ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coaching Carousel

rutgersguy1

Hall of Famer
Dec 17, 2008
Well it's that time of year and the coaching carousel should be getting into full swing today/tomorrow. Louisville/Maryland/Colorado with openings in the P5. USC/NC/TT on tap with decisions to be made.

Kansas already hired Miles.

Last night reports that TT is set to fire KK but nothing official yet.

I've never seen anything official one way or the other with regards to that so I'm considering it open until they make an announcement.

I think the issue in Maryland is they have yet to settle with Durkin as far as a payout goes. Without knowing that, how can they move forward. This could play out in court for some time as I’m sure Durkin is being advised not to admit or take anything that speaks to some sort of cause in the player’s death. Canada will probably be offered another year as interim. Will he take it and stay?

I think the issue in Maryland is they have yet to settle with Durkin as far as a payout goes. Without knowing that, how can they move forward. This could play out in court for some time as I’m sure Durkin is being advised not to admit or take anything that speaks to some sort of cause in the player’s death. Canada will probably be offered another year as interim. Will he take it and stay?
I don't expect it to drag out another year....something like that might happen if some unforeseen thing happens somewhere deep in the offseason so there might not be time to handle it. I'd be surprised to see another year under an interim coach.

Don't think its related to Durkin's buyout. He's likely getting something whether it's the full payout or not shouldn't have any impact on keeping Canada or starting afresh.

We're just at the end of the season...if the AD is staying I'd expect a decision to be made fairly soon..if he gets the boot then it might drag a little longer but I'd still expect it to be done this offseason with a new AD as well.

This guy thinks NFL OC could be KK's next stop if he's let go.....maybe the Cowboys. I don't watch the NFL much anymore so don't know who but could see him be an OC there as well.

An excerpt:

Tuls: It may sound simple, but Kingsbury is really good at calling plays to his players’ strengths. As some fans are aware, a lot of NFL playcallers are awful at this. The scheme was the same of course, but he called plays completely different when he had Mahomes and Mayfield than when he coached Shimonek and Bowman. He is truly a quarterback/offensive mastermind on the level of a Matt LaFleur or John DeFilippo, and I think he will be one of the biggest bargains for an NFL team this offseason.

He is also excellent at identifying and exposing weaknesses in defensive personnel. If you watch enough Texas Tech tape, you’d find out he loves sticking his biggest receivers in the slot (Wesley, Cantrell, Amaro) to gain a mismatch, whether it’s on a slot fade or a slant across the middle where the box out the smaller defender. He is also smart with how he utilizes motion. A lot of playcallers use motion just to use motion, if that makes sense. But going back to exposing personnel weaknesses, he uses motion to create mismatches.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...ant-jason-garrett-scott-linehan-dak-prescott/

This guy thinks NFL OC could be KK's next stop if he's let go.....maybe the Cowboys. I don't watch the NFL much anymore so don't know who but could see him be an OC there as well.

An excerpt:

Tuls: It may sound simple, but Kingsbury is really good at calling plays to his players’ strengths. As some fans are aware, a lot of NFL playcallers are awful at this. The scheme was the same of course, but he called plays completely different when he had Mahomes and Mayfield than when he coached Shimonek and Bowman. He is truly a quarterback/offensive mastermind on the level of a Matt LaFleur or John DeFilippo, and I think he will be one of the biggest bargains for an NFL team this offseason.

He is also excellent at identifying and exposing weaknesses in defensive personnel. If you watch enough Texas Tech tape, you’d find out he loves sticking his biggest receivers in the slot (Wesley, Cantrell, Amaro) to gain a mismatch, whether it’s on a slot fade or a slant across the middle where the box out the smaller defender. He is also smart with how he utilizes motion. A lot of playcallers use motion just to use motion, if that makes sense. But going back to exposing personnel weaknesses, he uses motion to create mismatches.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...ant-jason-garrett-scott-linehan-dak-prescott/
I can hear your heart breaking over KK.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Well UNC has fired Fedora. Let’s see if they turn to Satterfield.
I was talking to a guy who played football for the Tarheels in the 1980s and trying to get his take on what the hell happened with Fedora. He had no explanation. Records, 2012-18.
8-4
7-5
6-7
11-3
8-5
3-9
2-10

Oh:
"With four years and $12 million remaining on his contract, Fedora will be paid out $3 million per year, according to the athletic department"
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...disastrous-2-9-mark-in-coachs-seventh-season/

I was talking to a guy who played football for the Tarheels in the 1980s and trying to get his take on what the hell happened with Fedora. He had no explanation. Records, 2012-18.
8-4
7-5
6-7
11-3
8-5
3-9
2-10

Oh:
"With four years and $12 million remaining on his contract, Fedora will be paid out $3 million per year, according to the athletic department"
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...disastrous-2-9-mark-in-coachs-seventh-season/
Littrell was on staff for the 11 win year .

An excerpt:

Belichick retires. McDaniels takes over as HC and Kingsbury is the new OC. KK has a Super Bowl ring from the Pats in 2004.

What type of offense did Fedora run?
More of an air raid type spread offense. He’s out from under Gundy and Litrell is a Leach guy. Litrell has had some good stints as OC at Arizona Indiana and UNC. His offense with Harrell at UNT showed great strides after their first year like from 120s to 20s in the 2nd and 3rd year.

Bruce Feldman reporting KK out at TT. Also talk of Ryan Day and UNC. He supposedly turned down Miss State last year. If UM doesn't move on maybe Day does.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 3m3 minutes ago
BREAKING: TexasTech is parting ways with head coach Kliff Kingsbury, source tells me. His career record at Tech: 35-40. Expect an announcement on it later today

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 2m2 minutes ago
Bruce Feldman Retweeted Bruce Feldman
Don't be surprised If Kliff Kingsbury ends up as an NFL OC in 2019. Brilliant offensive mind who stays on top of everything with his film study of cutting edge stuff in NFL and college each week.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 1h1 hour ago
One of the coaches I expect #UNC to give a lot of consideration for as its new head coach is #OhioState OC Ryan Day. His stock in coaching circles is soaring this year and he's likely to have some good options this winter.

Last edited:
Bruce Feldman reporting KK out at TT. Also talk of Ryan Day and UNC. He supposedly turned down Miss State last year. If UM doesn't move on maybe Day does.

BREAKING: TexasTech is parting ways with head coach Kliff Kingsbury, source tells me. His career record at Tech: 35-40. Expect an announcement on it later today

Don't be surprised If Kliff Kingsbury ends up as an NFL OC in 2019. Brilliant offensive mind who stays on top of everything with his film study of cutting edge stuff in NFL and college each week.

One of the coaches I expect #UNC to give a lot of consideration for as its new head coach is #OhioState OC Ryan Day. His stock in coaching circles is soaring this year and he's likely to have some good options this winter.
Any Feldman tweets about Schiano being in the running for the TT or UNC jobs?

UNC shouldn’t have fired Fedora unless they knew they could get Littrel or App state guy.

I can’t see OSU turning over their program to day.

Last edited:
Nope not yet lol. But then there's this which if you think Ash's deal was bad you're like WTF? Wonder how much of it is guaranteed?

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 15m15 minutes ago
#Illinois coaching news: Illini are extending the contract of head coach Lovie Smith through the 2023 football season. They went 4-8 this year
That will take Lovie to age 65.
4 wins, beating a bad Kent State (2-10) and Western Illinois and Rutgers gets an extension?
Blown out by Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Maryland, Nebraska and Iowa.
Played NW close.
Outside the cupcakes, they put up almost 25 points per game.

Don't see the need to do this right now. Where else is Lovie going to go?

Reactions: cicero grimes
Looks like USC is keeping Helton. His contract isn't public but one report I read mentioned there could be 15M reasons to hold on to him.

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 7m7 minutes ago
BREAKING #USC is KEEPING Clay Helton as its head coach. AD Lynn Swann "Clay Helton is our head coach and he will continue to be our head coach."

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account@BruceFeldmanCFB 4m4 minutes ago
I'm told #USC AD Lynn Swann had been telling Clay Helton for awhile that he was going to back him and that he believed USC needed stability, and Swann honored his word on all this against a ton of pressure.

From an article earlier in November:

Though the Trojans do not seem headed back to elite program status imminently under Clay Helton, Southern Cal extended him after last season’s Pac-12 championship and would owe him a boatload of money, though how much exactly is unclear because his contract isn’t public. Some informed speculation in the industry puts the number above $15 million. Either way, athletics director Lynn Swann is not likely to make a change — though we’ll see how much the temperature changes if USC loses to UCLA and Notre Dame to end the season.

That will take Lovie to age 65.
4 wins, beating a bad Kent State (2-10) and Western Illinois and Rutgers gets an extension?
Blown out by Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Maryland, Nebraska and Iowa.
Played NW close.
Outside the cupcakes, they put up almost 25 points per game.

Don't see the need to do this right now. Where else is Lovie going to go?
Don't ask me to explain AD behavior...you know I rail about their fiscal stupidity on here constantly. If it's not guaranteed I suppose not a big deal but if any of it is, what's the point.

Reactions: zazoo2002
Oh wow, hadn't seen that one. I've seen Leavitt, Venables, Brown, Littrell, Aranda. That would be a good one if they can pull it off. He's another Leach tree guy like some of the others so who knows.

Sounds unclear if the interest is reciprocal at the moment.

https://thespun.com/news/texas-tech-dana-holgorsen-interest

After TT fired and then didn’t pay Holgersens good friend Mike Leach, I doubt he considers TT. BESIDES, isn’t WVa a better job anyway?

After TT fired and then didn’t pay Holgersens good friend Mike Leach, I doubt he considers TT. BESIDES, isn’t WVa a better job anyway?
I mean who's to know for sure what's in a guy's head. Andersen left Wisconsin for Oregon State and there were other issues but I'd guess at least some of it was due to geography. Does Holgorsen have any preference for that area or not....who knows.

He's done a nice solid job at WVU. I'm sure some thought they were left for dead being out on an island in the B12 but he's done decent or better.

Reactions: RU'70
I see Holgorson leaving for the Colorado job since he's from out there. I wouldn't have fired Lovie that team is slowly getting better/more athletic from when he got there, he would have no issue going back to the nfl imo. UNC should've gave Fadora 1 more year....

Believe he’s butted heads with WVU administrators since day 1. It’s been written about a number of times.

Shocker to me...looks like Mack Brown is heading to Carolina. Well I guess here's another 2.0...let's see how he does. Is it going to better, worse or way worse?

https://247sports.com/college/north...ck-Brown-Returning-to-UNC-Football-125364206/
I think you have said it before, what do you know.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Knight Shift has his finger on the pulse of the coaching carousel, and in this case, that saying is appropriate for Mack Brown. I just looked him up. I thought the guy was in his late 70's . He is 67. Those years at Texas must have been hard on him.

I think you have said it before, what do you know.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Knight Shift has his finger on the pulse of the coaching carousel, and in this case, that saying is appropriate for Mack Brown. I just looked him up. I thought the guy was in his late 70's . He is 67. Those years at Texas must have been hard on him.
Hell, after reading that article, I would hire him:

Brown, known for his southern gentleman charm and shrewd recruiting ability, placed an emphasis on in-state rivalries by awarding his Tar Heel teams with plaques for successfully beating N.C. State, Duke and Wake Forest in a season. UNC was 21-3 against its in-state opponents from 1990-97 and was a perfect 15-0 in Brown’s final five seasons in Chapel Hill.

Brown’s 244 career wins rank 10th all-time at the FBS level of college football. His 69 wins at UNC are tied for second-most all-time. He needs four wins to become the school’s all-time winningest football coach, surpassing Dick Crum (72).

Reactions: Rutgers36
I thought it could be a cheaper route kind of move after Fedora's buyout and footballscoop thinks it could be too. We'll see when the contract comes out. We'll see if salary and buyout is lower than what you might expect or not

With Miles/Brown I guess 60+ is the new 40 lol. I feel like Miles has the fire...I don't know about Brown but like I said with Miles it depends on the staff he can put together. Sounds like Chizik could be back with him as DC and he did a stint as UNC DC with Fedora too. Even read one reporter say he'd go after KK....I don't know if I could imagine that...any link besdies both coaching in Texas I don't know..it would be a coup though if he could.

If Day gets a job I wonder if Schiano goes with him. Day said some nice things about him earlier in the season.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT