record. 2010 and 2024 are the only two years to rank in the Top 10 for both categories in March.

In addition, with an average temperature of 42.5°, December 1, 2023 - March 31, 2024 was the 3rd warmest December-March period on record. All of the 6 warmest December-March periods have occurred since 2000. Five of them have occurred since 2010: 2011-2012 (1st), 2015-2016 (2nd), 2019-2020 (6th), 2022-2023 (4th), and 2023-2024 (3rd). This outcome is consistent with climate change that is producing ongoing warming.

Specifically, periods of rain will develop overnight and continue tomorrow. Temperatures will likely top out in the lower 50s. Tuesday through Thursday will see additional rainfall with highs in the 40s. Central and upstate New York and central and northern New England could see accumulating snow during the week.

The precipitation will add to the impressive totals that have accumulated since January 1st. January 1-March 31 precipitation includes:

Albany: 11.89" (4th highest)
Allentown: 13.79" (8th highest)
Atlantic City: 18.22" (1st highest)
Bangor: 13.41" (6th highest)
Binghamton: 10.98" (3rd highest)
Boston: 17.23" (8th highest)
Bridgeport: 18.30" (2nd highest)
Concord: 15.04" (6th highest)
Hartford: 18.23" (2nd highest)
Islip: 19.23" (4th highest)
Manchester: 14.41" (9th highest)
Mount Pocono: 18.08" (3rd highest)
New York City-Central Park: 16.37" (4th highest)
New York City-JFK Airport: 17.40" (1st highest)
New York City-LaGuardia Airport: 17.29" (1st highest)
Newark: 15.26" (7th highest)
Philadelphia: 14.59" (7th highest)
Portland: 19.59" (Tied 4th highest)
Poughkeepsie: 12.72" (7th highest)
Providence: 23.85" (2nd highest)
Trenton: 15.20" (7th highest)
White Plains: 16.20" (3rd highest)
Wilmington, DE: 15.22" (5th highest)
Worcester: 18.10" (3rd highest)
Philadelphia had the 3rd largest December rainfall ever this winter. Also the most rain in the first 3 months since 1979.

mMCMZtU.png

KxXXCmd.png

LOL this. guy. Literally not one person was disappointed he didn't do a weather thread. This all seems like a real cry for help.

LOL this. guy. Literally not one person was disappointed he didn't do a weather thread. This all seems like a real cry for help.
First post in the thread plus the others who appreciated me chiming in with useful info/answers. And the biggest cry for help on this site is you posting 25 times a day for 20+ years. Your next post that adds value will be your first.

First post in the thr

First post in the thread plus the others who appreciated me chiming in with useful info/answers. And the biggest cry for help on this site is you posting 25 times a day for 20+ years. Your next post that adds value will be your first.
It's not worth trying. Perhaps lax boy took too many balls to the head. Should seek the help he needs.

• An Internet troll is someone who enters an online discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation.
  • "Dark Tetrad" personality traits include narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy, and sadism.
  • In a study of 1200 people, Dark Tetrad scores were highest among people who said trolling was their favorite Internet activity.

It's not worth trying. Perhaps lax boy took too many balls to the head. Should seek the help he needs.

• An Internet troll is someone who enters an online discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation.
  • "Dark Tetrad" personality traits include narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy, and sadism.
  • In a study of 1200 people, Dark Tetrad scores were highest among people who said trolling was their favorite Internet activity.
Closing thoughts from the above article. Well said.

“The next time you encounter a troll online, remember:

1. These trolls are some truly difficult people.
  2. It is your suffering that brings them pleasure, so the best thing you can do is ignore them.”

I’m a bit north of that 15.6 in Maine.

Crazy year up here. Zero snows that made it worth attaching the plow to my truck all winter, two snows over 10” since spring started.
Same for me in NH.
My snowblower has not been out all winter. Worst part of these spring snowstorms is that my gravel driveway is now very soft, and my snowplow guy makes a mess of it this time of year. Much prefer snow when the driveway is frozen solid.

Same for me in NH.
My snowblower has not been out all winter. Worst part of these spring snowstorms is that my gravel driveway is now very soft, and my snowplow guy makes a mess of it this time of year. Much prefer snow when the driveway is frozen solid.
Yeah, I’ve got about 200 yds of gravel driveway, then about 1/3 of a mile of gravel road (that my neighbor or I plow) to get to pavement.

I’ll probably just be trying to scrape off the top 6 inches or so of snow tomorrow so I don’t totally rip things up.

Not too bad driving in - didn't encounter any flooding from NP to NB. We'll see what this afternoon brings.

Most locations in our area have already had 1-1.5" of rain and while we're in a lull now, heavy rain moves in again this afternoon with another 1-2" of rain likely as the coastal low starts cranking up. So some urban/stream flooding is on tap (many streams reaching minor flood stage; moderate for a few), plus the winds are really going to pick up this afternoon - hence the wind advisories for the coast for up to 50 mph gusts and a wind warning up for Monmouth for gusts up to 60 mph. On top of that we have a coastal flood warning for the NJ coast from Middlesex to Burlington, including the back bays, for 1-2' of inundation above dry ground (and 2-3' above ground for NYC/LI). Going to get pretty wild out there today and tonight.

And the snowfall amounts are going to be pretty big for interior NY/New England as per the first post in the thread. Some of the ski resorts and higher elevations will likely get 18-24" through Thursday. Will likely see a snow/sleet mixture at the lower elevations and as one moves south towards Mass and southern NY with 4-10" likely in places like the Catskills and Berkshires and the lower elevations in NY/VT/NH/ME (like the coast). High winds throughout that area too.

Most locations in our area have already had 1-1.5" of rain and while we're in a lull now, heavy rain moves in again this afternoon with another 1-2" of rain likely as the coastal low starts cranking up. So some urban/stream flooding is on tap (many streams reaching minor flood stage; moderate for a few), plus the winds are really going to pick up this afternoon - hence the wind advisories for the coast for up to 50 mph gusts and a wind warning up for Monmouth for gusts up to 60 mph. On top of that we have a coastal flood warning for the NJ coast from Middlesex to Burlington, including the back bays, for 1-2' of inundation above dry ground (and 2-3' above ground for NYC/LI). Going to get pretty wild out there today and tonight.

And the snowfall amounts are going to be pretty big for interior NY/New England as per the first post in the thread. Some of the ski resorts and higher elevations will likely get 18-24" through Thursday. Will likely see a snow/sleet mixture at the lower elevations and as one moves south towards Mass and southern NY with 4-10" likely in places like the Catskills and Berkshires and the lower elevations in NY/VT/NH/ME (like the coast). High winds throughout that area too.
With the very wet ground and the wind gusts downed trees are likely.

Closing thoughts from the above article. Well said.

“The next time you encounter a troll online, remember:

1. These trolls are some truly difficult people.
  2. It is your suffering that brings them pleasure, so the best thing you can do is ignore them.”
Came across this early this morning. Fantastic song, in particular the introduction. If only the "adults" could live by the words in the intro to this song, the world would be a much better place. Unfortunately, to those that need the message the most, it will fall on deaf ears and/or be mocked. Their loss. Continue to live in misery in hatred, if that's what you choose.

Hope that doesn't happen - already fought with the association about a tree that came down across a couple of backyards a few weeks ago due to high winds. (The roots snapped, first time I've seen that!) Typical association, claiming it's our responsibility when it's on common property.

Hope that doesn't happen - already fought with the association about a tree that came down across a couple of backyards a few weeks ago due to high winds. (The roots snapped, first time I've seen that!) Typical association, claiming it's our responsibility when it's on common property.
This was a bad problem in Rumson, which is a peninsula. There were a couple of wind storms after lots of rain that created quite a mess. Superstorm Sandy was really wild. Glad we left, among other reasons.

Yep, the saturated ground exacerbates things; hopefully just some isolated trees come down (and maybe a few power lines).

Have never seen anything like Sandy, though, in my life and hopefully won't see it again. We lost a ton of branches on our property, but luckily no full trees (we had lost the weak ones in previous storms), but it seemed like everywhere else had trees down all over town and the region. I recall back then I was on the Rahway Site Emergency Response Team (we had had a significant explosion of a pipe used for liquid nitrogen on site that morning - no injuries, but a close call - so were doing an investigation) and the morning after it took me about 30 minutes to find a way around all the downed trees in town so I could get to Route 1 (which is only 1/2 mile from our house) and get to work - and early that morning none of the traffic lights was working on Rt 1, making that trip an adventure, watching out for cars crossing.

HOA grief and fighting could be a fun thread, lol. My dad was president of his HOA in Vero Beach for about 10 years and he has some stories, lol. They're over the top in Florida - my sister says the rules on conformity of everything on everyone's properties is insane. And the fee increases are nuts too - my brother is renting a beachfront place in Vero and the owner said his HOA went from $800/month to $3000/month this year (almost 2X my taxes here) because they have to do building inspections/renovations (in response to the bldg that collapsed in Miami, iirc). Think I'll stay in our house, lol.

Yep, the saturated ground exacerbates things; hopefully just some isolated trees come down (and maybe a few power lines).

Have never seen anything like Sandy, though, in my life and hopefully won't see it again. We lost a ton of branches on our property, but luckily no full trees (we had lost the weak ones in previous storms), but it seemed like everywhere else had trees down all over town and the region. I recall back then I was on the Rahway Site Emergency Response Team (we had had a significant explosion of a pipe used for liquid nitrogen on site that morning - no injuries, but a close call - so were doing an investigation) and the morning after it took me about 30 minutes to find a way around all the downed trees in town so I could get to Route 1 (which is only 1/2 mile from our house) and get to work - and early that morning none of the traffic lights was working on Rt 1, making that trip an adventure, watching out for cars crossing.
Curious from firefighter perspective, and I think I may know the answer--did the liquid nitrogen spill from the exploded pipe, and did the local or county Haz Mat team respond. Guessing that liquid N2 just dissipates and other than cold exposure to whatever liquid N2 contacts, it is fairly innocuous?

Curious from firefighter perspective, and I think I may know the answer--did the liquid nitrogen spill from the exploded pipe, and did the local or county Haz Mat team respond. Guessing that liquid N2 just dissipates and other than cold exposure to whatever liquid N2 contacts, it is fairly innocuous?

Well it works pretty well on terminators. But only temporarily.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT